I'm having analysis paralysis on a new car. I am looking for common reliable cars, but each one has potential issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kittens

I'm having analysis paralysis on a new car. I am looking for common reliable cars, but each one has potential issues

Post by Kittens »

for example this is what I have found so far

2021 Toyota Camry - this generation has had a huge recall on 8 speed transmissions due to jerkiness and delays
2021 Mazda 6 - Direct injection so prone to carbon build up, and cylinder deactivation. I can step up to the turbo version to avoid the cylinder deactivation and it's quick but it comes with these huge 19 inch wheels that I am worrying about breaking on rough roads
2021 Hyundai Sonata - Direct injection, and also I've heard older versions of this engine were horrible (not sure if fixed now)

does anyone have any recommendations for me to look into? I want to keep this as long as possible.

am I overblowing this and should just pick a car? I know I would have a warranty but am having a lot of anxiety over this because it seems I can't find any car that does not have lots of potential issues.
59Gibson

Re: I'm having analysis paralysis on a new car. I am looking for common reliable cars, but each one has potential issues

Post by 59Gibson »

Considering they're brand new, I do not think you can go wrong with any of those models you've chosen.
crystalbank

Re: I'm having analysis paralysis on a new car. I am looking for common reliable cars, but each one has potential issues

Post by crystalbank »

Mazda's SkyActiv engines are very good at avoiding carbon build up, even if they're direct injected. I wouldn't really worry about it.

Frankly, I'd pick either Camry/Mazda6 and not worry much.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Probably overblown. CR has the Camry as the top rated sedan, with 5/5 predicted reliability.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I would get the Kia over Hyundai Sonata based on looks alone. Anyway, what car do you drive currently and did it explode? Any of those cars should be fine for 10y or more.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Probably most people find stop/start and cylinder deactivation annoying, especially if there's no way to disable those features, at least not without having to remember to every time you start the car. I used to say that eventually we'll all get used to them but with electric vehicles coming, maybe we won't have a chance to.

Direct injection seems to be more of a problem in some designs, and with some usage patterns, than others. I don't know how to predict whether/when a particular design will prove problematic.

You might be able to solve the 19-inch wheel problem fairly economically. I do understand that some of these huge wheels just don't make sense for everyday driving - it's like driving with rubber bands wrapped around your wheels.

With Hyundai I wish someone would explain their aversion to hydraulic valve lifters. It just seems odd. But yes that design can result in a huge bill fairly early on in the vehicle's life.
Jayhawker

Post by Jayhawker »

I don't have any advice specific to those cars but for reliability in general I recommend Consumer Reports (sometimes accessible for free through local libraries) and http://www.dashboard-light.com. Dashboard Light does a good job of showing very long-term reliability I think. To generate reliability scores they use when the vehicles are traded in (later in life indicates better quality since people often trade in cars when they start to get unreliable) and the percent of traded-in cars that exhibit powertrain defects.
Topic Author
Kittens

Post by Kittens »

hi_there wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:43 pm I would get the Kia over Hyundai Sonata based on looks alone. Anyway, what car do you drive currently and did it explode? Any of those cars should be fine for 10y or more.
I haven't had a car for 11 months due to working from home before that I had leased an Alfa Romeo (got a really good deal) didn't have any issues but was only two years.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Honda Accord. Preferably the Sport model.
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Youre not going to find the perfect car. Each has merits/demerits. After months of going through what you are now, I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe, something that was not even on my radar. Bought 3 weeks ago and just return from a 7 day 3000 mile vacation. Very happy with it.

I found much of the 'Car Reports Websites' are bought and paid for by the various manufactures. These entities do oppositional research & report without context.
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

Kittens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 pm am I overblowing this and should just pick a car?
Yes
Kittens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 pm I can't find any car that does not have lots of potential issues.
Correct. Stop trying.
sport

Post by sport »

Buy a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry, whichever you like better.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

sport wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:10 pm Buy a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry, whichever you like better.
You're not basing that opinion on the pre-CVT generations?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

"I've heard" is the same as "irrelevant". If you're "hearing" this on forums, it's largely useless information. Almost all people join forums related to purchases to complain. How many posts say "this ___ is so wonderful, I just had to get on here and tell all of you"?

Use Consumer Reports and other sources that compile DATA and see what they say. Consumer Reports is available at many public libraries, often accessible online in your home via the library membership.

If you're one of the people that worries all the time, consider a warranty extension, only from the manufacturer, and if possible buy from an online dealer that prices these lower. Ford for example has a handful of dealers that sell warranty extensions for 1/2 or less than other dealers. I would never buy an extended warranty (house always wins), but then again I don't constantly worry.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Subaru STi. No direct injection. No cylinder deactivation. No CVT transmission. More fun than the beige Camry you've been looking at.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Kittens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 pm for example this is what I have found so far

2021 Toyota Camry - this generation has had a huge recall on 8 speed transmissions due to jerkiness and delays
2021 Mazda 6 - Direct injection so prone to carbon build up, and cylinder deactivation. I can step up to the turbo version to avoid the cylinder deactivation and it's quick but it comes with these huge 19 inch wheels that I am worrying about breaking on rough roads
2021 Hyundai Sonata - Direct injection, and also I've heard older versions of this engine were horrible (not sure if fixed now)

does anyone have any recommendations for me to look into? I want to keep this as long as possible.

am I overblowing this and should just pick a car? I know I would have a warranty but am having a lot of anxiety over this because it seems I can't find any car that does not have lots of potential issues.
Yeah let’s stop worrying and buy the car you want (given that you can afford it).
sport

Post by sport »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:29 pm
sport wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:10 pm Buy a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry, whichever you like better.
I believe the Camry does not have a CVT. I don't know about the Accord.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:26 pm Subaru STi. No direct injection. No cylinder deactivation. No CVT transmission. More fun than the beige Camry you've been looking at.
With a recall just announced of 900,000 cars, Subaru should be closely re-examined, no?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
aluminum

Post by aluminum »

sport wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:59 pm I don't know about the Accord.
2.0T has a 10 speed auto. 1.5T has CVT.
ShaftoesSpreadsheet

Post by ShaftoesSpreadsheet »

Check out the Subaru Legacy - that thing will be glued to the road with the symmetrical AWD. Personally I find good traction to be a must have safety feature. Boxer engines are pretty neat too. I've found Subaru a slight step below Toyota in reliability and maintenance cost but didn't feel it until the 80k miles mark. Our local service department has been excellent in taking care of our Outback when it was under warranty.

Owned a 98 Camry for many years. Its transmission was buttery smooth. FWD is a totally different driving feel vs AWD and I don't see myself going back.
ShaftoesSpreadsheet

Post by ShaftoesSpreadsheet »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:04 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:26 pm Subaru STi. No direct injection. No cylinder deactivation. No CVT transmission. More fun than the beige Camry you've been looking at.
With a recall just announced of 900,000 cars, Subaru should be closely re-examined, no?
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/suba ... k-impreza/

Looks like the recall is for 2018-2019 Crosstrek, 2017-2019 Impreza, and 2019 Foresters.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

ShaftoesSpreadsheet wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:11 pm

Looks like the recall is for 2018-2019 Crosstrek, 2017-2019 Impreza, and 2019 Foresters.
Point was, company has a recall for near 1 million vehicles, largely for an engine problem. That exceeds one year of sales in the US by Subaru.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Kittens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 pm am I overblowing this and should just pick a car?
Yes.
I know I would have a warranty but am having a lot of anxiety over this because it seems I can't find any car that does not have lots of potential issues.
Everything has potential issues.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

I would not consider a Subaru because of both recent and historic quality issues. I just don't trust them.
Honda, Toyota, Mazda all good choices...
https://repairpal.com/reliability/midsize-car
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

When in doubt, always choose Toyota.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Pick the Toyota and move on.
z91

Post by z91 »

Get the Camry. Toyota should be pretty good about fixing issues like this, especially if well known. If you read enough about any car, it'll have some issues.
JS727

Post by JS727 »

What kind of vehicle are you looking at purchasing? You don't specifically say but from what you have posted I am guessing a sedan?

We have a 2019 Subaru Forester that we got brand new and we love it. It is a great car and has had no issues so far. That is what I would recommend. For a sedan go with the Camry, can't go wrong with Toyota.
"And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul." | | - John Muir
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

get a toyota with v6 better if it is a lexus .
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

have a 2015 Mazda 6 with 159K on it. runs like it is brand new. (not the turbo)

get the Sport version and you avoid the crazy huge wheels. great car for low $20s

when I get a new car in a few years it will be another Mazda or a used Lexus. tons of just 'off lease' low mileage Lexus vehicles down here in FL

also -- make sure you are COMFORTABLE in the car. some people get too tied up in the price / specs / details they end up in a car that they hate to drive :oops:

---------------------------------------
Last edited by mr_brightside on Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Just pick a car and be done with it.
When we were in the market for a car last time, we had no brand loyalty. I think most cars are similar in their respective categories. We were looking for compact SUV and chose Subaru. Partly because base modal has AWD so that we don't need to put chains when we go to snow.
orange2334

Post by orange2334 »

I'd vote Sonata- We have put 103,000 miles on our 2015 Sonata Hybrid, and I would say that I love the car and would purchase another. It's been a fun, no hassle car for me and my wife.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:14 pm
ShaftoesSpreadsheet wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:11 pm

Point was, company has a recall for near 1 million vehicles, largely for an engine problem. That exceeds one year of sales in the US by Subaru.
Subaru is only mid pack in reliability nowadays. In addition to what has been stated above, they have known issues with their 2.5 liter engine, which is basically in all their models. Their reliability ranking has dropped precipitously over the past 5-10 years.

Yet, any Subaru thread on this forum attracts legions of posters claiming how dependable their Subaru Forester is.

I think the point is that even cars with average reliability are actually pretty reliable nowadays.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I wouldn’t worry too much about reliability if you’re buying an ICE car.

1. ICE cars have all become very reliable.
2. ICE technology is a dead end and will be obsolete soon by BEV. So even if you have a reliable ICE car, by the time you’re ready to sell I think the market for them will be pretty depressed. Assuming you keep the car for about 10 years.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

manuvns wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:13 pm get a toyota with v6 better if it is a lexus .
Still front wheel drive... money could be spent on V6 RWD.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Kittens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 pm 2021 Toyota Camry - this generation has had a huge recall on 8 speed transmissions due to jerkiness and delays

does anyone have any recommendations for me to look into?
Safety is real important to me.

The Hyundai got a good rating, but only if it had specific headlights which might require a high trim level.

The other two got better ratings without any qualifications like that.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks

Kittens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 pm does anyone have any recommendations for me to look into? I want to keep this as long as possible.

am I overblowing this and should just pick a car?
Have you actually taken each of the card for a test drive, or are you just going by reviews? If you have not taken them for test drives then that would be the first step. Each car will feel and fit a lot different and you may be able to quickly rule out some cars just because they feel awkward to you. I have had rental cars before that were otherwise fine but I just did not like the way they felt so I could not wait to turn them in.

You also need to look at the availability of the different car models. Some models are in short supply because of a chip shortage and other pandemic related problems so you may have to pay top dollar for some models if you can even find them. There has been a lot of news about this and I just saw this article.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/business ... index.html

If you like sedans then you might also consider a Corolla. They generally gradually make cars larger and I had a 2018 Corolla that was almost as large as an early 2000's Camry that I had. It is not a huge or fancy car but it might be large enough for you. I would assume that the Civic and other comparable cars have gotten bigger too.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

This will sound strange, but I got a Chevy bolt last year - best car I ever owned. (I have not owned a Tesla). If your daily commute is under 100 miles a day and you don’t plan to make frequent long road trips - the Bolt is a great car, relatively inexpensive for an electric, very reliable and very cheap to maintain and cost wise is much cheaper for electricity than gas. JMO though....
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

H-Town wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:37 pm
manuvns wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:13 pm get a toyota with v6 better if it is a lexus .
Still front wheel drive... money could be spent on V6 RWD.
the 2gr-FE engines are built like rock otherwise
mercedes benz with a V6 /v8 or straight six , can't beat merc with RWD .

i would take most merc and toyota over most honda and subaru any given day.
Last edited by manuvns on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

Toyotas are usually at the top or very close to the top when it comes to reliability.

have you looked at a Prius? those are considered to be very reliable
Focus on what you can control
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

I prefer the carolla to Camry, so maybe check that out, also why not get a 3-4 year old car for 1/3 the price?

Also check out the Mazda CX series.
ram

Post by ram »

I have only good things to say about:
Toyota Camry, 1995
Toyota Avalon, 2006
Lexus LS 460, 2012
Ram
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Get the April issue of Consumer Reports.

Make a list of cars that they recommend that you’re interested in.

Test drive them.

Pick the three you like best.

Buy the one you can get the best deal on.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
jrmillions

Post by jrmillions »

Watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube. He has lots of great info and entertaining
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

There are people that complain very loudly online about the tiniest slight when it comes to cars. Ignore it and buy what you like.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

sport wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:59 pm
tibbitts wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:29 pm
I believe the Camry does not have a CVT. I don't know about the Accord.
The Camry has CVT in all Hybrids as far as I know. The last I checked I thought all 1.5L Accords were CVTs.
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

Anecdotally, I'd vote with Toyota. I have family members with a 2001 Corolla, runs perfectly well. We didn't even take that great care of it. When I bought a newer Corolla from the dealer, he told me of someone who had a Corolla with 400k miles on it.
My profile: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=86026 | Virtua lBogleheads® Blog: https://virtualbogleheads.wordpress.com/
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Test drive.

Which one do you actually enjoy driving? No car is perfect.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

jrmillions wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:18 pm Watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube. He has lots of great info and entertaining
If they do that, they'll come home with a 1994 Toyota Celica *laughing animal inset picture*
SethJane42

Post by SethJane42 »

I recommend Toyota.
Last edited by SethJane42 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I went with the 2009 Hyundai Sonata over the equivalent Accord, Camry, or Mazda 6. It was a simple choice really.

1. The Sonata was $ thousands less than the other 3 models
2. It had a 10 year warranty

I test drove all the vehicles and the others were superior to the Hyundai when looking at the overall package. The Sonata was discounted heavily while the other manufacturers sold closer to MSRP. Were they worth $3000 - $5000 more? Absolutely. The Hyundai seemed like it was in a lower class. I don't know how the 2021 models perform. However, I just wanted basic transportation to get from work and back and all 4 would accomplish the same task with the same amount of space and comfort without much difference.

My mom now has the Sonata now at our 12th year. Still working well. We had a trunk strut replaced under warranty at the 3 year mark. We had an ECU failure also replaced under warranty at the 5 year mark. Those are the only two items we've had thus far.