U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
JoinTheLocalizer

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by JoinTheLocalizer »

alfaspider wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:18 am
newyorker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:16 am Future looks pretty bad already
You can see the future? My crystal ball is still in the shop.
My guess is that he meant "futures", but considering what may become of the repo market as taper/rate hikes/tightening transpires, I'd go with either look bad.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

JoinTheLocalizer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:19 am
My guess is that he meant "futures", but considering what may become of the repo market as taper/rate hikes/tightening transpires, I'd go with either look bad.
I suppose. As Yogi Berra famously said: Predictions are hard, especially about the future.
Visitor76

Post by Visitor76 »

Well, good news is today is Contribution Day.
Wealth is not about having a lot of money; it's about having a lot of options.
JoinTheLocalizer

alfaspider wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:26 am
I suppose. As Yogi Berra famously said: Predictions are hard, especially about the future.
Honestly, I don't know how the Fed controls a repo market spike like it did in 2019. They have to admit to abandoning their tightening policy, exposing the shell game a bit. What happens to inflation then? Do we get a "crash up" in the market ie 5% market gains but 10% inflation?

They'd have to try to control it because mortgage and car loans would go to 8-10% instantly.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

JoinTheLocalizer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:44 am
Honestly, I don't know how the Fed controls a repo market spike like it did in 2019. They have to admit to abandoning their tightening policy, exposing the shell game a bit. What happens to inflation then? Do we get a "crash up" in the market ie 5% market gains but 10% inflation?

They'd have to try to control it because mortgage and car loans would go to 8-10% instantly.

Perhaps. One bright spot for me is that my oil company RSU that vest in March are going gangbusters.
JoinTheLocalizer

alfaspider wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:48 am

Perhaps. One bright spot for me is that my oil company RSU that vest in March are going gangbusters.
I've been loving natty gas and uranium lately, especially since European officials are labeling them as part of the ESG movement, punting on the lack of availability in "true" renewable resources. But yes oil is ALWAYS a good play, especially when it went negative and folks thought the end was nigh for it.
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

This is a little cherry picked, but when I see this thread pop up on days the market goes down, I think about the forecasts over the last several years of low single-digit stock returns over a 10 year period. For instance, in 2019 Vanguard forecasted U.S. equities would return in the 3 - 5% range. (See https://pressroom.vanguard.com/news/Pre ... 20618.html). Since then, the S&P 500 is up about 84%. When I have seen those low return forecasts I have said to myself "OK, I can live with that." But that means that I can probably also live with a pretty substantial haircut to current stock prices. So I remain calm and focused on the long term.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

JoinTheLocalizer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:51 am

I've been loving natty gas and uranium lately, especially since European officials are labeling them as part of the ESG movement, punting on the lack of availability in "true" renewable resources. But yes oil is ALWAYS a good play, especially when it went negative and folks thought the end was nigh for it.
Germany is closing its nuclear power plants.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodi ... 022-01-01/
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Phyneas

Post by Phyneas »

lostdog wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:09 am Shaking out the weak hands for awhile.
VTI is the same price it was at the end of August 2021, VXUS is the same price it was in February 2021. The stagnation has been going on for a while, it's just been masked with volatility and rotation. And it could go on for a while longer still. I read a post on here where someone mentioned there are three ways to make money in the markets (other than fees): dividends, capital appreciation, and volatility capture. I suspect we're in the third zone right now.
60% AVGE | 20 Year TIPS LMP | 5% Cash
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I think my taxable account is lower than it was in June 2021 now. Partly due to my tilt towards growth through holding a few of the FAANGs and some ARKK. Amazon has not moved in over a year (almost trading like a bond fund) and Facebook has been pretty stagnant as well since early 2021
JoinTheLocalizer

TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:09 am
JoinTheLocalizer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:51 am

Germany is closing its nuclear power plants.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodi ... 022-01-01/
All the more reason. I know it sounds counterintuitive but thinking long term...

France always seems to pick up the slack in this area anyway.
staustin

Post by staustin »

It's a real and valid concern. Fed was able to easily resume round 4 QE last time with no inflation and many popular economists continuing to say more we would not lead to inflation (Krugmans liquidity trap tweets). Not the case this time. We shall see. The process is about to begin.
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

Wow, the conversations in this thread has changed a lot since the past few weeks. Earlier, every couple pages, someone will come in and drop the equivalent of "stay the course" mantra. Since the beginning of the rout in the new year, those kind of posts are few and far between!

So here - I will do my boglehead duties. Markets will move up, down and sideways. It is important to stay invested for the longer term with the level of risk you are comfortable with, and then stay the course. While the discussions in this thread can be fun, and at times distressing, don't get distracted and stick to your plan.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Being diversified with world market cap and some bonds I think I'm only down around 3% from ATH. :beer
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

lostdog wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:45 am Being diversified with world market cap and some bonds I think I'm only down around 3% from ATH. :beer
I am nearly replicating VT with various ETFs. 20% bonds, 27% of equities in international (split 75/25 in developed and emerging), rest in domestic (split 5/61/14/20 between REITs, S&P 500, Extended and SCV). The major deviation I have from mimicing VT for the equitiy portion of my portfolio ofcourse are SCV & REITs. The existance of 401K and HSA in my portfolio makes it difficult to hold a single fund like VT, and early in my bogleheaded-ness journey I was influenced a lot of sector and size tilts (REIT and SCV) so they continue to form a small percentage of my portfolio.
Last edited by fetch5482 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

University of Michigan 5-10 year inflation expectations rise to 3.1%. See graph in Twitter link
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

lostdog wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:45 am Being diversified with world market cap and some bonds I think I'm only down around 3% from ATH. :beer
I'm only down 1.8% but that's because I hold the asset everyone loves to hate: nominal bonds.
JoinTheLocalizer

gas_balloon wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:33 am Wow, the conversations in this thread has changed a lot since the past few weeks. Earlier, every couple pages, someone will come in and drop the equivalent of "stay the course" mantra. Since the beginning of the rout in the new year, those kind of posts are few and far between!

So here - I will do my boglehead duties. Markets will move up, down and sideways. It is important to stay invested for the longer term with the level of risk you are comfortable with, and then stay the course. While the discussions in this thread can be fun, and at times distressing, don't get distracted and stick to your plan.
I will feel this way (the Boglehead way) more as a fiscal equilibrium is established on a systemic level. Meaning, the problems that caused 2008 are actually addressed as opposed to being swept under the rug. That may mean credit markets majorly contract. I don't see any other way to be honest.

Society expands and optimizes throughout history and that dynamic is captured in the market through "gains". I fear that the gains more recently do not reflect that dynamic, but rather extreme misallocation into markets that resemble zero-sum games, fueled by social media and the networking effect (ie WallStreetBets, "experts" tweeting stock tips, etc). I think it's being intellectually dishonest to believe otherwise.

Consider this: as your early 2000s self, fresh from the dot bomb era, still licking wounds from the Nasdaq imploding: would you consider the refueling of debt markets to nosebleed levels on unprofitable companies, companies like DASH that couldn't make a profit even during a pandemic when nearly everyone ordered food to go, a reasonable plan for healthy long term growth?
Last edited by JoinTheLocalizer on Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

I have actually been experimenting with ignoring the market completely, and just monitoring the transactions page in my account just to make sure I haven't been robbed by hackers. Yesterday I didn't look at the market at all (nor did I look at this forum) and it was a day of serenity.

My desired vibe is Brian Eno's 1/1.
drk

Post by drk »

atdharris wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:21 am Amazon has not moved in over a year (almost trading like a bond fund)
It shot off the bottom after the National Retail Federation reported record holiday sales. Maybe earnings surprises will be back in stock with free Prime delivery.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Quite a recovery this afternoon. We may need to close the day in the other thread. On the other hand that BND… 😬
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

Vtsax100 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:30 pm Quite a recovery this afternoon. We may need to close the day in the other thread. On the other hand that BND… 😬
Was perfect. I max out my 401K today - all going to Total U.S. Bonds! We are basically back to Aug 2010 prices for BND :-D
I did miss out on my limit order for VTI ($232.27) in my HSA account though by a few cents off the lows today. My VNQ (U.S. REIT) limit orders in Roth IRA did execute. VEA (Developed International Markets) orders are still off by a couple dollars, so it will take some time to execute.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:09 pm
rockstar wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:50 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:43 pm
rockstar wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:02 pm It's the run off of the balance sheet. How high does the 10 year go?
I'm not sure, but it feels strange that the Fed influences the yields so much. It almost feels as if they're the only one trading bonds.
They buy a lot. In the interview, the Fed guy had no idea how much impact the run-off would have on rates. That's not really reassuring.
If I am going to worry about anything it is workforce participation. At least at the moment I personally don't have a lot of concern around the 10 year.
Not really worried. People get old and retire. This is normal.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:06 pm
rockstar wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:50 pm We're doomed.

A Fed Governor just said on Bloomberg that we can see up to 5 rate increases this year. I might have to move into triple levered cash.
Bondholders may have another really bad year.
Pretty likely unless you're buying t-bills and rolling over. You'll still lose against inflation, but you won't lose principal.
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:55 am I'm only down 1.8% but that's because I hold the asset everyone loves to hate: nominal bonds.
I'm down about 8% since November. :(

Most of that is due to my holdings in tech and crypto. :(
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

My spaceship 🚀 filled up with additional shares today and blasted off.🤣

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Did I read correctly that Total International is positive year to date and US is negative?

Best.
Tony
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 pm Did I read correctly that Total International is positive year to date and US is negative?
VTIAX YTD +0.55%🚀
VTSAX YTD -3.31%
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

mattshwink wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 pm
abuss368 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 pm Did I read correctly that Total International is positive year to date and US is negative?
VTIAX YTD +0.55%🚀
VTSAX YTD -3.31%
VEMAX ytd +1.70%
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

VTIAX YTD +0.55%🚀
VTSAX YTD -3.31%
Wow! Approximately 4% difference.

Will it keep up and grow from there is the question?

Tony
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

VTIAX YTD +0.55%🚀
VTSAX YTD -3.31%
Where are you getting these numbers? Vanguard's 1/14/2021 numbers for the ETF shares are:

VXUS YTD +0.77%
VTI YTD -2.72%
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 pm
VTIAX YTD +0.55%🚀
VTSAX YTD -3.31%
Where are you getting these numbers? Vanguard's 1/14/2021 numbers for the ETF shares are:

VXUS YTD +0.77%
VTI YTD -2.72%
Google
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 pm
VTIAX YTD +0.55%🚀
VTSAX YTD -3.31%

VXUS YTD +0.77%
VTI YTD -2.72%
I agree that those numbers are screwy.

VTIAX is up from $34.20 to $34.45 YTD, or +0.73%.

VTSAX is down from $117.56 to $114.39 YTD, or -2.70%.

All numbers from 12/31/21 to 1/14/22.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
TheoLeo

Post by TheoLeo »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:02 am I have actually been experimenting with ignoring the market completely, and just monitoring the transactions page in my account just to make sure I haven't been robbed by hackers. Yesterday I didn't look at the market at all (nor did I look at this forum) and it was a day of serenity.

Just wanted to reach out and say I did the same this week. From monday to thursday. Then I had a nights out with friends and alcohol. They were talking about cryptos and stocks and so I relapsed. I blame the alcohol. I think its the ultimate strategy. Just don´t look at the markets, your accounts and financial news. Investing can be very stress free this way.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

My first 401(k) contribution of the year will be invested on Tuesday. Trying to remember that I'm frontloading, so a little free fall isn't so bad (as long as it doesn't last all year)
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 pm
Did I read correctly that Total International is positive year to date and US is negative?

Best.
Tony
"Year to date": two weeks.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Tom_T wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:44 am
abuss368 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 pm

Best.
Tony
"Year to date": two weeks.
And here I was giving international stocks a thumbs up!😂😂
Tony
JoinTheLocalizer

TheoLeo wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:24 am
Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:02 am I have actually been experimenting with ignoring the market completely, and just monitoring the transactions page in my account just to make sure I haven't been robbed by hackers. Yesterday I didn't look at the market at all (nor did I look at this forum) and it was a day of serenity.

Just wanted to reach out and say I did the same this week. From monday to thursday. Then I had a nights out with friends and alcohol. They were talking about cryptos and stocks and so I relapsed. I blame the alcohol. I think its the ultimate strategy. Just don´t look at the markets, your accounts and financial news. Investing can be very stress free this way.
For the passive investors out there: "this is the way"
pokebowl

Post by pokebowl »

Well those futures certainly went red real fast.
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

pokebowl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:55 am Well those futures certainly went red real fast.
Strap on your seatbelts. Turbulence ahead.
Visitor76

Post by Visitor76 »

pokebowl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:55 am Well those futures certainly went red real fast.
The 10-year yield tops 1.80. Plus news out of Israeli that fourth booster doesn't stop omicron.
Wealth is not about having a lot of money; it's about having a lot of options.
JoinTheLocalizer

Visitor76 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:32 am
The 10-year yield tops 1.80. Plus news out of Israeli that fourth booster doesn't stop omicron.
The latter bit of news might present a short term shock on the negative side but should mean nothing long-term. Omicron may spell the end of the pandemic phase of COVID. The sooner everyone gets it, the better things will be as exposure to Omicron is protective against Delta et al.

This is not an invitation to discuss the politics of COVID, its spread and most importantly vaccination. It is merely my speculation that algos will jump on the news but logic suggests that it doesn't equate to doom in the slightest.
Last edited by JoinTheLocalizer on Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

JoinTheLocalizer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:58 am It is merely my speculation that algos will jump on the news but logic suggests that it doesn't equate to doom in the slightest.
ALGOS???
Algos in Greek is a neuter noun literally meaning "pain"
LOL
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

vanbogle59 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:03 am
JoinTheLocalizer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:58 am It is merely my speculation that algos will jump on the news but logic suggests that it doesn't equate to doom in the slightest.
ALGOS???
Algos in Greek is a neuter noun literally meaning "pain"
LOL
Algorithms. They do cause a lot of pain don’t they? 😂
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Nice deep red to start the week!
JoinTheLocalizer

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:34 am Nice deep red to start the week!
Sometimes a case of the Mondays ain't so bad. (Well, it feels like Monday because my company had MLK as holiday)
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

When hedge funds and institutions bail on stocks like today, where is the money going?
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

lostdog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:49 am When hedge funds and institutions bail on stocks like today, where is the money going?
Cash?
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
JoinTheLocalizer

lostdog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:49 am When hedge funds and institutions bail on stocks like today, where is the money going?
Tobacco and oil are both up, so some folks aren't doing so bad today.
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

Among the sea of reds, VDE (energy) is up 1.4%.