Blood Pressure Monitor?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
waltman300

Blood Pressure Monitor?

Post by waltman300 »

Hi. Looking to get one of these for someone. The one they have started to not read correctly. I believe they used it for two years or so and the readings are no longer accurate. They told me they want one for the upper arm. I googled and saw there were some that were for upper arm and some for wrist. I don't have a clue about these things.

I checked amazon and as you know, tons of options. Seems like there are quite a good amount of them in the 30 dollar+ range. I even saw some that cost 100 dollars etc. Anyone here can recommend a decent blood pressure monitor? Preferably on amazon so i would buy it off there.

Thanks.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Blood Pressure Monitor?

Post by nisiprius »

I use an Omron BP-785, upper arm cuff. Cost about $100.

They don't last forever.

I started with a wrist unit, forget the brand, it didn't give accurate measurements for me. I switched to a BP-780 that did, when it died I cheaped out on a $70 CVS-branded unit which wasn't accurate, returned it almost immediately and swapped it for the Omron.

Why do I say the Omron BP-785 is accurate? I've cross-checked it a couple of times in a doctor's office, and I've cross-checked it from time to time with the free do-it-yourself kiosk meter at CVS. (That was pre-pandemic, I don't know if it's still there.) My wife uses a wrist unit and it's accurate... for her.

The weak link is often the cuff. If you look at the cuff in the doctor's office it's a heck of a lot wider and bigger than in the home units.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We've used Omron BP monitors as well.
We now have the type that records and saves the readings and the dates, and it can record for two different users. That last part may not be relevant for the person you have in mind.

It's upper arm, too.

We calibrate the monitors by taking it with us to the physician's office (any professional reading would probably work) to see how they match up for any new monitor, and then again a couple of years later if it still seems to be working well.

Make sure they understand *how* to take it... not just how to use the monitor and cuff, but also to sit still for a few minutes after putting the cuff on, quietly, before taking a reading.
(Many professionals do not do it 'right', but have you sit down and take the reading immedidately after bringing you to the exam room, etc. Same thing can be a problem when taking one's own pressure.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer »

I have used Omron wrist models for fifteen years. The first one lasted fourteen years, until April 2020. I then purchased the new version that is much quieter and more compact than the older one. I like it a lot if one can say such a thing about a blood pressure monitor. The original and the new one were/are very accurate, having been checked against the monitors in two different physicians'(different specialities) offices.

Karl V
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

waltman300 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:02 pm Hi. Looking to get one of these for someone. The one they have started to not read correctly. I believe they used it for two years or so and the readings are no longer accurate. They told me they want one for the upper arm. I googled and saw there were some that were for upper arm and some for wrist. I don't have a clue about these things.

I checked amazon and as you know, tons of options. Seems like there are quite a good amount of them in the 30 dollar+ range. I even saw some that cost 100 dollars etc. Anyone here can recommend a decent blood pressure monitor? Preferably on amazon so i would buy it off there.

Thanks.
This is basically what the VA shipped to me:

https://www.amazon.com/Medical-UA651-Di ... B00IWRRS6C
Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®) -- However I am not your advisor.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Walmart sells Omron BP monitors. I have one still working perfectly bought for my son's science fair project 12 years ago. A similar one is under $35 at walmart.com. My spouse was upset that it read her BP "too high", so she bought a different one, but that one also read her BP "too high." So she had her physician recommend one and she bought it And that one read her BP "too high." All 3 of them read my BP exactly the same.

My spouse now takes high blood pressure medicine. I do not.

THERE ARE QUITE A NUMBER OF "blood pressure monitor" threads on bogleheads.org and they are all pretty much the same: Omron is more than good enough. Proper use is important. Some nurses and physicians often are more interested in getting measurements quickly. Even the best of these monitors are not as accurate nor as precise as you might expect them to be, but they are more than accurate and precise enough.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Thanks for responses. But is there a big difference between the 30 dollar+ range vs the $100 ones?

When i check amazon, seem like almost every one of these have very good overall reviews if you count the stars... but obviously when you go through a ton of these reviews, you have to have people who give it one star etc.

So would you say its fine going for something in the lower price range for this? Or shell out $100 for a very good one etc? Yea they mentioned wrist unit is not what you want, upper arm is what you want.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I think the parts inside the Omron ones are all the same. I think the difference between the $35 one and that $100 one could be bells and whistles such as WiFi or Bluetooth to a cell phone and an app. Some have AC adapters. My inexpensive one stores about 20 past measurements for each of person A and person B with the date/time taken.

I would not even be surprised if the Omron and all the others use the same internal parts or electronics to measure the pressure and heart rate.
jackbeagle

Post by jackbeagle »

Konquest KB-2910W

Bought from Amazon, wrist cuff. Love this style because many (too many) upper arm cuffs have a max suggested arm circumference of 13 inches. Put it on with the screen side on the inside of your wrist, and press one button. Has a memory/recall and works simply and reliably. $16.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Unless it's visibly worn, try putting in new batteries and seeing if that fixes the issue.

At the time I bought it, my Omron wrist unit was reviewed as the best of the wrist units. As my upper arm cuff unit was wearing out (visibly the cuff was coming unstitched), I overlapped measurements from each for a couple of weeks. There was no discernible difference. So at that point the wrist unit took over.

But sometimes I notice that it is taking a long time to puff up the wrist cuff, and it reads higher than usual. I put in new batteries and the measurements are lower for quite some time again. There's definitely something going on there with the battery state.
ram

Post by ram »

A few years ago I had purchased an Omron for about $100 for one of my relatives. I know these are not as good as the old fashioned manual ones in a doctor's office.
Ram MD
Ram
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

I started with an Omron 760. Then I also bought a Beurer BM55 a year ago for comparison purposes. Both give equivalent readings and are considered by experts to be top-of-the-line home BP units. Price range at WalMart was $65-75. I only buy arm cuff models, don't trust wrist cuff units. ResearchMed is right on, most doctors and nurses do not take blood pressures properly. You need at least 5 minutes relaxation time and your test arm needs to be elevated to the level of your heart with upright, relaxed, supported posture. For a good reference, use Google to download "Cardiol. Clin. 2010 November 28(4) 571-586, Principles and Techniques of Blood Pressure Measurement". This paper is available under NIH Public Access and it is an eye opener. Oh yea, make sure you change the batteries once a year - or maybe less if you take multiple measurements per day.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
bumbojumbo

Post by bumbojumbo »

Last edited by bumbojumbo on Sat May 15, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

Omrons are good. I have one for the wrist (the $30 kind, no bells and whistles) which has been working for years without problems.
markjk

Post by markjk »

Another vote for Omron. Also, another vote to stay away from the wrist measurements. They just aren't accurate consistently.

This is the model I currently have and am very happy with it. It works quickly and measurements seem accurate. It also has a nice history function.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

waltman300 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:02 pm Hi. Looking to get one of these for someone. The one they have started to not read correctly. I believe they used it for two years or so and the readings are no longer accurate. They told me they want one for the upper arm. I googled and saw there were some that were for upper arm and some for wrist. I don't have a clue about these things.

Thanks.
What I would do is buy the one that is easiest to use for you. Then call your primary care office and see if you can schedule a nurse visit for blood pressure check. Make sure to request manual blood pressure check by your nurse as these are always accurate. Bring your device and measure your blood pressure with you own device right after the nurse measures herself. This will verify that your blood pressure device is working correctly.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

nisiprius wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 pm I use an Omron BP-785, upper arm cuff. Cost about $100.

They don't last forever.

I started with a wrist unit, forget the brand, it didn't give accurate measurements for me. I switched to a BP-780 that did, when it died I cheaped out on a $70 CVS-branded unit which wasn't accurate, returned it almost immediately and swapped it for the Omron.

Why do I say the Omron BP-785 is accurate? I've cross-checked it a couple of times in a doctor's office, and I've cross-checked it from time to time with the free do-it-yourself kiosk meter at CVS. (That was pre-pandemic, I don't know if it's still there.) My wife uses a wrist unit and it's accurate... for her.

The weak link is often the cuff. If you look at the cuff in the doctor's office it's a heck of a lot wider and bigger than in the home units.
I use Omron model BP7250 (upper arm cuff, battery operated only) that is recommended and paid for by my health insurance. It takes good and reproducible readings. The readings compare within small deviations from those read at doctor’s office.

Due to natural fluctuations within a 24-hour cycle, the BP user guide recommends that you take the BP at about the same time every day. In addition, you should sit down in certain way for at least 15 minutes without distractions before taking the BP.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

We use Omron 760 for arm. Works very well. I have not calibrated with doctor's office but readings are usually similar.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Blue456 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:41 am...
Make sure to request manual blood pressure check by your nurse as these are always accurate.
They are only as accurate as the person manually doing the pressure check. I would trust a robot to do this measurement more than I would trust a human.

As I have noted before, earlier in my life one of my jobs was taking morning BP measurements for all the overnight patients in the hospital that I worked in.

The highs-in-bp-erg uncertainty principle will always be an issue.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Another vote for Omron. I have a BP5450 that stores the results online so I have a good history for the doctor.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

livesoft wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:52 pm Walmart sells Omron BP monitors. I have one still working perfectly bought for my son's science fair project 12 years ago. A similar one is under $35 at walmart.com. My spouse was upset that it read her BP "too high", so she bought a different one, but that one also read her BP "too high." So she had her physician recommend one and she bought it And that one read her BP "too high." All 3 of them read my BP exactly the same.

My spouse now takes high blood pressure medicine. I do not.

THERE ARE QUITE A NUMBER OF "blood pressure monitor" threads on bogleheads.org and they are all pretty much the same: Omron is more than good enough. Proper use is important. Some nurses and physicians often are more interested in getting measurements quickly. Even the best of these monitors are not as accurate nor as precise as you might expect them to be, but they are more than accurate and precise enough.
+1
We've tried several BP cuffs and Omron is the best. If you check Walmart.com, often they have different suppliers for the same item with different prices. So poke around and you can often save 20 or 30 bucks on a purchase - in other words, if a web search shows a walmart.com offering, keep checking the results list for more walmart.com search results.

If you want/need a wrist BP monitor, our experience with Paramed is good - results seem close to the Omron and the Omron calibrates well with doctor's office equipment. In all cases, read and follow equipment instructions carefully to optimize accuracy.

Best wishes.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

My wife has used a Panasonic daily since 2018 and is happy with it. The cardiologist recommended a particular Omron model but I knew we needed to check the cuff size. The nurses at the doctors' offices often have to run to another room and get a pediatric cuff to achieve a reading. The specs for the Omron's cuff was too large for her upper arm. Some models worked with additional smaller and larger cuffs, but not this particular model. The Panasonic specs listed the cuff size and it was small enough so we ordered that instead.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I suspect the issue with "wrist" versus "upper arm" is individual. Very likely wrist monitors are accurate on most people, but upper arm monitors are accurate on a higher percentage of people. That would explain a blanket general recommendation for upper arm monitors.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

livesoft wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:17 am
Blue456 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:41 am...
Make sure to request manual blood pressure check by your nurse as these are always accurate.
They are only as accurate as the person manually doing the pressure check. I would trust a robot to do this measurement more than I would trust a human.

As I have noted before, earlier in my life one of my jobs was taking morning BP measurements for all the overnight patients in the hospital that I worked in.

The highs-in-bp-erg uncertainty principle will always be an issue.
Absolutely not. Manual BP is always accurate unless the blood pressure calf is broken. You can actually hear with your ears the pulse and at which pressure it goes on and off. That is also why you use stethoscope. Now while the measurement itself is 100% accurate the blood pressure itself may not reflect the true blood pressure for that person. There are multiple reasons for that and I don’t think LadyGeek would be okay with me explaining about when and how to take blood pressure throughout the day as this would be borderline medical advice. FYI, this is a common problem in hospital wards with a lot of unnecessary phone calls from nurses.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Is there a [good] home-use BP monitor that will take, say, 3 readings in relatively quick succession and calculate an average?
Is there one that will send those measures (preferably including the 3 individual measurements in addition to the average) to a computer (via Bluetooth or ?) but not automatically send it to a physician's office?

We've been happy with the Omron devices we've had over the years.

But now that we are older, we are starting to need to check more carefully, and take at least two readings each time. Then we need to copy the readings from the device memory, enter them into the computer, and eventually send it along to the physician[*], per whatever current specific directions (e.g., frequency, times of day, etc.).

The Omron EVOLV looked interesting, with the measuring being on the cuff, without all the tubes/etc. It seems to be sold out everywhere just now. Is that a supply/demand issue, or is it temporarily not available for some manufacturing/etc., reason?

[*] Yes, not the most onerous chore in the history of the planets... :wink:

Thanks.

RM
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

FreeAtLast wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:40 pm I started with an Omron 760. Then I also bought a Beurer BM55 a year ago for comparison purposes. Both give equivalent readings and are considered by experts to be top-of-the-line home BP units. Price range at WalMart was $65-75. I only buy arm cuff models, don't trust wrist cuff units. ResearchMed is right on, most doctors and nurses do not take blood pressures properly. You need at least 5 minutes relaxation time and your test arm needs to be elevated to the level of your heart with upright, relaxed, supported posture. For a good reference, use Google to download "Cardiol. Clin. 2010 November 28(4) 571-586, Principles and Techniques of Blood Pressure Measurement". This paper is available under NIH Public Access and it is an eye opener. Oh yea, make sure you change the batteries once a year - or maybe less if you take multiple measurements per day.
There was a study done of how interns (and possibly nurses and physicians?) took blood pressure, but I can't find it now.

There were something like approximate 10 different criteria, such as:
-- sitting upright, quietly;
-- arm in a specific position;
-- resting time after moving around;
-- not talking;

It turned out that almost none of the medical staff who were observed satisfied all criteria.
They escorted a patient in, and immediately put the cuff on and started the measuring.
They had the patient talk about <whatever> while the measurement was ongoing.
[I can just imagine: "So are you still worried that you had a heart attack last week?" or "Have you scheduele that colonscopy yet? You *really* need to get that done soon." Calms the system immediately - NOT!]
Etc.

Can anyone provide a reference to this article/study?
Thanks.

But I've also wondered, what would the measurements be if one *had* just walked a bit, or if one is standing, for routine readings? Would this provide useful/important information?
For specific conditions or symptoms, there may be different types of readings, but what if someone hasn't mentioned or even noticed certain potential specific symptoms, such as getting lightheaded upon first standing?
Time to ask our physician about this. "Inquiring minds want to know", etc. :happy

RM
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Consumer Reports did an evaluation of these, in case you subscribe: https://www.consumerreports.org/product ... 754/view2/

Quick take: The liked several Omron monitors.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Let’s avoid the subject of how to get an accurate blood pressure reading. That falls under medical which is off-topic.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Please stay focused on the original post and do not get into a blood pressure discussion. A couple of posts were deleted.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:26 am Is there a [good] home-use BP monitor that will take, say, 3 readings in relatively quick succession and calculate an average?
My Omron BP785 will do exactly that; they call the feature TruRead.

I don't use it, because when I've just tried taking several readings in quick succession they've always been almost identical.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I’ve used Omron devices for many years and was very happy with them.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?