What "Personal Fitness Products" do you use to help stay active?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Toons

Re: What "Personal Fitness Products" do you use to help stay active?

Post by Toons »

My walking,jogging shoes :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:28 am What:
What best brand/style/type of Personal Fitness Products have you used to help you in daily life or activities?
My Gearbox GX5 pickleball paddle.
What activity?
(IE: walking, running, active lifestyle things, daily movement and activity?)
To play pickleball as often as I can.
Question:
What of the above products, brands, styles, "Products" do you use and they are worth the money spent?
IE: "walking shoes"/insoles, compression wear, massagers, therapy balls and things, Gym Wear, Walking Wear, etc, etc, etc.
I use Orange insoles in my court shoes.
Definitely worth it - completely cured my achilles tendon pain.
Also: Shoes. . .
I use ASICS Men's Gel-Dedicate 6 Tennis Shoes
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Re: Walkers, Runners, Joggers: What best brand/style/type of Leg wraps?, Compression "leggings?", Knee sleeves? Etc?

Post by Sandtrap »

Freefun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 am
runner3081 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:06 am I wear one, on occasion over my calf when it is sore or tightens up. Wear it during the run and after.

It is some random brand on Amazon. Has worked great and still tight after many washed. It is polyester, I believe!?
I wonder if something for my calf would help with soreness from rowing. I’m frequently doing 20k-40k a day and these are the only muscles that get sore.
The calf sleeves from Sigvaris 20-30mm have been working great for me. I've tried at least 10 calf sleeves on Amazon and returned all but that pair. "Sigvaris Sports Compression Calf Sleeves (Performance Sleeves).

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

bumblebh wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:49 pm Shoes: Brooks or Saucony, been loving my Allbirds also.

For longer hikes, must have good insoles such as Power Step Pro or Super feet. Was in Sedona a few years ago and went on 4-5 miles hike the first day and I think a little longer day 2. I woke up the next morning and my feet were so stiff i was hobbling about because I had forgotten my insoles and hiking on rocky uneven terrain. Found shoe store and bought some insoles and I was on a trail in no time without any problems.
Huge thanks.
I gave up finding good insoles.
The Power Step Pro looks like better quality and fit. I'll give them a try.

Which model/style of the "Super Feet" do you use?

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:57 pm
. . . . . I'm a former college athlete who has since completed at a pretty high level in two totally divergent athletic pursuits: powerlifting and triathlons. I also have a PhD in exercise physiology. But, over a quarter century of intense training almost every single day and currently a laundry list of back issues (two compression fractures, 4 bulging discs, bone spurs...) means I have to use many of these gadgets every day (along with regular PT, chiropractic, acupuncture, strain-counterstrain therapy) just to not be in debilitating pain, let alone help me still be physically active (mostly climbing mountains now). The percussion massager was especially game changing for my wife who competes in jiu jitsu.
We have similar paths once again.
I also have a laundry list of chronic issues, each one saying, "yea. . . me too".

An athletic lifestyle and mindset doesn't stop.
Yes: Yes: Whatever modalities work to postpone surgical fixes and wear and tear on our aging self is a good thing for those that need it.

Hopefully, we all can avoid "(insert medical issues, orthopedic issues, surgical fixes, canes, powerchairs, etc)" and age gracefully (and pain free) into our golden years.

bumblebh

Post by bumblebh »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:34 pm
bumblebh wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:49 pm Shoes: Brooks or Saucony, been loving my Allbirds also.

For longer hikes, must have good insoles such as Power Step Pro or Super feet. Was in Sedona a few years ago and went on 4-5 miles hike the first day and I think a little longer day 2. I woke up the next morning and my feet were so stiff i was hobbling about because I had forgotten my insoles and hiking on rocky uneven terrain. Found shoe store and bought some insoles and I was on a trail in no time without any problems.
Huge thanks.

The Superfeet i have used are the green ones. I don't know if they have any other details because its rubbed off, but I still have the originals in a pair of golf shoes and they remain effective.

The Powerstep Pro were given to me when I saw a podiatrist in office quite a few years ago. I bought another set of Powerstep after that were not as good. So I think the "pro" makes a different but they don't seem as easy to find.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Adjustable Dumbbells (PowerBlocks, 5-125# each)

Kettlebells

Sandbags

Olympic Weights

Concept2 Rower

Hiking / Training shoes
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
GregG3

Post by GregG3 »

I use smart Taxc Neo bicycle trainer and a bike for indoor cycling. I use the zwift platform to for group rides and training sessions.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

bumblebh wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:02 am
Sandtrap wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:34 pm

Huge thanks.

The Superfeet i have used are the green ones. I don't know if they have any other details because its rubbed off, but I still have the originals in a pair of golf shoes and they remain effective.

The Powerstep Pro were given to me when I saw a podiatrist in office quite a few years ago. I bought another set of Powerstep after that were not as good. So I think the "pro" makes a different but they don't seem as easy to find.
Huge Thanks!
I've had the same experience but didn't put 2 n 2 together as far as quality and durability.
Custom orthotics from the docs.
Then OTV insoles thru the years and they were not very good as far as support.
The Powerstep Pro is a lot more expensive than the regular Powersteps. I'll try ordering both and compare.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerstep-Protec ... B00DF6XFKS
Also the Superfeet Greens. I notice there's quite a variety of them.

Mahalo
Blues

Post by Blues »

I use Superfeet Green in most of my outdoors/hiking/walking shoes...and Blue in my lifting shoes.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Blues wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:07 am I use Superfeet Green in most of my outdoors/hiking/walking shoes...and Blue in my lifting shoes.
Does this have to do with the fit in the shoe as well?
Such as a "thin" orthotic insole if the shoe is tight fitting
vs a roomier hiking shoe can have a thicker insole?

thanks!!
Blues

Post by Blues »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:25 am
Blues wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:07 am I use Superfeet Green in most of my outdoors/hiking/walking shoes...and Blue in my lifting shoes.

thanks!!
Yes, absolutely. My lifting shoes are a bit lower volume, closer fitting...so the Blue is what I have been using in those kind of training shoes for years.

The green take up more space in shoes, so are better where there is more volume available.

Also, depending on your needs and comfort, the arch of the Green is higher than the Blue, so gives more support against over pronation, but is not necessarily comfortable for all users.

I'm an odd duck in that I have flattish feet and over pronate, but the Green is my first choice if the shoes will accommodate them.

The only two brands of outdoor shoes I can go without them in are various Oboz, and previously, though no longer made, the Ahnu Rigdgecrest.

Feel free to reach out if I can help further. I've been using these insoles for many years.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I have a Sole Eliptical and a Sole Treadmill in my home gym.
The quality is exceptional, they work very smoothly, and the treadmill absorbs impact as well.
:shock: Not sure what to do to get my legs to look as fit as the models in these stock photos :shock:
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Saucony shoes (currently ISO 2) for walking, Thorlo Pads
Google Fit app for tracking and motivation
ankle weights and hand weights for other fitness routines
a tens unit for occasional knee pain
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Blues wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:32 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:25 am

thanks!!
Yes, absolutely. My lifting shoes are a bit lower volume, closer fitting...so the Blue is what I have been using in those kind of training shoes for years.

The green take up more space in shoes, so are better where there is more volume available.

Also, depending on your needs and comfort, the arch of the Green is higher than the Blue, so gives more support against over pronation, but is not necessarily comfortable for all users.

I'm an odd duck in that I have flattish feet and over pronate, but the Green is my first choice if the shoes will accommodate them.

The only two brands of outdoor shoes I can go without them in are various Oboz, and previously, though no longer made, the Ahnu Rigdgecrest.

Feel free to reach out if I can help further. I've been using these insoles for many years.
Background:
Senior, former runner, athletics, here.
(Like "stoptothink". . lot's of health compromises to work with)
Feet:
Typical to "Hawaiian locals" that have worn slippers since young, I have flattish feet with "fallen arches" (bulge on the inner side that aches), and my feet are EEEE wide. Also over pronate because of the loss of arch support.
Insoles:
If the arch support of the insert is too high, then it aches, if it's too flat then it aches. . . so?
And, my arches ache all the time anyway.
Activity:
Now, daily walking, most comfortable is compacted flat sand so less impact on my knees, etc. About an hour several times a week. Or playing basketball with my grandkids.

Questions:
1 Do you size your shoes to compensate for the insole that you want and works best for you?
2 Or, do you get the insole to fit the shoe and size that works best for your activity?
3 How long do insoles last as far as losing thier "squishability" (technical term)??
(I know that cheap OTC wallmart. etc, insoles don't seem to last very long at all, nor work very well)
4 I've seen a podiatrist many many decades ago but I think just trying a variety of insoles and finding what works is good for the present. The New Balance shoe company has a foot type (imprint), running style/activity, etc, that did a great job at matching shoe type to the person. Is this similar to the homepage websites charts for the insole companies?
5 Do you pair quality fitting "shoes", "insoles", and "leg compression sleeves", and/or "knee sleeves" for the best comfort, to prevent injury by added support, and for after exercise therapy and recovery?

Super Huge thanks for your knowledge and experience!
Mahalo
**dislaimer: *consumer product info: (seek proper medical professionals for using fitness and therapy products and all that, etc, etc, etc.)
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat May 01, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

DetroitRick wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:46 am Saucony shoes (currently ISO 2) for walking, Thorlo Pads
Google Fit app for tracking and motivation
ankle weights and hand weights for other fitness routines
a tens unit for occasional knee pain
I've tried and docs have prescribed a variety of "tens units" for this and that over a period of 40+ years.
This fairly inexpensive unit has worked very well for me out of trying a bazillion of them.
Easy to use and adjustability was even better than the "standard" tens units.

Good for massage, therapy, post exercise/activity, etc, etc, etc, "(insert medical jargon).

Amazon.com
"Tens Unit" (**** product consumer information)
**** seek proper medical professional for using these things correctly and all that. (dislaimer)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Blues

Post by Blues »

Questions:
1 Do you size your shoes to compensate for the insole that you want and works best for you?
2 Or, do you get the insole to fit the shoe and size that works best for your activity?
3 How long do insoles last as far as losing thier "squishability" (technical term)??
(I know that cheap OTC wallmart. etc, insoles don't seem to last very long at all, nor work very well)
4 I've seen a podiatrist many many decades ago but I think just trying a variety of insoles and finding what works is good for the present. The New Balance shoe company has a foot type (imprint), running style/activity, etc, that did a great job at matching shoe type to the person. Is this similar to the homepage websites charts for the insole companies?
5 Do you pair quality fitting "shoes", "insoles", and "leg compression sleeves", and/or "knee sleeves" for the best comfort, to prevent injury by added support, and for after exercise therapy and recovery?
1. No, I buy my normal size and buy an insole that fits. The Superfeet are trim to fit if they are too large. (I use an "E" size in my size 11's.)
2. Yes, I fit the insert to the shoe, not vice versa.
3. They tend to last me a long time for working out, walking, hiking. I have never used them in running shoes, but I gave up running years ago for a variety of reasons.

4. I haven't used NB shoes in some years, so can't comment on their site guidelines. The Superfeet site gives good general info as a go by, but since I have had success with the Green and Blue, I haven't bothered with the massive number of current offerings.

5. I only use shoes and insoles. No knee braces, ankle supports or other support gear. I do self trigger point therapy and foam rolling when I have a muscle ache or imbalance.

I am 68 and have been training most all of my life with weights and some form of cardio for decades. I have to overcome some imbalances due to mild scoliosis, (didn't know I had it until my law enforcement physicals and some subsequent x-rays years later for a job injury), and morton's foot, which is also fairly common.

I mix up the week between lifting and cardio...as well as outdoor activity, including scything our property.

Good luck, feel free to follow up with any additional questions.

You might want to start with the "Blue" and see if you can use firmer / higher support in an additional or later pair.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I don't have any walking specific recommendations. In cold weather I wear Merrell hiking boots, in warm weather I wear sneakers.
Furthermore, I don't use any electronic monitoring devices and I am not a member of a gym, even though I am thinking of joining one that has a sauna. I live in an apartment where exercise machines are impractical. But I have a lot of small exercise items spread all over the apartment. Some of them gather dust and I have to remind myself to use them. Here is a partial list:
- dumbbells
- flexible bands
- pull-up bar
- yoga mat, yoga blocks
- ankle weights
- foam roller
- acupressure mat (bed of nails)
- fat freezing belt
- vibration platform
- balance ball

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I ride my Trek bike outdoors 3-4 times a week, 20-30 miles a ride year round. Topography is flat, winter temps are mild, summer hot, lots of bike paths, too many tourists. On off days I lift dumbbells, 25 pounds. I’m 78. No health issues that impact exercise.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Sandtrap, not sure if this is helpful or actionable for you, but I'm an avid hiker, 6-8 mi/day out here in CO. I've found over the years, what's on your feet matters also for knees, hips and back. I wear all leather Limmer hiking boots and two pair of socks, a cool max inner pair, and wool outer pairs both calf high. It's like having pillows on my feet and with a perfect fitting boot, keeps my posture just right for those rocky trails out here. I had, actually still have, a nice pair of Gortex boots, but the leather ones are a superior fit and comfort so the Gortex are my backup pair. Just an FYI. I'm mid 60s just transitioning to retirement end of this month.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

I use a power rack, barbell, weights, and pull up bar mostly. For cardio, I play golf, ride my bike or go on walks.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

radiowave wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:19 pm Sandtrap, not sure if this is helpful or actionable for you, but I'm an avid hiker, 6-8 mi/day out here in CO. I've found over the years, what's on your feet matters also for knees, hips and back. I wear all leather Limmer hiking boots and two pair of socks, a cool max inner pair, and wool outer pairs both calf high. It's like having pillows on my feet and with a perfect fitting boot, keeps my posture just right for those rocky trails out here. I had, actually still have, a nice pair of Gortex boots, but the leather ones are a superior fit and comfort so the Gortex are my backup pair. Just an FYI. I'm mid 60s just transitioning to retirement end of this month.
Thanks for the great info!
Yes. 60's plus and former and now grasping athletic. . .

There's a reminder that with the right shoes and orthotics, etc, then the knees are more stable so therefore . . . and then up to the next joint. . .

Sort of like the "foot bone is connected to the knee bone is connected to the hip bone is connected to the gizmo bone. . . .

Gosh. . .6-8 mile hikes every day. . . suspension and bushings must be holding up well for a mid 60's model year. . . :shock: :shock:

Thanks again!
j :D :D
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

VictoriaF wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:00 pm I don't have any walking specific recommendations. In cold weather I wear Merrell hiking boots, in warm weather I wear sneakers.
Furthermore, I don't use any electronic monitoring devices and I am not a member of a gym, even though I am thinking of joining one that has a sauna. I live in an apartment where exercise machines are impractical. But I have a lot of small exercise items spread all over the apartment. Some of them gather dust and I have to remind myself to use them. Here is a partial list:
- dumbbells
- flexible bands
- pull-up bar
- yoga mat, yoga blocks
- ankle weights
- foam roller
- fat freezing belt
- vibration platform
- balance ball

Victoria
Thanks for the great input and sharing.
Have and use similar things. . .
. . . . .
hmmm. . .
. . .
what is a "fat freezing belt"??

what is a vibration platform??

Aloha
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Today I used a rake. 50MPH wind last night did a number on oak trees.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:01 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:00 pm I don't have any walking specific recommendations. In cold weather I wear Merrell hiking boots, in warm weather I wear sneakers.
- dumbbells
- flexible bands
- pull-up bar
- yoga mat, yoga blocks
- ankle weights
- foam roller
- fat freezing belt
- vibration platform
- balance ball

Victoria
Thanks for the great input and sharing.
Have and use similar things. . .
. . . . .
hmmm. . .
. . .
what is a "fat freezing belt"??

what is a vibration platform??

Aloha
Aloha, Sandtrap,

Fat freezing belt is a belt with inserts for cold packs. The packs contain jell that freezes in a freezer. If you insert the frozen jell packs into the belt and wear the belt around your abdomen, the low temperature supposedly destroys fat cells. I purchased Isavera on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Isavera-Fat-Free ... 183&sr=8-5 , in 2019. I used it for a couple months, did not see any visible results and stopped it. It's now in the "dust collecting" category, but I might try to use it again.

Vibration platform is a more legitimate appliance. It is marketed as an exercise replacement but I also saw references to vibration enhancing bone turnover. A doctor on one of podcasts (I forgot which) said that in addition to running several miles a day, she uses a platform for a few minutes. I purchased "NexHT vibration platform" on Amazon a couple years ago. Right now, I don't see it, but an Amazon search on "vibration platforms" brings up many hits ranging in price from under $100 to several hundred dollars. Mine is on the cheapest side.

I forgot to mention that I also have a Balance board, similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/Aduro-Exercise-S ... 186&sr=8-4 . It's cheap at $22. I seldom use it, because I practice yoga poses for balance. But writing about my fitness products encouraged me to give some of them the second look.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

A Poulan brand 18” chainsaw. Not kidding.
BTW, I look like many of the male models in the above advertising. Just kidding.
HVAC
DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 »

I use an old Schwinn Airdyne I buffed up with new grips and a better seat. I also removed the useless console and bolted on a piece of plexiglass where the console used to be and then bolted on to that an iPad stand like you’d use on a truck dashboard. I use the iPad for a heart rate monitor app and music. I use an armband heart monitor linked to the app. Works great.

I also like “wheels” for core work. You can buy them for just a few dollars but I like two very much that cost a bit more.

I like the lifeline power wheel for its core exercises attached to the feet. Link:

https://www.lifelinefitness.com/products/power-wheel

And a guy in Illinois makes a very rugged and versatile ab roller for your upper torso and arms. You can vary the hand position a lot. He sells them on eBay, and it’s a beast. Highly recommended. I use cycling gloves for hand comfort. Link:

https://tinyurl.com/4vee5w7k

I also like doing body weight exercises with bars. A chin bar is great, as well as parallettes like these:

https://www.thebeamstore.com/products/2 ... s=e&_v=1.0