Vanguard China Select Stock Fund

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Vanguard China Select Stock Fund

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

Press release: Vanguard Announces Plans to Launch Active China Equity Fund
Vanguard today filed an initial registration statement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to introduce Vanguard China Select Stock Fund. The fund will invest in both onshore and offshore Chinese equities and is intended for clients seeking actively managed, high-alpha-target equity exposure to complement a broadly diversified portfolio. Vanguard expects to launch the fund in the first quarter of 2022.
Vanguard believes that exposure to China is an important part of both the equity and fixed income allocations of a globally diversified portfolio. China is a significant and growing portion of the global equity market, representing the second largest nation by GDP output and the third largest country by market capitalization. With the China Select Stock Fund, Vanguard seeks to provide risk-tolerant investors with a targeted approach to exposure in the region. The fund will seek to outperform the MSCI China All Shares Index and have estimated expense ratios of 0.83% for Investor Shares and 0.73% for Admiral Shares, compared with an average expense ratio of 1.14% for competing funds.
The fund will be co-managed by long-tenured Vanguard fund advisors Wellington Management Company LLP and Baillie Gifford Overseas Ltd. Both firms have deep portfolio management experience and expertise in China and a track record of outperformance in Chinese equity markets. Vanguard’s confidence in these firms is underscored by existing and successful partnerships, as well as their track records of delivering value to Vanguard shareholders.
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Taylor Larimore

Re: Vanguard China Select Stock Fund

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Thanks, but I'll pass on the China fund for these reasons:

* Chinese stocks are ALREADY in Vanguard Total Market International Index Fund.

* Fund is managed. The evidence is clear (see SPIVA) that most managed funds underperform most index funds.

* High cost. A minimum of 0.70% a year.

* Strive for "Simplicity"

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's words of wisdom: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success. -- We ignore the real diamonds of simplicity, seeking instead the illusory rhinestones of complexity."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

I find it strange that Vanguard has a general push to ETFs (for very good reasons) but they are not offering this as an ETF. ??? (As far as I can tell, this is going to be offered to retail investors while the other "Select" funds are only for Personal Advisor Service clients.)
Powered by chocolate!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Yet another new high cost Vanguard fund that is actively managed. What on earth is going on in Malvern, PA? What kinds of customers are they trying to attract? It sure isn't bogleheads.

Meanwhile, I'm one of those bogleheads who seeks to avoid China in his portfolio.
roth evangelist

Post by roth evangelist »

I wish they could offer an international value factor fund that complements VFVA before their first country-focused fund.

Post by 000 »

sunnywindy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:24 pm I find it strange that Vanguard has a general push to ETFs (for very good reasons) but they are not offering this as an ETF. ??? (As far as I can tell, this is going to be offered to retail investors while the other "Select" funds are only for Personal Advisor Service clients.)
I also find this strange. It almost seems like no one is charge of the ship, which is being pulled in multiple directions.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:51 pm
sunnywindy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:24 pm I find it strange that Vanguard has a general push to ETFs (for very good reasons) but they are not offering this as an ETF. ??? (As far as I can tell, this is going to be offered to retail investors while the other "Select" funds are only for Personal Advisor Service clients.)
I also find this strange. It almost seems like no one is charge of the ship, which is being pulled in multiple directions.
I will take a guess.

ETFs tend to require more liquidity than mutual funds. Everything in the basket needs to be bought or sold in short order. Not sure you can do this with China's capital controls.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:32 pm Yet another new high cost Vanguard fund that is actively managed. What on earth is going on in Malvern, PA? What kinds of customers are they trying to attract? It sure isn't bogleheads.
Maybe. In order for passive index funds to work you need a efficient market. China's market is distorted by the government priorities. There are also issues with the index.

This is one of the few areas that I would consider an active manager over a passive fund.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Vanguard does have some factor-based ETFs but no traditional actively managed funds as ETFs.

Post by 000 »

alex_686 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 pm I will take a guess.

ETFs tend to require more liquidity than mutual funds. Everything in the basket needs to be bought or sold in short order. Not sure you can do this with China's capital controls.
Can't the ETF do in-kind redemptions for APs?

Wouldn't the APs already have to be financial institutions approved for A shares by the CCP?

A more probable reason is Vanguard doesn't want daily disclosures.
Northern Flicker

It is much more difficult for the AP to arbitrage the NAV and ETF market price when the portfolio is a moving target (ie is actively managed).
radlink54

Post by radlink54 »

I find this offering very amusing. I have one half of my holding with Fidelity. The other half I kept with VG because I thought they believed in the Bogle approach, and even if the website brokerage etc is lacking vis a vis Fido or Schwab, I thought they still believed in low cost offerings. But their website sucks, and their web based trading platform is way behind Fido or Schwab.

Over the past 20 years Fido and Schwab have moved to more and more low cost ETF and funds that mirror what "used to be" their VG competition. I can find Fido offerings that equal or surpass VG in low cost index offerings.

Meanwhile VG has continued to offer a less robust online interface. Maybe OK if they stick to their roots. But every new product is a higher cost managed offering that looks like something Fidelity or Schwab could have come up with in the 1990's.

As someone else posted...Bogle would be not be impressed. Maybe it will attract the millennials, but it is making this boomer decide to consolidate with Fido or Schwab.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:12 pm Can't the ETF do in-kind redemptions for APs?

Wouldn't the APs already have to be financial institutions approved for A shares by the CCP?

A more probable reason is Vanguard doesn't want daily disclosures.
I am not 100% sure on this. I think my answer is more probable. This is based reading the tea leaves on where DAF choses to use mutual funds verse ETFs. I would be happy to hear some concert evidence one way or the other.

How fast can a AP grab the underlying basket of shares and ship them off to the US? How fast can they ship them back and sell them in the open market? What fees are involved?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Mortimer J. Buckley is eroding the Vanguard brand.

Does anybody seriously think Vanguard investors need a China fund to "give them the best chance for investment success?"

How long before the first forum thread on "Why not 100% China Select?"
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Post by 000 »

alex_686 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:25 pm I am not 100% sure on this. I think my answer is more probable. This is based reading the tea leaves on where DAF choses to use mutual funds verse ETFs. I would be happy to hear some concert evidence one way or the other.

How fast can a AP grab the underlying basket of shares and ship them off to the US? How fast can they ship them back and sell them in the open market? What fees are involved?
Well, there are US listed ETFs which include stocks that only trade on Chinese exchanges and they seem to work somehow.
reln

Post by reln »

Barry Barnitz wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:49 pm Hi:

Press release: Vanguard Announces Plans to Launch Active China Equity Fund
Vanguard today filed an initial registration statement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to introduce Vanguard China Select Stock Fund. The fund will invest in both onshore and offshore Chinese equities and is intended for clients seeking actively managed, high-alpha-target equity exposure to complement a broadly diversified portfolio. Vanguard expects to launch the fund in the first quarter of 2022.
Vanguard believes that exposure to China is an important part of both the equity and fixed income allocations of a globally diversified portfolio. China is a significant and growing portion of the global equity market, representing the second largest nation by GDP output and the third largest country by market capitalization. With the China Select Stock Fund, Vanguard seeks to provide risk-tolerant investors with a targeted approach to exposure in the region. The fund will seek to outperform the MSCI China All Shares Index and have estimated expense ratios of 0.83% for Investor Shares and 0.73% for Admiral Shares, compared with an average expense ratio of 1.14% for competing funds.
The fund will be co-managed by long-tenured Vanguard fund advisors Wellington Management Company LLP and Baillie Gifford Overseas Ltd. Both firms have deep portfolio management experience and expertise in China and a track record of outperformance in Chinese equity markets. Vanguard’s confidence in these firms is underscored by existing and successful partnerships, as well as their track records of delivering value to Vanguard shareholders.
Exciting news.
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

alex_686 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 pm
000 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:51 pm
I also find this strange. It almost seems like no one is in charge of the ship, which is being pulled in multiple directions.
I will take a guess.

That's a good guess. Probably the "Select" name connotates 35 to 45 holdings and maybe some of those are too illiquid for the ETF structure. I wonder if one of the active non-transparent ETF structures would work? (I know Vanguard would be loath to pay anyone to use their structure, so it probably won't happen.)

This actively managed transparent ETF - Raylient Quantimental China Equity ETF (RAYC) - has about 130 holdings and about the same price as Vanguard. https://funds.rayliant.com/ So far, good performance versus the index.
Powered by chocolate!
Northern Flicker

nisiprius wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:30 pm Mortimer J. Buckley is eroding the Vanguard brand.
In 2021, DC retirement plans like 401Ks had 27% of their assets in index funds. I'm pretty sure Vanguard is not one of the market share leaders in the other 73%. I don't see how creating actively managed funds that are cheaper than those of their competition erodes the brand.
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 000 »

I also have to wonder what kind of investor would use this fund instead of the existing Vanguard Emerging Markets Select Stock Fund (VMMSX, 0.85% ER, 301 stocks), which includes Wellington Management Company LLP and Baillie Gifford Overseas Ltd. as two of its four manager firms.

I guess it allows investors to select their level of China exposure? In that case Vanguard might want to consider adding an ex-China EM fund, as both EMXC and XCEM use a different EM index than Vanguard which has some overlap with DM (notably, South Korea).
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

Hard pass. I’ve somehow managed to meet all of my investment goals without high fees, active management or investments in China.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

It is possible that Vanguard is evolving, changing and adapting to what it perceives to be its future, offering low cost index and low cost managed funds, so what is the big deal? It's also about gathering AUM, so throw a big net out to bring in the $$.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
TurtleBeatsHare

Post by TurtleBeatsHare »

I’d like to know the share types and exchanges on which this fund will invest and whether they will be given special dispensation from the Chinese government to invest in certain types of equity for which foreign entities requires special permission. The Chinese market is significantly underweighted in more or less all indices because of the presence of SOEs, limitations on foreign purchasing of certain share types, or limitations on foreign ownership interest to a certain percentage of equity or the indices have internal limitations to only trading on certain types of exchanges, like Hong Kong vs Shanghai or Beijing or Shenzhen. Considering GDP and these restrictions, the world is highly underweight on China (or not, depending on one’s theory of what an appropriate weight is).
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Personally, I have less than zero interest in this, but it doesn't exactly make me mad that they choose to offer it. Do Bogleheads want Vanguard to offer exclusively 4 total market index funds? Everything they either do or don't do seems to infuriate someone these days. I don't get it. Bogleheads are seeking out the headlines no matter how obscure and stirring the pot. Then we make the logical leap that because they announce they will offer it, they'll be strongly pushing John and Jane Q. Investor into it. If you didn't realize, Vanguard is also a brokerage (some/many might say a crappy one), so in that sense, they "offer" almost everything that's investable already. Well, except leveraged ETFs and crypto, and that fact also infuriates a subset on the boards who think Vanguard is a nanny state. But if they did offer, it would upset another subset. I need to start keeping track of how many times someone makes a reference to what Jack Bogle would think or even say he's rolling over in his grave. Both are an appeal to (deceased) authority. Tacky!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:38 pm Bogleheads:

Thanks, but I'll pass on the China fund for these reasons:

* Chinese stocks are ALREADY in Vanguard Total Market International Index Fund.

* Fund is managed. The evidence is clear (see SPIVA) that most managed funds underperform most index funds.

* High cost. A minimum of 0.70% a year.

* Strive for "Simplicity"

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's words of wisdom: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success. -- We ignore the real diamonds of simplicity, seeking instead the illusory rhinestones of complexity."
Well said.
Great points.

This is one of those posts and quotes that should be printed out and taped to the office or bathroom door.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
stan1

Post by stan1 »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:38 pm I also have to wonder what kind of investor would use this fund instead of the existing Vanguard Emerging Markets Select Stock Fund (VMMSX, 0.85% ER, 301 stocks), which includes Wellington Management Company LLP and Baillie Gifford Overseas Ltd. as two of its four manager firms.

I guess it allows investors to select their level of China exposure? In that case Vanguard might want to consider adding an ex-China EM fund, as both EMXC and XCEM use a different EM index than Vanguard which has some overlap with DM (notably, South Korea).
I just thought the same thing, could Vanguard add the China Select fund and then subsequently change the investment objective of VMMSX to be ex-China EM? Vanguard is presumably responding to some perceived customer demand. Seems like at least right now there is more demand for ex China than China. With "only" $974M in assets Vanguard can't be ecstatic about VMMSX.

As for high ER EM funds go, if these funds help attract assets to Vanguard that generate revenue to pay the costs of the free brokerage service I use I'm OK with that. At some point people take personal accountability for their decisions. Relative low cost active funds have had a place on equal footing with index funds at Vanguard since the beginning when Wellington was brought in. If someone wants to make the choice to invest in an active EM fund the 0.85% ER funds at Vanguard are much less expensive than competing EM active funds.

Post by 000 »

stan1 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:05 pm I just thought the same thing, could Vanguard add the China Select fund and then subsequently change the investment objective of VMMSX to be ex-China EM? Vanguard is presumably responding to some perceived customer demand. Seems like at least right now there is more demand for ex China than China. With "only" $974M in assets Vanguard can't be ecstatic about VMMSX.
I can definitely see that happening.

Also curious that they already have admiral shares planned for this new China fund, but there are none for VMMSX.

Just speculating, but maybe they're going to include it in some fund-of-funds or a model portfolio so they anticipate more demand? :confused
talzara

Post by talzara »

Northern Flicker wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:10 pm Vanguard does have some factor-based ETFs but no traditional actively managed funds as ETFs.
Here's the list of all Vanguard ETFs: https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/list#/

Even the expensive ETFs have much lower expense ratios, and they're not actively managed:
  • International High Dividend Yield (0.28%) is based on a FTSE index.
  • Emerging Markets Government Bond (0.25%) is based on a Bloomberg index.
  • U.S. Multifactor (0.19%) comes close to being actively-managed, but it is a quantitative fund. A computer model selects the investments.
All of these have expense ratios much lower than China Select Stock's 0.70%.
talzara

Post by talzara »

TurtleBeatsHare wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:03 pm I’d like to know the share types and exchanges on which this fund will invest and whether they will be given special dispensation from the Chinese government to invest in certain types of equity for which foreign entities requires special permission. The Chinese market is significantly underweighted in more or less all indices because of the presence of SOEs, limitations on foreign purchasing of certain share types, or limitations on foreign ownership interest to a certain percentage of equity or the indices have internal limitations to only trading on certain types of exchanges, like Hong Kong vs Shanghai or Beijing or Shenzhen. Considering GDP and these restrictions, the world is highly underweight on China (or not, depending on one’s theory of what an appropriate weight is).
You can't weight by GDP even if you wanted to. Germany is also underweight, but how would you buy the rest of Germany's GDP? Most of the German Mittelstand companies are family-owned.

Germany is 4.5% of gross world product but only 2.4% of Vanguard Total World Index.

China is 17% of gross world product but only 4.4% of Vanguard Total World Index.

The United States is 25% of gross world product but 57.2% of Vanguard Total World Index.
Northern Flicker

talzara wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:53 pm
Northern Flicker wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:10 pm Vanguard does have some factor-based ETFs but no traditional actively managed funds as ETFs.
Here's the list of all Vanguard ETFs: https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/list#/

Even the expensive ETFs have much lower expense ratios, and they're not actively managed:
  • International High Dividend Yield (0.28%) is based on a FTSE index.
  • Emerging Markets Government Bond (0.25%) is based on a Bloomberg index.
  • U.S. Multifactor (0.19%) comes close to being actively-managed, but it is a quantitative fund. A computer model selects the investments.
All of these have expense ratios much lower than China Select Stock's 0.70%.
Yes. My point was just that Vanguard does not have actively managed ETFs, which you reiterated. Traditional active management is more expensive than running an index fund or quantitative factor-based fund.

The new China fund does not interest me in any case. It clearly is intended to compete with other actively managed Chinese equity funds. Fidelity's offering has an ER of 0.93%.
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a "No politics" forum. I removed an off-topic post. As a reminder, see: Politics and Religion
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TurtleBeatsHare

Post by TurtleBeatsHare »

talzara wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:54 pm
TurtleBeatsHare wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:03 pm I’d like to know the share types and exchanges on which this fund will invest and whether they will be given special dispensation from the Chinese government to invest in certain types of equity for which foreign entities requires special permission. The Chinese market is significantly underweighted in more or less all indices because of the presence of SOEs, limitations on foreign purchasing of certain share types, or limitations on foreign ownership interest to a certain percentage of equity or the indices have internal limitations to only trading on certain types of exchanges, like Hong Kong vs Shanghai or Beijing or Shenzhen. Considering GDP and these restrictions, the world is highly underweight on China (or not, depending on one’s theory of what an appropriate weight is).
You can't weight by GDP even if you wanted to. Germany is also underweight, but how would you buy the rest of Germany's GDP? Most of the German Mittelstand companies are family-owned.

Germany is 4.5% of gross world product but only 2.4% of Vanguard Total World Index.

China is 17% of gross world product but only 4.4% of Vanguard Total World Index.

The United States is 25% of gross world product but 57.2% of Vanguard Total World Index.
Conceivably, you could overpurchase a particular index. For example, if Germany was 5% of global GDP but 2.5% of global equity, you could buy a German-specific index at 2x. Now, that would overweight the individual companies and would not buy exposure to the portion of German GDP not represented in equity markets, but it might solve problems associated with underexposure to Germany-wide factors, like central bank policy (to the extent this is still directed at the national and not EU level). But it would create risks associated with over exposure to particular companies and might not even solve the underexposure to Germany to the extent that German companies depend upon performance outside of Germany. I’m not recommending this; just mentioning it as an idea.

In the context of China, however, it’s sometimes the case that large portions of their GDP are not captured by equity markets (eg state owned enterprises) or companies that fund through bank loans vs equity investment (a far more common practice in China). However, there are substantial portions of Chinese GDP that are represented by equity—but either have semi-waivable restrictions on foreign ownership or limitations on foreign ownership percentage or are only traded on certain exchanges. I’d have to double check since I last looked at this, but my impression was that most indices tracked the H shares sold in Hong Kong and that inclusion of B shares and A shares (traded on mainland exchanges) was spottier. To even buy an A share, an investor has to be QII (Qualified Inst Investor) and even then, iirc, there were percentage limitations. B shares were more widely available to foreign investment, but again the fund had to be willing to operate in the mainland exchanges. China recently amended their foreign investing law, and so I don’t know the exact lay of the land now. My point, however, is that there is a portion (likely substantial) portion of China’s GDP that is represented in equity markets and yet isn’t well captured in some indices. So I’d be interested in knowing whether this actively managed fund will be capable of solving the underweighting problem that used to (and I suspect still does) exist in the all world or ex US indices at Vanguard. That might be worth paying a higher fee.

Finally, your GDP figures are arguably off for China and US because you don’t appear to be adjusting for Chinese currency manipulation. If you adjust using PPP methods, China’s GDP is as large as (and likely exceeds) US GDP.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

Was Burton Malkiel reappointed to Vanguard's board? Investors Need To Own More China, says Malkiel. As he's been beating the drum that investors are underweight China for a while, Malkiel might like this fund.

For myself, however much of Chinese companies are in total world is plenty for me. Broadest reasonable diversification at lowest feasible cost is the select investment strategy for me.
Regards, | | Guy
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

asset_chaos wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:38 pm Was Burton Malkiel reappointed to Vanguard's board? Investors Need To Own More China, says Malkiel. As he's been beating the drum that investors are underweight China for a while, Malkiel might like this fund...
Indeed. Back in 2007...

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

What's disturbing to me about Vanguard's new China fund it is that it seems so trendy or gimmicky or something.

It seems like chasing headlines.

I'm imagining a conference room, "China's in the news all the time, I betcha we are getting lots of calls from people asking about China. Everyone's got an opinion about China. Pro or con, they're engaged. Either they want to invest in China or they want to avoid investing in China. I couldn't care less which side we take, a China fund, an ex-China fund, hey maybe both, but let's do something with China."

I just can't imagine someone saying "To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success, right? Well, how can they possibly get the best chance for investment success if we don't give them an actively managed China fund?"

Vanguard has funds for every one of the nine style boxes, and funds for every one of the eleven sectors.

Now if they had said "to complement our single-country US funds, we are announcing a new line of thirteen single-country index funds covering every country that has more than 1% of global market cap," I would have said "not my thing, but at least I get it." Serve the Canadians with a Canada fund, etc.

Or if it had at least been an index fund, FTSE has plenty of FTSE's China indexes--I'm too ignorant to know which is the obvious one.
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

Wall Street's DNA is to be a new product machine, whether or not new funds are needed. The China Fund might be an indication Vanguard is gravitating this way. (But, you can easily make the argument that China is the second-largest economy in the world and Vanguard needed to have a product for that very reason.)

Why might this have happened? I think it is as simple as the index fund division is Hoovering up gigantic sums of money and is largely on auto-pilot. The other active funds are doing well also, in terms of asset gathering and performance. So, what's a company or Board of Directors to do? Create something new - this always happens when a company is doing well they go for overreach instead of just staying put.

While I think Wellington and Baille-Gifford are excellent sub-advisors, I'd rather buy a China Fund from specialists like Mathews Asia or Ralient before I would go for Vanguard.