Suggestion for moderators - have sub forums based on net worth?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Jimsad

Suggestion for moderators - have sub forums based on net worth?

Post by Jimsad »

This thought occurred to me a few times and I want to see what others think
I noticed that there are people with vastly different networths ranging up to 100 million on this forum
So when somebody with a high networth like >10 million posts a question , may not get relevant advise from some people and In fact get snarky comments like ‘why are you still working’ from Some who do not understand some of the issues faced by these people .
Even though the basic principles of investing may be the same for all levels of wealth , at very high networth levels like 30 million or more , the issues may be more complex

So how about sub forums based on net worth at least for the very high net worth folks
sailaway

Re: Suggestion for moderators - have sub forums based on networth ?

Post by sailaway »

Since most of us read based on recent posts, the sub forums are more for general organization to make looking for something easier and won't have much effect on what you are observing.
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

It’s the Internet. If you claim to have $10M and post questions in a public forum you’re going to get noise. I don’t think chopping the forums will help but it will make things more complicated.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

This seems to be a lot of work for zero return. Rich people are not the only ones to give rich people advice, etc.

And to other's points, no way to verify.

If you have a net worth of 1 million you should WANT to study up on those with 10+ million.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I’m certain I learn a lot from everyone here regardless of net worth. I wouldn’t want to see them broken up because it will just make posts harder to search for and read.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

One of the key distinctions of the BH philosophy is that it changes very little if at all based on net worth. A 3 fund portfolio works as well at $100m as at $10k. There’s exceptions such as estate planning; an estate planning sub forum may not be a bad idea. But other than that no thanks.
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

I think that issue would be best addressed by the OP stating in their title/question "For those of you with net worth north of 100MM...what does your butler say the best yacht wax is?"

Because some of us are not worth 100MM, yet, but we plan to be, and knowing the best yacht wax in advance can save us looking silly at the yacht store.

I would rather see a "5% Funny Money" forum where people can talk about that stuff without the snide remarks from the zealots.

TNWoods
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

sailaway wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:59 pm Since most of us read based on recent posts, ....
I was going to ask: "What's a sub forum?"
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

I do understand the unacceptable "snarky" responses you may get from having a super high net worth, but I think you shouldn't shortchange the high level of advice given on this forum from people who have significantly less networth's. Most professional money managers that give paid advice to ultra high net worth individuals, more than likely have less than 2 million dollars themselves.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Of course, there is already the "Private Select Invitation-only" sub forum that only a few people know about since it does not appear publicly.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I think this is one of the worst ideas I've read in a long time.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

TNWoods wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:17 pm I think that issue would be best addressed by the OP stating in their title/question "For those of you with net worth north of 100MM...what does your butler say the best yacht wax is?"

Because some of us are not worth 100MM, yet, but we plan to be, and knowing the best yacht wax in advance can save us looking silly at the yacht store.

I would rather see a "5% Funny Money" forum where people can talk about that stuff without the snide remarks from the zealots.

TNWoods
FYI, the best yacht wax is whatever the dock neighbor's hired hand or your yacht service company is using. Waxing is one of the first things even those of us with mere boats hire out, at least for the hull.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

How would one qualify to post in these sub forums? Would it require letters of patent or would a notorized document of net worth suffice?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If you go to the MrMoneyMustache forum, there are "Race to $$$amount" threads. I started the "Race from $2M to $4M and Beyond" thread and there's another that goes beyond that. Above $4M, the threads are pretty dead.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Weathering

Post by Weathering »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:20 pm Of course, there is already the "Private Select Invitation-only" sub forum that only a few people know about since it does not appear publicly.
Shhhhhhh....
Topic Author
Jimsad

Post by Jimsad »

Nate79 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:21 pm I think this is one of the worst ideas I've read in a long time.
Make some suggestions then how to get rid of the snarky comments from people who have no grasp of the issue being discussed without having to put up with them
Expro

Post by Expro »

Jimsad wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:27 pm
Nate79 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:21 pm I think this is one of the worst ideas I've read in a long time.
Make some suggestions then how to get rid of the snarky comments from people who have no grasp of the issue being discussed without having to put up with them
Bogleheads is easily the most polite non-snarky forums in existence. Seriously.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Click the "Report this post" button, and mark as rude or offensive, and add comments if necessary. The moderators will decide.

If you had a HNW sub category, you might actually attract more snarky people. Maybe I'm just not reading the same posts as you, but I don't recall that many negative responses to those with higher net worths.
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

You seem to be suggesting we should replace some snarky comments with snobbery. The "very high net worth folks" shouldn't have to hang out with people who have to buy Wellington in Investor shares. Of course, people buying Wellington may have the same issues whether they buy Investor or Admiral shares (other posters have already basically mentioned this).
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Oh, I don't know about that. OP may be onto something. Create a subforum for the newly "rich" who want to keep the "riff-raff" out. Charge a 0.01% annual fee based upon "claimed" net worth. That financial support would be appreciated by the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, I'm sure! :happy
goingup

Post by goingup »

I'd say ignore the remarks, or respond with humor. Bill Bernstein had the best response a few days ago to a poster who nitpicked (incorrectly) his article on the Humble Dollar blog for typographical errors. He said, "I always enjoy hearing from the grammar police :wink:".
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:45 pm
Oh, I don't know about that. OP may be onto something. Create a subforum for the newly "rich" who want to keep the "riff-raff" out. Charge a 0.01% annual fee based upon "claimed" net worth. That financial support would be appreciated by the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, I'm sure! :happy
And sell the mailing list to Ken Fisher.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:20 pm Of course, there is already the "Private Select Invitation-only" sub forum that only a few people know about since it does not appear publicly.
This sub forum is ONLY available to BHers that search the overall forum before asking certain questions:

- is international diversified?

- is it time to get out of bonds?
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Expro wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:38 pm
Bogleheads is easily the most polite non-snarky forums in existence. Seriously.
Don't like a comment? Simply scroll on. One of the best things about internet forums.
UpperNwGuy

Re: Suggestion for moderators - have sub forums based on net worth?

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Jimsad wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:55 pm So how about sub forums based on net worth at least for the very high net worth folks
Bad idea. I vote no.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

You just can't have that on a public internet forum.
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

As crazy as this sounds I think there should be a separation of accumulaters and retirees. I once read here a guy continually giving advice to a retiree only later to find out he was 37..... Two different worlds.
Marseille07

Re: Suggestion for moderators - have sub forums based on net worth?

Post by Marseille07 »

How is this even enforceable? We have to upload W-2, 1099-B etc etc? Self-proclaiming membership won't work.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

ScooterBob wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:53 pm As crazy as this sounds I think there should be a separation of accumulaters and retirees. I once read here a guy continually giving advice to a retiree only later to find out he was 37..... Two different worlds.
What's wrong with giving advice even if they're an accumulator? It doesn't mean they only have bad advice or vice versa.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A subforum based on net worth is not going to happen.

(Thread locked to end the discussion.)

This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum. I also fixed a spelling typo in the thread title - "networth" to "net worth".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.