U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by 000 »

Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

000 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:54 pm The Tech Bubble Then and Now
It's so frustrating when relevant observations devolve into the set up for a sales pitch. It makes you want to disregard the whole thing. You can pretty much stop reading after the sixth paragraph, if the title intrigues you. In the end, it's inflation fear mongering to push commodities.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
OohLaLa

Post by OohLaLa »

Beensabu wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:42 pm
It's so frustrating when relevant observations devolve into the set up for a sales pitch. It makes you want to disregard the whole thing. You can pretty much stop reading after the sixth paragraph, if the title intrigues you. In the end, it's inflation fear mongering to push commodities.
Wow, you got all the way to the 6th paragraph?! You're patient. :wink:

When this is the quality of commentary and reasoning, run away, don't walk:
[...]
Today, it is popular to invest in what is popular regardless of valuation. Psychologists say that people seek conformity in order to be liked and comforted. It seems that investors perceive safety in crowds. Such an investment strategy is fraught with downside risk at high valuations after non-repeatable economic growth inflection points.

Jeff Bezos, the wealthiest person in the world today, just retired as CEO of Amazon last month. Like Bill Gates, his timing should prove prescient.
[...]
:oops:
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

How disappointing. By the time you’re done reading this garbage you could have contributed a few K more to VTSAX at a discount. Time=wasted.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Never look up on this article’s.I usually just looking at the last paragraphs and it tells all . Sales pitch Garbage. Good luck with reading and overanalysing. See ya at S&P 5000. ;) LBill is it you?
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

OohLaLa wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:04 am
Beensabu wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:42 pm
Wow, you got all the way to the 6th paragraph?! You're patient. :wink:
Oh, I read the whole thing. So nobody else has to. LOL.
TheDDC wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:32 am How disappointing. By the time you’re done reading this garbage you could have contributed a few K more to VTSAX at a discount. Time=wasted.
Actually, reading it is a good way to figure out how to identify a sales pitch, if you don't already know how to do that.

1. click-bait hook
2. brief overview of hook
3. transition introducing fear unrelated to hook
4. further exploration of fear
5. keyword of "thing being sold" as solution to fear
6. long, drawn-out, repetitive, and incredibly boring sales pitch

If you figure out how to identify that #1-5 just happened, you can avoid the rest.

If you figure out how to identify that #3 just happened, you can save more time.

If you never click on #1, you win. I'm a clicker. I like reading things, determining the writer's purpose, and judging how well they executed it. This one was pretty clumsy. That's what makes it good for learning how to identify these.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

ECB starting to taper but they don't want to call it so: https://www.reuters.com/business/financ ... 021-09-08/
namajones

Post by namajones »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:53 pm ECB starting to taper but they don't want to call it so: https://www.reuters.com/business/financ ... 021-09-08/
Tapering around the world will be to the stock market like a slow leak is to a tire.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

I guess my prediction was correct 😄
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

So we're down less than 1% in 4 days and people think we're starting a free fall?

Look at the last year. There have been several downward blips. No one has any idea what's going to happen, but my money is on more all time highs before any corrections.

Post by 000 »

Anyone thinking of selling?
Triple digit golfer

000 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:44 pm Anyone thinking of selling?
I'm sure many people are thinking of selling. These people have no business investing.
morsk

Post by morsk »

Yeah, Kaplan and Rosengren are HAHAHAHA
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Back to the red
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

newyorker wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:42 am Back to the red
Stay the course. Red days are actually good for the DCA camp.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

morsk wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:12 pm
Yeah, Kaplan and Rosengren are HAHAHAHA
Every time I look away and glance back at this, I burst into giggles.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

pasadena wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:22 am So today is a red day... I keep reminding myself that it's a GOOD thing because I have my biggest contribution of the year coming soon...

Guess it's a "don't look" day!
...Aaaaaand I'm down for the month. Have a good week-end everyone! :sharebeer
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Hold tight guys
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Not looking good
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Im getting ready to back up the truck. Just changed the oil. Fueling it now and rotating the tires.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Why down? I thought inflation coming in under expectations would be good news and keep the Feds from tapering.
We plan. G-d laughs.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

newyorker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:08 pm Not looking good
Have faith. The market will recover and be at ATH by Friday when my 401K hits.
We plan. G-d laughs.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

MishkaWorries wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm
Mine goes in on Friday too so yeah likely to be another ATH :oops:
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Buddy, as I mentioned this is actually good for the DCA camp. If you had lump summed, there's no option to buy cheaper.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Days like this is where I'm glad I have some LTT exposure in my portfolio, so it's not all red.
Visitor76

Post by Visitor76 »

jarjarM wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:26 pm
MishkaWorries wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm
Mine goes in on Friday too so yeah likely to be another ATH :oops:
Good thing my Contribution Day was this past Friday :sharebeer

Cheer up, if history is any indication for market performance in September/October then you should have future opportunities to DCA.
Wealth is not about having a lot of money; it's about having a lot of options.
Visitor76

Post by Visitor76 »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:54 pm So we're down less than 1% in 4 days and people think we're starting a free fall?

Look at the last year. There have been several downward blips. No one has any idea what's going to happen, but my money is on more all time highs before any corrections.
It's the newbie investors that hit the panic button whenever there is a red day on Wall Street.
Wealth is not about having a lot of money; it's about having a lot of options.
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

start buying some calls on SPY
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

jarjarM wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 pm Days like this is where I'm glad I have some LTT exposure in my portfolio, so it's not all red.
You don't need long-term bonds to keep from being all red. I hold intermediate-term treasuries and intermediate-term corporates, and both are green today.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Can anyone explain whats causing this drop. [Expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] I just bought 300k car and wonder if i should cancel and wait for price to drop.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:50 pm
jarjarM wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 pm Days like this is where I'm glad I have some LTT exposure in my portfolio, so it's not all red.
You don't need long-term bonds to keep from being all red. I hold intermediate-term treasuries and intermediate-term corporates, and both are green today.
BND is up too. KISS!
chazas

Post by chazas »

newyorker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 pm I just bought 300k car
:shock:
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

newyorker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 pm Can anyone explain whats causing this drop. [Expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] I just bought 300k car and wonder if i should cancel and wait for price to drop.
I mean, if you can afford a $300k car, you shouldn't be freaking out on a < 1% drop.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

newyorker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 pm Can anyone explain whats causing this drop. [Expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] I just bought 300k car and wonder if i should cancel and wait for price to drop.
Are you trolling us now, or do you seriously not read any of the replies you've gotten every other time you ask this question?

No one can easily explain what causes most drops (or rises). There are thousands of changing variables and millions of human beings trading all day long.

The market goes up and down, but in general up.

That's because it's not a closed system. Billions of humans input their work into the system every day, and resources are brought into the system, and it slowly becomes more valuable over time.

But why it went down 0.2% in the last 30 minutes? There's no easy answer. Quit looking for an answer. It doesn't exist, and it doesn't matter.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Didn't you buy a 200K car like 6 months ago? What's happening over there?
drk

Post by drk »

newyorker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 pm Can anyone explain whats causing this drop.
Sure, lots of people can, but just as many are wrong. The market's behavior is a big emergent phenomenon that's impossible (for any human) to fully explain.
newyorker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 pm I just bought 300k car and wonder if i should cancel and wait for price to drop.
I would suggest that you should hold off on expensive consumer goods if you're so hard-up that a barely-perceptible decline makes you freak out.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
Candor

Post by Candor »

You don't seem to have much of a temperament for stocks. Maybe you should go for a more tangible asset like a Bugatti.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Cancel, cancel, cancel.
Triple digit golfer

"The market" is thousands of companies, each with their own set of books, earnings, news, innovation, technology, product lines, etc.

There are millions of people making purchases, selling, trading, etc. on any given day. These people impact "the market."

"The market" doesn't go up or down by itself. "The market" goes up or down based on the weighted average of the movements of its components.

Asking why "the market" went up or down is asking why each of thousands of companies trended the way that they did.
nzahir

Post by nzahir »

pasadena wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm
newyorker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 pm Can anyone explain whats causing this drop. God damnit. I just bought 300k car and wonder if i should cancel and wait for price to drop.
I mean, if you can afford a $300k car, you shouldn't be freaking out on a < 1% drop.
I have a family member who panics on 1% moves when he has over 1M, some people are ridiculous and don't understand what historical averages are
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:29 pm
Cancel, cancel, cancel.
Absolutely not! Find a $400,000 car you like and trade your current car in.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Now i feel like a troll. Ill cancel and buy more voo. Im just crazy into cars.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:42 pm "The market" is thousands of companies, each with their own set of books, earnings, news, innovation, technology, product lines, etc.

There are millions of people making purchases, selling, trading, etc. on any given day. These people impact "the market."

"The market" doesn't go up or down by itself. "The market" goes up or down based on the weighted average of the movements of its components.

Asking why "the market" went up or down is asking why each of thousands of companies trended the way that they did.
Nice summary!
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

MishkaWorries wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:17 pm Why down? I thought inflation coming in under expectations would be good news and keep the Feds from tapering.
Hard to say why. Market has been hovering around all time highs, pretty normal for markets to correct a bit. Sometimes it seems that the bigger players decide they want a correction and start selling and taking some gains off the top. Inflation news looked encouraging but sometimes for whatever bizarre reasons, markets will sell off on good news. Maybe the institutions independently all decided to rebalance their portfolios today, sort of like everyone in Hong Kong flushing their toilets simultaneously, could be interesting with all those high rise buildings. :wink: So I would not read too much into one day's market action. Just noise.

Another encouraging sign. Unless we are in a serious bear market, this thread seems like a good contrary indicator. When this thread pops up, a rally isn't too far away. Somehow, I doubt Cliff Asness uses this and the "Soar" thread as market indicators.
A fool and his money are good for business.
jdamo

Post by jdamo »

Could it be an early sell off like occurs typically in October every year? (folks say...)
Get ready to buy/do a rebalance if it's a substantial correction!
No one knows nothin'!
Just stay invested w proper asset allocation!
Cheers!

Post by 000 »

newyorker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 pm Can anyone explain whats causing this drop.
Dancers drifting towards the exit but still hoping for another song or two before the bears gnaw through their leashes.

Post by 000 »

Well so far I'm glad I derisked a bit on Friday but I'm skeptical that this is The End. Still too many publicly unabashed bears and too much worry for this to be the last stand of the bulls before slaughter.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

000 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:43 pm
Dancers drifting towards the exit but still hoping for another song or two before the bears gnaw through their leashes.
People have been saying something along those lines during every little, and not so little, dip for the last decade.

Eventually, they will be right, and then claim what a genius they are for having predicted it.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Post by 000 »

marcopolo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:52 pm People have been saying something along those lines during every little, and not so little, dip for the last decade.

Eventually, they will be right, and then claim what a genius they are for having predicted it.
I guess I'll be on MSNBC soon then. :sharebeer
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

000 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:44 pm Well so far I'm glad I derisked a bit on Friday but I'm skeptical that this is The End. Still too many publicly unabashed bears and too much worry for this to be the last stand of the bulls before slaughter.
Are you sure? I remember there were still a lot of bears at previous market tops.
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)