Formula One

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
xystici

Post by xystici »

Driver wrote:The rules were not clear.
From f1.com: Schumacher breached Article 40.13 of the Sporting Regulations, which states that “if the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking."
Alonso did what he was supposed to do.
He was not supposed to crashed his car on P3 on Saturday... :roll: What a mistake. It is kind of unusual for him to crash that way.
He seems more comfortable in Turkey. I wonder how much harder could have the Red Bulls pushed if they wanted to.
I think Webber and Vettel did not show us all their cards in Monaco. I believe they will conquer Turkey without difficulties, specially in Turkey where the track is quite demanding for many aspects of the car. I am still hoping that Ferrari will efficiently improve Alonso and Massa's cars during the next months, although Ferrari might run out of time soon if Webber and Vettel continue to place #1 and #2 consistently.
xystici

Post by xystici »

eucalyptus wrote:For me, Monaco is never boring. The in-car shots are amazing. IMO it's the greatest auto race in the world - but it needs to be a one-off, I wouldn't want another like it on the calendar.
Right on. In that respect, what do you think about Valencia and Singapore?
MTTrek

Post by MTTrek »

For the sake of the season I hope that Red Bull does not run away from the field. I want to see some action more like at the start of the season.

And as for Massa, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to come back from such an injury. For that point of view I think his achievements are not bad this year. Especially when he's the clear #2 on the team.

I am always amazed at the shots from the tunnel. First of all, you can really feel the speed there as a TV spectator and you see the blinding light at the exit and that gives you a little picture of what it's like for the drivers...just terrifying.
Topic Author
Driver

Post by Driver »

I agree. I hope to one day be able to go to the Monaco GP. Some of the shots of the cars with building just a few feet away are amazing.
xystici

Post by xystici »

Oh boy... Alonso not good in Q2... What happened? Why so many errors from him lately? Good to see Schumi in a solid 5th place for tomorrow...
xystici

Post by xystici »

It was worth it getting up at 2:00 am to watch the S. Korean GP...

Well done Alonso! WELL DONE!

Grande Alonso! Grande!
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

I shouldn't have looked at the thread. I recorded it for 3 hours and still missed the end--got to lap 39. It's airing again right now in the US.

From what I have seen of the race it seemed like a real bust for the spectators, with so much of the race being run behind a safety car. Sad that it was a somewhat dismal inaugural race for S. Korea. Still it's interesting that Alonso, the matador, slew the Red Bulls.

I really love the close competition this season. I certainly wouldn't bet against Alonso. I'm sure that Webber hated it that the SPEED reporter announced to the world that he was crying about his poor result and accident. Man up Mark. I was rooting for you--you're due.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

"Sad that it was a somewhat dismal inaugural race for S. Korea."

"Dismal" is a good word. Rain, red flag, many laps behind the pace car, multiple retirements, 20 mile traffic jam, mosquitoes and snakes.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Oh yea, I forgot about the snakes harassing the corner workers. I've worked races before (though not a GP) and as a corner worker, you like to think you have one of the best seats to watch the race--maybe not in this case.

After finally getting to watch the conclusion to the race, it is apparent that Alonso really drove an outstanding race in very bad conditions. Whitmarsh and Horner have really got to be scratching their heads.
xystici

Post by xystici »

Frugal Al wrote:I've worked races before (though not a GP) and as a corner worker
And I thought I was a car racing fan...
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

It was in my younger days and it was a cheap way to watch races--fond memories. I've gotten to Montreal and the Glen quite a few times. I was witness to the burning bus in "The Bog" that had been chartered by the Brazilian fans back in '74.
xystici

Post by xystici »

Who is going to watch live the last GP of the season in Abu Dhabi? I am... :P

Here is my prediction:

1. Hamilton
2. Webber
3. Vettel
4. Alonso

With F. Alonso as the 2010 Driver Champion... :P
xystici

Post by xystici »

xystici wrote:Who is going to watch live the last GP of the season in Abu Dhabi? I am... :P

Here is my prediction:

1. Hamilton
2. Webber
3. Vettel
4. Alonso

With F. Alonso as the 2010 Driver Champion... :P
Wow, I could not have been more wrong on my predictions. What an amazing GP of Abu Dhabi and overall 2010 F1 season. Congratulations to Red Bull and Vettel for an outstanding and amazing performance.

Hopefully next year Ferrari and Alonso will be on top.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Your right, a great race for Vettel. It was a great podium with the championship winners of the past two seasons on it as well. I also would have called it for Alonso to be world champion, but I didn't see your post in time.

It was certainly a beautiful venue for a great finale. That track is so pristine with the blue painted runoff areas, and with the surreal look of the LED bedecked surrounding architecture. It's like an architect's rendering rather than the real thing.

I think Shuey was quite lucky that his shunt wasn't worse. I'm kind of hoping he'll realize he has nothing left to prove in his career, and will hang up his helmet...for good.
s8r

Re:

Post by s8r »

TJAJ9 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:22 am I would just like to say that racing cars isn't a sport and race car drivers are not athletes. However, it does take skill and technique, in a similar way to bowling, playing pool or playing golf -- in which all three are not true sports, either.
eucalyptus wrote:The fitness level of an F1 driver exceeds that of say, a professional baseball player.
No way. That might be true for some of the designated hitters in baseball but the majority of MLB players are in much better physical shape than any F1 driver. They might not have the stamina of a soccer or basketball player, but don't be fooled. They train extremely hard and are very athletic. Those guys aren't getting paid 10, 20, 30+ million a year for nothing.
An old thread, but F1 driver fitness is something I always want to clarify to people who are misinformed. Shortly put, F1 drivers are fit and they are athletes.

There are many types of auto racing. Some of them require good fitness, some of them don't. But F1 is at the very top in this respect.

According to this Finnish article published in 2013, the personal trainers involved in F1 (such as Mark Arnall) have compared the fitness level of the drivers to that of professional boxers or NHL ice-hockey players:
https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/for ... at/3677472

Another Finnish article states that four-time F1 champion Sebastian Vettel has run 3,680 meters in the 12-minute Cooper test and 10,000 meters in 33 minutes and 49 seconds according to his 2008-2011 personal trainer & nutritionist Tommi Pärmäkoski:
https://www.is.fi/formula1/art-2000001124318.html

One-time F1 champion Jenson Button is an Ironman triathlon enthusiast. In this particular contest that he entered while still racing in 2014, he finished 11th out of 1,675 entrants:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formu ... pines.html

Five-time F1 champion Lewis Hamilton appears to be rather fit as well:

And so was seven-time F1 champion Michael Schumacher:
New Providence

Re: Formula One

Post by New Providence »

Bumping it to pick views on the 2021 season.

It looks great and hope that I can travel to at least one race. Anybody else?
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

New Providence wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:31 pm Bumping it to pick views on the 2021 season.

It looks great and hope that I can travel to at least one race. Anybody else?
Will be an interesting season for sure. Looks like RedBull will be a factor if they can work the bugs out. Expecting Perez to be a threat along with Max. Alphatauri has been a nice surprise. More teams are within a second of MB too. I hope to make it to COTA again. A race in EU or Asia next year.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

What in the world is going on with Seb?

I'd love to see Perez succeed at RB, hope he has a strong weekend.

As for Mazepin, it's time for Dad to step up and buy the team.
ChinchillaWhiplash

eucalyptus wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 pm What in the world is going on with Seb?

I'd love to see Perez succeed at RB, hope he has a strong weekend.

As for Mazepin, it's time for Dad to step up and buy the team.
Think the balance is off for Seb. Hope he gets it figured out soon. Haas needs all the help they can get. They already said they are not working on getting better this year. Focusing on the future. His NASCAR teams are struggling too.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

But the way, you probably already know this, Netflix has a F1 series.

It is very well-produced, like HBO's NFL Hard Knocks.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Been a fan since 2004, when our Spanish exchange student asked if my TV could get the race. He wanted to see a young Alonzo! I picked it up myself and have been to the Nurburgring (Webber win) and Montreal (Hamilton win) for live races, walked some of the track in Monoco and Singapore and been to Ferrari World in Abu Dabai. Been to a F1 press conference in Milan and got a nice picture of my wife and Nico Rosberg.
Started out being a Kimi fan, but wonder around following other drivers and teams during different years. Like it when an old guy makes the podium, or a young guy.

I gotta admit, I'm suffering a bit of Hamilton fatigue...He is a great driver to be sure, but I'm a little tired of how "oppressed" he feels the need to share with me. Hoping it's not another all Mercedes season that is finished by October!

If I hit the Lotto, I would like to attend 3_4 races in a row around April and May, bum around France and drive a few legs of the Tour de France and knock off a couple more tracks 1 by 1 for a couple years.

FYI- here is my "go to" blog for F1. Writer can be a bit crabby at times, opinionated other times, but has been to every race since the mid 80's and is dialed in with the circus. I particularly like his Green Notebook which comes out after each race where he discusses life on the F1 road.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

I feel really old. I was a fan when Juan Manuel Fangio was world champion. For my money, Jim Clark and Aryton Senna were the greatest drivers. Both died driving. Hemingway said big game hunting, bull fighting, and auto racing were sports - the rest are just games.

DMW
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Dead Man Walking wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:50 pm I feel really old. I was a fan when Juan Manuel Fangio was world champion. For my money, Jim Clark and Aryton Senna were the greatest drivers. Both died driving. Hemingway said big game hunting, bull fighting, and auto racing were sports - the rest are just games.

DMW
I am not a huge fan of F1 but Senna was tremendous. At one time Netflix had a documentary on Senna and it was very good.
Topic Author
Driver

Post by Driver »

I completely forgot about this thread! I hope it's an exciting race. I was surprised qualy was so close.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Anyone tried F1 TV Pro?
ChinchillaWhiplash

Wow! What a crazy race! No MBs on the podium today unless Lewis can perform a miracle.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Great race today! Had a little bit of everything. I may be fatigued by Lewis, but the racing stars shined on him today- and his talent provided the rest!
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Looks like a Miami GP has been finalized after many years of NIMBY. They want to build a track that will incorporate 3 sides of Hard Rock Stadium, where the Dolphins play. Initial timing would be June of 2022, probably pared back to back with Montreal.
Last edited by Capsu78 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Glad to hear about the Miami race, but I think it's a shame the old school US tracks can't be used as a practical matter - too small, too many expensive mods needed, not located near population centers, etc. I'm thinking tracks from Laguna Seca to Watkins Glen to Sebring. F1 has curbs smaller than the bumps at Sebring.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

eucalyptus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 pm Glad to hear about the Miami race, but I think it's a shame the old school US tracks can't be used as a practical matter - too small, too many expensive mods needed, not located near population centers, etc. I'm thinking tracks from Laguna Seca to Watkins Glen to Sebring. F1 has curbs smaller than the bumps at Sebring.

Several years ago it was rumored that street track race, a la Monaco, could come to NY on the NJ side. It would run around Hobroken, Jersey City to capture Manhattan in the background.

Of course, the financing requirements made it a non-starter.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

New Providence wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:18 pm
eucalyptus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 pm Glad to hear about the Miami race, but I think it's a shame the old school US tracks can't be used as a practical matter - too small, too many expensive mods needed, not located near population centers, etc. I'm thinking tracks from Laguna Seca to Watkins Glen to Sebring. F1 has curbs smaller than the bumps at Sebring.

Several years ago it was rumored that street track race, a la Monaco, could come to NY on the NJ side. It would run around Hobroken, Jersey City to capture Manhattan in the background.

Yes, I was looking forward to that one. Red Bull even set up a publicity event having Sebastion Vettel drive the proposed route. NYC skyline would have provided some fantastic photo ops. The one downside to the Miami event is that Hard Rock stadium is out in the swamp boonies.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Unfortunately those tracks are too long and dangerous (drivers and spectators) for the speeds F1 have grown into.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Capsu78 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:05 pm
New Providence wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:18 pm

Yes, I was looking forward to that one. Red Bull even set up a publicity event having Sebastion Vettel drive the proposed route. NYC skyline would have provided some fantastic photo ops. The one downside to the Miami event is that Hard Rock stadium is out in the swamp boonies.
Stateside we don't have enough hedgefund supporters. Goldman or some other financial services firm could be a great sponsor for a Wall St. race.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Agreed that the NYC Financial sector could have provided some nice sponsorship potentials...However looking into the future in a cloudy crystal ball, I think Wall St will move many operations down to South Florida. I don't see a quick return to business as usual in Manhatten. And a Miami race might just pull up some finance companies from South America, particlarly if Brazil doesn't come through with a viable race venue. I notice no Brazilian drivers on track this year for the first time in many years.

As for the Hard Rock Venue, the preliminary mock up seems to me that they organizers plan to open portions the stadium, at least for concessions, bathrooms etc. Turn on the Jumbotrons and it could be a pretty good place watch an almost live race.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/f1- ... uxbndlbing