How to get out of a timeshare presentation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
squirm

Re: How to get out of a timeshare presentation?

Post by squirm »

Just tell them you can buy it in the secondary market for pennies on the dollar.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

squirm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:48 pm Just tell them you can buy it in the secondary market for pennies on the dollar.
Agent: "Sir, those are cheap knockoffs that might not last forever. Please purchase a legitimate timeshare from us."
hnd

Post by hnd »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm
hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:40 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:38 pm
hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:09 pm once again, they do not care that you are doing it just for the free stuff. they know already know that's the case. nobody is going to these thinking they are going to buy a timeshare.
I think this is good advice worth highlighting. Some posters mentioned the idea of playing with them, snatching the free stuff then eventually bail.

This is dangerous. Not everyone can do this, some people end up buying a timeshare against their (original) will.

Don't give them an inch. Say no from the get go and keep saying no until they leave you alone.
like i mentioned, the data tells them that one out of 10 will buy. and 90% of those buyers has 0 intention of buying when they stepped foot in the door. ask any person you know who actually owns a time share. not inherited one, but bought it themselves. they didn't intend to almost ever time.
I need not go any further than my parents. They fell for it in front of my very eyes. I was against it but they didn't listen.
we watched an older couple that were at our table sign on the dotted line. it was like watching a mugging. i felt dirty afterwards. but then sigmund made a tiger jump through a hoop and it helped me forget all about it.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm I need not go any further than my parents. They fell for it in front of my very eyes. I was against it but they didn't listen.
That must have been painful.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

squirm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:43 am
Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am Just keep saying "no thanks, we're not interested, please check us in promptly." Don't give them an inch. Don't make an appointment for a presentation, don't show any interest in resort credits or excursions.
Excatly, I've played the timeshare presentation a few times. If you want to play aggressive you put out your phone and start the timer with the alarm and say you're giving then xx amount of time per the rules, after that it's over. I did that, within a few minutes they just said ok, here's the gift (cheap trip to Hawaii, but turned out only 3 days, so never took it). The other thing is never let them hold you captive, meaning of they say they'll drive you somewhere, drive yourself.

I don't mind doing them but the wife says no way.

Tell them "No means no".
We've done too many of these to remember. Over time, we've realized the reward HAS to be worth the pain.
We'll only sign up ahead of time, knowing we are a getting a big discount to a place we wanted to go anyway. e.g. $500k for a week stay that would cost $2500.
At the preso, my wife and i agreed that we would obviously say No, but also mention that we may not be in our current location for long. So, we don't want any kind of commitment, this kinda speeded up the budget/cost hard sell as we weren't interested at ANY price. It's been worthwhile to us, a good way to get a cheap vacation, only when the reward is BIG.
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

mptfan wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:03 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm I need not go any further than my parents. They fell for it in front of my very eyes. I was against it but they didn't listen.
Talk about painful. My parents - already in their early 70s - fell for this while visiting Cancun in 2009. I think they paid $15,000 and have been paying fees for this ever since, and they have not visited even once. I only wish that that communications were easy then, like they are now, with easy cell phone access. If they had told me right when they bought it, and not after their 10 day vacation, I could have flown down there and had the contract rescinded, within the 5 business days allowed under Mexican law.

All I can do now is to protect them from scammers offering to arrange the sale of their timeshare at a ridiculously high price, for a fee. :annoyed
squirm

Post by squirm »

hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:01 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm
hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:40 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:38 pm
hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:09 pm once again, they do not care that you are doing it just for the free stuff. they know already know that's the case. nobody is going to these thinking they are going to buy a timeshare.
I think this is good advice worth highlighting. Some posters mentioned the idea of playing with them, snatching the free stuff then eventually bail.

This is dangerous. Not everyone can do this, some people end up buying a timeshare against their (original) will.

Don't give them an inch. Say no from the get go and keep saying no until they leave you alone.
like i mentioned, the data tells them that one out of 10 will buy. and 90% of those buyers has 0 intention of buying when they stepped foot in the door. ask any person you know who actually owns a time share. not inherited one, but bought it themselves. they didn't intend to almost ever time.
I need not go any further than my parents. They fell for it in front of my very eyes. I was against it but they didn't listen.
we watched an older couple that were at our table sign on the dotted line. it was like watching a mugging. i felt dirty afterwards. but then sigmund made a tiger jump through a hoop and it helped me forget all about it.
They signed because some people don't mind overspending for things like this. It happens all the time.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:09 pm
squirm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:43 am
Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am Just keep saying "no thanks, we're not interested, please check us in promptly." Don't give them an inch. Don't make an appointment for a presentation, don't show any interest in resort credits or excursions.
Excatly, I've played the timeshare presentation a few times. If you want to play aggressive you put out your phone and start the timer with the alarm and say you're giving then xx amount of time per the rules, after that it's over. I did that, within a few minutes they just said ok, here's the gift (cheap trip to Hawaii, but turned out only 3 days, so never took it). The other thing is never let them hold you captive, meaning of they say they'll drive you somewhere, drive yourself.

I don't mind doing them but the wife says no way.

Tell them "No means no".
We've done too many of these to remember. Over time, we've realized the reward HAS to be worth the pain.
We'll only sign up ahead of time, knowing we are a getting a big discount to a place we wanted to go anyway. e.g. $500k for a week stay that would cost $2500.
At the preso, my wife and i agreed that we would obviously say No, but also mention that we may not be in our current location for long. So, we don't want any kind of commitment, this kinda speeded up the budget/cost hard sell as we weren't interested at ANY price. It's been worthwhile to us, a good way to get a cheap vacation, only when the reward is BIG.
I used to have fun with these, I had no problem playing the game but the wife put a stop to it. She doesn't like to see me get tense and nasty even when I said it's all an act on my part.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

CardinalRule wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:24 pm
mptfan wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:03 pm
Talk about painful. My parents - already in their early 70s - fell for this while visiting Cancun in 2009. I think they paid $15,000 and have been paying fees for this ever since, and they have not visited even once. I only wish that that communications were easy then, like they are now, with easy cell phone access. If they had told me right when they bought it, and not after their 10 day vacation, I could have flown down there and had the contract rescinded, within the 5 business days allowed under Mexican law.

All I can do now is to protect them from scammers offering to arrange the sale of their timeshare at a ridiculously high price, for a fee. :annoyed
Unfortunately you will need to deal with this at some point in the future, as it is truly the gift that continues to pillage from the grave. Best of luck.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

OnBoard wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:02 am We're heading to Mexico next week for a stay at a mega resort. Friends who recently went told us that while checking in, they lay on a very aggressive attempt to get you to attend a timeshare presentation in exchange for resort credits or excursions. This ploy significantly delays the check-in process.

Looking for advice on how to get out of a timeshare presentation and just enjoy my darn vacation!

Can I tell them that I've just declared bankruptcy or that I'm headed to prison soon? :wink:
Many years ago back in late 90s We picked up one of those tickets in the shopping mall, so they called us to congratulate us for winning cassette boom box. Shortly we realized we got into the money carousel and we realized that this is one of those timeshares skim sales torture chambers. So we stayed anyway just out of principal to get our precious free gift . We stayed, said NO a million times after they gave up on us we picked up music stereo and left. The end.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:37 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:21 am Say yes. Make an appointment. Check in. Don't bother going during appointment time.

DW and I used to go to time share presentations for really good prizes. During one presentation, at the end, they laid on the "If I can now show you how buying this timeshare, would you consider buying?". I answered "No". They were quite upset and came back with our prize certificates (restaurant credit, if I remember right). They then said "I'm trying to make a living. If you really won't consider buying, you should tell us up front".

Next year, we get the timeshare flier at the airport. It touts prizes, Prizes, PRIZES!!! It also pays taxi fare. We go. Remembering the last sales person's words, before we even get to the first building to get the hard sell, they ask "If we can show how you can save money on vacations, would you consider buying?". My answer: "No". They stopped in their tracks, said "stay here". Came back with $10 cab fare, all in coins and the prizes. Again the lecture "I'm trying to make a living. Why did you come if you're not interested?". "Well, the flier (I pull it out) talks about prizes, Prizes, PRIZES!!! Nothing about a stupid timeshare". We get a certificate for a very nice restaurant. We had Caribbean lobster.
IMO, it's disingenuous to accept an offer like this that you have no intention of considering. As represented in your examples, these people earn a living by peddling these products to people.

I don't get this double edged attitude.
When companies are disloyal, dishonest, heartless, careless etc is "just business". But if individuals treat companies the same way, they are "dishonest". People fall so easy for all the tricks companies use against them.
When somebody has a dishonest job trying to part gullible people with their money they make an ""honest living", but if I treat them the same, I am dishonest.

When your business model implies that you spend 1-2-3000$ per person and hope that you you will sell them something worth hundreds of thousand, it is obvious that your probability of success is in single digits, maybe low double. It's all baked in. How can be dishonest to take an invitation at its face value? It does not have any obligation attached, it's just that we guess based on our prejudices that it has one.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

If they're going to hound me the minute I walk in the lobby of the hotel (as they did in Vegas a few years ago), I don't feel bad at all taking their gifts. I even told the girl in the lobby we're not interested and she kept on and said just go to the presentation. So I said ok and then just said "no" repeatedly to the salesman. And then went to Ruth's Chris for dinner. Didn't feel bad one bit.

As for the OP, it doesn't sound like you're trying to get out of the timeshare presentation. It sounds like you're trying to get past the girl/guy in the lobby. Just walk past them and don't make eye contact. If they won't relent, keep saying no and move on. Or go to the presentation and take their gifts. It's not that hard to get out of the first part. The second part after you commit is harder.
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:21 am Say yes. Make an appointment. Check in. Don't bother going during appointment time.

DW and I used to go to time share presentations for really good prizes. During one presentation, at the end, they laid on the "If I can now show you how buying this timeshare, would you consider buying?". I answered "No". They were quite upset and came back with our prize certificates (restaurant credit, if I remember right). They then said "I'm trying to make a living. If you really won't consider buying, you should tell us up front".

Next year, we get the timeshare flier at the airport. It touts prizes, Prizes, PRIZES!!! It also pays taxi fare. We go. Remembering the last sales person's words, before we even get to the first building to get the hard sell, they ask "If we can show how you can save money on vacations, would you consider buying?". My answer: "No". They stopped in their tracks, said "stay here". Came back with $10 cab fare, all in coins and the prizes. Again the lecture "I'm trying to make a living. Why did you come if you're not interested?". "Well, the flier (I pull it out) talks about prizes, Prizes, PRIZES!!! Nothing about a stupid timeshare". We get a certificate for a very nice restaurant. We had Caribbean lobster.
IMO, it's disingenuous to accept an offer like this that you have no intention of considering. As represented in your examples, these people earn a living by peddling these products to people. If you go into it with no intention of considering their offer, you're possibly taking someone else's spot, and you're wasting the time of the person. Try role reversal. Make pretend you're a car salesperson, or a drug salesperson, or any salesperson in a profession, and that your mortgage/rent payment and bills are dependent on you completing commission sales. You make your case, and the person blows you off and takes the incentive offered.

We attended one or two of these maybe 40 years ago. Have no intention of ever going again. IMO, timeshares are a sucker's "investment", and I have better things to do with my time then spending 90 minutes listening to a spiel of something that I'm not going to accept. Well various money-making schemes might be of interest to me in retirement, this isn't one of them.

To me, the OP's situation sounded like he was going on a trip where, when checking in, an offer is presented. In other words, it's not a discounted travel offer in return for timeshare presentation attendance, it's an offer presented at check in for other incentives. A simple, "no, thank you" should be enough to dissuade the person. If it isn't, I would simply walk away. I'd also seek out management and explain to them that they've started my vacation negatively, because a simple and polite "no thank you" should be enough. I'd also never knowingly go to such a resort if I know I'm going to be accosted with this at check in.

I've made sure that all the hotel loyalty programs I belong to know not to solicit me for timeshares.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

My parents always seems to think 1) they had worked harder for less at their day jobs and 2) the sales people should be exposed to someone who isn't at all susceptible to their pitch.
Last edited by sailaway on Tue May 18, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hnd

Post by hnd »

my first and last name lends for this to be much easier than most, but just learn a few key phrases in some crazy language. Ne govorim engleski . koji put do kupatila? if for some reason one of them speaks Bosnian, I don't really know how to help you.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:58 pm my first and last name lends for this to be much easier than most, but just learn a few key phrases in some crazy language. Ne govorim engleski . koji put do kupatila? if for some reason one of them speaks Bosnian, I don't really know how to help you.
But the invitation is send only to American citizens or at least residents. Also unfortunately my other passport is expired.
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

My advice is to speak to no one in the lobby until you are at the registration desk. I find that after the third “No, graciás” or so they will live on to someone more promising.
pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss »

There were two things on my last visit to Mexico that I wasn't prepared for. They are obvious in hindsight as I type them in this comment, but we were coming off a long day of travel.

As we were walking through the airport after arriving, airport employees diverted us into this room. Turns out, they weren't airport employees. They were timeshare solicitors dressed as airport employees using airport facilities. Had we known they weren't airport employees, we would have walked past them.

The solicitors wanted us to sign up for a free breakfast appointment. They were relentless, so we scheduled a free breakfast appointment.. and then never showed up for the breakfast appointment.

I was surprised and disappointed that the airport, presumably a government run entity, was enabling a schema that hurts tourists, the bread and butter of the Cancun economy.

Later at the hotel, hotel employees started pressuring us for a free breakfast. They insisted they weren't selling timeshares. Turns out they were selling Vacation Club shares, a timeshare by a different name.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 am Maybe you are an insurance agent. I'm going to come to your office, and have you give me all sorts of quotes - homeowners, auto, boat, liability umbrella. Then, after all that work, I'm going to tell you that I have no interest in insurance.

You took hours of your time to prepare the quotes and meet with me, and you didn't meet with Bob because you were booked. Bob went with another agent, sorry.
I try not to waste my insurance agent's time because she tries not to waste my time, is forthright about the purpose of our interactions, is responsive to my interests, and if she pitches something I'm not interested in, she accepts my answer. She didn't set the same expectations or write the same rules as the timeshare sales companies.

They literally ask for what the prior poster did. In the effort to make sales, they push, cajole, tempt, mislead, delay, cast doubt, incentivize, rationalize, etc. The logic seems to be if they don't try, they lose the sale by default, so they try regardless of the level of interest.

If all their other tactics fail, they can try guilt, too. "I'm just trying to earn a living, why did you waste my time?" might be coming from a new guy who hasn't yet realized the nature of the job, but I'd bet more often it not, it's a last ditch sales tactic they were trained to try to attempt to get you to at least commit to think about it.

The wasted time from the leads who never had any interest is part of the overhead of the business model. The payback is the handful of leads who eventually buy, including those who originally had no interest, but either were convinced or buckled to the aggressive sales tactics.

For those who care to deal with the hassle for a free dinner or electronic gadget, what the prior poster did was playing within the rules of a sales game written by the timeshare company, just like stealing a base is within the rules of baseball. This business model has been around for decades. They are well aware that a certain percentage of leads will respond solely for the incentive.

They not only accept this, but invite those people back multiple times on the thin hope they change their minds. The one time a timeshare company tricked me into attending a sales pitch, I honestly told them I only came because they had said I won a raffle. At the end, the salesman played the guilt card on me. Yet it literally took an act of Congress (Do Not Call law) to get them to stop inviting me back, followed by "stop calling me" (multiple times), followed by "I told you to stop calling me, it's illegal for you to keep doing so, and I'm filing a complaint with the FCC."

The sooner you make clear that you have no interest, the better for both parties, but to be honest, their boss probably will not let them accept that as an answer.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Just say no. If you're going to the presentation, and want to try and shorten it, do some research ahead of time. If you have an ebay account, look up that timeshare and do a search on it, checking the box for "completed" transactions, to see what it's been reselling for. Loudly ask why it's reselling for 1% of retail price on ebay
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

hnd wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:58 pm my first and last name lends for this to be much easier than most, but just learn a few key phrases in some crazy language. Ne govorim engleski . koji put do kupatila? if for some reason one of them speaks Bosnian, I don't really know how to help you.
Perfect.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Starfish wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:49 pmI don't get this double edged attitude.
When companies are disloyal, dishonest, heartless, careless etc is "just business". But if individuals treat companies the same way, they are "dishonest". People fall so easy for all the tricks companies use against them.
When somebody has a dishonest job trying to part gullible people with their money they make an ""honest living", but if I treat them the same, I am dishonest.
I get where the other posters are coming from. It's not really about double standards, but about an ethic of doing what is right regardless of how others behave, being the better person, turning the other cheek, etc.

But I make the point in more detail in a post just a little bit upthread that the sense of it being wrong to accept the incentive despite a firm intention not to buy is mistaken. The condition for accepting the gift is not that you be open to buying the product. It's only that you show up to give them a chance to convince you otherwise.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Say NO.
Do not say No thank you.
Do not be polite.
Your NO should be aggressive.
Do not engage in any way beyond NO.
Do not tell them your name.
Do not offer excuses. Simply NO.
Walk away.

You would act that way if an aggressive dirty panhandler approached you about getting $5 from you.
This is no different.
Their job is to be friendly. Fake friendly. To get you in to sit down. Maybe you are like those BHs who feel that a few hours of wasted time in your weeks vacation will be OK and that they will be able to resist and be rewarded with some freebie.
I say, you paid for a vacation and you needn’t look for a freebie. You are a BH in control of your finances. Not a college student going to a non friends wedding just so you can get a free meal.
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

So I've never understood how folks get talked into these things, but I had a colleague who actually liked the timeshare he and his wife had in Vegas, I think it was with Hilton. Going to Vegas every year was their thing and I got the impression it was worth their while ......
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

One thing I have used successfully in other settings is "Is there any way to fast forward through this spiel, as I won't be signing up for X, no matter what you offer me, [and I would like to get to my room now].
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Starfish wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:49 pm

IMO, it's disingenuous to accept an offer like this that you have no intention of considering. As represented in your examples, these people earn a living by peddling these products to people.

I don't get this double edged attitude.

When your business model implies that you spend 1-2-3000$ per person and hope that you you will sell them something worth hundreds of thousand, it is obvious that your probability of success is in single digits, maybe low double. It's all baked in. How can be dishonest to take an invitation at its face value? It does not have any obligation attached, it's just that we guess based on our prejudices that it has one.
This whole thing about "I'm trying to make a living. Why did you come if you're not interested?" sounds like a sales tactic to be honest.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Starfish wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:12 pm
But the invitation is send only to American citizens or at least residents. Also unfortunately my other passport is expired.
I think the point was to speak some crazy language. Citizenship and passports are not relevant here.
Jim Baround

Post by Jim Baround »

What resort? I'm at Vidanta right now, the post check-in attempt to get you to sign up for the timeshare presentation is the heaviest I've ever experienced. That being said, I just said not interested, said it like 5 times, and told them if they wanted to over me something worthwhile for my time, like a few hundred dollars, to give me a call.

At most the saying no process is like 10 minutes of your time. Now if you actually do the presentation, it will be a lot more of saying no.

Also, I completely disagree with the person who says you shouldn't go if you absolutely have zero intention of buying. In fact, I bet if you told them in advance there is zero chance you would buy, they would still pester you to sign up. The % of people who say they won't buy but then do has to be pretty high.
scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 »

I will usually say

"Look, I don't want to waste your time, I have absolutely no interest in your _____, sorry" Fill in with excursions, timeshares, prizes, freebies..i.e whatever they are trying to sell me on. I don't think I have ever been asked more than once on a trip with that statement.

FYI, this works when people come knocking on our door soliciting services as well. I don't think I've ever had someone trying to stick around after that sentence... maybe it's something about us.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

OnBoard wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:02 am We're heading to Mexico next week for a stay at a mega resort. Friends who recently went told us that while checking in, they lay on a very aggressive attempt to get you to attend a timeshare presentation in exchange for resort credits or excursions. This ploy significantly delays the check-in process.

Looking for advice on how to get out of a timeshare presentation and just enjoy my darn vacation!

Can I tell them that I've just declared bankruptcy or that I'm headed to prison soon? :wink:
Bring your kids. A crying child should do the trick.
krslw

Post by krslw »

If someone tries to commandeer my attention for a purpose I do not desire, I treat them as they do not exist. I do not look at them, I do not answer them, and I do not give them any reason to believe that I will ever acknowledge them. Simply ignoring salespeople without any response or human interaction is very effective. Of course, most people feel obligated to give human responses to other humans. I do not. There is no dearth of people in this world who want to waste your time and effort. Give them neither.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Monsterflockster wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:03 pmBring your kids. A crying child should do the trick.
She is 34 years old.
Will they fall for it?
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
celia

Post by celia »

It seems you've been warned. Now your choice is to either change your plans to another resort or be prepared to have a long check-in process. Your choice!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

I'm a bit confused by some of the comments, including this initial post.
It seems to express surprise about attempts to "get you to attend a time share presentation"...
Aggressive attempts "while checking in" doesn't suggest advance planning or agreement to attend something like this.

Are these not trips that involve "special deals" IN ADVANCE, such as the "get <x> free" if you'll agree to attend our 'special presentation' aka sales pitch, etc.?

Are people actually making their own reservations (or going through regular travel agents) for resort trips and then being blindsided with these timeshare pitches, aggressive or otherwise?
Having brochures near check in desks or even on coffee tables in rooms (along with those commercialized "things to see and do in AnyTown") is quite different.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

Good grief! I had no idea that these resorts have time share solicitations upon check-in's/out's!

It's a good thing I don't speak English. :beer Such attempts will fall flat.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Sometimes this stuff comes up even when you aren't taking advantage of any sort of deals, and even when you aren't visiting a time share.

My wife is a physician and about 5 years ago we attended a medical conference at an all-expenses paid resort in the Dominican Republic. It was the typical CME conference where doctors go to get their required continuing education credits. We paid full price (well, her employer did) for lodging and the conference with no discounts or prizes or anything. And we didn't even know it was a time share sort of place. It was just a big fancy all-inclusive corporate resort.

Upon checking in a guy showed up who introduced himself and said he was going to be our personal guide or concierge or whatever for our stay. And as soon as we had our room keys he invited us over to a table to explain how the resort worked. Which was fine, we did need to know how things worked. But 3 minutes in after explaining the dining, pool, and beach options he skillfully transitioned into the time share sales bullshit. I don't actually think it was time share exactly, some kind of membership system where you could buy weeks at any of their resorts. I was very pissed when I figured it out and said, look, we are tired as hell from traveling here. You can find us AFTER our stay here and we will let you know if this is something we want to invest in, although I doubt it. But I'm not interesting in hearing your sales bullshit right now. So if you will excuse us, we are going to be heading to our room now.

I was severely pissed, even though we only had maybe 5 min of our time wasted before I put an end to it. The fact that it was entirely unexpected made it all the more annoying.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

I must lived a very sheltered life. Do I have this right, you go into a hotel and check in, some guy hustles you for a timeshare while registering, with the hotel’s consent? If so, you need stay elsewhere.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

pointyhairedboss wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:20 pm There were two things on my last visit to Mexico that I wasn't prepared for. They are obvious in hindsight as I type them in this comment, but we were coming off a long day of travel.

As we were walking through the airport after arriving, airport employees diverted us into this room. Turns out, they weren't airport employees. They were timeshare solicitors dressed as airport employees using airport facilities. Had we known they weren't airport employees, we would have walked past them.

The solicitors wanted us to sign up for a free breakfast appointment. They were relentless, so we scheduled a free breakfast appointment.. and then never showed up for the breakfast appointment.

I was surprised and disappointed that the airport, presumably a government run entity, was enabling a schema that hurts tourists, the bread and butter of the Cancun economy.

Later at the hotel, hotel employees started pressuring us for a free breakfast. They insisted they weren't selling timeshares. Turns out they were selling Vacation Club shares, a timeshare by a different name.
I had heard about these official looking scammers with their clipboards and official looking name tags at Cancun airport. So when I traveled with a friend, I warned him against speaking to them. When I can out of the ladies room, sure enough he was speaking to one anyway! I rushed over to the scammer and shouted "No!" in his face. Then turned to my friend and said, I told you not to talk to them!! But, they looked so official, he moaned. Later he vacationed without me and bought one! Now 3 years later, he's losing money because he seldom has the time to take the overpriced vacation he paid for!
tmhudg

Post by tmhudg »

JediMisty wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:14 pm
I had heard about these official looking scammers with their clipboards and official looking name tags at Cancun airport. So when I traveled with a friend, I warned him against speaking to them. When I can out of the ladies room, sure enough he was speaking to one anyway! I rushed over to the scammer and shouted "No!" in his face. Then turned to my friend and said, I told you not to talk to them!! But, they looked so official, he moaned. Later he vacationed without me and bought one! Now 3 years later, he's losing money because he seldom has the time to take the overpriced vacation he paid for!
The timeshare barkers at Cancun airport are pretty good. Before my first trip I had heard all about them and very successfully marched right past them and out the doors to the waiting ground transportation (set that up in advance - that's another scam system).

I made repeated trips through CUN and kept marching on by like a pro. Then one trip, with all my past experience, I got snagged. The guy was extra official looking and got me to stop. He started explaining that the transportation setup had changed and I needed to go to another location. I was confused for about 10 seconds and then realized what was happening. I gave him a wry smile and he smiled back. My wife and I waved goodbye and continued our walk out to our waiting transport. Those guys are good - be careful out there.

Oh, and the resort I go to for all these trips has a membership program that they try to get my to buy into on each trip. I politely tell them no a few times and that's the end of it. They are incredulous that I haven't bought in after all these trips and in hindsight I maybe should have but it's just not something I want to have hanging over me. It's a small annoyance when checking in but I love the resort so much that I'll pay that price gladly.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Travel to some place better and safer than Mexico. Scams and lawlessness are too much the norm in Mexico.
Wannaretireearly

Jeepergeo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:16 pm

Travel to some place better and safer than Mexico. Scams and lawlessness are too much the norm in Mexico.
Sad. But some truth. Loved each of our Mexico trips. In other news we have numerous freeway shootings 20 miles away, with some deaths, that dont even make national news. Maybe Mexico isn't so bad...
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:22 pm

Sad. But some truth. Loved each of our Mexico trips. In other news we have numerous freeway shootings 20 miles away, with some deaths, that dont even make national news. Maybe Mexico isn't so bad...
What city and when? Freeway shootings in the USA normally get a ton of press coverage and I've seen none if that recently.
Wannaretireearly

Jeepergeo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:38 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:22 pm

What city and when? Freeway shootings in the USA normally get a ton of press coverage and I've seen none if that recently.
https://abc7news.com/shooting-in-milpit ... /10652929/

https://abc7news.com/oakland-party-bus- ... /10655384/
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

We rented points at a timeshare near Disney. They have a special desk at check in to snag people, but they’re less aggressive than most. One time we were asked, “don’t you like it here?”... look, it’s a no for me.

Now that said, we inherited a timeshare from a family member that we intend to use. The yearly fees are less than staying there, the points are easy to sell, and we didn’t make the initial purchase.
hnd

Post by hnd »

Wricha wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:08 pm I must lived a very sheltered life. Do I have this right, you go into a hotel and check in, some guy hustles you for a timeshare while registering, with the hotel’s consent? If so, you need stay elsewhere.
It used to be common. We left Sam's club to Costco for a myriad of reasons but one of my major peeves was being accosted by the Direct TV people upon entrance. I threatened Menards for the same thing (at the time held a contractor card)

the internet really helps give you an idea when looking at resorts if this thing is likely to happen. Tripadvisor had an article at some point where many resorts are ridding themselves of this due to the negative reviews they get.
hnd

Post by hnd »

investingdad wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:57 am We rented points at a timeshare near Disney. They have a special desk at check in to snag people, but they’re less aggressive than most. One time we were asked, “don’t you like it here?”... look, it’s a no for me.

Now that said, we inherited a timeshare from a family member that we intend to use. The yearly fees are less than staying there, the points are easy to sell, and we didn’t make the initial purchase.
I have a buddy who along with his 5 siblings inherited a time share. its $100 bucks a month that they split between them and they use it infrequently. I was like why didn't you just have the lawyer do whatever to get rid of it. He said his lawyer told them it would take almost 5k to get rid of it. so they were basically like screw it. lets re figure it out in 4 years.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

hnd wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:50 am
investingdad wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:57 am We rented points at a timeshare near Disney. They have a special desk at check in to snag people, but they’re less aggressive than most. One time we were asked, “don’t you like it here?”... look, it’s a no for me.

I have a buddy who along with his 5 siblings inherited a time share. its $100 bucks a month that they split between them and they use it infrequently. I was like why didn't you just have the lawyer do whatever to get rid of it. He said his lawyer told them it would take almost 5k to get rid of it. so they were basically like screw it. lets re figure it out in 4 years.
How is someone forced to inherit something they don't want, especially something that will endlessly *cost* them money?
This is one part I don't understand about time shares.
The claim is that if someone in their will "left me" their time share, I'm stuck with it?
:confused

<joke alert> Would giving someone a timeshare work the same way?
:twisted: Thinking here are a few people who might deserve one of these albatrosses. :twisted:
Heh!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
hnd

Post by hnd »

of the 5 siblings, 4 of them are highly intelligent and they were so frustrated it was unbelievable, they asked multiple lawyers and all were like it will cost you.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:18 pm How is someone forced to inherit something they don't want, especially something that will endlessly *cost* them money?
This is one part I don't understand about time shares.
The claim is that if someone in their will "left me" their time share, I'm stuck with it?
:confused

<joke alert> Would giving someone a timeshare work the same way?
:twisted: Thinking here are a few people who might deserve one of these albatrosses. :twisted:
Heh!

RM
Not a lawyer, but I thought that one could always disclaim an inheritance?

That said, once you have it, you can see many timeshares for sale on ebay for under $50, where the seller will also pay the "transfer fees." That gives you an idea as to how much the current owner values it.

link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... i=50&rt=nc
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

random_walker_77 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:23 pm Not a lawyer, but I thought that one could always disclaim an inheritance?

That said, once you have it, you can see many timeshares for sale on ebay for under $50, where the seller will also pay the "transfer fees." That gives you an idea as to how much the current owner values it.

link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... i=50&rt=nc
Yeah, I'm surprised why their lawyers advised that they have to pay. As far as I understand, there are two cases where you can't disclaim:

a) your name is on the deed of a timeshare
b) you didn't file a disclaimer on time, within 9 months after passing

Both cases should be avoidable.
ianferrel

Post by ianferrel »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 am You're taking up a salesperson's time, who makes their living pushing timeshares, instead of letting them focus on another more-gullible person. It's not chairs in the room, it's salespeople per couple.
Sounds like I'm making the world a better place, on net. I get a free dinner and I help save some sucker from a bad purchase. Like those people who keep scam callers on the phone.
Maybe you are an insurance agent. I'm going to come to your office, and have you give me all sorts of quotes - homeowners, auto, boat, liability umbrella. Then, after all that work, I'm going to tell you that I have no interest in insurance.

You took hours of your time to prepare the quotes and meet with me, and you didn't meet with Bob because you were booked. Bob went with another agent, sorry.
There's a reason insurance agents and other legitimate businesspeople don't offer freebies to get someone to listen to their sales pitch.

Timeshare companies have made the conscious choice to give away things of value in exchange for letting their hard-sale tactics sucker a small percentage of people for big bucks. I can make the conscious choice to take their value and not be a sucker. This is raw unbridled capitalism at its finest, baby. Caveat Venditor.

I've only sat through one time share pitch, but it didn't seem that hard to just say no. I simply agreed that it sounded like a great opportunity, so if he could just print out the contract, I'd look it over and if it still looked good, I'd call him up and we could sign it. Obviously I'm not going to sign a contract for $x0,000 without reading it. The salesman said that they don't print out contracts for people to take with them, because no one ever calls back.

My fake look of surprise wasn't very convincing, but what are you going to do.