Tesla’s regenerative braking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: Tesla’s regenerative braking

Post by TomatoTomahto »

hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:35 pm my boss' X will randomly open all its doors and sometimes will randomly reboot right before getting ready to drive. its pretty hilarious.
Are you sure that he didn’t tap the Easter egg “ Model X Light Show and Trans-Siberian Orchestra?”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_E ... a_products

It’s quite entertaining, but could get old after a few times.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
hnd

Post by hnd »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm
hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:35 pm my boss' X will randomly open all its doors and sometimes will randomly reboot right before getting ready to drive. its pretty hilarious.
Are you sure that he didn’t tap the Easter egg “ Model X Light Show and Trans-Siberian Orchestra?”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_E ... a_products

It’s quite entertaining, but could get old after a few times.
he has one of the original X's. the door thing was only initially the first year he had it. last november we got into it and the doors closed and then the whole thing shut off. and we were like ok. then the spedometer came on and he put it in reverse and it would go but nothing else would turn on. by the time we made it to the house it had all came back on. he was like it does this about once a month.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:47 pm he has one of the original X's. the door thing was only initially the first year he had it. last november we got into it and the doors closed and then the whole thing shut off. and we were like ok. then the spedometer came on and he put it in reverse and it would go but nothing else would turn on. by the time we made it to the house it had all came back on. he was like it does this about once a month.
They have since upgraded the CPUs (quite extensively). My X (VIN 0002xx, very early) also occasionally reboots lately. I am in line to get the CPU replaced, free, even though my car is past warranty.
Paradise

Post by Paradise »

hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:35 pm
Paradise wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:04 am IIRC there is a setting to reduce it, but as others have posted you’ll be addicted to it after a bit of time so it’s probably moot. The first time I drove a Tesla, I won’t lie I was a bit scared.

Teslas are amazing cars. I have an X myself.

Just be prepared for random build quality issues that you’re probably not used to in other cars. The entire car is a big computer so it has more little problems but less severe problems if that makes sense. Don’t fall for the talk about it having no maintenance. Instead of replacing spark plugs you’ll be replacing door sensors or build quality issues like screws/bolts that just doesn’t happen in other cars. In two years I’ve taken it in for loud grinding noises while driving/turning 4 times — something you wouldn’t expect from a $100,000 car. You at least won’t have to worry about a transmission failure, though. It’s still a car company in its infancy stage. Nowhere near the reliability and experience of Toyota, for example.

It sounds like you’re buying new so you won’t have to pay for 4 years but just know it will be in the shop at least a couple times a year whereas you’d expect 0 problems from other cars in their first 4 years.
my boss' X will randomly open all its doors and sometimes will randomly reboot right before getting ready to drive. its pretty hilarious. he still basically loves the vehicle and has been a car guy his entire life. but he's always cursing about it for this or that.
He might need his memory cleared. I had lots of reboot / slowness and they said my memory was somehow 80% full. It doesn’t cleanup well and just accumulates junk over time. Makes sense given it’s 5 year old .
50% VTI | 20% VXUS | 20% BND | 10% QQQ
rob

Post by rob »

Paradise wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:30 pm One added benefit of the brakes that I forgot to mention is if you pair it with the early collision detection warning. When milliseconds count between a collision or not, the added deceleration while changing your foot to the brake could save you.
Depends on driving style... I always left foot brake on an automatic.... I bet I can get to the stop pedal faster than anyone that flips right foot back and forth regardless of electric or not.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Paradise

Post by Paradise »

rob wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:22 pm
Paradise wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:30 pm One added benefit of the brakes that I forgot to mention is if you pair it with the early collision detection warning. When milliseconds count between a collision or not, the added deceleration while changing your foot to the brake could save you.
Depends on driving style... I always left foot brake on an automatic.... I bet I can get to the stop pedal faster than anyone that flips right foot back and forth regardless of electric or not.
Not sure how this is relevant considering nearly everyone drives with 1 foot, but yes.. if you choose to drive with 2 feet, this is not as much of an advantage.
50% VTI | 20% VXUS | 20% BND | 10% QQQ
bagle

Post by bagle »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:37 am
katnok wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:29 am We’ve been thinking of buying an EV, specifically a Tesla. So, yesterday I test drove model Y. I liked the car overall but one thing that really annoyed me was regenerative braking, which the sales guy said was standard on all the latest models and can’t be turned off.

I’m wondering if I will ever be able to get used to it.
How long did it take for those of you who found themselves in this situation?

Thank you.
It took me two days to get used to it. Now it bugs me when it is diminished (it is diminished when the car is cold and/or charged full). I got accustomed to one pedal driving literally overnight.
This. Though it took me 3 days to get used to it. Now I find it annoying to have to constantly use 2 pedals in an ICE.

Although you can't turn it off, you can attenuate it.
squirm

Post by squirm »

bagle wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:08 am
katnok wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:29 am We’ve been thinking of buying an EV, specifically a Tesla. So, yesterday I test drove model Y. I liked the car overall but one thing that really annoyed me was regenerative braking, which the sales guy said was standard on all the latest models and can’t be turned off.

Thank you.
It took me two days to get used to it. Now it bugs me when it is diminished (it is diminished when the car is cold and/or charged full). I got accustomed to one pedal driving literally overnight.
This. Though it took me 3 days to get used to it. Now I find it annoying to have to constantly use 2 pedals in an ICE.

One pedal driving works great in city and stop and go traffic. Actually it works great all the time.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

squirm wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:27 am

Thank you.

One pedal driving works great in city and stop and go traffic. Actually it works great all the time.
One pedal driving is one of my favorite features of the Tesla Model 3. (And it didn’t have it when I bought it, they added it later via over the air software update).
squirm

Post by squirm »

Normchad wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:29 am
squirm wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:27 am

Thank you.

One pedal driving is one of my favorite features of the Tesla Model 3. (And it didn’t have it when I bought it, they added it later via over the air software update).
Yes. Not only is driving from a motor smoother, but one pedal makes it even smoother. No jarring going from gas to brake either. I think this feature alone is helping accelerate EV sales.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

i dont think it has previously ever been criticized "wow, i dislike this (traditional) car because going from gas to brake is so jarring....."
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

hunoraut wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:05 am i dont think it has previously ever been criticized "wow, i dislike this (traditional) car because going from gas to brake is so jarring....."
True, but I have bad ankles and appreciate the reduced ankle involvement. I also gave up on manual transmissions after I began driving on the Long Island Expressway (a parking lot much of the time). :beer
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

hunoraut wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:05 am i dont think it has previously ever been criticized "wow, i dislike this (traditional) car because going from gas to brake is so jarring....."
I never found it jarring either but once you have one pedal driving you just don't want to give it up. Also nice to know the energy once being wasted in braking is now creating more mpg.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:17 am True, but I have bad ankles and appreciate the reduced ankle involvement. I also gave up on manual transmissions after I began driving on the Long Island Expressway (a parking lot much of the time). :beer
for traffic jams, ive found "autopilot" (or any equivalent distance-based CC + autosteer) function to be a godsend. dont use it much in normal driving otherwise
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I had a Yamaha golf cart with this regenerative charging as you glide down a hill, took that energy back into a generator, into battery system. And that was 20 years ago.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I test drove one and found it very intuitive and actually very helpful when driving on winding roads.