U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
gmaynardkrebs

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by gmaynardkrebs »

Yesterdaysnews wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm Ouch! Tough day… but my gut tells me dip buyers will start jumping in soon.
looks to me like they were already jumping him towards the bell!
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:32 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:37 pm Worry not. US markets shaken but we have ex-US.
"Shaken. Not stirred."
--Bonds. James Bonds.
Shaken, not stirred makes for a weak martini.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

The end is nigh.

I had some trouble this morning selling off my TQQQ and UPRO positions at Schwab. No idea what's up with them. I took some profit. I didn't want to be in them given the volatility. I didn't touch anything else.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

nasdaq afterhours makin it back it seems

https://www.investing.com/indices/nq-100-futures
Don’t let anyone else ruin your portfolio. It’s your portfolio. Ruin it yourself!!!
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

I've not checked my PF value since last Thursday. Didn't want to see it after Friday, nor after today.

It's just easier that way, at least for me. :shock:
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Candor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:13 pm
count damoney wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:59 pm
Candor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:42 pm A certain Tom Petty song is right on the tip of my tongue but I just can't quite recall it. :D
Even The Losers??
Good choice but that's not the one.
Free Fallin' ??
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

I need another ALL IN move !
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Bluce wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:11 pm I've not checked my PF value since last Thursday. Didn't want to see it after Friday, nor after today.

My portfolio tracker automatically creates a daily drawdown % (from all time high) that is averaged over the last week of trading, it keeps things in perspective :sharebeer

I started this just before the pandemic began almost by accident.

Bluce

Post by Bluce »

retiringwhen wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:21 pm
Bluce wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:11 pm I've not checked my PF value since last Thursday. Didn't want to see it after Friday, nor after today.

My portfolio tracker automatically creates a daily drawdown % (from all time high) that is averaged over the last week of trading, it keeps things in perspective :sharebeer

I started this just before the pandemic began almost by accident.

Heh, cool idea. What software is that?

I didn't check mine last spring for over a month during the worst part. In 2008 I don't think I checked it at all, maybe early in the year, and probably didn't again until it started recovering well into 2009.
fanmail

Post by fanmail »

S&P 500
just over 2% drop was the low intraday
about 1% above that low now in the futures market
still about 2.5% off the all time highs from last week
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Bluce wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:36 pm Heh, cool idea. What software is that?
home brew, all done in google sheets with data collection scripts written in gscript (thanks for Kevin M for great samples!) and then tons of formulas and charts. It tracks everything including my retirement date! :twisted:
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

retiringwhen wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:42 pm
home brew, all done in google sheets with data collection scripts written in gscript (thanks for Kevin M for great samples!) and then tons of formulas and charts. It tracks everything including my retirement date! :twisted:
Thoughts about having drawdown go above 100%?
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

fortfun wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:50 pm
Thoughts about having drawdown go above 100%?
By definition impossible. A drawdown is the percentage that the current balance is down from the all-time high in the past. If if a new high is achieved, all future balances are measured from that date. We don't re-write the past (I am not Marty McFly :D )
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

Ha, thanks, way over my head. :(
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed several posts discussing the coronavirus. Yesterday's drop was explained by the coronavirus, but the posts went beyond that. As a reminder, see: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 am Yesterday's drop was explained by the coronavirus,
Maybe. That’s what the talking heads are claiming and I guess it makes some sense but why now?

Folks claim the market is always right but geez…we’ve known about delta for a while. If this is really why the market dropped then from a broad sense the lag is exploitable to some degree.

Interesting though…like last year we had both pandemic fear and oil weirdness at the same time.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Ye olde Dead cat bounce incoming.

Speaking of the headlines du jour, it occurs to me that dead cat bounce is never the headline. I don't see why that should be off limits. Maybe they just use a code. Like "Stocks recover slightly as selling pressure eased" might get used and maybe that could be the secret code.

I think writing that daily stock market headline is the easiest job in the world, but it would require someone with no sense of humor.
This time is the same
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

nigel_ht wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:10 am
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 am Yesterday's drop was explained by the coronavirus,
Maybe. That’s what the talking heads are claiming and I guess it makes some sense but why now?
Yeah. I'm often amused by the "Stocks fell sharply today on news of [foo]" taglines. Usually foo is kinda plausible, but that doesn't mean stocks actually fell because of foo. Just a headline writer's need to encapsulate the change in a pithy way.
Last edited by Da5id on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Folks claim the market is always right but geez…we’ve known about delta for a while. If this is really why the market dropped then from a broad sense the lag is exploitable to some degree.

Interesting though…like last year we had both pandemic fear and oil weirdness at the same time.
Because on Monday there was a mask mandate in LA county, the largest county in the United States with 10 million people, and on Friday there wasn't a mask mandate.

Yes, it's pithy, and not 100% accurate. Most people knew it was coming. The market is definitely forward-looking.

But it does make sense this one time that people would start to wonder if this was real again when LA county imposed a mask mandate.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

firebirdparts wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:16 am Ye olde Dead cat bounce incoming.

Speaking of the headlines du jour, it occurs to me that dead cat bounce is never the headline.
During the unexpected massive recovery last year I remember dead cat headlines…

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones ... at-bounce/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/exami ... 2020-03-29

https://fortune.com/2020/05/16/coronavi ... at-bounce/

Did I misunderstand your comment? Because last year you couldn’t swing a dead cat without it hitting a dead cat bouncing headline…

What’s with dead cat sayings? (Yes, I’m aware the swinging one is a cat o’nine tails)
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

HomerJ wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:45 am

Because on Monday there was a mask mandate in LA county, the largest county in the United States with 10 million people, and on Friday there wasn't a mask mandate.

Yes, it's pithy, and not 100% accurate. Most people knew it was coming. The market is definitely forward-looking.

But it does make sense this one time that people would start to wonder if this was real again when LA county imposed a mask mandate.
Well, you could predict the LA mask mandate (or other significant trigger like NYC or whatever) happening by looking at the rate of new infections…that should be exploitable from an investment perspective right?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

nigel_ht wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:50 am
HomerJ wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:45 am

Well, you could predict the LA mask mandate (or other significant trigger like NYC or whatever) happening by looking at the rate of new infections…that should be exploitable from an investment perspective right?
I'm just saying this time there IS a pretty easy explanation (even though it might be wrong)

You said "Hey everyone already knew about delta why Monday for crash?"

I'm just telling you what happened over the weekend (LA mask mandate), and that's probably (partially) what caused it to happen on Monday and not last Friday.

I don't think it's exploitable, because humans are fickle.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

The set of things that everybody knows will happen is much, much bigger than the set of things that actually happen. Thus market reaction when things actually happen.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Tamalak wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:09 am The set of things that everybody knows will happen is much, much bigger than the set of things that actually happen. Thus market reaction when things actually happen.
Last year it waited a couple months until after it happening to react...
OohLaLa

Post by OohLaLa »

How about we all just take a deep breath... and step away from the market-timing button, alright? That's it... just put the clicker down and walk slowly away from it. Nobody needs to be a hero, here. We can all just go home and this will all be over by end-of-market. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

OohLaLa wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:45 am How about we all just take a deep breath... and step away from the market-timing button, alright? That's it... just put the clicker down and walk slowly away from it. Nobody needs to be a hero, here. We can all just go home and this will all be over by end-of-market. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lostdog is our hero. He just needs to step up and work out. All this is because he's at home on the couch eating bon-bons and only telling us he's working out.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

nigel_ht wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:10 am Folks claim the market is always right but geez…we’ve known about delta for a while. If this is really why the market dropped then from a broad sense the lag is exploitable to some degree.

It's hard to comment on this topic but some reports questioning the efficacy of vaccine on the variant suddenly caught attention.

I'm actually curious why the markets are rebounding today as if nothing happened.
ksualum

Post by ksualum »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:49 am
nigel_ht wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:10 am Folks claim the market is always right but geez…we’ve known about delta for a while. If this is really why the market dropped then from a broad sense the lag is exploitable to some degree.

It's hard to comment on this topic but some reports questioning the efficacy of vaccine on the variant suddenly caught attention.

I'm actually curious why the markets are rebounding today as if nothing happened.
Easiest explanation is that stocks were oversold on an RSI basis. But I don't think anyone really knows . . . dip buyers? stock market climbing a wall of fear? These are all just assumptions. And you know what they say about assuming . . . :wink:
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

One logical explanation is that yesterday's drop had absolutely nothing to do with the coronavirus.
Candor

Post by Candor »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 pm
Candor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:42 pm A certain Tom Petty song is right on the tip of my tongue but I just can't quite recall it. :D
Even The Losers??
Free Fallin' ??
That's the one. :thumbsup
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
csan

Post by csan »

Whakamole wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:04 am

One logical explanation is that yesterday's drop had absolutely nothing to do with the coronavirus.
Causation in financial headlines is comical at best
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Yesterdaysnews wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm Ouch! Tough day… but my gut tells me dip buyers will start jumping in soon.
One day later...

"Dip Buyers Fuel Stock Rebound, Led by Cyclicals" link

Good work, gut! Keep taking those probiotics!
Aaand...it'sgone

Post by Aaand...it'sgone »

Darn it, I should have known the dip would evaporate before payday.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

It isn't called a random walk in the park for nothing.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

well, profit taking followed by the immediate realization that there is way too much easy money in this system for things to go down, the party is still on...
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

So... is today a DCB (Dead Cat Bounce), or was yesterday just a run-of-the-mill RBD (Really Bad Day)?

The suspense is killing me :mrgreen:
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

pasadena wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:13 am So... is today a DCB (Dead Cat Bounce), or was yesterday just a run-of-the-mill RBD (Really Bad Day)?

It was at most a bad day, to be a true RBD(tm), the drop needs to be greater than 2.5% and DCB's are kind hard when you are within 5% of an all-time high. Let's call this a Bank Shot (BS) that missed trying to level up on the pinball machine :-)
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

retiringwhen wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:23 am
pasadena wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:13 am So... is today a DCB (Dead Cat Bounce), or was yesterday just a run-of-the-mill RBD (Really Bad Day)?

It was at most a bad day, to be a true RBD(tm), the drop needs to be greater than 2.5% and DCB's are kind hard when you are within 5% of an all-time high. Let's call this a Bank Shot (BS) that missed trying to level up on the pinball machine :-)
Ah I keep forgetting the exact definition of a RBDTM. Same Player Try Again!
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Candor wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:09 am
OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 pm
Even The Losers??
Free Fallin' ??
That's the one. :thumbsup
:D
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

Aaand...it'sgone wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:38 am Darn it, I should have known the dip would evaporate before payday.
What did I tell you? But I will say it again- lots of week left!
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

it's free falling!! ah sorry, my screen was upside down... :D switching to the soaring thread...
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

nigel_ht wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 am

Speaking of the headlines du jour, it occurs to me that dead cat bounce is never the headline.

Did I misunderstand your comment? Because last year you couldn’t swing a dead cat without it hitting a dead cat bouncing headline…

What’s with dead cat sayings? (Yes, I’m aware the swinging one is a cat o’nine tails)
The first time I heard that phrase was early in the pandemic. It definitely was a popular phrase after we started recovering from the depths of March.
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

Whakamole wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:04 am One logical explanation is that yesterday's drop had absolutely nothing to do with the coronavirus.
I came up with this some years ago to explain sudden, wide market swings. It may not be right but it satisfies my curiosity:

Buyers and sellers are like fish in a school: They all swim in the same direction and may suddenly change, but they don't know why. They just follow the fish in front of them.

Back in the old days when I checked funds prices in the paper, if it was a big down day I would notice that the vast majority of funds would be down. Same for a big up day -- 90% or so would be up.

Go figure. :sharebeer
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Brownian motion with a slight upward bias.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

ApeAttack wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:07 pm
nigel_ht wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 am

The first time I heard that phrase was early in the pandemic. It definitely was a popular phrase after we started recovering from the depths of March.
I remember it being very popular during the Great Recession as well. Here is one example, dated March 16, 2009, talking about Nouriel Roubini's assurances that we were going through a dead cat bounce at the time: viewtopic.php?t=34600

Oops!
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

mrspock wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:13 pm I see days like this and I can only remember how naive I was in my younger investing years. These days I just laugh. Cue the 400 pt day in a few days to a week, followed by some noise to get back to even a couple weeks after that and new ATHs again after.

Stop reading this thread and go water some plants.
I rest my case. +550 today, probably some noise in the next week. Mr. Market…. so very sad how predictable you are.
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

mrspock wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:42 pm
mrspock wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:13 pm I see days like this and I can only remember how naive I was in my younger investing years. These days I just laugh. Cue the 400 pt day in a few days to a week, followed by some noise to get back to even a couple weeks after that and new ATHs again after.

Stop reading this thread and go water some plants.
I rest my case. +550 today, probably some noise in the next week. Mr. Market…. so very sad how predictable you are.
Yep, I’m back to where I was a week or two ago. 😎
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

mrspock wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:42 pm Stop reading this thread and go water some plants.
But it rained today, I have no plants to water.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

this thread ("Dying Broke (On Purpose) Article") popping up with the freefall thread. So folks.... if we know the ending (e.g. dying broke), don't get too excited for a few percentages drop. It'll all be gone when we die.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=326938&start=150
Time is the ultimate currency.
MichaelAZ

Post by MichaelAZ »

Bluce wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:07 pm
MichaelAZ wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:07 pm
mtmingus wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:43 pm
Cautionary Tale wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:40 pm Alright. ..those of you who lump summed on Friday, we want to hear your story. (So we can feel better about ourselves).
I did buy some (not lump sum) on Friday last week. Now you feel better.
After maxing retirement accounts past 4 years, finally got to the point where I was ready to start a taxable brokerage with excess cash (had been watching the cash build and build and finally had the courage to do something with it; got a $20K inheritance last month). Started that account w/ $25K last Tuesday. 62% Total US Stock VTI, 15% Total Int VXUS, and 23% Total Bond BND. Down 2.2% overall on my $25K investment. I sold $500 of BND today and bought VTI and VXUS just to make myself feel better (BND now at 20% of taxable brokerage). :P Taxable brokerage only represents 2.7% of my overall net worth, but "feels" different because it's not "locked" away in retirement accounts (I'm late 30s). I have no temptation to sell stock. The temptation is to sell even more BND and buy VTI. I will resist and stay the course.
Do the holdings in your new account, lumped in with your tax-deferred accounts, meet your selected overall asset allocation?
Yes, they do.