Out on 4Runner - Used Lexus GX?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fishmonger

Out on 4Runner - Used Lexus GX?

Post by fishmonger »

Big Toyota loyalist here. Wife is looking to replace her 2009 Highlander and have finally decided we are out on the new 4Runners (previously drove a 2000 'Runner - best car I ever owned).

For comfort/family purposes, she's now looking used Lexus GX - basically the "luxury" 4Runner, something a few years old in the $35k range. Any drivers out there? Anything we should know ahead of time?
lazydavid

Re: Out on 4Runner - Used Lexus GX?

Post by lazydavid »

Comfortable ride, great off-road capability, bulletproof reliability and atrocious gas mileage. :)
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:40 am Comfortable ride, great off-road capability, bulletproof reliability and atrocious gas mileage. :)
Ha, aware of the gas mileage. Wife wants what the wife wants!

She has no interest in jewerly, shoes, handbags, etc and has always driven a high mileage used vehicle so it is what it is....
sec_vol

Post by sec_vol »

Love my GX 460. Had an old 4Runner and made the same move you're contemplating. It's one of the few Toyotas that are made in Japan and sold in the USA. Basically a smaller Land Cruiser.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Interested in this discussion with similar situation:

a 4-Runner or GX 460, replacing a 2007 Highlander.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

If you are towing anything note the GX has a V8 and much better towing capacity. Also has more headroom. Was starting to look into one myself. Wondering if a better deal could be found since the GX might not have the cult-like following of the 4 runners.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Just bought a loaded 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD pro/limited. Came out to $48-$50k OTD.
Very nice wheels.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

sec_vol wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:50 am Love my GX 460. Had an old 4Runner and made the same move you're contemplating. It's one of the few Toyotas that are made in Japan and sold in the USA. Basically a smaller Land Cruiser.
Maybe in the market for a luxury SUV midsize.
Did not know this.
Will look into it.
Thanks!

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

fishmonger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 am Big Toyota loyalist here. Wife is looking to replace her 2009 Highlander and have finally decided we are out on the new 4Runners (previously drove a 2000 'Runner - best car I ever owned).

For comfort/family purposes, she's now looking used Lexus GX - basically the "luxury" 4Runner, something a few years old in the $35k range. Any drivers out there? Anything we should know ahead of time?
I went the same route. Used 4Runners in Colorado are ridiculously expensive, to the point that it makes no sense to buy used. I found a 1-owner used GX460 for the same price as the same age/mileage 4Runner. I love it. The gas mileage is what it is, requires premium fuel, so that can get expensive. The only issue I’ve had is a couple of door lock actuators going out, but Toyota uses the same ones on everything from the cheapest Toyota to the top end Lexus. eBay has discounted actuators and it took about 30 minutes to swap them out.
Mine is a base model, which means I don’t have some options, but moonroof, leather, and heated/ventilated front seats are standard on all.
Toyota sells this as the Land Cruiser Prado around the world. Same car minus some of the luxury.
I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
Last edited by 5280Tim on Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisam314

Post by chrisam314 »

Nearly pulled the trigger on 2 GX's a couple months ago. Wound up getting a new 4Runner limited instead.

The first GX we got from carvana. It was beat to you know what on the inside and the pictures didn't accurately reflect that. Some banker in NYC had leased it for 3 years and apparently let the kids and dog just go to town on the inside.

The 2nd one we test drove and it was in great condition on the inside. Asked the dealer to provide the mtc records since it was leased out by them. Had a bunch of electrical problems so that was red flag and not worth the risk.

Decided if we were going to drop ~$40K might as well just get a new 4runner and not inherit someone elses problems.

GX are great SUVs and I'm still considering it to replace our other car in a few years (an 04 Highlander). Premium fuel and the V8 though really do hit the wallet though.
chrisam314

Post by chrisam314 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 am
sec_vol wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:50 am Love my GX 460. Had an old 4Runner and made the same move you're contemplating. It's one of the few Toyotas that are made in Japan and sold in the USA. Basically a smaller Land Cruiser.
Did not know this.
Will look into it.
Thanks!

Both the Lexus GX and the Toyota 4Runner are manufactured in Japan.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Also consider the LX570, which is the GX's big brother and Lexus flagship. You can get a 2011-2013 in great condition for the mid-high $30k range. Mileage is immaterial. They (along with corporate cousin Toyota Land Cruiser) are literally the most reliable SUV ever made by anyone, with a designed service life of 25+ years even in harsh conditions.
SnoopisTDI

Post by SnoopisTDI »

If you are on Facebook, check out GXOR (GX Off-Road). It's mostly geared toward offroading, but there is a ton of general knowledge that might help you in your search.

I bought a GX470 in 2016 and a friend bought a GX460 last year. We are both loving these cars.
thatme

Post by thatme »

I've got a 2013 GX, just about to cross 100K miles, have had no issues since I purchased it at 50K miles about 2.5 years ago. Great vehicle, seems to be holding its value really well.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

We have a 2005 GX470 we bought new. If we get a similar vehicle to replace it, it would probably be a few year old GX460. It's a boring vehicle and yes bad mileage but both things were known upfront. For what it is, it's really gotten the job done. Since our car is quite old (though still only 95k miles) it's eventually had its share of problems (air suspension failed, replaced with spring kit for similar Toyota, stranded us with engine ignition coil problem last year, and some more minor and cosmetic things) but it was bulletproof for a long time.

However we might get something a little more fun as the 'park on the street, some carrying capacity' car, maybe few year old Porsche Macan GTS (the non-practical, garaged car is a 2018 BWW M2). I fully realize it would be a different kettle of fish.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

Who doesn't love reliable vehicles? With that said, I refuse to live day-to-day with a vehicle that's best days are a decade in the past. The majority of SUV's built today are going to be reliable and a lot more bang for the buck. If you plan on putting the vehicle through the Baja 1000 for the next 300k miles and nothing else matters, stick with the 4 Runner/GX. They are not the same vehicle but have a lot of similarities.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Perhaps you should clarify: since you don't like the 4RRunner, and the Lexus GX is derived from the 4Runner, what are the shortcomings you or your wife sees in the 4Runner that you are hoping the GX remedies?

And if your old 4Runner was the best car you ever owned, what change led you to now be "out" on it?

That might help get better targeted feedback.
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

I've always been tempted by the GX, but frankly, I've sorta ruled it out for what may seem like a silly reason: The design of the tailgate.

Unlike on most SUVs, the GX tailgate swings open sideways instead of lifting up. Here in the rainy Pac NW, especially as someone who does a lot of outdoors stuff like climbing/hiking/skiing, getting ready under the weather/rain protection of a lift-up tailgate is just a way of life. The side opening GX tailgate means nowhere to stand/sit under a protective cover. Even in suburbia, this is helpful at malls and grocery stores.

Also, if a vehicle in the US does use such a tailgate, it should probably open in the other direction, so that you can open it from the right side and access things from the more frequenly-used curb side, instead of walking out next to traffic. Sure, how it's implemented works in Japan and other countries where people drive on the left, but I can't believe Toyota hasn't figured out to reverse it for the US and the rest of the world.
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:59 am Perhaps you should clarify: since you don't like the 4RRunner, and the Lexus GX is derived from the 4Runner, what are the shortcomings you or your wife sees in the 4Runner that you are hoping the GX remedies?

And if your old 4Runner was the best car you ever owned, what change led you to now be "out" on it?

That might help get better targeted feedback.
Generally speaking, more comfort. We are not tall people but the headroom in the 4Runner feels small. Also the backseat of the GX has a removable center console, making it easier to put/reach things in the back, getting the dog back there, etc.

We were 26 when we had the old 4Runner, either with no kids or two in carseats. Now we have an 11 and 10 year old
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

Oreamnos wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:02 am I've always been tempted by the GX, but frankly, I've sorta ruled it out for what may seem like a silly reason: The design of the tailgate.

Unlike on most SUVs, the GX tailgate swings open sideways instead of lifting up. Here in the rainy Pac NW, especially as someone who does a lot of outdoors stuff like climbing/hiking/skiing, getting ready under the weather/rain protection of a lift-up tailgate is just a way of life. The side opening GX tailgate means nowhere to stand/sit under a protective cover. Even in suburbia, this is helpful at malls and grocery stores.

Also, if a vehicle in the US does use such a tailgate, it should probably open in the other direction, so that you can open it from the right side and access things from the more frequenly-used curb side, instead of walking out next to traffic. Sure, how it's implemented works in Japan and other countries where people drive on the left, but I can't believe Toyota hasn't figured out to reverse it for the US and the rest of the world.
We both found that VERY odd as well, but determined at the end of the day it wouldn't be a deal breaker
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

chrisam314 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am
Did not know this.
Will look into it.
Thanks!

So is the Prius.
thatme

Post by thatme »

chrisjul wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:09 am
chrisam314 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am
Did not know this.
Will look into it.
Thanks!

So is the Prius.
And some, but not all, Rav-4's.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

In 2016, in a search for a new SUV, I really considered a new GX 460. In the end, it came in second place mainly because of the dated interior and I didn’t feel like I was getting the most bang for my buck.It’s the same reason I didn’t replace my old 4Runner with a new 4Runner. The reliability is great but I wanted more.
jtdavid

Post by jtdavid »

Great cars. Just really need updating...
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

GX and it's larger cousin LX are outstanding SUV's, extremely reliable, comfortable, and great value. Forget mileage and all the little complaints about liftgate, get one and you'll be happy for a long time.
financialheadache

Post by financialheadache »

Comfortable and reliable. For years they'd get bought up at US dealers and exported to Russia and other countries.
We have a 2003 GX470 with low mileage, bought new, that is starting to finally break down. Rust/frame is going and not sure when it will fail completely. Difficult to find another SUV with the same seat comfort - they've all become less cushy.
MoonGlow

Post by MoonGlow »

I own a 2006 GX470. B/est vehicle I personally have ever owned. Has bad gas mileage but that is come to be expected and the timing belt maintenance can be a pain but I feel it's worth it.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

gator15 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 pm In 2016, in a search for a new SUV, I really considered a new GX 460. In the end, it came in second place mainly because of the dated interior and I didn’t feel like I was getting the most bang for my buck.It’s the same reason I didn’t replace my old 4Runner with a new 4Runner. The reliability is great but I wanted more.
What did you end up getting?
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:07 pm
gator15 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 pm In 2016, in a search for a new SUV, I really considered a new GX 460. In the end, it came in second place mainly because of the dated interior and I didn’t feel like I was getting the most bang for my buck.It’s the same reason I didn’t replace my old 4Runner with a new 4Runner. The reliability is great but I wanted more.
What did you end up getting?
I got a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Five years later I still have the vehicle and it’s been great. Oil changes and new tires are all I’ve done over the time period. It has 80k miles. Suits our lifestyle as we live in snow country and love packing the Jeep with camping equipment, bikes and other outdoor equipment.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I've had two Lexus GX in a row, I think they are a bargain for what you get. Really not that much more than a loaded 4 Runner if you get an entry level one, but WAY nicer. Built like a tank, basically everything good about the 4 Runner in a nicer luxury wrapper.

Bad:

Horrible gas mileage. Average around 16mpg for mostly in town driving.
Tailgate opens like a door that swings to the side, and the hinges are on the "wrong" side. Really awkward, it's a bigger negative than you might think.

Good:

Full time 4 wheel drive, great in the snow and wet roads
Solid construction
Reliable
Strong resale
Roomy
3rd Row in back
Most options are standard
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

I love my 2005 Lexus GX470; bought new and presently has about 97K. Its always been dealer-maintained. A recent pricey repair was replacing the rear pneumatic shocks.

It is way too nice to trade in. It might only be worth about $7K now, and I'd probably have to add $50K to that to buy anything new that was as nice and capable. Maybe I'll let my son have it in a year or two and buy something new for myself. But it will NOT be the Tesla Cybertruck he thinks we need :-)
illumination

Post by illumination »

TierArtz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 pm I love my 2005 Lexus GX470; bought new and presently has about 97K. Its always been dealer-maintained. A recent pricey repair was replacing the rear pneumatic shocks.

Something I found was it uses the same shocks as a Toyota 4Runner, I got a pair from Toyota for like $70 and put them on in about an hour. Worked great, I just no longer had the "ride control" that I never used anyway.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

illumination wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 am
TierArtz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 pm I love my 2005 Lexus GX470; bought new and presently has about 97K. Its always been dealer-maintained. A recent pricey repair was replacing the rear pneumatic shocks.
Something I found was it uses the same shocks as a Toyota 4Runner, I got a pair from Toyota for like $70 and put them on in about an hour. Worked great, I just no longer had the "ride control" that I never used anyway.
Same issue with our 2005 GX470, also bought new. It wasn't literally the shock absorbers though, but a fault among the air bag springs, compressor, controller(s) etc. of the rear air ride suspension system. There are lots of elements and one or another start to fail on GX's after some years, a notorious exception to the model's general reputation for high reliability. Seems to be a worse problem in climates where the underside of the car is exposed to road salt. Assuming it's not just the shocks (there are separate shocks on the Lexus air ride system unlike other makers which use combined air spring/damper units), then it's quite expensive to replace the various items as they fail, or multiple elements on a preventative basis, especially by a dealer. But I paid IIRC $400-something for a steel spring/conventional shock kit for equivalent Toyota, then removed some fuses and replaced the air ride control cluster on center console with a little storage bin that goes there on non-air ride Toyota SUV's, so no warning lights. I never used the adjustable features of the air ride system either and do not notice any difference in ride or handling with the steel spring kit vs. the air ride system set on its defaults.
illumination

Post by illumination »

JackoC wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:57 am
illumination wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 am
Same issue with our 2005 GX470, also bought new. It wasn't literally the shock absorbers though, but a fault among the air bag springs, compressor, controller(s) etc. of the rear air ride suspension system. There are lots of elements and one or another start to fail on GX's after some years, a notorious exception to the model's general reputation for high reliability. Seems to be a worse problem in climates where the underside of the car is exposed to road salt. Assuming it's not just the shocks (there are separate shocks on the Lexus air ride system unlike other makers which use combined air spring/damper units), then it's quite expensive to replace the various items as they fail, or multiple elements on a preventative basis, especially by a dealer. But I paid IIRC $400-something for a steel spring/conventional shock kit for equivalent Toyota, then removed some fuses and replaced the air ride control cluster on center console with a little storage bin that goes there on non-air ride Toyota SUV's, so no warning lights. I never used the adjustable features of the air ride system either and do not notice any difference in ride or handling with the steel spring kit vs. the air ride system set on its defaults.
This is why on the new GX, I insisted on getting the model that had conventional steel springs and not the "air ride" model.

I had the same thing when the air springs went out on my previous GX, just an overly complex system for something you don't even really notice.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I had wanted a 4Runner for over 10 years, finally bought one a few years ago.

Gas mileage is bad, but it can tow my boat. Price was $36,400 OTD and to be honest I feel it could have a few more safety features for that price. I did get the base model but it was more than I wanted to spend, plus I like the looks of the SR5 better than the other models. Oh and it drives like a truck! This is fine most days, but long road trips, not so much!

Stuff does not make me happy, so I try not to buy too much stuff!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.