Best Whitening Toothpaste?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
waltman300

Best Whitening Toothpaste?

Post by waltman300 »

So a while back I bought these off amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Crest-Brilliance ... 235&sr=8-5

It seems to be decent except these tubes are so small that it seems like i could use one a month or its used up in one and a half month.

Anyone have recommendation for good whitening toothpaste?

I see this one for a bit more cheaper and much more reviews but does seem like the first is better for actual whitening?

https://www.amazon.com/Crest-White-Toot ... yonsite-20
Topic Author
waltman300

Re: Best Whitening Toothpaste?

Post by waltman300 »

Anyone have opinion on this? Such as which one you used and it works? Also seems like more people now avoid colgate? I also heard of sensodyne as well.

I assume best to get whitening at dentist, then use one of the whitening toothpaste right?
mancich

Post by mancich »

We use Crest 3D white and are satisfied. There is no comparison to having it professionally done at the dentist, though. Start with the dentist whitening, and then use a good whitening toothpaste and Crest Whitestrips.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I've used Crest 3D White for several years and it works, not right away but keep at it and it will. I previously used Sensodyne with less success. At the time I had sensitive gums so it helped with that but did not do a good job of whitening.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Tom's of Maine antiplaque & whitening.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Desert Essence's Tea Tree Oil Whitening Plus Toothpaste all the way.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Interested. Any more ideas?
“Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy.” — John C. Bogle
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen »

My dentist recommends Opalescence Whitening Ultradent gel which you can buy on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Opalescence-Syri ... 53NY&psc=1

The gel comes in strengths from 10% to 35%. The lower the strength, the longer you need to leave it on:
Opalescence PF 10% gel: wear 8–10 hours per day Opalescence PF 15% gel: wear 4–6 hours per day Opalescence PF 20% gel: wear 2–4 hours per day Opalescence PF 35% gel: wear 30–60 minutes per day

Some people experience sensitivity from higher concentrations, so need to find the one that works for you.

I'd recommend talking to your dentist about having them make the trays and do a first round of whitening with their office, but it you want to try it on your own ...

Amazon sells a generic tray:
https://www.amazon.com/Pureline-Oralcar ... DSGYH7FRJS

Opalescence makes a companion whitening toothpaste which I think works well:
https://www.amazon.com/Opalescence-Whit ... HKS7JX5K9

For maximum results, use the gel for a few days right after you have your teeth cleaned at the dentist office.
The first time, you probably want to use it daily for 5 days or so. For maintenance I find using the gel 3 or 4 times a year for 3 days does the trick.

Good luck!
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I've used various toothpastes through the years, and I'm not sure there is a legitimate study that demonstrates one toothpaste is legitimately "better" than another.

If you want noticeably whiter teeth, I recommend Crest White Strips. I've done it and dentists have reliably told me I have great teeth. Some of it is genetics.

There are a couple different versions, so I don't want to say specifics, but I can't recommend them enough. Take a picture and check it after a month or so. I did try the generic strips once, they sucked and were uncomfortable.

The white strips make a big difference. I wouldn't use them more than for a month or so every year or two. You don't want super bright, white teeth.

And it may sound dumb... but brush your teeth each day, don't let your toothbrush get older than 3-4 months. Floss. If your teeth are crooked, there are cheap alternatives now to full-on braces.

Good luck.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I swish some hydrogen peroxide in my mouth and it seems to brighten them.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Thank you to all who have chimed in.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Colgate Optic White Renewal 3 percent formulation.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

The Crest White Strips have some whitening effectiveness.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
retire2044

Post by retire2044 »

Opalescence Go 15%.

Can buy on Amazon. Will give whitening similar to custom bleach trays you can get at dentist at a much lower price.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Aren't teeth supposed to yellow/darken as you age. If so, why do you want to look so artificial? Vain to me.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

Amazing this thread has been alive for 2 weeks without being shut down for giving medical advice.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

toofache32 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:12 pm Amazing this thread has been alive for 2 weeks without being shut down for giving medical advice.
Since when consumer product recommendation became medical advice?

To me, this recommendation is like how people recommend a computer or a graphics card or android phone.