RPAR on Steroids

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
sunnywindy

RPAR on Steroids

Post by sunnywindy »

I came across this SEC Form N-1A for the new RPAR Ultra Risk Parity ETF (UPAR). It should launch in late 2021 or early 2022. I assume the Ultra is a reference that it uses 160% to 180% leverage on a quarterly basis. I will never buy a product like this (nor the original RPAR ETF), but I will watch it because I am curious about its performance.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... neddoc.htm

I have noticed that a few leveraged products have recently hit the ETF market and these products are not just levering a well-known index. This is a new development and UPAR is just another example of this. I bet more will come out in the years ahead as long as the bull market continues.

Current leveraged ETFs (besides the obvious 2x, 3x ones):
Wisdom Tree Efficient Core ETFs
Howard Capital Management or HCM ETFs: HCM Defender 100 ETF (QQH) and HCM Defender 500 ETF (LGH) - both use leveraged ETFs in their holdings

Are there any more that you know of?
Powered by chocolate!
JamesDean44

Re: RPAR on Steroids

Post by JamesDean44 »

Very interesting. Will be interesting to see what sort of AUM this attracts.
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

zkn

Post by zkn »

Great. Does anyone have any thoughts on RPAR and UPAR using commodity producers in the portfolio? I know that studies of risk parity have shown commodity futures (CCFs) worked very well, but commodity futures have worked less well recently post "financialization" of these instruments. Can commodity producers really fill the role that commodity futures used to have, that is, independent positive risk premium while hedging unexpected inflation?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Non-Diversification Risk. The Fund is considered to be non-diversified, which means that it may invest more of its assets in the securities of a single issuer or a smaller number of issuers than if it were a diversified fund. As a result, the Fund may be more exposed to the risks associated with and developments affecting an individual issuer or a smaller number of issuers than a fund that invests more widely. This may increase the Fund’s volatility and cause the performance of a relatively smaller number of issuers to have a greater impact on the Fund’s performance.
What's that about? I would not have expected anything about a risk parity strategy in itself to lead to classification as non-diversified.

It's in the RPAR prospectus, too.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
stormcrow

Post by stormcrow »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:17 am
Non-Diversification Risk. The Fund is considered to be non-diversified, which means that it may invest more of its assets in the securities of a single issuer or a smaller number of issuers than if it were a diversified fund. As a result, the Fund may be more exposed to the risks associated with and developments affecting an individual issuer or a smaller number of issuers than a fund that invests more widely. This may increase the Fund’s volatility and cause the performance of a relatively smaller number of issuers to have a greater impact on the Fund’s performance.
What's that about? I would not have expected anything about a risk parity strategy in itself to lead to classification as non-diversified.

I believe that is an SEC classification. I think it allows the fund more leeway in the investments/allocations it holds.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

stormcrow wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:56 am
nisiprius wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:17 am

I believe that is an SEC classification. I think it allows the fund more leeway in the investments/allocations it holds.
Usually it means that more that 5% of the portfolio is invested in a single stock, or that the fund holds more than 10% of all the stock of some issuer.

It's not apparently true of all risk parity funds. The prospectus for the Wealthfront Risk Parity Fund has a few notes that "The Fund is not intended to be a complete investment program but rather one component of a diversified investment portfolio" and that one risk is "Real Estate Investment Trusts Risk....REITs may be less diversified than other pools of securities." But it says nothing about "non-diversification risk" nor does it say "the fund is considered to be non-diversified."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

LGH/QQH look interesting. Looks great for taxable accounts.
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

Any more updates when UPAR might launch?
Topic Author
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

itsallmath wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:27 pm Any more updates when UPAR might launch?
It was registered for listing today with the SEC,
https://sec.report/Document/0000894189-21-009300/

so I think we will be able to buy it tomorrow(?). Updated Summary Prospectus:
https://fintel.io/doc/sec-tidal-etf-tru ... 18990-1577
Powered by chocolate!
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

sunnywindy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:29 pm
itsallmath wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:27 pm Any more updates when UPAR might launch?

Excellent find! Thank you. Exciting that it starts tomorrow. Even more exciting is .65% ER. I was expecting it would come in closer to 1%, so that seems really fair. Especially since RPAR is .53% already. Only paying .12% extra to get that leverage seems like a great deal for those that want it.

edit: I'm surprised though that they don't have anything about it on their own website: https://www.rparetf.com/
Seems unusual to have a product start trading without prospectus and all documents easily available to the public.

double edit: From that link you provided I did see this in the prospectus: www.rparetf.com/upar
But when I visit it says page not found. So maybe they will launch that page tomorrow then or hopefully soon.
Last edited by itsallmath on Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

itsallmath wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:34 pm
sunnywindy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:29 pm

Excellent find! Thank you. Exciting that it starts tomorrow. Even more exciting is .65% ER. I was expecting it would come in closer to 1%, so that seems really fair. Especially since RPAR is .53% already. Only paying .12% extra to get that leverage seems like a great deal for those that want it.
I will have to see the exact holdings, but I was pleasantly surprised with the price, too.
Powered by chocolate!
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Interesting find, i'm interested as well but needs to see how they achieve the leverage and the methodology for rebalance. Maybe need to read the prospectus more carefully.
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

I couldn't find quotes for the UPAR symbol today. Maybe it goes live for trading tomorrow or next week?
stormcrow

Post by stormcrow »

itsallmath wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:35 pm I couldn't find quotes for the UPAR symbol today. Maybe it goes live for trading tomorrow or next week?
Still not seeing it today either. Everyone's on vacation I guess :)
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

No luck for me today as well. Fingers crossed for first trading day of 2022?
Topic Author
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

itsallmath wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:40 pm No luck for me today as well. Fingers crossed for first trading day of 2022?
Getting closer - UPAR is on the NYSE Listing Directory
https://www.nyse.com/quote/ARCX:UPAR
Powered by chocolate!
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

sunnywindy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:10 pm
itsallmath wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:40 pm No luck for me today as well. Fingers crossed for first trading day of 2022?
Getting closer - UPAR is on the NYSE Listing Directory
https://www.nyse.com/quote/ARCX:UPAR
I was bummed this morning when I couldn't pull the ticker up again. Thank you for all the updates, I am excited it could be any day now :sharebeer
corp_sharecropper

Post by corp_sharecropper »

Goes live tomorrow
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I wonder if this would be good for an HSA...
corp_sharecropper

I bought the first round lot of of this ETF to start its first day of open trading. Do I win a prize or just bragging rights for the most boring thing to ever potentially brag about at a cocktail party? :D
a_s_h

Post by a_s_h »

corp_sharecropper wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:40 am I bought the first round lot of of this ETF to start its first day of open trading. Do I win a prize or just bragging rights for the most boring thing to ever potentially brag about at a cocktail party? :D
You beat me: I put in a limit order, but it has not filled yet. The full info on the ETF is now here: https://www.rparetf.com/upar
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

Hey this is awesome. I just came on to share that link and let everyone know that it was active. I was excited to see the ticker in action. But I havn't tried placing an order yet. It looks like $20 was the initial NAV? So today we are buying at a discount from launch? But still hard to know are we paying today's true NAV or not?
imak

Post by imak »

Thank you so much for posting this. Excited to see how this plays out. I am a big fan of RPAR ETF and Alex Shahidi's Balanced Asset Allocation is on my reading list.
"Take a simple idea and take it seriously" ~ Charlie Munger
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

I was thinking with the popularity of HFEA on bogleheads that UPAR would have more excitement behind it. I feel it offers better diversification, with more reasonable risk for a smoother ride and lower chance of failure. I think an even bigger bonus is being in the single product it makes it easier to hold the whole package instead of worrying about re balancing and self directed trades / second guessing the strategy.

I guess maybe the lack of interest is because of the lower leverage so its not as thrilling as HFEA?
corp_sharecropper

RPAR was my go-to change jar in my emergency savings/brokerage account. I just can't stand the money market rates but I also hate having a bunch of investments in that account along with cash because if I need more than just the cash I have to deal with selling the appropriate amounts of each investment. Now UPAR will fill that role and I'll be able to use less capital for the same "sized" change jar. I also use it for the part of my HSA that I just might have to dip into in an emergency.
Topic Author
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

The UPAR website has an "Investment Case" PDF that lists the target weights of RPAR versus UPAR. Here is a comparison:

RPAR
US equities: 12.5%
Intl. equities: 5%
EM equities: 7.5%
Commodities: 15%
Gold: 10%
TIPS: 35%
Treasuries: 35%
Total: 120%

UPAR
US equities: 17.5%
Intl. equities: 7%
EM equities: 10.5%
Commodities: 21%
Gold: 14%
TIPS:49 %
Treasuries: 49%
Total: 168%

Only the leverage increases, but not the individual weightings between each holding.
Powered by chocolate!
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

I am worried UPAR doesn't have the volume to trade near NAV reliably yet. Is there anyway to know on a daily basis how close it is to NAV? Or do we need to wait for volume to pick up. How long does it usually take for new ETF's to get sufficient volume?

For instance at the moment UPAR is down less than RPAR is on the day. I would think this should be reversed.
Last edited by itsallmath on Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

sunnywindy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:35 am The UPAR website has an "Investment Case" PDF that lists the target weights of RPAR versus UPAR. Here is a comparison:

RPAR

UPAR

Only the leverage increases, but not the individual weightings between each holding.
Thanks for drafting that out. It sounds like they use a multiplier of 1.4x on top of whatever RPAR is holding. I think RPAR can float between 120%-140% leverage, and then UPAR woulf Float between 160%-180%, but instead of them floating freely it seems they start with RPAR and then just apply that 1.4x to it.
riskparity

Post by riskparity »

itsallmath wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:46 am I am worried UPAR doesn't have the volume to trade near NAV reliably yet. Is there anyway to know on a daily basis how close it is to NAV? Or do we need to wait for volume to pick up. How long does it usually take for new ETF's to get sufficient volume?

For instance at the moment UPAR is down less than RPAR is on the day. I would think this should be reversed.
ETFs don't usually trade too far from NAV due to the creation and redemption process. ETFs also have an intraday iNAV ticker that you can lookup to see the real time NAV to base your limit price on. ETFs have authorized participants who will buy shares and short the underlying or vice versa. This is risk free arbitrage for the market makers. Long term holders shouldn't worry too much about the premium or discount. Just use limit orders and try to place an order somewhere in the middle of the spread and walk the order towards the ask if it's not getting filled.
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

riskparity wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:42 am
itsallmath wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:46 am I am worried UPAR doesn't have the volume to trade near NAV reliably yet. Is there anyway to know on a daily basis how close it is to NAV? Or do we need to wait for volume to pick up. How long does it usually take for new ETF's to get sufficient volume?

ETFs don't usually trade too far from NAV due to the creation and redemption process. ETFs also have an intraday iNAV ticker that you can lookup to see the real time NAV to base your limit price on. ETFs have authorized participants who will buy shares and short the underlying or vice versa. This is risk free arbitrage for the market makers. Long term holders shouldn't worry too much about the premium or discount. Just use limit orders and try to place an order somewhere in the middle of the spread and walk the order towards the ask if it's not getting filled.
Thanks for the response. I did see they use UPAR.nv but I didn't know where I could look that up. Google search came up blank for me. If anyone has a link to the NAV that would be much appreciated.
calcada

Post by calcada »

sunnywindy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:35 am The UPAR website has an "Investment Case" PDF that lists the target weights of RPAR versus UPAR. Here is a comparison:

RPAR

UPAR

RPAR has a 15% cash allocation, which functions as collateral for the futures. Doesn't that make the total 135% for RPAR?

How much cash allocation does UPAR have?

And couldn't the Gold allocation be used as collateral? Wouldn't that be more efficient?
calcada

Post by calcada »

Commodities are Commodity Producer Equities. They are basically stocks and are not commodities. I don't think they achieve the diversification benefit that commodities would achieve. They are highly correlated to the global stock market and serve to increase exposure and risk to equities.

Can we consider that UPAR has 35+21=56% allocation to global equities?

I never understood why they went with Commodity Producer Equities instead of the actual underlying commodities.
itsallmath

Post by itsallmath »

calcada wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:13 pm Commodities are Commodity Producer Equities. They are basically stocks and are not commodities. I don't think they achieve the diversification benefit that commodities would achieve. They are highly correlated to the global stock market and serve to increase exposure and risk to equities.

Can we consider that UPAR has 35+21=56% allocation to global equities?

I never understood why they went with Commodity Producer Equities instead of the actual underlying commodities.
I think your assessment is fair. In times of extreme commodity moves I do believe the equities will somewhat track it.
I think they went this route to avoid contango costs.
I myself would prefer they just split that amount into more global stocks and more gold. But in the end I actually don't think it will change performance much on a long timescale.
Topic Author
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

calcada wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:49 pm

RPAR

UPAR

RPAR has a 15% cash allocation, which functions as collateral for the futures. Doesn't that make the total 135% for RPAR?

How much cash allocation does UPAR have?

And couldn't the Gold allocation be used as collateral? Wouldn't that be more efficient?
I just looked at the current cash allocation:
RPAR: 4.07%
UPAR: 3.46%

Also, both ETFs have about 88 "commodity producer" equities.