Anybody having SMS 2F issues today?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
dcabler

Anybody having SMS 2F issues today?

Post by dcabler »

Hi BH'ers
This morning, I'm not receiving any text messages for 2F from any of the institutions where I have this enabled. In a couple of cases, they give other options for how to receive the code via email or phone. That seems to work. Wife can still send me text messages through SMS so SMS itself doesn't appear to be the issue.
When I do log in to each account, nothing in my profile has changed, though to be safe I changed all passwords anyway.
I'm seeing this with Fidelity, Vanguard, and HealthEquity.
On the other hand AT&T was able to send me a code to sign into my mobile account...

This isn't to start another thread on SIM Swaps and how SMS based 2F isn't as secure as other methods or a recommendation for other methods. Just want to know if anybody else who uses SMS 2F is having this issue this morning.

Cheers.

Update: The dam seems to have burst and I now have a bunch of texts with 6digit codes from all of the places where I hold accounts.
Last edited by dcabler on Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
anon_investor

Re: Anybody having SMS 2F issues today?

Post by anon_investor »

dcabler wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:56 am Hi BH'ers
This morning, I'm not receiving any text messages for 2F from any of the institutions where I have this enabled. In a couple of cases, they give other options for how to receive the code via email or phone. That seems to work. Wife can still send me text messages through SMS so SMS itself doesn't appear to be the issue.
When I do log in to each account, nothing in my profile has changed, though to be safe I changed all passwords anyway.
I'm seeing this with Fidelity, Vanguard, and HealthEquity.

This isn't to start another thread on SIM Swaps and how SMS based 2F isn't as secure as other methods. Just want to know if anybody else is having this issue this morning.

Cheers.
I use the Symantec VIP authenticator app at Fidelity, so there are never SMS 2FA issues...
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

By any chance are you a T-Mobile customer? There are quite a number of reports of outages in the last twelve to twenty-four hours, perhaps you're suffering a network issue.

ETA: never mind, just saw you said you were AT&T. Perhaps you might check around to see if they're also having problems.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

I’m on AT&T and having a similar issue….very strange…I didn’t think 2FA was carrier specific?

Are they filtering potential spam by accident and is there a way to delete the filter?
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

Experienced an issue with ATT and 2F auth on capital one. Sent the code to my phone 3 times. It was delayed by about 15 minutes. I ended up using another method of 2F auth instead.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Nathan Drake wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:41 am I’m on AT&T and having a similar issue….very strange…I didn’t think 2FA was carrier specific?

Are they filtering potential spam by accident and is there a way to delete the filter?
bubbly wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:45 am Experienced an issue with ATT and 2F auth on capital one. Sent the code to my phone 3 times. It was delayed by about 15 minutes. I ended up using another method of 2F auth instead.
It sounds like AT&T is have a network issue deliverying SMS vs. just a SMS 2FA issue.
Topic Author
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

See update in my original post...