How to get I-bonds with tax return - if I can't overpay due to credit

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
kxl19

How to get I-bonds with tax return - if I can't overpay due to credit

Post by kxl19 »

I'd like to buy my allotment of i bonds in next year's tax return.

In previous years, I've overpaid so that I'd have enough for the $5k in paper bonds.

However, this year, we have a EV tax credit which is not "rollable", so I need to ensure I have at least a $7500 tax liability to absorb the credit (I'll likely have this excess liability + more).

Is it still possible for me to get Ibonds if I have a balance due? IS there some strategy where I could have the liability (if that includes the $7500 credit, then overpay my balance + $5k, and then file for an extension?
whodidntante

Re: How to get I-bonds with tax return - if I can't overpay due to credit

Post by whodidntante »

Mock tax return! No, don't make fun of your tax return. Pretend like you are filing both of the situations you care about, and see what you learn.
soxfan10

Post by soxfan10 »

Just make a large deposit like usual.

Credits are based on actual tax as computed... not the amount due.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

kxl19 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:28 pm I'd like to buy my allotment of i bonds in next year's tax return.

In previous years, I've overpaid so that I'd have enough for the $5k in paper bonds.

However, this year, we have a EV tax credit which is not "rollable", so I need to ensure I have at least a $7500 tax liability to absorb the credit (I'll likely have this excess liability + more).

Is it still possible for me to get Ibonds if I have a balance due? IS there some strategy where I could have the liability (if that includes the $7500 credit, then overpay my balance + $5k, and then file for an extension?
Common misunderstanding of non-refundable tax credits…

See this thread with detailed explanation.

viewtopic.php?p=6256328#p6256328

viewtopic.php?p=6256362#p6256362
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
Topic Author
kxl19

Post by kxl19 »

RubyTuesday wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:25 pm
kxl19 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:28 pm I'd like to buy my allotment of i bonds in next year's tax return.

Common misunderstanding of non-refundable tax credits…

See this thread with detailed explanation.

viewtopic.php?p=6256328#p6256328

viewtopic.php?p=6256362#p6256362
Everybody - This was extremely helpful, thanks for linking to the existing thread, I must have missed that.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

The term non refundable credit was probably an unfortunate choice. The misconception that it is tied to the tax return refund not the tax liability is extremely common and understandable.