What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tooluser »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm
tooluser wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:19 pm Ma (2019)

Slowly building thriller that turns to horror. A woman repeatedly invites local teens into her home to party safely. What could possibly go wrong?

Watchable, but I cannot recommend it due to gratuitous gore/violence/adult situations when it turns to horror.

What is particularly notable about it is that it has a few big name stars in it: Octavia Spencer, Juliette Lewis, and Allison Janney. I guess they were looking to expand their range. None of them play what has been a typical role for them.
I didn’t like it but I’m not opposed to violence in movies. I mean if you’re watching a horror movie - I think it was a blumhouse movie?- you kind of expect violence going in no? Reservoir dogs was great but the violence was horrifying and stayed with me for like 20 years or whenever it was made.
Agree. I put those warnings into my reviews so there is no mistake about what the viewer is getting into. Some violence and horror is not gratuitous and not gorey, and I rather prefer that. I always try to find something positive if I can. If the movie has been well-discussed here or was boring with no redeeming value I don't write it up. Now I have to watch Reservoir Dogs again, I don't recall it being that violent, and I enjoyed it.
tenkuky
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tenkuky »

tooluser wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:18 pm
Shalom Aleichem wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm
tooluser wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:19 pm Ma (2019)

Slowly building thriller that turns to horror. A woman repeatedly invites local teens into her home to party safely. What could possibly go wrong?

Watchable, but I cannot recommend it due to gratuitous gore/violence/adult situations when it turns to horror.

What is particularly notable about it is that it has a few big name stars in it: Octavia Spencer, Juliette Lewis, and Allison Janney. I guess they were looking to expand their range. None of them play what has been a typical role for them.
I didn’t like it but I’m not opposed to violence in movies. I mean if you’re watching a horror movie - I think it was a blumhouse movie?- you kind of expect violence going in no? Reservoir dogs was great but the violence was horrifying and stayed with me for like 20 years or whenever it was made.
Agree. I put those warnings into my reviews so there is no mistake about what the viewer is getting into. Some violence and horror is not gratuitous and not gorey, and I rather prefer that. I always try to find something positive if I can. If the movie has been well-discussed here or was boring with no redeeming value I don't write it up. Now I have to watch Reservoir Dogs again, I don't recall it being that violent, and I enjoyed it.
BTW, love your profile pic. Compared to all the movies we mention in these threads, there is really nothing like it. I rewatch the Dawn clip on Youtube just to realize how great film-making can be.
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tooluser »

Thank you! It was not meant to be movie-centric, but that is certainly a memorable scene when combined with the music. It represents the spark of understanding I received when I first decided to go Bogleheadish in my investments.
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 8392
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bertilak »

tooluser wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:23 pm Thank you! It was not meant to be movie-centric, but that is certainly a memorable scene when combined with the music. It represents the spark of understanding I received when I first decided to go Bogleheadish in my investments.
Ah, now I get it!

Of course one doesn't need to "get" it's significance to your investing to appreciate it, but knowing adds a bit of interest.

I always saw the end of that sequence as the bone morphing into a space ship but have recently read that it is supposed to be some sort of space-based weapon which would make sense as the evolution of weaponry. Either way that quick cut is one of the most powerful things in cinema.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Shalom Aleichem
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

tooluser wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:18 pm
Shalom Aleichem wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm
tooluser wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:19 pm Ma (2019)

Slowly building thriller that turns to horror. A woman repeatedly invites local teens into her home to party safely. What could possibly go wrong?

Watchable, but I cannot recommend it due to gratuitous gore/violence/adult situations when it turns to horror.

What is particularly notable about it is that it has a few big name stars in it: Octavia Spencer, Juliette Lewis, and Allison Janney. I guess they were looking to expand their range. None of them play what has been a typical role for them.
I didn’t like it but I’m not opposed to violence in movies. I mean if you’re watching a horror movie - I think it was a blumhouse movie?- you kind of expect violence going in no? Reservoir dogs was great but the violence was horrifying and stayed with me for like 20 years or whenever it was made.
Agree. I put those warnings into my reviews so there is no mistake about what the viewer is getting into. Some violence and horror is not gratuitous and not gorey, and I rather prefer that. I always try to find something positive if I can. If the movie has been well-discussed here or was boring with no redeeming value I don't write it up. Now I have to watch Reservoir Dogs again, I don't recall it being that violent, and I enjoyed it.
Clowns to the left
Of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am - stuck In the middle with you.

Are used to enjoy that song. Ever since Reservoir dogs when I hear that music I get very tense and I feel my blood pressure rise. Let me know what you think!
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 2775
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: Ashtabula, 56th and Wabasha
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas »

The White Tiger (2021) Adarsh Gourav, Rajkummar Rao, Priyanka Chopra

An ambitious Indian driver uses his wit and cunning to escape from poverty and rise to the top. An epic journey based on the New York Times bestseller.

Up for an Academy Award. Completely engrossing plot, it reminded me of the Korean film Parasite (2019). The protagonist was totally believable, actually all of the characters were. Recommended. Streamed it on Netflix.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 10405
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by cheese_breath »

heartwood wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:13 pm
Cruise wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:26 pm Watched "Tina" last night, HBO's documentary on Tina Turner. Very nicely done. Saw it on HBO Max.

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/tina
Just watched this and loved Tina and her amazing voice, dancing and moves. Disappointingly it's 90+% talking (yes, it's a documentary), a lot not by her. i'd hoped for concert video. Some of the best is in the closing credits: Only the Best.
Just finished watching, and I thought it had the right amount of music considering it's a documentary. You can find concert videos on YouTube.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
User avatar
Metsfan91
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Metsfan91 »

Quigley Down Under
“Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy.” — John C. Bogle
tenkuky
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tenkuky »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:25 pm
Clowns to the left
Of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am - stuck In the middle with you.

Are used to enjoy that song. Ever since Reservoir dogs when I hear that music I get very tense and I feel my blood pressure rise. Let me know what you think!
Yeah, can you imagine listening to "Singing in the Rain" after watching Clockwork Orange? :twisted:
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 21160
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

Death in the Clouds, on YouTube.

While Poirot sleeps on an airplane flight from Paris to London, a notorious French moneylender is murdered with a poisoned dart.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 11571
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ResearchMed »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:50 pm Death in the Clouds, on YouTube.

While Poirot sleeps on an airplane flight from Paris to London, a notorious French moneylender is murdered with a poisoned dart.
Is this with David Suchet?
How did the plot/acting compare with other Poirots?

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 21160
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:57 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:50 pm Death in the Clouds, on YouTube.

While Poirot sleeps on an airplane flight from Paris to London, a notorious French moneylender is murdered with a poisoned dart.
Is this with David Suchet?
How did the plot/acting compare with other Poirots?

Thanks.

RM
Yes, David Suchet stars as Poirot.

I always enjoy these Poirot mysteries, but this is not my favorite.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 8392
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:12 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:57 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:50 pm Death in the Clouds, on YouTube.

While Poirot sleeps on an airplane flight from Paris to London, a notorious French moneylender is murdered with a poisoned dart.
Is this with David Suchet?
How did the plot/acting compare with other Poirots?

Thanks.

RM
Yes, David Suchet stars as Poirot.

I always enjoy these Poirot mysteries, but this is not my favorite.
If I remember correctly this was one of the earlier episodes before they went for more production value and HD format. As far as plot goes, it was, in my opinion, one of the middle road ploys: sufficient but not outstanding. It did have a touch of the exotic with blow guns.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
40 Years' Gatherin's
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:39 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by 40 Years' Gatherin's »

denovo wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:10 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:45 pm Jane Got a Gun, on Blu-ray DVD. A Western romance action film with Natalie Portman. Meh.
What's a DVD
It's an optical disc that you buy to play at in your home. You own it, and it can't be taken away from you, and playing it is not dependent on your internet connection. Far superior to streaming.
User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 10405
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by cheese_breath »

40 Years' Gatherin's wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:40 pm
denovo wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:10 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:45 pm Jane Got a Gun, on Blu-ray DVD. A Western romance action film with Natalie Portman. Meh.
What's a DVD
It's an optical disc that you buy to play at in your home. You own it, and it can't be taken away from you, and playing it is not dependent on your internet connection. Far superior to streaming.
And they actually have things called DVD players so you can stream something else on your computer at the same time.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 8392
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bertilak »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:49 pm
40 Years' Gatherin's wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:40 pm
denovo wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:10 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:45 pm Jane Got a Gun, on Blu-ray DVD. A Western romance action film with Natalie Portman. Meh.
What's a DVD
It's an optical disc that you buy to play at in your home. You own it, and it can't be taken away from you, and playing it is not dependent on your internet connection. Far superior to streaming.
And they actually have things called DVD players so you can stream something else on your computer at the same time.
Wait 'til you hear about Blu-ray!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
New Providence
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:10 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by New Providence »

On HBO MAX:

Marie Antoinette is a 2006 historical drama film written and directed by Sofia Coppola and starring Kirsten Dunst.

It is based on the life of Queen Marie Antoinette in the years leading up to the French Revolution. It won the Academy Award for Best Costume Design. It was released in the United States on October 20, 2006, by Columbia Pictures.
Shalom Aleichem
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

bertilak wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:33 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:49 pm
40 Years' Gatherin's wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:40 pm
denovo wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:10 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:45 pm Jane Got a Gun, on Blu-ray DVD. A Western romance action film with Natalie Portman. Meh.
What's a DVD
It's an optical disc that you buy to play at in your home. You own it, and it can't be taken away from you, and playing it is not dependent on your internet connection. Far superior to streaming.
And they actually have things called DVD players so you can stream something else on your computer at the same time.
Wait 'til you hear about Blu-ray!
Is that the same thing as Betamax?
User avatar
Go Blue 99
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I really enjoyed Calibre, which is available on Netflix. It's about two guys who go hunting in a small Scottish village. Something tragic occurs and rest of the film is about the resulting fallout. It's categorized as horror, but I would definitely say it's more suspense/thriller. It's a Netflix original but has the look and feel of an indie film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6218358/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tooluser »

The Egg and I

1947 Fred MacMurray/Claudette Colbert comedy on TCM. A wealthy couple tries to make a go by starting a chicken farm way out in the country.

It caught my eye because the title was the name of a restaurant near where I lived when growing up. (Though I never ate there.) So I decided to see what was up with that. Also, I've been playing a game called Egg, Inc. on my phone, where one runs a rather preposterous chicken farm. (The goal of the game appears to be make money for the creators through frequent advertising.)

This movie had the first appearance of Ma and Pa Kettle, who rather upstaged the two stars in the mind of the public. The Green Acres TV series and the later part of the I Love Lucy TV series very clearly drew inspiration from this film.

The MacMurray character is kind of a jerk, while the Colbert character is rather too passive. I didn't like how that relationship played. But it was kind of fun, glad I watched it.
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 21160
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

The Mysterious Affair at Styles, on YouTube.

Hastings renews his friendship with Poirot (David Suchet) and involves him in the mysterious poisoning of the mistress of a manor house married to a man twenty years her junior.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
lostdog
Posts: 4049
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by lostdog »

Capsu78 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:22 am "The Sound of Metal" on Amazon Prime. Really didn't think I fit the demographics for this movie and was prepared to not like it or the character... but it has been mentioned here too many times to ignore. Watched it with my wife and we both really enjoyed it. I agree it will be up for awards. Lead character really quite likable. Excellent story that is worth 2 hours of your time.
+1 Great movie and worth the Oscar nomination.
VTI | VXUS | BNDW
User avatar
WingsFan4Life
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:54 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by WingsFan4Life »

Just watched Margin Call (2011).
friar1610
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: MA South Shore

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by friar1610 »

Two recent movies from Netflix and Prime (but can’t recall which movie was on which channel):

- Quartet. Set in an old folks home for retired musicians in England. Witty but far short of a comedy with excellent acting and music. Much of the cast is comprised of former real-life opera/symphony stars. Biggest star, IMO, is Maggie Smith who has a couple of lines reminiscent of Downton Abbey. Upbeat ending, no guns or murder. Only a few well placed f-bombs.

- Hope Gap. Set on the Dover coast. An older husband and wife (Bill Nighy and Annette Bening) have reached a difficult point in their relationship. Their adult son, played by Josh O’Connor (Prince Charles in The Crown) lives in London, comes home occasionally and gets caught in the middle. Not what you’d call a happy movie but scenery and acting are excellent.
Friar1610
rich126
Posts: 2634
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by rich126 »

Watched a WW2 movie based on one survivor from a US recon flight in Belgium. Julie Ormand and Bill Paxton starred. Slow moving and a sad ending. On Amazon Prime.

Also on prime is a documentary about Nancy Wade who was in the British SOE. Very interesting and on Prime.
Shalom Aleichem
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

I just watched "Nobody." Some of the same people involved as John Wick. I enjoy action movies. But they have to be intelligent. Die Hard is good. Any Clint Eastwood Western is good. Many Kung Fu movies are good (though a great many are bad.) To be honest I didn't care for John Wick. The setup was great but the action was just bang bang bend over bang band turn the the right bang bang.

Nobody was pretty good. It had a good story and in contract to John Wick you could actually see the fighting.

Recommended if you are in the mood for a simple action movie.
Shalom Aleichem
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

WingsFan4Life wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:03 pm Just watched Margin Call (2011).
I saw it but didn't care for it. A bunch of unsympathetic characters who caused a great deal of suffering to others and ended up very wealthy because of it. Much better in my opinion, but a different movie, was The Big Short. Light comedy-drama. Strongly recommended.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 72069
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek »

lostdog wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:24 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:22 am "The Sound of Metal" on Amazon Prime. Really didn't think I fit the demographics for this movie and was prepared to not like it or the character... but it has been mentioned here too many times to ignore. Watched it with my wife and we both really enjoyed it. I agree it will be up for awards. Lead character really quite likable. Excellent story that is worth 2 hours of your time.
+1 Great movie and worth the Oscar nomination.
The Sound of Metal, free on Amazon Prime. I would have never chosen this movie on my own and was seeing how many others enjoyed it. I agree, it's very good.

I also watched it because it was in Ultra High-Def "UHD" (the format is HDR) which I'm enjoying very much on my new 65" OLED TV. If a movie is good enough, you will forget about the technical details and just watch. This is one of those movies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 661
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by CardinalRule »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:58 am
WingsFan4Life wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:03 pm Just watched Margin Call (2011).
I saw it but didn't care for it. A bunch of unsympathetic characters who caused a great deal of suffering to others and ended up very wealthy because of it. Much better in my opinion, but a different movie, was The Big Short. Light comedy-drama. Strongly recommended.
I liked Margin Call a lot, and also The Big Short. I think that they are currently available on the Peacock and Pluto networks. But I think my slight favorite in this general genre is Too Big To Fail (HBO).

Last night DW and I watched and enjoyed WeWork: Or the Making and Breaking of a $47 Billion Unicorn a new movie on Hulu. Very timely, given WeWork's second attempt at going public.
Last edited by CardinalRule on Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
WingsFan4Life
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:54 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by WingsFan4Life »

CardinalRule wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:36 pm
Shalom Aleichem wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:58 am
WingsFan4Life wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:03 pm Just watched Margin Call (2011).
I saw it but didn't care for it. A bunch of unsympathetic characters who caused a great deal of suffering to others and ended up very wealthy because of it. Much better in my opinion, but a different movie, was The Big Short. Light comedy-drama. Strongly recommended.
I liked Margin Call a lot, and also The Big Short. I think that they are currently available on the Peacock and Pluto networks. But I think my slight favorite in this general genre is Too Big Too Fail (HBO).

Last night DW and I watched and enjoyed WeWork: Or the Making and Breaking of a $47 Billion Unicorn a new movie on Hulu. Very timely, given WeWork's second attempt at going public.
I liked Margin Call too, as well as The Big Short. Watched Wall Street (1987) today for first time, and now I understand the Gordon Gekko references :)
tenkuky
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tenkuky »

Thunder Force (2021)
Netflix.
Time in my life I will never get back. A shame too, since Octavia Spencer is a wonderful actress and Melissa McCarthy is very funny.
There is no story line and the jokes fall flat.
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tooluser »

Brewster McCloud

This was Robert Altman's first film after M*A*S*H. It has some of the same actors in starring roles (Bud Cort, Sally Kellerman, John Schuck). It also features Margaret Hamilton, Stacey Keach, and the debut of Shelley Duvall. It's a very odd film, sort of a parody of many films, but there might be a message somewhere in there. Also great for fans of the Houston Astrodome.
stoptothink
Posts: 9330
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by stoptothink »

CardinalRule wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:36 pmLast night DW and I watched and enjoyed WeWork: Or the Making and Breaking of a $47 Billion Unicorn a new movie on Hulu. Very timely, given WeWork's second attempt at going public.
WeWork was great, gave you something to think about regarding all these "tech" unicorns.
cogitan
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by cogitan »

Larry Crown on Prime. Stars Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. Enjoyable family movie.
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 661
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by CardinalRule »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:25 pm
Clowns to the left
Of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am - stuck In the middle with you.

Are used to enjoy that song. Ever since Reservoir dogs when I hear that music I get very tense and I feel my blood pressure rise. Let me know what you think!
And did you know that the singer of "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" was the killer? :shock: :wink:
sid hartha
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by sid hartha »

Layer Cake (2004) on Amazon Prime.

This has to be one of the best modern crime thriller / heist films that I have seen. It has an all start cast, slick directing style, good action but not over the top silly. The film's plot revolves around a London-based criminal, played by Daniel Craig, who works in the cocaine trade and wishes to leave the drug business. The film also features Tom Hardy, Colm Meaney, Michael Gambon and Sienna Miller.
Capsu78
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Capsu78 »

sid hartha wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:48 pm Layer Cake (2004) on Amazon Prime.

This has to be one of the best modern crime thriller / heist films that I have seen. It has an all start cast, slick directing style, good action but not over the top silly. The film's plot revolves around a London-based criminal, played by Daniel Craig, who works in the cocaine trade and wishes to leave the drug business. The film also features Tom Hardy, Colm Meaney, Michael Gambon and Sienna Miller.
+1. I have also found it pairs well with "In Bruge" from a witty dialog POV and plenty of gunplay. After seeing the movie in 2008, guess where we ended up on vacation in 2010!
a
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:00 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by a »

Go Blue 99 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:23 pm I really enjoyed Calibre, which is available on Netflix. It's about two guys who go hunting in a small Scottish village. Something tragic occurs and rest of the film is about the resulting fallout. It's categorized as horror, but I would definitely say it's more suspense/thriller. It's a Netflix original but has the look and feel of an indie film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6218358/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Watched Calibre on this recommendation. One critic compared it to Deliverance on the back of "city folk crashing into country folk" but it's more similar to Midsommar* in that it extols the virtues of "the old ways". The themes are justice and the idea that there aren't bad people there are only people placed in tough situations.

*from what I've read on Deliverance

SPOILERS:

One part I found slightly inconsistent is that Marcus is painted to be a bad guy - cocaine, abandoning his friend, scraping the bullet out of the kid's skull, "life isnt fair". Would have been more consistent in keeping Marcus as a regular guy forced into the predicament only by the tough choice between his friend's life and a stranger's. (In response to someone saying he could have just shot the gun out of the guy's hands instead of shooting him in the chest, if you're going to skirt the movie's questions why watch the movie or why should anyone make movies.)

The question of justice vs. deterrence is interesting. If your relative was shot as an innocent on purpose, shouldn't the killer be executed too, barring the question of that the justice system is likely to make mistakes and so the finality of execution is dangerous? But modern laws (punishments) are based on minimum force to deter, not bring down justice. Why is minimal force an aim of the criminal law system? It's not merely to keep down costs, because most penalties are jail time and keeping people in jail is expensive.


I enjoyed the movie and recommend it if you are looking for a nail-biter with some action, but not gratuitous or Michael Bay Transformers action. It's a thinking person's movie, not by way of puzzles but that it stimulates you to ponder some of the rules we live by.
New Providence
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:10 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by New Providence »

WingsFan4Life wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 pm
CardinalRule wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:36 pm
Shalom Aleichem wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:58 am
WingsFan4Life wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:03 pm Just watched Margin Call (2011).
I saw it but didn't care for it. A bunch of unsympathetic characters who caused a great deal of suffering to others and ended up very wealthy because of it. Much better in my opinion, but a different movie, was The Big Short. Light comedy-drama. Strongly recommended.
I liked Margin Call a lot, and also The Big Short. I think that they are currently available on the Peacock and Pluto networks. But I think my slight favorite in this general genre is Too Big Too Fail (HBO).

Last night DW and I watched and enjoyed WeWork: Or the Making and Breaking of a $47 Billion Unicorn a new movie on Hulu. Very timely, given WeWork's second attempt at going public.
I liked Margin Call too, as well as The Big Short. Watched Wall Street (1987) today for first time, and now I understand the Gordon Gekko references :)
Amazing thing was the Margin Call was from a first time director. Very sure-footed all around.
patgrennan
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:11 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by patgrennan »

unhinged;
Russell Crowe; road rage theory...
Russell has gotten quite large in this show; watching it gave great anxiety.....husband gave up left the room.
patgrennan
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:11 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by patgrennan »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:27 pm Thunder Force (2021)
Netflix.
Time in my life I will never get back. A shame too, since Octavia Spencer is a wonderful actress and Melissa McCarthy is very funny.
There is no story line and the jokes fall flat.
HOrrible!!!!!!!!
sid hartha
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by sid hartha »

Capsu78 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:54 pm
sid hartha wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:48 pm Layer Cake (2004) on Amazon Prime.

This has to be one of the best modern crime thriller / heist films that I have seen. It has an all start cast, slick directing style, good action but not over the top silly. The film's plot revolves around a London-based criminal, played by Daniel Craig, who works in the cocaine trade and wishes to leave the drug business. The film also features Tom Hardy, Colm Meaney, Michael Gambon and Sienna Miller.
+1. I have also found it pairs well with "In Bruge" from a witty dialog POV and plenty of gunplay. After seeing the movie in 2008, guess where we ended up on vacation in 2010!
In Bruges was also excellent, good call!
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 21160
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

Murder on the Orient Express, on YouTube.

When a murder occurs on the train on which he's travelling is snowbound in a blizzard, celebrated detective Hercule Poirot (David Suchet) is recruited to solve the case.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
rich126
Posts: 2634
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by rich126 »

Wander, free on Amazon Prime with Tommy Lee Jones and Aaron Eckhart. Not worth the price. I thought it was terrible. My GF asked why did we watch all of it and I said "Well, I was hoping it would get better or make some sense."
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tooluser »

Under the Skin

An alien entity lures people to their deaths, then perhaps develops a bit of compassion. A good story but rather slow. An excellent feeling of alienness is portrayed mostly through the soundtrack. Many questions left unanswered. It's worth watching if you like dark science fiction.
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 21160
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

The Mystery of the Blue Train, on YouTube.

Poirot (David Suchet) investigates the brutal murder of an American heiress and the theft of a fabulous ruby on the Blue Train between Calais and Nice.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
User avatar
jjunk
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jjunk »

The new Mortal Kombat on HBO

It's overly gory for no apparent reason and the acting is horrible (as is the story). That said, if you liked the game, its always fun to see how the characters are portrayed and to see the live action version of some of their moves. The actor playing Kano was absolutely hilarious. If you dont like blood and gore though, definitely do not watch.
SethJane42
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 5:38 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SethJane42 »

Fearless with Jeff Bridges. Man survives a plane crash. Dude deserved an Oscar for this one. Peter Weir (Witness, Truman Show, Dead Poet's Society) directed.
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 8392
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:25 am The Mystery of the Blue Train, on YouTube.

Poirot (David Suchet) investigates the brutal murder of an American heiress and the theft of a fabulous ruby on the Blue Train between Calais and Nice.
ALL episodes are available on Britbox.

David Suchet owns this character. Other portrayals, even by renowned actors, don't come close.

This series is also remarkable for the supporting cast:
Philip Jackson (Inspector Japp)
Hugh Fraser (Captain Hastings)
Miss Lemon (Pauline Moran)

Captain Hastings was somewhat slow on the uptake and often had a surprised moment of comprehension where he would blurt out "Good Lord!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59oS5ja9on4). One of the writers (Anthony Horowitz) said in a retrospective show that the writers had an unofficial contest to see how often they could work that into the script. I did hear it twice in one episode but I was generally unaware of this until late in the game so some writer may have topped that.

Suchet wore a "fat suit" for his portrayal.

He perfected the Poirot walk by pretending to pinch a golf ball between his but cheeks. As Hastings would say, Good Lord!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Jeff Albertson
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Werner Herzog's 'Happy People: A Year in the Taiga', on Amazon Prime.
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga is a 2010 documentary film directed by Werner Herzog and Dmitry Vasyukov and produced by Herzog.[2] The film depicts the life of the people in the village of Bakhta (62.464463°N 89.002168°E) at the confluence of the Yenisei and the Bakhta River, in the Siberian taiga. In particular, it focuses on the Russian trappers who hunt for fur animals, such as sable, depicting their cyclical, self-reliant life dealing with the subarctic climate and geographic isolation. It also briefly detours to a look at the life of native Ket people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Peo ... _the_Taiga
trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cijkIXXiSW4
An expanded (4 hour) version is on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbhPIK-oBvA
Post Reply