Bonds Don't Make Any Sense Right Now

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
throw123112

Bonds Don't Make Any Sense Right Now

Post by throw123112 »

With the 30 year treasury yield at 2.088% investing in long term bonds right now doesn't make any sense. Same for intermediate treasuries: why would you keep your money locked up at 1.75% for 10 years, basically guaranteeing yourself a 0% or negative real return over that period. If you need liquidity keep cash in your bank account for an emergency fund. I-bonds make a lot of sense given that you aren't taking any duration risk, you can always put this back to the government at par, and they yield an amazing 7% right now. I use them as a savings account substitute given that they also have subpar yields currently. If rates go up, you get whacked on the above referenced 10 year and 30 year bonds. If you hold those to maturity, you get whacked on a very subpar YTM. There are a lot of smart people on this board. I don't understand why there is so much love for bonds at such low interest rates.
chassis

Re: Bonds Don't Make Any Sense Right Now

Post by chassis »

Agreed. So do Warren Buffett, Ray Dalio, Bill Miller and other successful investors.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Where can I buy a million dollars worth of I-bonds right now?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
staustin

Post by staustin »

for the same reason equities made sense at all time historical p/e ratio's. because they have a place in your asset allocation.. the only question for me is duration, not allocation. our bond duration is 2 years and some of it is non-dollar. more concerned about equity valuations quite honestly.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Around half of my fixed income is in stable value which is returning about 1.8% currently which has little risk to the principal with the rest in bond index fund.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Treasury prices rise in crisis/corrections. Cash doesn’t
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

placeholder wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:07 pm Around half of my fixed income is in stable value which is returning about 1.8% currently which has little risk to the principal with the rest in bond index fund.
+1. Essentially same here. 35% Stable Value fund, 65% short/intermediate term bond index fund.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

throw123112 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:36 pm With the 30 year treasury yield at 2.088% investing in long term bonds right now doesn't make any sense. Same for intermediate treasuries: why would you keep your money locked up at 1.75% for 10 years, basically guaranteeing yourself a 0% or negative real return over that period.
Can we look back in history and see when it was a good time to lock up money for 10 years? That is, what data do we use to figure out that yes, NOW we can lock this money up and it's a good idea vs NO it's not a good idea right now?
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

throw123112 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:36 pm With the 30 year treasury yield at 2.088% investing in long term bonds right now doesn't make any sense. Same for intermediate treasuries: why would you keep your money locked up at 1.75% for 10 years, basically guaranteeing yourself a 0% or negative real return over that period. If you need liquidity keep cash in your bank account for an emergency fund. I-bonds make a lot of sense given that you aren't taking any duration risk, you can always put this back to the government at par, and they yield an amazing 7% right now. I use them as a savings account substitute given that they also have subpar yields currently. If rates go up, you get whacked on the above referenced 10 year and 30 year bonds. If you hold those to maturity, you get whacked on a very subpar YTM. There are a lot of smart people on this board. I don't understand why there is so much love for bonds at such low interest rates.
My BIL (bank president) has a motto: "Don't bring me a problem without a solution."
I think it's a silly motto. But it might be useful here.

There are no "solutions", only trade offs.
I think if you listed your proposed solutions, you would immediately see that they came with their own set of unattractive qualities.
Being least ugly will is sometimes the best you can do.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

throw123112 wrote: ... why would you keep your money locked up at 1.75% for 10 years, basically guaranteeing yourself a 0% or negative real return over that period.
Don't you need to know the outcome of inflation for the next 10 years to make that claim?
drumboy256

Post by drumboy256 »

Yes, Bonds don't make any sense right now. Equities, don't really make any sense right now... Crypto--- doesn't make any sense right now. Honestly, unless you're retired, bonds end up adding to force multiplied risk because the markets (equities / bonds / commodities etc.) are no longer following any type of rational pattern or relationship. Even having said that, I'm half expecting someone to come in here and pipe up with "But--- but--- This time its different!" Which, I suppose it is, but why and how? Either way, I take solace in the fact that bonds round out a portfolio of investments that are 10,15,20+ year horizons of which, who cares if bonds don't make any sense now-- they might make sense later. The question is are you willing to bet that not having bonds will help you or hurt you?
Promise is one thing. Fulfilling that promise is quite another. - Sir Alex Ferguson | 20% IVV / 40% IBIT / 20% IXUS / 20% VGLT + chill
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

throw123112 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:36 pm I-bonds make a lot of sense given that you aren't taking any duration risk, you can always put this back to the government at par, and they yield an amazing 7% right now. I use them as a savings account substitute given that they also have subpar yields currently. If rates go up, you get whacked on the above referenced 10 year and 30 year bonds. If you hold those to maturity, you get whacked on a very subpar YTM. There are a lot of smart people on this board. I don't understand why there is so much love for bonds at such low interest rates.
Yeah, I've been wondering how to move half million bonds in my IRA to I-Bonds with amazing 7% rate, the minute I figure that out will have an answer for you. Until then guess I'll have to hold Treasuries and TIPS.

Post by 000 »

All the negative sentiment is a good sign for bonds continuing to soar.
am

Post by am »

Bonds don’t make sense until stocks sell off 40%. Than the real return of -5% for bonds looks real good. :D
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:43 pm Where can I buy a million dollars worth of I-bonds right now?
and that isn't even a particularly large holding.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

am wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:49 am Bonds don’t make sense until stocks sell off 40%. Than the real return of -5% for bonds looks real good. :D
I once won a sailboat race because we were the first boat to toss out the anchor.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:43 pm Where can I buy a million dollars worth of I-bonds right now?
Best I can do for you with 10 seconds of searching:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=368617
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Sign me up to.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
DeliberateDonkey

Post by DeliberateDonkey »

am wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:49 am Bonds don’t make sense until stocks sell off 40%. Than the real return of -5% for bonds looks real good. :D
I'm not sure that I follow. By this logic, the S&P 500 has a real earnings yield of -3%, despite a YTD return of -10%. I don't know if bonds are a good buy today, but to those who say they don't make sense, well, I would ask how much sense the alternatives make.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

throw123112 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:36 pm With the 30 year treasury yield at 2.088% investing in long term bonds right now doesn't make any sense. Same for intermediate treasuries: why would you keep your money locked up at 1.75% for 10 years, basically guaranteeing yourself a 0% or negative real return over that period. If you need liquidity keep cash in your bank account for an emergency fund. I-bonds make a lot of sense given that you aren't taking any duration risk, you can always put this back to the government at par, and they yield an amazing 7% right now. I use them as a savings account substitute given that they also have subpar yields currently. If rates go up, you get whacked on the above referenced 10 year and 30 year bonds. If you hold those to maturity, you get whacked on a very subpar YTM. There are a lot of smart people on this board. I don't understand why there is so much love for bonds at such low interest rates.
I don't think that any investors 'love' the negative real yields of bonds right now. But what's the alternative? Going 100% stock? That may be fine for an accumulator with a decade or longer to go before retiring, but that's unlikely to serve retirees and those soon to be so very well.
The Sensible Steward
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:22 pm I don't think that any investors 'love' the negative real yields of bonds right now. But what's the alternative? Going 100% stock? That may be fine for an accumulator with a decade or longer to go before retiring, but that's unlikely to serve retirees and those soon to be so very well.
or those prone to panic.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:23 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:22 pm I don't think that any investors 'love' the negative real yields of bonds right now. But what's the alternative? Going 100% stock? That may be fine for an accumulator with a decade or longer to go before retiring, but that's unlikely to serve retirees and those soon to be so very well.
or those prone to panic.
It's arguable whether such people should own stocks at all.
The Sensible Steward
mojorisin

Post by mojorisin »

I use my bond allocation for stability in the portfolio. And for rebalancing. like today, as equities drop, sell bond funds, to buy equities "low". Sell equities "high" roll into bond funds. Rinse and repeat.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

mojorisin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:44 pm I use my bond allocation for stability in the portfolio. And for rebalancing. like today, as equities drop, sell bond funds, to buy equities "low". Sell equities "high" roll into bond funds. Rinse and repeat.
Rebalancing is only a risk mitigation strategy. It does not have a mathematically driven expectation for higher returns.
The Sensible Steward
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

Likely, but not guaranteed. Hedge inflation according to the needs of your portfolio; most high stock holders usually do not need inflation hedged bonds. Who cares if you get -2% real return if it is tiny to the risk of stocks. The high fixed income crowd usually do need to worry because high inflation is then a true problem for such a portfolio.

But yes, I-bonds are a very good deal in general as a low-risk investment.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:50 pm
mojorisin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:44 pm I use my bond allocation for stability in the portfolio. And for rebalancing. like today, as equities drop, sell bond funds, to buy equities "low". Sell equities "high" roll into bond funds. Rinse and repeat.
Rebalancing is only a risk mitigation strategy. It does not have a mathematically driven expectation for higher returns.
Right. That is why I focus more on my financial situation to dictate my portfolio than just fixed percentages.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

What about when rebalancing between uncorrelated assets which have the same (expected?) average return? At least a chance for a "bonus" in that case.

But otherwise I agree with you because we are talkinga about stocks and bonds. If stocks outperform bonds over time, rebalancing will cause the portfolio to underperform compared to just letting everything ride.
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

neurosphere wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:51 pm
What about when rebalancing between uncorrelated assets which have the same (expected?) average return? At least a chance for a "bonus" in that case.
There's a chance for a 'bonus' in that situation, but that's obviously not the case with stocks and bonds, whose expected returns are quite different.
The Sensible Steward
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:56 pm
neurosphere wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:51 pm
There's a chance for a 'bonus' in that situation, but that's obviously not the case with stocks and bonds, whose expected returns are quite different.
lol, I know. That's why I also wrote just after "But otherwise I agree with you because we are talking about stocks and bonds." :D I was just being pedantic in pointing out that rebalancing is not "only a risk mitigation strategy" and sometimes is used for other things. There are always likely lots of new BH and novice lurkers reading any given thread. In any case, I agree with all your points! At least, the ones in this thread. :wink: :beer
Doc

Post by Doc »

AlphaLess wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:55 am
Sign me up to.
Will somebody tell me what the difference is between TIPS and I-Bonds other than the "market" restrictions on the I-bonds.

But to answer AlphaLess' question: No where right now I have to wait 'til the market opens in the morning.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

throw123112 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:36 pm There are a lot of smart people on this board. I don't understand why there is so much love for bonds at such low interest rates.
You don't have to love them to appreciate the role they play in your portfolio.
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

Either create 100 revocable trusts OR if you have a spouse front-load for 50 years.

:sharebeer
25% VTI | 25% VXUS | 12.5% AVUV | 10% AVDV | 2.5% VWO | 25% BND/SCHR/SCHP
invest2bfree

Post by invest2bfree »

Yes I agree, I dont see a reason to hold 40% of my assets in bonds which dont even cover inflation.

One warning is if you want to do 100% equities then it needs to be Global Equities and dont tilt.
36% (IRA) - Individual LT Corporate Bonds , 33%(taxable) - schy, 33%(taxable) - SCHD Dividend Growth
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

There is no reason a portfolio of 100% equities must hold ex-US at market cap weight.
coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack »

Why not just wait till their done with the interest rate hikes for the year as they said they plan to do and then buy bonds at a lower NAV and higher interest rate?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

invest2bfree wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:57 pm One warning is if you want to do 100% equities then it needs to be Global Equities and dont tilt.
That's your opinion, and you're entitled to hold it. Others of us think differently.
skierincolorado

Post by skierincolorado »

This comparison to inflation needs to go away. It is not relevant.

All returns are nominal.

Stocks have also had negative real returns over the last six months.

It's entirely possible that stocks will have negative nominal returns and very negative real returns over the next five or even ten years.
Booper

Post by Booper »

coffeeblack wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:24 pm Why not just wait till their done with the interest rate hikes for the year as they said they plan to do and then buy bonds at a lower NAV and higher interest rate?
Because they haven't signed a contract commiting to this course of action. I.e., there is still risk there.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Booper wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:51 pm
coffeeblack wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:24 pm Why not just wait till their done with the interest rate hikes for the year as they said they plan to do and then buy bonds at a lower NAV and higher interest rate?
Because they haven't signed a contract commiting to this course of action. I.e., there is still risk there.
Also, you don't know that if/when the current planned interest rates hikes are finished, what will happen next. Maybe rates will rise further. Maybe they will drop. Nobody knows.
The Sensible Steward
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Doc wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:43 pm
Sign me up to.
Will somebody tell me what the difference is between TIPS and I-Bonds other than the "market" restrictions on the I-bonds.
There are many differences. But the biggest right now is that I bonds' real yield right now is 0%, and that will be maintained until they are redeemed between 1 and 30 years from the date of purchase. TIPS' real yields are negative and have been for some time.
The Sensible Steward
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Sign me up to.

But to answer AlphaLess' question: No where right now I have to wait 'til the market opens in the morning.
Both I-Bonds and TIPs have fixed coupon and inflation yield.

Fixed coupon is fixed at bond's issue.
Inflation yield is determine periodically.

Currently, I-Bond fixed coupon is 0%.
Conceptually, the fixed part of TIP is negative, as evidenced from the "real" yield curve: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-cente ... =realyield

Also, I-Bonds are essentially price-risk free. It is like holding a very short-term bond.

So there are at least two benefits to I-Bonds.

Currently, if you bought $100M of I-Bonds, and hedged with $100M of 5-year TIP, you could lock-in a completely risk-free 1-1.5% yield for 5 years.

In order to get to near-zero yield on the "real" curve, you have to go all the way to 30-years, and even that is negative, with massive price risk.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 pm
Sign me up to.
There are many differences. But the biggest right now is that I bonds' real yield right now is 0%, and that will be maintained until they are redeemed between 1 and 30 years from the date of purchase. TIPS' real yields are negative and have been for some time.
Did not see your answer, and answered the same thing below.

There is also another aspect: I-Bond is like a short-term bond, because it can be redeemed with par plus interest at any time.
30-year TIP has massive price risk, tied to the US treasury yield curve ups-and-downs.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

AlphaLess wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:18 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 pm
Sign me up to.
Did not see your answer, and answered the same thing below.

There is also another aspect: I-Bond is like a short-term bond, because it can be redeemed with par plus interest at any time.
30-year TIP has massive price risk, tied to the US treasury yield curve ups-and-downs.
Yes, I should have mentioned interest rate risk too.
The Sensible Steward
smectym

Post by smectym »

Sign me up to.
Not many can claim the distinction. But a household that had regularly bought I bonds annually, to the maximum limit, over the last 20 years or so, might well have a pile in the high six figures
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

throw123112 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:36 pm I don't understand why there is so much love for bonds at such low interest rates.
Because some people would rather lose a little money instead of a lot of money, and some of those people can only afford to lose a little money instead of a lot of money.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
tryinghard

Post by tryinghard »

I agree! Read am’s post above again!
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

lol. This was my exact thought. Some of us have “scale” problems.

I don’t own them for making money… I own them to prevent me from making stupid emotional mistakes. That alone has saved me more money than they will ever pay in interest.
theac

Post by theac »

Beensabu wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:00 pm
throw123112 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:36 pm I don't understand why there is so much love for bonds at such low interest rates.
Because some people would rather lose a little money instead of a lot of money, and some of those people can only afford to lose a little money instead of a lot of money.
That's the answer!

I prefer to lose "something I'm comfortable with" to inflation,
than "chasing yield" (or rather supposed stock gains),
which starting tomorrow, for all we know, could turn out being massive losses.

Then on the way down, there will be a certain percentage who will panic,
and make some impulsive move, then sell, which they may later regret.
It's happened before and will happen again.

Sounds a bit stressful to me. We only have a limited number of days in a lifetime, and no amount of money can be used to "buy back" those that were stressful or unpleasant.

And I know, EVERYBODY thinks they'll handle a massive drop just fine when it's still just words, but when it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING IN REAL TIME,
and the bullets are whizzing past your ears, and you really don't know how bad this can get--or how long it will last nor how it will end--that's a different story.

So for some, if they're already in a position where they have no need to crawl out of that foxhole, siting back and relaxing, listening to the birds chirp away,
and watching the puffy clouds float by in the sky, is a nice way to pass their remaining days, even with a "known loss" baked into it.

For others, maximum gains is all that matters, and sometimes it works out,
and sometimes it don't.

Of course a lot of this also depends on where you are in your life at the time.
If you're young and in the accumulating stage, then certain risks need to be taken
that you may not need to be taking if you're on the other end of the scale.

And even if losing a lot of your portfolio isn't going to hurt you too badly and you've got a pension and Social Security with which you can still maintain a comfortable life, watching you nest egg shrink a lot would not be a pleasant experience.
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha (a George Harrison song)
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

smectym wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:58 pm
Sign me up to.
Not many can claim the distinction. But a household that had regularly bought I bonds annually, to the maximum limit, over the last 20 years or so, might well have a pile in the high six figures
Indeed:
- 2 persons,
- $10K each (maybe $15 each),
- 30 year's accumulation.

That is 2 * 10 * 30 = $600K.

Do you know if I-bonds grow compounded?
If so, then the actual number will be higher than that.

In the current environment, even the EE bonds can be bundled there too (with a 20-year horizon).
20-year nominal treasury yield is lower than 3.5.
And 20-year inflation expectation is lower than 3.5 too.