Fidelity or Morgan Stanley

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
VTAbound

Fidelity or Morgan Stanley

Post by VTAbound »

I would appreciate some advice on choosing a financial advisor through an entity like Fidelity or Morgan Stanley? Pro's and Con's.

Thank you in advance
livesoft

Re: Fidelity or Morgan Stanley

Post by livesoft »

Pros work for Fidelity.
Cons work for Morgan Stanley.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sport

Post by sport »

Either of those options is likely to be very expensive. As an alternative, I would suggest Vanguard's Personal Advisor Service. The cost there is 0.30% of assets under management and they will use inexpensive Vanguard Funds. Fidelity and MS will charge a higher fee, and use more expensive investments, so they get you coming and going.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

There are lots of good prior threads reviewing brokerages. Around here, you'll see Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard mentioned most often, as they are the low cost brokerages that let you manage your own money. All three of these have different types of plans where you can get help from a financial advisor, and different fee structures that support that.

Morgan Stanley is going to be, imho, a higher fee solution, and if your FA is not restrained, will make a mess of your portfolio (I recently had to unwind one for a relative). Of course, the other brokerage houses aforementioned could do the same, but they also have very low cost DIY options that aren't the bread and butter of the Morgan Stanley's of the world.
CABob

Post by CABob »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:57 pm Pros work for Fidelity.
+1 :twisted:
Bob
mkc

Post by mkc »

CABob wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:00 pm
livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:57 pm Pros work for Fidelity.
+1 :twisted:
^ exactly ^

We know someone that is a Morgan Stanley VP salesman. Run away! You would not believe the portfolio overcomplication and churn, plus babble-talk with one of their "advisors"
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

Definitely not Morgan Stanley
student

Post by student »

I agreed with others one should avoid Morgan Stanley. For Fidelity, are you thinking about Wealth Management or the cheaper Fidelity Personalized Planning and Advice with Digital investing and financial coaching?
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

Vanguard, Schwab, or Fidelity