Morningstar Unblocks Analyst Ratings/Reports for JP Morgan Asset Management

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
sunnywindy

Morningstar Unblocks Analyst Ratings/Reports for JP Morgan Asset Management

Post by sunnywindy »

I recently noticed that Morningstar now allows anyone to view the Morningstar Analyst Report for JP Morgan Asset Management products (both mutual fund and ETF); this applies to both the human-written Analyst Reports and newer robot-written "Q" Reports. The Morningstar Rating Shield is also visible on the fund's main page whereas this is usually not visible to non-paying members.

Here is a human written example: https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/jemsx/quote
Here is a robot-written example: https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/bats/jema/quote

Most likely, JP Morgan has an agreement with Morningstar to allow anyone to view the reports (and some money was exchanged!). If the reports are good (as they usually are for JP Morgan Asset Management), then this might be a wise marketing effort by JP Morgan because now everyone can see that an independent source rates their funds highly, etc..etc...

This information could be useful for someone who has a 401k, but few choices - the Analysis Report could be the decider to put money into a JP Morgan fund versus other brands.

I wonder if more companies will do this?