U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Yesterdaysnews

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Yesterdaysnews »

I think what matters is how sick it makes people. Remember, coronaviruses also cause the common cold. Often mutations over time make viruses less virulent.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:16 pm
MadAsgardian wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:34 am It's cause for concern but this is unnecessarily alarmist.
Tell that to the markets, S&P500 down -2.3%, Small Caps down almost 4%.
While there are a lot of unknowns at this point, the fact is that it has been confirmed that the spike protein on this thing is very different and many experts have said that the efficacy of the current vaccines is in doubt. That is certainly cause for "alarm".
2.3%? Oh my, alarm alarm. Uh, not so much.

It will be sad if we see a 10% or 20% (or way more…) drop next week, because so many people will damage their long term growth by bailing out of stocks.

This new variant could be 2x worse, and I won’t sell a single share of equity funds. Unless we see an 85% drop, then I will finally sell my last high ER fund and buy VTSAX without getting hit with additional taxes. Of course, to go with the high ER, they will also distribute $20k in cap gains next month.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Silverado wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:27 pm
MadAsgardian wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:34 am It's cause for concern but this is unnecessarily alarmist.
While there are a lot of unknowns at this point, the fact is that it has been confirmed that the spike protein on this thing is very different and many experts have said that the efficacy of the current vaccines is in doubt. That is certainly cause for "alarm".
2.3%? Oh my, alarm alarm. Uh, not so much.

It will be sad if we see a 10% or 20% (or way more…) drop next week, because so many people will damage their long term growth by bailing out of stocks.

This new variant could be 2x worse, and I won’t sell a single share of equity funds. Unless we see an 85% drop, then I will finally sell my last high ER fund and buy VTSAX without getting hit with additional taxes. Of course, to go with the high ER, they will also distribute $20k in cap gains next month.
[/quote
Last edited by Zeno on Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Silverado wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:27 pm.... Of course, to go with the high ER, they will also distribute $20k in cap gains next month.
So they will sell $20K of your investment for you. :twisted: Presumably, you will use the distribution to buy VTSAX as you stated. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

This must be why it's called Black Friday... for those nostalgic for Black Monday (1987), Black Tuesday (1929), etc.
Silverado wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:27 pm 2.3%? Oh my, alarm alarm. Uh, not so much.
Yeah, stocks have never been this low since... one month ago! The pain, the pain...
That's still a positive one-year return. What's not to like?

20% down is just a run-of-the-mill, garden variety bear market (in fact, by definition, the smallest possible bear market). People who can't handle that should not be in stocks. If they're that skittish, then the old adage comes to mind...

"In bear markets, stocks return to their rightful owners."

It's all good.
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Ed 2 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:16 am
z3r0c00l wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:10 am There is some good news though, oil is down $6 on this news so a bit of relief to the drivers out there and Pfizer is up 5%. If only there was an oil/vaccine long-short sort of fund out there? Sounds like it would work well as a hedge against pandemics.
We are not in pandemic, it is combined pandemic and endemic. You can’t hedge against the mother of all bomb like this. Humanity never been in such scenario. The only thing I am glad stop hearing hysterical comments from talking heads like Jeremy Siegel and other Nostradamuses regarding raging infection , LOL.
Death by viral pandemic has been normal in the human condition since before our species arose and it has never gone away. HIV may kill 40 million before it is all said and done. Just 100 years ago a very similar pandemic, albeit a flu virus, occurred. This is a major economic issue however so I am not sure what you mean by hysterical, this could continue to hurt the economy in serious ways for years to come not to mention kill another 10 million people if it lasts 2-3 years.

By the way, crude down over 13% today! That is on the expectation of once again reduced activity and travel no doubt. That kind of move dwarfs a silly 2.5% drop in stocks.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds

Post by 000 »

Forester wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:01 am S&P 500 will sell off down to around 4,200 then a final rally to around 5,200 Q1 2022.
Hmmmm...... where have we heard that before?
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Folks, let's please try to keep away from posts that only discuss the virulency of the new variant or whether vaccines will or will not affect it and so forth, and concentrate on financial issues. Thanks.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)

Post by 000 »

Always a bull market somewhere.

Shoulda bought the VIX :shock:
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Silverado wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:27 pm It will be sad if we see a 10% or 20% (or way more…) drop next week, because so many people will damage their long term growth by bailing out of stocks.
I'm not advocating to sell, absolutely not, all I am saying is that this may result in a very rough wave that we will need to ride through, we've seen it before in March 2020 and it may even be a buying opportunity, all i'm saying is to buckle up as the seas may get rough.

Post by 000 »

Predictions for Monday? :twisted:
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I’ll bite. S&P down 2.5% on Monday.
Crushtheturtle

Post by Crushtheturtle »

If memory serves from today, the smart folks at CNBC mentioned that the average drop with the previous two “variant scares” was 3-4%. Not sure how that squares with today’s low-volume pullback of approximately 2% in large cap, and a massive 4+% in small cap (after an already-monumental collapse from all time highs in small cap).

I have to hope that these indexes are indicating over-sold to the market movers.

On an unrelated note, when using Futures contracts, one should always have a plan in place. The swings in value make index fund pullbacks look like a walk in the park :shock:
- Boglehead meets Daytrader | - The opposite of love is apathy. I apathy the market
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

000 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:12 pm Predictions for Monday? :twisted:
Monday The most nervous one’s as always will start selling at the opening after seating in front of computers over the weekend glued to weekend nonsense , patient one’s will start buying at the close. When it comes to the market short term only God knows .
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

"Stocks Rally As Covid Variant Fears Subside"

Or not.

During the Covid freakout last year, I was one of those who didn't stay the course. I learned my lesson. Not going to do anything but mechanically and stoically maintain my allocation weights when they get thrown too off kilter. That is all.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Crushtheturtle wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:35 pm...and a massive 4+% in small cap (after an already-monumental collapse from all time highs in small cap).
AVUV (small-cap value) had an RBD on October 27 with its drop of 2.66% that day. Today AVUV was down more than 5% at one point.

Monday should be interesting for sure.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Nervous Nellies in the media echo chamber will scare those with “paper hands” over the weekend.

The market will trade down at least 3% at some point on Monday. It will close down, but less than 3%.

You heard it here first. :twisted:
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

z3r0c00l wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:48 pm
Ed 2 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:16 am
z3r0c00l wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:10 am There is some good news though, oil is down $6 on this news so a bit of relief to the drivers out there and Pfizer is up 5%. If only there was an oil/vaccine long-short sort of fund out there? Sounds like it would work well as a hedge against pandemics.
We are not in pandemic, it is combined pandemic and endemic. You can’t hedge against the mother of all bomb like this. Humanity never been in such scenario. The only thing I am glad stop hearing hysterical comments from talking heads like Jeremy Siegel and other Nostradamuses regarding raging infection , LOL.
Death by viral pandemic has been normal in the human condition since before our species arose and it has never gone away. HIV may kill 40 million before it is all said and done. Just 100 years ago a very similar pandemic, albeit a flu virus, occurred. This is a major economic issue however so I am not sure what you mean by hysterical, this could continue to hurt the economy in serious ways for years to come not to mention kill another 10 million people if it lasts 2-3 years.

By the way, crude down over 13% today! That is on the expectation of once again reduced activity and travel no doubt. That kind of move dwarfs a silly 2.5% drop in stocks.
I made a mistake , instead of” inflation” I wrote “infection “, I didn’t mean virus impact. I wanted to point on some talking heads on CNBC crying wolf regarding fed reserve and inflation. We had deflation for many decades and wished to have some inflation. Now when federal reserve has done and will do everything to save economy we see some professors like Siegel jumping the gun and trying to predict during unpredictable times.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

I don't think the markets are being alarmist or irrational. When the US, Japan, UK, and EU nations cut off flights from the region and Pfizer and Moderna announce they are moving pronto on a new booster, the markets can see that there is a decent chance this variant of concern has legs.
Jaymover

Post by Jaymover »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm

Or not.

During the Covid freakout last year, I was one of those who didn't stay the course. I learned my lesson. Not going to do anything but mechanically and stoically maintain my allocation weights when they get thrown too off kilter. That is all.
Thanks for sharing. I stayed the course last year thank god. However when things are going up it is so tempting to take on more risk like ditch the poorly performing bonds for stocks. I noticed that my bond values went up alot yesterday so there is the lesson in the power of diversity.

As an aside, markets didn't goo haywire when the delta variant hit the scene. We have a vaccine, it can be modified, booster shots are on the cards, variants have always been expected. Maybe this is the correction we had to have but it wont upend the global economy.
Last edited by Jaymover on Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:42 pm
Silverado wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:27 pm.... Of course, to go with the high ER, they will also distribute $20k in cap gains next month.
So they will sell $20K of your investment for you. :twisted: Presumably, you will use the distribution to buy VTSAX as you stated. :)
Yep, same as every year since getting educated in 2013. This is TRP Science and Technology. They have sold a whole bunch of my investment in the last decade +. Very considerate of them to monkey with my tax planning like that. 100% of those proceeds are sent to Vanguard for total stock. It has been a wonderful investment over the years, but I know it was pure luck. I am playing with house money. I should post a screenshot at some point of my account balance. Good case study.

(The full story is that I TLH'd into it from a Janus fund in 2009, and have conveniently forgotten my true cost basis. So nice to be able to write my own narrative.)
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Some perspective here. This thread is coming up on 500 pages (for more than a decade now), and the market has withstood what seems like countless setbacks all that time. So maybe this is an important milestone of sorts.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm

Or not.

"Retail stocks rebound as black Friday and cyber Monday sales are expected to outpace _____"
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

rgs92 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:50 pm Some perspective here. This thread is coming up on 500 pages (for more than a decade now), and the market has withstood what seems like countless setbacks all that time. So maybe this is an important milestone of sorts.
Let's see if we can nudge it over...
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 »

UpperNwGuy

Re: I am buying today . Anybody else ?

Post by UpperNwGuy »

lazynovice wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:55 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:49 pm
GoldenFinch wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:28 pm I stayed at the gym too long and missed the whole thing. A little dramatic point-wise, but not so much percentage-wise.
Yep, that's my excuse, too.
Are y’all talking about stocks or your weight?
We're talking about why we're not talking about stocks.
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

I predict a bloodbath.
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
VanGar+Goyle

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall [ SINCE 2011 ]

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

I now see that this is a Classic Post Subject.
It is like watching "It's a Wonderful Life" at Christmas time,
"The Ten Commandments" at Easter, or
"Psycho" at Halloween every year.

"U.S. stocks in free fall" is part of the normal season of investing.
We just never know when, how deep, or how long it will be :)
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Gundy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:21 am
I predict a bloodbath.
I predict volatility.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:02 am
I predict a bloodbath.
I predict volatility.
I predict that I will do nothing and get rewarded for it long term.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Getting ready to back up the truck. Staying the course.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:02 am
I predict a bloodbath.
I predict volatility.
It will be up.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:10 am Getting ready to back up the truck. Staying the course.

Best.
Tony
Clearly this truck only drives in reverse!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

GoldenFinch wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:12 am
abuss368 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:10 am Getting ready to back up the truck. Staying the course.

Best.
Tony
Clearly this truck only drives in reverse!
Priceless!😂
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
SuperTrooper87

Post by SuperTrooper87 »

Reoccurring purchase happened yesterday. Not upset.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Monday. Predict vaccine and antiviral manufacturer stocks way up.
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

I love the BH philosophy. I didn't even know or care the markets were open on Friday.

Since my regularly scheduled beginning-of-month 403b contribution is coming up soon, a 2%+ decline has a nice silver lining.
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Sheepdog wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:19 pm It is so nice not to care anymore.....
Woof
ApeAttack wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:48 pm I love the BH philosophy. I didn't even know or care the markets were open on Friday.
You two are a breath of fresh air in this thread. Meow
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Robot Monster wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:15 pm
Sheepdog wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:19 pm It is so nice not to care anymore.....
Woof
ApeAttack wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:48 pm I love the BH philosophy. I didn't even know or care the markets were open on Friday.
As is lostdog and probably some others.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:17 pm
Woof
I've been horrible lately, glued to my portfolio on Yahoo Finance, and obsessively, mindlessly reading the financial news, and I want desperately not to care, so those two I named are my heros for that reason.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post discussing epidemiology of the latest coronavirus variants. As a reminder, see: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SuperTrooper87

Post by SuperTrooper87 »

Robot Monster wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:24 pm
Woof
I've been horrible lately, glued to my portfolio on Yahoo Finance, and obsessively, mindlessly reading the financial news, and I want desperately not to care, so those two I named are my heros for that reason.
Tune out the noise and do something else. Not worth the stress. Consider adjusting the AA if it feels too risky for your situation.
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

Unless you are pulling out all of your net worth tomorrow, the drop in prices is short term noise and not actionable

You built up your portfolio over decades, you will deplete it over decades. And a lot of noise happens in between.
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

SuperTrooper87 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:53 pm Tune out the noise and do something else. Not worth the stress. Consider adjusting the AA if it feels too risky for your situation.
Okay, thank you, I will. This will, sadly, include taking a bit of a vacation from this forum, but yeah, time for a mental health break.
Nathan Drake wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:01 pm Unless you are pulling out all of your net worth tomorrow, the drop in prices is short term noise and not actionable

You built up your portfolio over decades, you will deplete it over decades. And a lot of noise happens in between.
Well said. Thanks.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Robot Monster wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:06 pm
SuperTrooper87 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:53 pm Tune out the noise and do something else. Not worth the stress. Consider adjusting the AA if it feels too risky for your situation.
Okay, thank you, I will. This will, sadly, include taking a bit of a vacation from this forum, but yeah, time for a mental health break.
Nathan Drake wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:01 pm Unless you are pulling out all of your net worth tomorrow, the drop in prices is short term noise and not actionable

Well said. Thanks.
Markers go up and down. This is all normal stuff. Yep, tune it out! Let it so its thing. The downs are part of the long term upward trend.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:09 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:06 pm

Well said. Thanks.
Markers go up and down. This is all normal stuff. Yep, tune it out! Let it so its thing. The downs are part of the long term upward trend.
Thanks, I updated my sig. :happy
Mrmetalpole

Post by Mrmetalpole »

Variants, Inflation, High Valuations, Oh My!
Martzee

Post by Martzee »

More selling. What else would you expect when the world is ending?
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

Robot Monster wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:24 pm
Woof
I'm still 20 years or so from retirement, so maybe that helps a bit. The market will have a lot of ups and downs before I need the money.
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
saintsfan342000

Post by saintsfan342000 »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm During the Covid freakout last year, I was one of those who didn't stay the course. I learned my lesson. Not going to do anything but mechanically and stoically maintain my allocation weights when they get thrown too off kilter. That is all.
Would you be willing to share a few more details about what you did last year? What, why, if/how you re-entered the market, changed your AA, etc. I'm trying to compile all the posts from people who pulled out, changed AA, etc. due to the coronus crash.
Already impartial now...and you have a nice day.