U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Raraculus

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Raraculus »

Bought the dip today. Was not fooled by the dead cat bounce yesterday. Always buy on the second dip. This is some deep, heavy thinking, people! :D I have a feeling that the next 2-3 weeks will be a volatile time for the markets due to uncertainties surrounding coronavirus, inflation, etc. Let's get this out of our system in time for a fresh start in 2022!
DidOurBest

Post by DidOurBest »

sg1223 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:10 pm Very proud of the fact that I was able to purchase 4 shares of VTI this morning. I don't make or earn much. I tend to only purchase 1 to two shares per bi-weekly or even month. I now have 30 shares. A minuscule amount to many, a major accomplishment for me in my journey so far.

Not upset at the price I bought it at, I wonder how the market will look tomorrow.
Excellent work! We are not too far ahead of you - we went totally “scorched earth” when our portfolio fell from $385k to $265k in Feb/March 2020 and as of last Wednesday it was $890k ($867k today). It paid off for us!

I only wish A) I knew how/if I could or should TLH, B) how much of my taxable acct I could sell by the end of this year without going into the next tax bracket (it wouldn’t be much) and C) we had more money to buy with today!

Never let up!!!
Professoro

Post by Professoro »

sg1223 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:10 pm Very proud of the fact that I was able to purchase 4 shares of VTI this morning. I don't make or earn much. I tend to only purchase 1 to two shares per bi-weekly or even month. I now have 30 shares. A minuscule amount to many, a major accomplishment for me in my journey so far.

Not upset at the price I bought it at, I wonder how the market will look tomorrow.
Excellent. Counting the shares is the right approach. VTI is also an excellent choice. This is what I just wrote the other day.

"I used to worry about how the market will react to news in times like this. This helped me to stop worrying about it: Counting my shares. I know I will have more shares than I ever had on Wednesday with the paycheck no matter what happens between now and Wednesday. Just focus on saving and buying more shares. If market goes up, my net worth will go up. If market goes down, I will be able to buy more shares on Wednesday. Win-win!"
Collectingnuts

Post by Collectingnuts »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:51 am I welcome the correction, for me a deep correction now is better than when I retire in a few years and experience sequence risk, I'd rather take my pain now when I am contributing...
Corrections are not what you should be worried about retiring in a few years. Corrections occur whenever the market goes on a run like it did this year. You should be worried about the Bear coming out of hibernation right before you retire and hanging around for years. How would your nest egg hold up to a market that is flat or down for 5yrs or so while you have no income and you have to take those RMDs. :(
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

futures sharply up...

up down up down, soon SPX is going to resemble my heart beat :)

Post by 000 »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:51 pm futures sharply up...

up down up down, soon SPX is going to resemble my heart beat :)
Something something about bears and bulls fighting for control of momentum. :mrgreen:
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Where is the greed v fear index at these days?

Post by 000 »

Kookaburra wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:21 pm Where is the greed v fear index at these days?
FEAR :shock:
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

DidOurBest wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:25 pm
Excellent work! We are not too far ahead of you - we went totally “scorched earth” when our portfolio fell from $385k to $265k in Feb/March 2020 and as of last Wednesday it was $890k ($867k today). It paid off for us!
Excellent work on your part as well. I'm assuming the rise from $265k to $890k was not just from VTI.
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

I’m probably the oddball, but I don’t pay any attention to what I’ve paid for anything. Months or a couple years later it doesn’t matter to me.

Just keep buying as long as you can. I’m done now (71 and recently retired) whether I like it or not; I have no more earned income so I can’t add to my SEP-IRA.

My biggest problem now is getting into a spending mode. It seems to be more difficult than accumulating.
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
5outof10

Post by 5outof10 »

Keep at it!! Nice work!! It will payoff at the end of you stay diligent!!!!!!!!!????????? Be proud of this accomplishment!
Checking 10K, Sinking Funds 50K (HYSA/MMF), EF 50K (I bonds), Taxable/Retirement: 72% VTI, 18% VXUS, 10% BND | I would like to own a gold bar one day, to be able to say I own a gold bar.
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

kudos. :beer and best wishes on your investments.
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

Bluce wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:43 am

I’m probably the oddball, but I don’t pay any attention to what I’ve paid for anything. Months or a couple years later it doesn’t matter to me.

Just keep buying as long as you can. I’m done now (71 and recently retired) whether I like it or not; I have no more earned income so I can’t add to my SEP-IRA.

My biggest problem now is getting into a spending mode. It seems to be more difficult than accumulating.
I just keep shoveling in money each pay period. Don't know how many shares I buy, I'm just hoping it grows by the time I retire.
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
Tinyz

Post by Tinyz »

Just bought today. *checking balance* Empty...only got share :( Future green, return inflow to developed/HK. No bad news yet :confused
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

Collectingnuts wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:38 pm
stocknoob4111 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:51 am I welcome the correction, for me a deep correction now is better than when I retire in a few years and experience sequence risk, I'd rather take my pain now when I am contributing...
Corrections are not what you should be worried about retiring in a few years. Corrections occur whenever the market goes on a run like it did this year. You should be worried about the Bear coming out of hibernation right before you retire and hanging around for years. How would your nest egg hold up to a market that is flat or down for 5yrs or so while you have no income and you have to take those RMDs. :(
A prolonged bear market is definitely something to be concerned about as one enters retirement. BUT don't forget that most of us will be getting at least some income from Social Security.

Yeah yeah I know, it's not enough to survive on...but if one is frugal in retirement, that SS check will pay for food and utilities and some other expenses.
"As of October 2021, (the most recently available month), the average Social Security check benefit for retired workers was $1,562.66 per month."
https://www.thebalance.com/how-much-is- ... ck-4774723
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

livesoft wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:39 am Not even an RBD yet, but there is still time.
And there we go: AVUV is in RBD territory and selling even below the Oct 27 RBD price.
Well, that worked out very nicely.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

mikejuss wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:02 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:29 am
stocknoob4111 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:27 am The markets went up because they probably thought that Powell will ease, now even with knowledge of the variant he wants to continue tapering as planned. I think Powell is getting spooked by inflation.
I love a good explanation regarding why the market is going up or down on any particular day.
I love it even more when it provides insight into what someone is thinking.

I would love it best when this insight could be applied to tomorrow's market instead - now that would be actionable!
Has anyone looked into how daily weather patterns may affect stock prices? Does the sun predispose people to buy or sell? Seems like as good an explanation as any other.
Nice bounce this morning! I can't help but to point out that it's a sunny day where I am located. Coincidence?
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Tapering starting 🥲
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

newyorker wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:14 pm Tapering starting 🥲
SPX red now, what a turnaround. +1.6% to red.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Yep, quite a day. "Tech" is still popping though.
This time is the same
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Officially lost 14 months worth of gains in my ARKK position. Maybe it's time to learn a lesson from this, book my small losses and roll it into VTI
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

atdharris wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:19 pm Officially lost 14 months worth of gains in my ARKK position. Maybe it's time to learn a lesson from this, book my small losses and roll it into VTI
Another lesson would be to learn to buy more when the something has dropped in value.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

I think this thread should be merged with the one about US stock soaring.

The thread title could be: U.S. stocks soaring/in free fall/soaring/in free fall
Yesterdaysnews

Post by Yesterdaysnews »

Omicron dip will be looked back upon as a nice buying opportunity in a few weeks.
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

atdharris wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:19 pm Officially lost 14 months worth of gains in my ARKK position. Maybe it's time to learn a lesson from this, book my small losses and roll it into VTI
I bit the bullet a few weeks ago. Sold my ARKK at a loss and put the money into VOO and VOOG.

I'm sticking with the big indexes from now on.
456M

Post by 456M »

VTI is down over 5% overall from the top. Is this the biggest drop from ATH for 2021?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

The market is working out the weak hands.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

livesoft wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:24 pm
Another lesson would be to learn to buy more when the something has dropped in value.
I am not sure what I will do. I hold ARKK as a riskier asset in my portfolio, and it does sound silly to sell after the big drop this year, but this is the risk and dilemma I take by owning non-index funds.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Unless it's a pile of stinking turds, and then you probably don't want to buy more even if it is cheaper.

Pretty bad lesson to say "Buy anything that goes down"
Last edited by HomerJ on Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
livelifealittle

Post by livelifealittle »

atdharris wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:44 pm
I am not sure what I will do. I hold ARKK as a riskier asset in my portfolio, and it does sound silly to sell after the big drop this year, but this is the risk and dilemma I take by owning non-index funds.
In the same boat with exactly the same dilemma :(
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

livelifealittle wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:47 pm
Going down with the Arkk? :D
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I know I shouldn't try to time the market, but I have a hard time seeing ARKK doing well in a rising rate environment in 2022-2023. I guess nothing is certain.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

atdharris wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:51 pm
I know I shouldn't try to time the market, but I have a hard time seeing ARKK doing well in a rising rate environment in 2022-2023. I guess nothing is certain.
You're not timing the market by predicting what ARKK will do. ARKK isn't the market. Of course, you probably can't ARKK time either.

Look, we all did what you are doing... I was invested in Janus Fund back in the 1990s when it was the hot fund. That didn't work out.

Keep your hand on the stove until you get burned yourself. It's the only way to learn.

There are three kinds of men.
The one that learns by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves

-Will Rogers

Notice it's only ONE person who learns by reading. You can read here what we did, but you're thinking you're smarter than we were, and maybe you are... but probably not.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
livelifealittle

Post by livelifealittle »

surfstar wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:49 pm
Still debating. Should I abandon ship?
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

surfstar wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:49 pm
I jumped off the Arkk. Whew!!!
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

the omicron market is in full swing now.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

456M wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:28 pm VTI is down over 5% overall from the top. Is this the biggest drop from ATH for 2021?
Around 6% now...
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

peskypesky wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:25 pm I think this thread should be merged with the one about US stock soaring.

The thread title could be: U.S. stocks soaring/in free fall/soaring/in free fall
Or to save ink, "Stock prices change!"

:wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Gut check time is on. Recommendation for some: turn off TV , radio and go get some air and turn on your computers back approximately in April 2022.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Boy, that escalated quickly.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:02 am
Gundy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:21 am
000 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:12 pm Predictions for Monday? :twisted:
I predict a bloodbath.
I predict volatility.
Missed it by that much!
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:04 pm
peskypesky wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:25 pm I think this thread should be merged with the one about US stock soaring.

Or to save ink, "Stock prices change!"

:wink:

RM
haha!
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

“‘Tis but a scratch!”... “Just a flesh wound!”
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Ugly day, with one bright spot, at least.

Updated I-bond holdings. That was a much better exercise than looking at our Vanguard accounts.

I need to make one more distribution for the year, but today was not the day to do so.

I'm sure I'll get a better opportunity one day this month.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Unfortunately I hit my 401k max last Friday and the next cpl months are tight $$ wise for taxable contributions, so I won't be contributing to the "dip". I won't be selling anything either, so there's that at least :)
BitTooAggressive

Post by BitTooAggressive »

Hold me. :(
nevernotpresent

Post by nevernotpresent »

BitTooAggressive wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:48 pm Hold me. :(
Buy Right and Hold Tight! We're in this for the long-term. This is just a blip. In a few years you will look back at this blip and smile.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I am hoping for a 20% drop. That would be around 3,760 for the S&P 500, which is still around 11% higher than right before the pandemic.

Why would I want 20% and not 30%, 40%, or 50%?

Because it gives me the ability to buy shares cheaper with new money, rebalance into cheaper stocks with existing money, likely wouldn't hurt retirees too much (a balanced portfolio would drop around 12%), likely this wouldn't mean we're in a severe period of unemployment or anything catastrophic, people who have stayed the course are still up compared to pre-pandemic levels, and this gives us higher expected returns going forward.

So, 20% is a good number.

Come on down!
Candor

Post by Candor »

I guess an Omicron case in the US wasn't priced in? Yep, never would have seen that coming. :oops:
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:58 pm You're not timing the market by predicting what ARKK will do. ARKK isn't the market. Of course, you probably can't ARKK time either.

Look, we all did what you are doing... I was invested in Janus Fund back in the 1990s when it was the hot fund. That didn't work out.

Keep your hand on the stove until you get burned yourself. It's the only way to learn.

There are three kinds of men.
The one that learns by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves

-Will Rogers

Notice it's only ONE person who learns by reading. You can read here what we did, but you're thinking you're smarter than we were, and maybe you are... but probably not.
:sharebeer Agree.

Trying to buy the next hot sector is full of pitfalls. Which sector is going to be hot? Is it hot already and I'm buying near the top? When to get in? When to get out?

As the classic investment books teach, just buy and hold the total market and you will automatically be holding ALL the sectors -- hot, cold, or otherwise, no timing necessary.

Just ride the wave up. :D
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes