U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Tamalak

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Tamalak »

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐₐ
anoop

Post by anoop »

This is a healthy pullback not a free fall.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:14 pm
anoop wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:12 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:06 pm
anoop wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:39 pm Those who are selling -- where are they putting their money?? 30-year bonds??
RE and crypto.
Crypto fell so not sure that holds. RE very possible. But if we hyperinflate, how will people pay to maintain their properties? They aren’t going to find renters that can keep up.
We probably won't hyperinflate: "hyperinflation is rapidly rising inflation, typically measuring more than 50% per month."
People tack on the "hyper" to inflation way too cavalierly. That tagline applies to situations where you take your paycheck and go as fast as you can to the grocery store before they raise prices again later in the day. It's basically a complete loss of purchasing power of the currency.

Something pretty dramatic (like a major war involving U.S. soil) would likely have to happen to get true hyper inflation anytime soon. Countries where it has happened typically face steep foreign debts that must be payable in a currency that is not their own.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

My lump sum from a couple weeks ago is still up over 1%. Wake me up when we’re really falling so i can get some of those tax losses on the books :twisted:
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

Barely down 2 % from the top. Yawn

Wake me up when we're down 20%
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Hopefully a pragmatic correction to setup for a strong summer..not worried
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

anoop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:41 am This is a healthy pullback not a free fall.
are you trying to convince yourself or us? ;)
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

LINY wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:13 am
anoop wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:39 pm Those who are selling -- where are they putting their money?? 30-year bonds??
RE and crypto.
Could these tech workers be liquidating RSUs in order to overbid on homes?
Bay Area / Socal tech workers are most likely doing just that.

I'm not sure if homes are overbid though. Prices go up because people are actually affording them. Unless we start seeing foreclosures on those homes, the default assumption is that the buyers can pay the consequences just fine.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:22 am
RE and crypto.

I'm not sure if homes are overbid though. Prices go up because people are actually affording them. Unless we start seeing foreclosures on those homes, the default assumption is that the buyers can pay the consequences just fine.
I've never had any stock options of any value but I recall back just after things collapsed in ~2008. I was at San Jose airport talking to a guy and he said his neighbor lucked out big time because his options vested and he was able to cash out several million dollars just a few weeks before things fell apart and they would have been worthless.

Personally as the market drops and some of the easy money made (via Tesla and a lot of smaller tech stocks that did 100%+ last year) disappears, I'd expect home prices to come down to earth. There are other issues right now with shortages of many items including labor that also need to get resolved but when people realize they don't really need that $1M or $2M or whatever priced home, the market will slow down.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
anoop

Post by anoop »

alfaspider wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:42 am
RE and crypto.
Crypto fell so not sure that holds. RE very possible. But if we hyperinflate, how will people pay to maintain their properties? They aren’t going to find renters that can keep up.
We probably won't hyperinflate: "hyperinflation is rapidly rising inflation, typically measuring more than 50% per month."
People tack on the "hyper" to inflation way too cavalierly. That tagline applies to situations where you take your paycheck and go as fast as you can to the grocery store before they raise prices again later in the day. It's basically a complete loss of purchasing power of the currency.

Something pretty dramatic (like a major war involving U.S. soil) would likely have to happen to get true hyper inflation anytime soon. Countries where it has happened typically face steep foreign debts that must be payable in a currency that is not their own.
Burry described it by using parallels to Weimar. He quote some text from a book that said the collapse took something like 10 years to play out. The first 9 everything looked rosy because people were getting money for nothing. Then the collapse came (textbook hyperinflation) and it was all over.
anoop

Post by anoop »

watchnerd wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:17 am
anoop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:41 am This is a healthy pullback not a free fall.
are you trying to convince yourself or us? ;)
haha. free fall means circuit breaker gets hit in the first 10 min of trading.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rich126 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:48 am
Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:22 am
RE and crypto.

I've never had any stock options of any value but I recall back just after things collapsed in ~2008. I was at San Jose airport talking to a guy and he said his neighbor lucked out big time because his options vested and he was able to cash out several million dollars just a few weeks before things fell apart and they would have been worthless.

Personally as the market drops and some of the easy money made (via Tesla and a lot of smaller tech stocks that did 100%+ last year) disappears, I'd expect home prices to come down to earth. There are other issues right now with shortages of many items including labor that also need to get resolved but when people realize they don't really need that $1M or $2M or whatever priced home, the market will slow down.
That's certainly possible. The X-factor in town is crypto with a 2.4T market cap. It's possible those speculators already switched over from Tesla to crypto, and continue to laugh to the bank.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

Today seems like a good day to buy!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I am taking my truck in for service. Once ready I am backing up!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

We thought it was going to be a rout for Tech, but they're leading the comeback today.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Probably about time. The nasdaq has been in free fall since it touched its 52 week high a few weeks ago.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

atdharris wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:38 am Probably about time. The nasdaq has been in free fall since it touched its 52 week high a few weeks ago.
Corrections like this week are healthy and a sign people are not throwing caution to the wind...good time to add positions for long term..
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

anoop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 am
alfaspider wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:42 am

RE and crypto.

Burry described it by using parallels to Weimar. He quote some text from a book that said the collapse took something like 10 years to play out. The first 9 everything looked rosy because people were getting money for nothing. Then the collapse came (textbook hyperinflation) and it was all over.
Weimar was using local currency to pay foreign denominated debt (for WWI reparations). The debts of the U.S. are denominated in USD. Looking at it in concrete terms:

Weimar owes 10 billion in pounds sterling to England for war reparations. Say Deutschmarks are worth .1 pound sterling in year 1, and they need to make a payment of $1 billion pounds sterling to meet their reparation obligations. If they print 10 billion Deutschmarks in year 1, the exchange rate falls and now in year 2 Deutschmarks are worth .05 pounds sterling. They still need to pay off those debts, so in year 3 they try to print 20 billion Deutschmarks. Now the Deutschmark falls to .025 against the pound. That cycle continues until the Deutschmark is effectively worthless. The real-world numbers are obviously a bit different, and it's not quite so simple as running the printing presses, but that's effectively what happened.

Contrast the U.S.: The U.S. owes $20 trillion dollars to bond holders. One dollar equals one dollar no matter how many are in circulation. If you simply monetize the debt, it is inflationary, but you don't have a race to worthlessness because there's no treadmill of devaluation. If someone holds $1 million in treasury bonds, they must accept $1 million USD in redemption (plus stated interest). What could change the situation if something causes the U.S. to have to start borrowing or paying in non-U.S. currency. That would require a devastation of the U.S. economy and/or an abandonment of the USD as a reserve currency (it doesn't have to be THE reserve currency, just A reserve currency that investors are willing to hold.

In pure economic terms, inflation is too much currency chasing too few goods. In a hyperinflationary situation, the supply of currency becomes approaches infinite and demand approaches zero, leading its value to approach zero. In normal inflation, there may be an increase in the money supply and a limitation based on the ability to supply goods and services. There is only so much manufacturing capacity and services that can be provided. That's the situation we are now.

The question is whether the problem of too much money and too few goods is a temporary issue with the supply of goods and services. Is it just that the supply chains are still constrained by COVID and will eventually work out, or is there just so much money in circulation that the supply of goods and services won't catch up any time soon? If the former, inflation is a blip. If the latter, we could see significant (but not hyper) inflation.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

livesoft wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 am I haven't noticed an RBD since 4/20 when AVUV dropped and then went up about 10% in about 2 weeks. It would be nice to have another RBD soon-ish.
Not shaping up as an RBD as of now.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

deleted
Last edited by Zeno on Sun May 16, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Stinky wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:04 am
livesoft wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 am I haven't noticed an RBD since 4/20 when AVUV dropped and then went up about 10% in about 2 weeks. It would be nice to have another RBD soon-ish.
Not shaping up as an RBD as of now.
I'm assuming RBD means "Really big drop". Its strange (sad?) that people now seem to consider drops of a few % a big drop. I view 15-20% as more of a big drop but anything under 5% is really insignificant to me.

Tesla is down 16% for the year. Many of the high flying stocks are down about the same or more. Of course that is small change to those lucky or smart enough to get in early but many jumped on the bandwagon late and are likely panicking. (GME is still holding on to $142 which I find bizarre)
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Close. RBD is in the wiki: Abbreviations and Acronyms
RBD - Really Bad Day. A Bogleheads' idiomatic term coined by forum member livesoft. An early mention is in this thread: Today was a Really Bad Day.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TheoLeo

Post by TheoLeo »

thenextguy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:35 am We thought it was going to be a rout for Tech, but they're leading the comeback today.
Please not another tech comeback. If Tesla reaches another ATH this summer I will vomit. Can we just have a correction already?
drk

Post by drk »

LINY wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:13 am Could these tech workers be liquidating RSUs in order to overbid on homes?
We are in the trading window for FAANG right now.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
drk

Post by drk »

anoop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 am Burry described it by using parallels to Weimar. He quote some text from a book that said the collapse took something like 10 years to play out. The first 9 everything looked rosy because people were getting money for nothing. Then the collapse came (textbook hyperinflation) and it was all over.
Burry's confused. If you want to learn the actual history, a good starting point is this episode of the Odd Lots podcast with Zach Carter.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

drk wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:20 pm

Burry's confused. If you want to learn the actual history, a good starting point is this episode of the Odd Lots podcast with Zach Carter.
Yeah, if Burry actually made a serious comparison to Weimar, and not just some poorly though out comment, I'm going to have to give him demerits for not knowing basic economic history.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
txhill

Post by txhill »

We are witnessing a flight to safety in ARKK, COIN, and DOGE.

Edit: And GME. Can't forget that.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

txhill wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:37 pm We are witnessing a flight to safety in ARKK, COIN, and DOGE.

Not too shocking. I think ARKK has been down something like 8-9 trading days in a row.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Here's one of many blogs discussing Burry's tweets.
https://www.epiceconomist.com/michael-b ... is-coming/

I'm not enough of an expert to make an informed critique of his analysis. But I think for someone who has profited handsomely from the last crisis (GFC) I kind of take him more seriously than our fed that claimed "subprime is contained" and then later nationalized our banking system and put the economy on permanent life support.
txhill

Post by txhill »

atdharris wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:44 pm
txhill wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:37 pm We are witnessing a flight to safety in ARKK, COIN, and DOGE.

Not too shocking. I think ARKK has been down something like 8-9 trading days in a row.
Value stocks had a nice 4 months (after an awful decade). Time to send them back into the gutter!
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

anoop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:45 pm Here's one of many blogs discussing Burry's tweets.

I'm not enough of an expert to make an informed critique of his analysis. But I think for someone who has profited handsomely from the last crisis (GFC) I kind of take him more seriously than our fed that claimed "subprime is contained" and then later nationalized our banking system and put the economy on permanent life support.
I have the opposite opinion.

That kind of 'big win' is notorious for creating cognitive bias issues.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

anoop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:45 pm Here's one of many blogs discussing Burry's tweets.

I like Dr. Burry but it's hard to take him seriously when he constantly deletes tweets then later says "I will have proof I warned." This argument is only valid if the tweet in question remains undeleted.
txhill

Post by txhill »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:50 pm

I like Dr. Burry but it's hard to take him seriously when he constantly deletes tweets then later says "I will have proof I warned." This argument is only valid if the tweet in question remains undeleted.
Seriously. Didn't he claim that the Feds came after him after he tweeted about hyperinflation? I mean, yeah right. He's not just wearing a tinfoil hat, he's got full set of tinfoil body armor. He might be right but he is just not a credible source.
anoop

Post by anoop »

He deleted his entire twitter account because the SEC paid him a visit.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

anoop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:53 pm

Watch, It will pay! I may have been early, but I'm not wrong!
txhill

Post by txhill »

I have a hard time believing that the SEC makes house calls on people who tweet about hyperinflation. Isn't Burry an anti-vaxxer and general conspiracy theorist? Really hard to take him seriously.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Bulls fightin' back.
This time is the same
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

atdharris wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:44 pm

It's practically a bond now :wink:
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Do you believe that?

Also, if tweeting about inflation was going to get "the government" after you, wouldn't it be the Treasury?

After all, the Secret Service originally worked for the Treasury Dept until 2003.
anoop

Post by anoop »

watchnerd wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:36 pm
Do you believe that?

Also, if tweeting about inflation was going to get "the government" after you, wouldn't it be the Treasury?

After all, the Secret Service originally worked for the Treasury Dept until 2003.
I think it's because he's also a trader by profession.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

My allocation yesterday was 61/39. Today, it may possibly be 60/40. My IPS says to go about my business.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

anoop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:37 pm

I'm skeptical, to say the least.

Fund managers, hedge fund operators, etc appear on CNBC all the time pontificating on various macro economic matters.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

watchnerd wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:46 pm
anoop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:37 pm

I'm skeptical, to say the least.

Fund managers, hedge fund operators, etc appear on CNBC all the time pontificating on various macro economic matters.
Agree. He was also tweeting about Tesla, GME, BTC etc. He is/was short on some of these. I think the SEC visit had to do with the appearance his tweets were efforts to manipulate the prices of stocks he had positions in.
OohLaLa

Post by OohLaLa »

It's the classic case of an intelligent person that was right, in a big way, once and is now bathing in legitimacy. On top of that, he gained a lot of fame through "The Big Short", which adds to his influence. He could make a 100 wrong predictions from then on and still retain that aura. :annoyed

I have no doubt the government agencies would be interested in what he tweets about. He has the clout and funds to do some damage, if he wants to.

I don't take action based on his opinions, though. Tired of the classic "the walls are caving in" spiel, by folks like that.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

OohLaLa wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 pm It's the classic case of an intelligent person that was right, in a big way, once and is now bathing in legitimacy. On top of that, he gained a lot of fame through "The Big Short", which adds to his influence. He could make a 100 wrong predictions from then on and still retain that aura. :annoyed hat.
Eh, maybe he just got lucky. Thousands of active investors thinking they have it all figured out and making bets, some are going to be right by sheer chance and suddenly they knew it was all a bubble. Had he been a year too early, irrc, his bet would have failed. Permabears gonna bear.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

firebirdparts wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:17 pm Bulls fightin' back.
NASDAQ is very slightly up for the day at this moment.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

drk wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:17 pm
LINY wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:13 am Could these tech workers be liquidating RSUs in order to overbid on homes?
We are in the trading window for FAANG right now.
Yes, the FAANGs sans Microsoft have not really moved since July 2020
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:30 pm
firebirdparts wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:17 pm Bulls fightin' back.
NASDAQ is very slightly up for the day at this moment.
the Daq is back, almost
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I wouldn't celebrate NASDAQ just yet, it lost 2.5% yesterday and doing less bad today that's all. A sell-off can continue here.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:03 pm I wouldn't celebrate NASDAQ just yet, it lost 2.5% yesterday and doing less bad today that's all. A sell-off can continue here.
Of course it can. These short term blips mean absolutely nothing. Any stock or index may be the highest it will ever be in the next 5 years, right now. Or, it may be the lowest it will ever be again. Who knows?