Surge Protection for Coax Cable?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mbres60

Surge Protection for Coax Cable?

Post by mbres60 »

Do I need a surge protector for my coax cable? We recently bought a new tv where we did not have one before. It has a dvr box. I started looking at surge protectors and some come with a hookup for coaxial cable. Not sure if I need one or not. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
livesoft

Re: Surge Protection for Coax Cable?

Post by livesoft »

I don't think surge protectors with that feature cost extra, so we got one when we upgraded to a cable modem. We made our own coax cables to size using a longer cable cut down and adding the proper connectors with a crimper/connector kit for under $20 from amazon.

For us, the main thing to look for in a surge protector was that all the various AC adaptor "bricks" could be arranged to not interfere with one another when plugged in. That is, one plug would not cover the adjacent AC socket of the surge protector.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

mbres60 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:32 pm Do I need a surge protector for my coax cable? We recently bought a new tv where we did not have one before. It has a dvr box. I started looking at surge protectors and some come with a hookup for coaxial cable. Not sure if I need one or not. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Many surge protectors come with an input for minimal coax cable surge protection. There's typically not much added cost. Generally, my advice is that surges can happen on any connected line to your electronic equipment.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

I know it doesn't cost much more to get one with coax. Some surge protectors are rated a little better than others so I need to determine which one to get. There is a TrippLite that is highly rated by Wirecutter but with less joules (has coax) than the APC which is also highly rated. Almost double the amount of joule protection but no coax. There are tradeoffs. We are not tech inclined and want to make sure we are buying what we should be buying.

As an FYI we have a computer hooked up to an old APC surge protector. The light is still lit as if it is still protecting. Everything I read says to replace every few years. I'm assuming this is still working even though it is 9 years old but who knows.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

livesoft wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:40 pm I don't think surge protectors with that feature cost extra, so we got one when we upgraded to a cable modem. We made our own coax cables to size using a longer cable cut down and adding the proper connectors with a crimper/connector kit for under $20 from amazon.

For us, the main thing to look for in a surge protector was that all the various AC adaptor "bricks" could be arranged to not interfere with one another when plugged in. That is, one plug would not cover the adjacent AC socket of the surge protector.
Amazon sells 12" extension cords for that (with a small plug that will fit the plugs on a surge protector or a UPS.) Of course then you have an abundance of little 12" cords everywhere instead.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

If this is for Cable TV coax, I wouldn't bother. The inner conductor is protected by the outer shield. The outer shield is grounded at the house entrance. Additionally, their cable on the outside poles is generally protected by the much higher up power wires.

If this is for an outside antenna, TV, Ham radio, CB, etc, power surge protector with a coax connector on it is way inadequate for handling a lightning strike (or a near miss) and could spread the damage further inside your house. Protecting an antenna from lightning requires some damn good grounding (not power cord/panel grounding) and an antenna rated lightning arrester before the cable enters the house.
Last edited by RetiredAL on Mon May 17, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

RetiredAL wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:56 pm If this is for Cable TV coax, I wouldn't bother. The inner conductor is protected by the outer shield. The outer shield is grounded at the house entrance. Additionally, their cable on the outside poles is generally protected by the much higher up power wires.

If this is for an outside antenna, TV, Ham radio, CB, etc, power surge protector with a coax connector on it is is way inadequate for handling a lightning strike (or a near miss) and could spread the damage further inside your house. Protecting an antenna from lightning requires some damn good grounding (not power cord/panel grounding) and an antenna rated lightning arrester before the cable enters the house.
Thanks! We do have underground utilities but my guess is that doesn’t matter. We’ll probably go without the coax and get the one with higher rated joules.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

We have a powerstrip that has coax surge protection.

https://www.amazon.com/OviiTech-Protect ... 252&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Echogear-Outlet- ... 342&sr=8-4

Not these exact versions, but the cable comes off the antenna in and then out to the DVR box and TV.

Protection levels is another issue.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Do you live in an area prone to power surges? The thing about surge protectors is... power surges are really uncommon in most developed markets in houses with modern electrical wiring, and protection from lightning is, pardon the term, hit or miss.

Just saying, I wouldn't bother buying a more expensive model just for the coax terminals, and I wouldnt lose sleep about it. I'm an electrical engineer and none of my appliances use actual surge protectors at all, just power strips when needed.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:02 pm Do you live in an area prone to power surges? The thing about surge protectors is... power surges are really uncommon in most developed markets in houses with modern electrical wiring, and protection from lightning is, pardon the term, hit or miss.

Just saying, I wouldn't bother buying a more expensive model just for the coax terminals, and I wouldnt lose sleep about it. I'm an electrical engineer and none of my appliances use actual surge protectors at all, just power strips when needed.
Interesting. I doubt we have had power surges. We have lived in our house since 1984. I don't remember when we got our first surge protector for a computer we bought in 2001. Of the two surge protectors, the lights have never gone out saying that they were no good anymore. My guess is we have not had any big surges.

Thanks for the info!
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

mbres60 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:28 pmI don't remember when we got our first surge protector for a computer we bought in 2001. Of the two surge protectors, the lights have never gone out saying that they were no good anymore. My guess is we have not had any big surges.

Thanks for the info!
Certainly there's no harm in a surge protector, but I look at it as a waste of money to buy a $50+ protector for a TV worth very little (and replaceable for $400-$600) . My computers are only laptops now so the only thing that should get zapped is the charger.

If you have a desktop PC or TV that's worth a couple grand it's a different calculus.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:06 pm
mbres60 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:28 pmI don't remember when we got our first surge protector for a computer we bought in 2001. Of the two surge protectors, the lights have never gone out saying that they were no good anymore. My guess is we have not had any big surges.

Thanks for the info!
Certainly there's no harm in a surge protector, but I look at it as a waste of money to buy a $50+ protector for a TV worth very little (and replaceable for $400-$600) . My computers are only laptops now so the only thing that should get zapped is the charger.

If you have a desktop PC or TV that's worth a couple grand it's a different calculus.
What happens if there is a surge when your laptop is plugged in and charging?
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

mbres60 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:42 pm What happens if there is a surge when your laptop is plugged in and charging?
Nothing, or your charger is toasted, or your laptop is toasted. I know that's not helpful, but it would depend on the magnitude of the event. A lot of power supplies can tolerate 220v transients easily as they are either identical or similar to their foreign counterparts where voltages are higher. That alone will cover most of the little glitchy stuff when your dryer or heater kicks on and voltage sags then rebounds. If your power line down the street is hit by lightning and you get a few hundred volts, it might damage the charger. If your house is hit and 10kv goes straight to your outlet, you might lose the whole thing. Odds of that are low for most homeowners but not all.

Im not telling you surge protectors are worthless, just that they're kind of like buying insurance or extended warranties - are they really necessary and worth the money for the good ones? Not always.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Florida summer lightning strikes can throw surges into wide areas. I've lost expensive gear due to surges over the last 2 decades, even with quality surge protection. My real good stuff is on power conditioning and hard off when not being used. Other stuff is easy to go to hard off if a lightning storm is in the area.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Accidents happen too. We had surge protectors on our laptop and TV, but not on our dishwasher. The dishwasher's electronic control panel was fried when the power company's contractor accidently touched two lines together for a moment when working on a nearby pole. Took six months to resolve our claim for damages.

After recently upgrading our service panel, we have a Siemens whole house surge protector, as well as smaller Tripp Lite ones at outlets for more costly things that have a computer chip or digital display.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I've had serial (think ZeroSurge) on all my computers for years. My Audio/Video equipment is not as critical so I use APC and/or Tripplite.

As for Joules - it does not tell you how well it protects; it will only tell you how much LONGER it will last. Let through voltage tells you how well it protects. I've had surges in NYC (we are 1/2 mile from a powerplant). I've never replaced my Zerosurge; they are virtually going to work for live.

My APC I've replaced every 3-4 years and several were recalled due to fire hazards (though APC never bothered sending a replacement for them). I believe millions were recalled back then.

https://www.today.com/money/recall-mill ... 8C11339817

How much protection you need is decided by the cost and time of replacing. Going down for me would mean too much lost productivity. So, I have a zero surge protector (9 lbs) in front of a battery backup (APC). In addition, I have a backup system that can go within an hour.