2018 Toyota RAV4 low mileage coolant leak

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KYBLUE113

2018 Toyota RAV4 low mileage coolant leak

Post by KYBLUE113 »

Hi,
I purchased a 2018 RAV4 XLE in November of 2019. It was a rental vehicle and manufactured in Canada. Just recently I noticed the smell of coolant in the interior. It has 49,000 miles It has a slow and a leak cannot be detected on the ground or engine although it is losing a small amount from the reservoir's engine does have some markings which have the same visibility of an electrolysis event, meaning spotted and green. This leak is small and slow. I looked for causes and see that some in Canada have cracked blocks due to casting issues. Oddly, the valve cover has sealant in one area which has dripped from the cover during some original or after manufacturing process or work. It may be slow to diagnose the cause. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will take it to a dealer next week. I purchased this from a Toyota dealer out of state and I cannot justify taking it to that dealer.

Thanks for any suggestions as to have a good outcome.
bob60014

Re: 2018 Toyota RAV4 low mileage coolant leak

Post by bob60014 »

For giggles, though its a 2018 run the VIN through Toyota and check for a recall.

https://www.toyota.com/recall
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

You should have it looked at by a good independent Toyota mechanic. As with buying any Toyota, confirm the coolant is the correct type and pink in color.

If you're DIY, to diagnose, start with an overnight pressure test. Interior coolant smell would indicate a leak in the heater core, I would inspect that next, pressure test that by itself.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

Get a crazy high trade in price from Carvana, and start over with a new car, would be my suggestion.
mrpotatoheadsays

Post by mrpotatoheadsays »

Do not take it to a Toyota dealer. They will just find $2000+ worth of problems and likely won't fix your problem.

Take it to an independent, honest mechanic and ask for a pressure test. This will likely find the leak. Finding an honest mechanic is difficult; word of mouth is the best source.

A DIY approach is to put UV dye into the radiator. You can buy a kit with the glasses fairly cheap. This should pinpoint the source. A head gasket leak will doom the car; its not worth it to fix it since the repair is costly and may create the same or similar problems down the road.

Don''t ever buy a rental car again. Everyone beats on them and they are not properly cared for. Even a Toyota can be killed by an idiot.
Kris3

Post by Kris3 »

Kagord wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:11 am You should have it looked at by a good independent Toyota mechanic. As with buying any Toyota, confirm the coolant is the correct type and pink in color.

If you're DIY, to diagnose, start with an overnight pressure test. Interior coolant smell would indicate a leak in the heater core, I would inspect that next, pressure test that by itself.
Correct. Interior smell of coolant would usually indicate heater core. Uncommon for a vehicle of that age. Even if paying a mechanic, a pressure test and identification of the leak point shouldn’t be too much.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

If it’s a heater core good luck. It’s a big job ripping off most of the dash.

Probably a $700-1000 job that’s 90% labor.
gac1979

Post by gac1979 »

Why wouldn’t this be a warranty item? Powertrain warranty is 5 years, correct?
alexander29

Post by alexander29 »

Could it be rodent damage? Small hole chewed in the coolant line? I had that with two vehicles this winter.
Topic Author
KYBLUE113

Post by KYBLUE113 »

alexander29,
Yes, sir I did not think about rodent damage. We have many squirrels here as we live in a very rural farm area. That is a possibility!

gac1979
Yes, I would hope it is a powertrain warranty item and if it is something such as a block or head surely it will be. The vehicle does have a 5-year power train warranty as well as being a certified product for what that is worth. Just getting to the actual diagnosis of an elusive problem may be the hardest obstacle to overcome.

adestefan
I have changed just a few heater cores and I agree it is very difficult and do not wish to ever do that again. If you are successful your back and mind are in pain. But maybe that is just me.

thanks everyone
fleetwdl

Post by fleetwdl »

Take a hard look at the water pump. Could be weeping and evaporating without dripping. I've replaced a couple of these early on RAV4's. The odor can leak into the interior when this is going on.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

49,000 miles, still covered under powertrain warranty. Take it to the dealer they will figure out the source of the leak.

I do not avoid the dealer for warranty work, and simply decline extras if they service my vehicle outside of warranty work.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:37 am 49,000 miles, still covered under powertrain warranty. Take it to the dealer they will figure out the source of the leak.

I do not avoid the dealer for warranty work, and simply decline extras if they service my vehicle outside of warranty work.
Powertrain = Engine, Transmission, and Drivetrain. I doubt an AC issue would be included in this, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, sometimes you get lucky with TSBs and a service manager in a good mood.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Kagord wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:13 am
StevieG72 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:37 am 49,000 miles, still covered under powertrain warranty. Take it to the dealer they will figure out the source of the leak.

Powertrain = Engine, Transmission, and Drivetrain. I doubt an AC issue would be included in this, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, sometimes you get lucky with TSBs and a service manager in a good mood.
Good point, I stand corrected. There are lots of things that are not covered on bumper-to-bumper warranty as well as the powertrain warranty. I have been surprised more than once by what is not covered.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.