U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
mtmingus

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by mtmingus »

Stinky wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:25 pm
mtmingus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:22 pm Backing up my backpack...
Don’t fill it with rocks. You might tip over backwards. :twisted:

Rather, fill it with light, airy stocks that are certain to rise when equities resume their normal “soaring”.
light and airy?
Don't know what they are but have only ITOT.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Missed yesterday but buying today. RBW between yesterday and today. SCV in particular.
"In the short run, the stock market is a voting machine; in the long run, it is a weighing machine" ~Benjamin Graham
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

KineticSync wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:56 am My megacorp 401k deposit happens every other Monday. Just once, just one time, I'd like to see some of this jawboning happen on a Monday so I have a fair shot at a dip.
Mine go in today. First time I've caught a dip on contribution day in quite a while. :sharebeer
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:14 am
newyorker wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:05 am Anyone know what caused market drop today?
Maybe it doesn't matter? See:
💎🙌
link
FTFY. This thread is for fun and wild conjecture. Replying with the long winded BH equivalent of 💎🙌 is being far too serious.

The very fact that we are even IN this thread (or the soaring one) has more deliberate irony than a battleship. Real bogleheads aren't even watching the forum, much less the market.

"The market dropped last year? Huh...I wasn't paying attention...I was trying to find toilet paper. Seemed more than fine when I rebalanced in January..."
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

ksualum wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:37 pm well, this still does beat the daily 5% drops we had at the beginning of the pandemic . . . . It could be worse
If we don't trigger a circuit breaker is it really a RBD anymore? Those days were both awesome and scary like a good roller coaster should be.

Unfortunately, my fear is that the fed is out of rabbits to pull out of their hats if things actually go pear shaped this year.
Hoongajji

Post by Hoongajji »

Mount St.Helens is venting.

Get your cameras ready.

Stay safe.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

nigel_ht wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:22 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:14 am
newyorker wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:05 am Anyone know what caused market drop today?
Maybe it doesn't matter? See:
💎🙌
link
FTFY. This thread is for fun and wild conjecture. Replying with the long winded BH equivalent of 💎🙌 is being far too serious.
Being far too serious in a thread meant for fun and wild conjecture is my way of having fun. But seriously, I do sense nervousness coming from newyorker, and I wanted to calm their fears.

I never heard of diamond hands before. I like it.

Anyone take a gander at the scare headlines on Bloomberg?

"Fed Shocks Stocks With Blow to Dreams of Value Investor Nirvana"
"Michael Burry Warns Retail Traders About the ‘Mother of All Crashes’"
"Mark Cuban’s Loss and a Possible Death Cross: The Week in [censored]"
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

I've already seen a couple of articles with tech analysis guys patting themselves on the back for having predicted this "crash".
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Wooo! I love it when it's down 1% on payday.
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:46 pm I've already seen a couple of articles with tech analysis guys patting themselves on the back for having predicted this "crash".
The "Stopped Clock Syndrome" never goes out of fashion. ;)
"There are no new ideas, only forgotten ones." -- Amity Shlaes
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Bluce wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:25 pm
ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:46 pm I've already seen a couple of articles with tech analysis guys patting themselves on the back for having predicted this "crash".
Bluce! Welcome back!

Haven’t seen you post here in a while. Good to see you again.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

Stinky wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:36 pm
Bluce wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:25 pm
Bluce! Welcome back!

Haven’t seen you post here in a while. Good to see you again.
Hey thanks bud! I hope all is well with you. I've been in and out of here a bit lately, but I guess we didn't cross paths til now.

I am now an unhappy retiree. Ridiculous arthritis in my hands, had to fold my business up. :oops:
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Today sucked. Just saying.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

rockstar wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 pm Today sucked. Just saying.
You are right. The Curly Family Portfolio was set back all the way to where it was on Wednesday morning. A really horrible day.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

CurlyDave wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:35 pm
rockstar wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 pm Today sucked. Just saying.
You are right. The Curly Family Portfolio was set back all the way to where it was on Wednesday morning. A really horrible day.
Don't jinx it.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Asia is in the red big time. US pre-market is red.

Here we go again. Hang on!
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

lostdog wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:21 pm Asia is in the red big time. US pre-market is red.

Wake me up when we’re 10% off all time highs.

Until then, it’s just a bunch of background noise.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

lostdog wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:21 pm Asia is in the red big time. US pre-market is red.

Not sure why Asia's so red. Headlines say they're concerned about US hiking earlier. I mean, really? Why are they worried about that now I ask.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:38 pm

Not sure why Asia's so red. Headlines say they're concerned about US hiking earlier. I mean, really? Why are they worried about that now I ask.
When somebody says something, and then later they say something else, and the old something is no longer true, how does that make you feel? Confident in that person? Or wary? And how long does it take you to decide how you feel?
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Beensabu wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:56 pm

When somebody says something, and then later they say something else, and the old something is no longer true, how does that make you feel? Confident in that person? Or wary? And how long does it take you to decide how you feel?
Well, finance sites always bring the most plausible narratives they can find. Realistically Asia selling off because we sold off -1.33% on Friday, not much more to it imo.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:00 pm
Beensabu wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:56 pm

Well, finance sites always bring the most plausible narratives they can find. Realistically Asia selling off because we sold off -1.33% on Friday, not much more to it imo.
So you are sure? And you say domino effect? Interesting.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Beensabu wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:07 pm So you are sure? And you say domino effect? Interesting.
At this hour, I think so. Now, Europe / US might not follow suit. Obviously the domino effect has to stop somewhere.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I saw this thread pop up and yawned... then I realized I had posted on it around 2011!

Hah!

Hold the course...
Indexed Fully!
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

arthurdawg wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:16 pm I saw this thread pop up and yawned... then I realized I had posted on it around 2011!

Hah!

Hold the course...
I already sold everything and bought gold, water, beef jerky, and ammo.

Did I jump too quick? :confused
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:14 pm
Beensabu wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:07 pm So you are sure? And you say domino effect? Interesting.
At this hour, I think so. Now, Europe / US might not follow suit. Obviously the domino effect has to stop somewhere.
Well. The US started it according to your theory, so it's the first domino. There could be a last domino or a middle domino that is also the US. It could be a zig zag pattern. Ooooh... or one of those where a ball gets pushed by one set and rolls and drops down and starts a whole different set going... Or three balls! Or five! Or like that crazy video in that rich kid's "backyard" where a basketball eventually ended up going through a hoop. That was cool. That was an excellent use of that backyard.
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

Is it time for some gold, and commodity play? CLF , MT anyone?

Do metals (steel, copper) always do good when markets take a shter or inflation rises?
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

elderwise wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:30 pm Is it time for some gold, and commodity play? CLF , MT anyone?

Do metals (steel, copper) always do good when markets take a shter or inflation rises?
No.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Bluce wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:24 pm
arthurdawg wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:16 pm I saw this thread pop up and yawned... then I realized I had posted on it around 2011!

Hah!

Hold the course...

When did you sell? Very hard to buy physical right now.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

10Y crashing to 1.37%...bonds are really popular for some reason, even though the Fed signaled hikes :confused
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:50 pm 10Y crashing to 1.37%...bonds are really popular for some reason, even though the Fed signaled hikes :confused
In 2023!!!! Good lord
anoop

Post by anoop »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:50 pm 10Y crashing to 1.37%...bonds are really popular for some reason, even though the Fed signaled hikes :confused
The hikes would affect the short end. All the long bond is saying is if they raise rates (a flattening/inversion of the curve will happen), market will crater and they will be forced to lower rates and do even more QE.

The fed is in an interesting place -- they either accommodate and people will quit their jobs and live off investments creating inflationary pressures (companies not able to hire), or they tank the market and we even more unemployment and joblessness/homelessness.

I think they will choose the former.
anoop

Post by anoop »

There's also some interesting stuff happening in the repo market. It's the same stuff that led them to do "not QE" and lower rates in 2019.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

anoop wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 pm

Hah!

Hold the course...

I suggest trunks full of confederate dollars buried in the backyard. And a good multivitamin to combine with the jerky!

:sharebeer
Indexed Fully!
Bluce

Post by Bluce »

arthurdawg wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 am
anoop wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 pm

Hah!

Hold the course...

I suggest trunks full of confederate dollars buried in the backyard. And a good multivitamin to combine with the jerky!

:sharebeer
I sold all the gold, water, beef jerky, and ammo Sunday night. Went back into stocks first thing Monday morning. So I'm okay for now. :moneybag
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

My goodness, it’s been two weeks since anyone posted to this thread! It had fallen off the first sixteen pages of “active topics”, and I had to search for it under the dead leaves in the middle of the forest.

Today’s action certain seems like at least a controlled descent, if not a free fall. S&P has been grinding lower all morning.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

I think the soaring thread is claiming “underwater soaring” as soaring.

It’s not a free fall…just a climb in the downward direction.

If you do it right you skip off the atmosphere and soar into outer space!
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

I'm not falling, I'm flying down!
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Tamalak wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:18 am I'm not falling, I'm flying down!
I'm always climbing, but sometimes I'm inverted.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

nigel_ht wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:37 pm It’s not a free fall…just a climb in the downward direction.
As Arthur Dent learned:
https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Flying wrote:There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties.
Sigz

Post by Sigz »

Hang on! Will be a nice little drop today!
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I thought a bad economy was good news for stocks? I don't understand...
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Yikes! Seems like everybody got pessimistic during the night.
This time is the same
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

firebirdparts wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:23 am Yikes! Seems like everybody got pessimistic during the night.
All because Japan declared a state of emergency over the Olympics.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Looks like this will.be out hangout spot atleast for today if not rest of week
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

atdharris wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:42 am
firebirdparts wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:23 am Yikes! Seems like everybody got pessimistic during the night.
All because Japan declared a state of emergency over the Olympics.
Not surprising at all, for whatever reason I don't think Japan has distributed a vaccine to much of the population yet
csan

Post by csan »

I forget that the more you have saved(invested) the uglier a 1% drop is
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

csan wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:24 am I forget that the more you have saved(invested) the uglier a 1% drop is
And a 2% drop is twice as ugly, in total dollars.

At least my portfolio is drifting back towards the target bond allocation...
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

ex-US leading the way down, of course.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

My bond funds are doing quite well this week.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

atdharris wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:53 am ex-US leading the way down, of course.
That's diversification for you!