Do you still read the print newspaper?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NW_Nutmegger

Do you still read the print newspaper?

Post by NW_Nutmegger »

If you still read from the print newspaper, please share why you enjoy doing this in 2021.

I’m 45 and I’m torn between the world of growing up with the print newspaper and this current climate of news being available 24/7 on any variety of screens.

Looking forward to reading your reasons.
Doom&Gloom

Re: Do you still read the print newspaper?

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I have not read a print newspaper in years even though I did regularly for most of my life. I do follow the local newspapers online though. My small hometown newspaper's Sunday edition is formatted exactly as the print edition is--kind of nice!

I do not miss the newsprint on my hands. Not at all.
Abe

Post by Abe »

I really miss reading our print newspaper every morning. It was delivered to our house, but no longer. The only way we can get the paper now is thru the internet and read it on an iPad, and the cost was increased. I cancelled our subscription.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Yes. Not subject to the whims of internet not working. I also like flipping through a paper - something a screen can not provide.

Go Mets! (They need all the help they can get :wink: )
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I try, and pay for the subscription because my husband likes it.

But there is really little of interest in it for me.
SoHobo

Post by SoHobo »

Love reading the newspaper and get smudged fingers.

Find it much easier to read an article and not get way-laid by other (interesting) subjects.
To scan the digital version is much easier.

Hate doing the puzzle digitally!
NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy »

NW_Nutmegger wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:36 pm If you still read from the print newspaper, please share why you enjoy doing this in 2021.

I’m 45 and I’m torn between the world of growing up with the print newspaper and this current climate of news being available 24/7 on any variety of screens.

No. I gave up on print 20 years ago. And I don’t miss it.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

We still get a daily newspaper but grumble about it regularly. It's a habit which we will likely continue but can't give a good reason why. Nostalgia I guess.
squirm

Post by squirm »

What's up with all the newspaper questions lately.
Yes I like newsprint, no jumping ads no video ads. No ads that pop up on the screen after you've been reading for two minutes.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Nope, all online.
Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc »

NYC_Guy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:04 pm
NW_Nutmegger wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:36 pm If you still read from the print newspaper, please share why you enjoy doing this in 2021.

No. I gave up on print 20 years ago. And I don’t miss it.
+1
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

What is this “print newspaper” you speak of?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I always hated the oversized pages and the way the print comes off on your hands.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

My local paper weaned me off the print version when they went to 3-days a week + Sundays. They assured us that we could still read the digital version daily. And they kept raising the price. I cancelled the subscription and, when I was home, I would go walk to the near-by convenience store on Sundays to pick up the paper copy. That stopped, gee, a little more than a year ago.

On a side note: If you like to read the print paper but don't like the dirty fingers, you can try "baking" the paper. Heat the oven up (maybe 300 degrees?), then turn the heat off. Put the paper in and let it sit while and bake while you shower. Take it out and let it cool off while you fix breakfast. I did this every Sunday for years until my paper switched to a non-smudge ink.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Yes. I also read printed books from the library.

DMW
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

No. Paper is expensive, especially on Sunday. Digital is cheap. Apps are good.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Nope. My fingers no longer get stained. Last time I read a newspaper, it was so thin it was basically a brochure. Even the Sunday paper was unrecognizable.

I read many, many online news sources. And I read books on my Kindle every day.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Fri May 07, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Yep. I'm 35 and we get the print WaPo. We probably wouldn't get a smaller town paper with little content, but WaPo is pretty deep all seven days.

I like reading the paper at breakfast and it feels more... acceptable... than eating with the family with eyes locked on phones.

Certainly throughout the day I get most of my actual news online. Reading the paper is for longer, in-depth stories that I wouldn't read online, and all the cultural content.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Is newspapers your main focus in joining this forum? Threads on WSJ, Washington Post, New York Times. Either you have a lot of spare time or you're doing market research on Boglehead newspaper habits. :D

Online editions of newspapers are more environmentally friendly, and usually cheaper.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Not unless it's free and I have the time, such as if I am eating breakfast at a hotel. I very much like local papers that actually report local news, even if I don't live there.

At home, I miss always having a pile of cheap paper to wrap things in - seasonal items going into storage, fragile things that are going in a box to be donated or moved. Or to mask off messy jobs like spray painting something, or cleaning oven racks. Wrapping gifts with the comic pages. Starting fires when I had a wood-burning fireplace, or with a charcoal chimney for the grill. Those things and the coupons were the primary utility; the news was just incidental entertainment.

I do not miss having the paper delivery continue while I am on vacation, despite my having suspended delivery.

The more paywalls that go up around online versions, the less I read news sites at all. I don't mind the advertising if I am getting useful content. But I also hate all the pop-ups, and slide-ins, and autoplays, and the significant tilt to misleading headlines. I won't pay for that.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I used to when I went to work and someone left a copy in the break room or when I went to the gym and someone left a copy in the rest area. I'm too cheap to buy my own newspaper and I no longer go to these two places.
TheBezzle

Post by TheBezzle »

Yes, three of them if you count Barron's. The Wall Street Journal (I only read it for the articles, I don't look at the numbers) and my local paper (still seven days a week and does a good job with the local news) are the other two, both still delivered to my doorstep while I sleep. The Barron's is in my mailbox on Saturday, if I'm lucky, Monday or later if I'm not.

As for why, it's a luxury I enjoy and can afford, though barely. I agree with SoHobo and squirm that the paper copy is easier to read without distraction or interruption.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

No. Most print is a death spiral. Content quality and quantity drops. People drop subscriptions. Content quality and quantity drops further. More people drop subscriptions (or die). We do subscribe on the internet to a few (local and national) that are optimized for online content. We don't have a problem with internet outages with our land and wireless providers (seems kinda 1990s but maybe in rural areas that is still an issue)?
Last edited by stan1 on Fri May 07, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Digital only.

I still maintain 2 different digital subscriptions.
duckcalldan

Post by duckcalldan »

I get a discounted Sunday-only paper subscription with free digital access. The Washington Post when we lived in Virginia; the Seattle Times now. Nice to sit down on the weekend and do the crossword and read book reviews and opinion pieces. No more expensive than a digital-only subscription. And I support the NY Times and Wash Post with digital subscriptions.
Oleanmike

Post by Oleanmike »

I am a rather conservative guy and could not stand the editorial stances in our local newspaper (mega large city), so I cancelled my subscription. But, my delivery guy keeps leaving it every day. I called the paper and told them but it has continued to be delivered for the past 2 years. My neighbor grabs it when we're gone because I no longer have access to a "vacation hold" because I'm not a subsriber!

I do like the hard copy so I do read it every day for the sports.
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

I recently moved my WSJ subscription to online only. I miss having a good cup of coffee in the morning and having the printed WJS spread across the breakfast table. I recycled a lot of paper over the years, so I have decided from now I will only be getting the online version.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Once in a while I read the local Sunday newspaper. Browse local newspapers online on other days. Recently, one local paper went to paid only online access. This seems to be the trend. I wonder if enough newspapers start charging for their online edition, will people go back to reading the print edition?

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I get daily delivery of the local newspaper, which includes online access.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

Stopped years ago with the local newspaper as their bias became so apparent with the articles and stories they wrote. We had one of their editors come to one of our management staff meetings tell us each story they write has to an an urgency to it. They didn’t seem to care about facts so we cancelled our subscription.
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

I do not. But when I did, and DW complained about newsprint getting on stuff, I switched the subscription to my Kindle and found that to be a perfect compromise between print and digital. I'm talking about the basic Kindle, not the glorified tablet. The stories were light on graphics and images and it was a very linear, focused way to read the paper. I also liked that I could finish each article on the "front page" without having to turn to various sections.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Daily print editions of NYT and WSJ and our local paper delivered in morning, read the WSJ and NYT cover to cover except opinion and editorial pages (just the facts please) while drinking morning cups of coffee. Local paper only to see obits and if anyone I know has been indicted. I do get digital of Washington Post but not as enjoyable to read online. I also buy and read print books every week. Good luck.
mhc

Post by mhc »

The only thing I miss about the print edition is not having the paper to stuff in the bottom of my charcoal chimney starter.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Gort

Post by Gort »

No, online subscription to the local paper only. Costs about $120/year which is much cheaper than the printed edition. It has the same layout as the print edition which is nice. I read it for the local current events and local college sports which I like - there's not much else of interest in it for me besides that.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Not any more, and I miss it. But we can only get a printed copy a couple of days a week, and only one of the two local newspapers. So I read them online now. I pay for one and the other is still available for free.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Yes, I do, or did until recently.

The local paper for years had the same price whether I did online only, or delivery + online.

I have noticed I focus better and read a greater proportion of the articles in print than onscreen, so that made it a great value.

Plus I have a woodstove and newspaper is a great firestarter!

There's now a meaningful difference in price, and life is extremely busy, so I'm not keeping up with the news as much. If life slows down, I might go back to having the printed paper delivered.
Bogle7

Yes, we do

Post by Bogle7 »

Yes.
The Wall Street Journal 6 mornings a week
The Sunday New York Times.
These cost us $1100 per year. We have the money.

I visit 50+ websites a day so I get plenty of news online.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
leeks

Post by leeks »

No. But I intend that when my kids are old enough to handle the content of the news, we will get a Sunday paper subscription so they can have the paper newspaper experience.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Yes, my Dh and I both enjoy reading the newspaper. Although we now subscribe to a Seattle daily because our local daily is so far behind in the news it prints. (very sad about that).
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Oleanmike wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:00 pm I am a rather conservative guy and could not stand the editorial stances in our local newspaper (mega large city), so I cancelled my subscription. But, my delivery guy keeps leaving it every day. I called the paper and told them but it has continued to be delivered for the past 2 years. My neighbor grabs it when we're gone because I no longer have access to a "vacation hold" because I'm not a subsriber!

I do like the hard copy so I do read it every day for the sports.
Not singling you out for any reason other than it's a good segue to my spiel about supporting local news (regardless of online or print):

I also have regular, significant disagreements with the stances of my local paper, and notice some level of bias in the reporting.

Yet they have also broken multiple important local stories that otherwise would have gone unreported.

The one that sticks in my mind was about an 8-figure PUD contract. It was awarded without competitive bidding to a company that turned out to have been founded by a friend of the PUD executive shortly before the contract was issued. When the newspaper was tipped off by PUD employee and reported the details they had been able to find out, the rats fled the ship (unfortunately, without charges filed - I suspect the fact the company had also recently hired some employees of an involved state agency helped). The last I checked, the replacement PUD executive had quietly declined to exercise the full contract value. That saved us something like $10 million, if I remember right.

Aside from a general desire to keep up with local stories too small to ever attract the attention of larger outlets (ranging from detailed crime reporting to interviews with candidates for city offices), the episode with the PUD reminded me local investigative reporting has financial value, and if no one subscribes to the local paper, that resource will be lost.

So I decided funding an editorial board that promotes political positions I disagree with was a lesser concern than risking the loss of local reporting.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I haven't read a print newspaper since 2009.

To put that statement in context, I read a print newspaper every day from the mid-1960s until 2009.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Yes I do. Old habits are hard to break. It just wouldn't seem to be a new day without a newspaper with my morning coffee. In fact I get a local paper 7 days a week, a regional major paper Thursday through Sunday and a weekly small town paper 1 day a week. Every time I see the bill I think I should change but as I said, old habits etc.
Bob
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

stan1 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:53 pm No. Most print is a death spiral. Content quality and quantity drops. People drop subscriptions. Content quality and quantity drops further. More people drop subscriptions (or die). We do subscribe on the internet to a few (local and national) that are optimized for online content. We don't have a problem with internet outages with our land and wireless providers (seems kinda 1990s but maybe in rural areas that is still an issue)?
That is a good point. The one thing print has going for it is no obnoxious ads (remember when pop-up and pop-under ads were as bad as it would get :( )

What you point out is an interesting business case study, where what people are willing to pay for something collapses in a short span. It arguably happened to music, too, where revenues peaked in 1999 (source: https://www.riaa.com/u-s-sales-database/) because iTunes/streaming is cheaper to the extent that the revenue doesn't replace what was lost. I know Warren Buffett has historically been invested in a lot of regional newspapers, but I wonder if he would now classify them as one of the "cigar butt" style businesses he used to specialize in buying back in the 1960s.

Whenever you come across an old (pre-2008) print copy of a newspaper it's always interesting remembering how much thicker and physically larger the paper was and the quality of the articles especially for small-town papers. Now, small-town papers seem to have the quality of a high school or college student paper. The classifieds section of a print newspaper now is particularly desperate and pathetic looking.

I have also read that another big contributing factor is that as department stores, grocery stores, and other large newspaper advertisers merged, went bankrupt/out of business, or just cut back drastically on print advertising over the past 20 years, that has also cut majorly into newspaper revenue.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

We had a paper subscription to the Economist. The only reason for the physical magazine was because my wife read it in the bathroom. Otherwise, there is a screen in front of you at any time in the day, eliminating any practical reason for paper.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

I stopped reading newspapers in 1998.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Have been online-only for news since the late 90s, except for The Economist, which I received in paper form until about ten years ago. Unfortunately, the latter's website underwent a terrible re-design a few years ago, so I canceled the online version as well. As I head into retirement, I'm planning to get rid of all subscriptions to daily papers (WSJ, NYT, WaPo) and maybe re-subscribe to The Economist. The rationale being that I don't want to invest enough time in reading news to justify daily subscriptions, but I don't want to be completely out of touch either. If I do re-subscribe to The Economist, it'll probably be to the paper version, because the website is still terrible.
tre3sori

Post by tre3sori »

No. Only digital newspapers.
I can't imagine not to be able to change the font size or copy and paste unknown terms to look them up.
(Well, I was younger when reading print newspapers. So no need to change font size.)
And I don't have the specialized muscles to hold up the newspaper any more.
The information provided is intended to be entertaining. It is not to be construed as professional advice. Use it at your own risk.
celia

Post by celia »

Our local freebie (donations accepted) is the best in telling what is happening in local government and local events. I like the print version because I often cut out some articles to retrieve or share at a later time. (There are certain topics I like to follow.) The online versions often disappear online after a few years.

I also like the puzzles that you can do with pen or pencil right in front of you with a cup of coffee/tea.

And the paper often comes in handy for certain types of clean-ups or for under paint cans when we paint the walls or as insulation when you are taking a hot or cold dish to someone's house. We don't have a birdcage, but it would be useful for that, too.

And it gives spending money to local kids who deliver it each week.

We also used to subscribe to a local paper that was bought out by a nationwide newspaper chain and the news was no longer local. All the letters to the editor were written by people in other cities, except one letter from a local each week. I remember when my dad was a prolific letter writer and was published several times a year. One time I wrote in to comment on his letter and mine was published too! He was known for writing so often that the newspaper invited him to a yearly dinner, which also celebrated columnists, photographers, and editors who were being given awards.
Last edited by celia on Fri May 07, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

Digital newspapers only now.

I subscribe to the Minneapolis StarTribune, the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Los Angeles Times, along with a few news websites. Altogether, in the past year, it's cost about $925. That's well within my budget.

I like not having to worry about an article I'd like to read being behind a paywall. But, more than that, I like supporting a free and independent press. I think that's vital for a democracy.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
interwebopinion

Post by interwebopinion »

Yes ,only the Sunday NYT. And that's mainly because of the puzzles. I've become addicted to the 7x7 KenKen, especially during quarantine.