Vanguard's new mobile app (formerly known as "Beacon")

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Doctor Rhythm

Vanguard’s new iPhone app loses functionality

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

If you haven’t updated to the recently announced new-and-improved Vanguard mobile app for iOS, think twice before you do. I just updated today and regret it. The app has lost a lot of functionality, especially for the mutual-fund-only, non-brokerage accounts that they’ve been trying to get you to convert. From the FAQs:

Which accounts are not fully supported by this app?
Though we currently support most accounts types, we’re still working to fully support SEP IRA’s and Inherited IRA’s.
529 plans and 403b’s aren’t available in the app at this time. You'll need to visit vanguard.com to make a transaction or view your account details.
Currently we don’t plan to support non brokerage Mutual Fund-only accounts within the Vanguard app. You can access this account type on vanguard.com.

From what I can see, the new app:
— doesn’t allow you to buy or sell funds in unsupported accounts;
— doesn’t allow you to withdraw from unsupported accounts;
— doesn’t let you view SLID cost basis and gains/losses (at least for unsupported accounts);
— doesn’t show anything more granular than total stock to total bond allocation in portfolio analysis;
— doesn’t link to fund information (if you want to research a fund, you’ll need to go to their website).

It’s pretty much turned into a read-only app, good for checking your balances and that’s about it.
Last edited by Doctor Rhythm on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Re: Vanguard’s new iPhone app loses functionality

Post by goodenyou »

So far, I am not a fan of the new app.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:35 pm The app has lost a lot of functionality, especially for the mutual-fund-only, non-brokerage accounts that they’ve been trying to get you to convert.
This surprises you?

The want to shut down the mutual fund only accounts. One reason is that they are costly to support. For example, since they are on a different platform they need to add extra codes, testing, support, etc. to run them on apps like this.

As for not upgrading - well - how long do you think Vanguard will support the old version of the app? For a little while I would suppose. But at some point the risks of running the old version of the app is going to be too high for Vanguard so they will probably shut that down as well.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

alex_686 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:44 pm
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:35 pm The app has lost a lot of functionality, especially for the mutual-fund-only, non-brokerage accounts that they’ve been trying to get you to convert.
This surprises you?

The want to shut down the mutual fund only accounts. One reason is that they are costly to support. For example, since they are on a different platform they need to add extra codes, testing, support, etc. to run them on apps like this.

As for not upgrading - well - how long do you think Vanguard will support the old version of the app? For a little while I would suppose. But at some point the risks of running the old version of the app is going to be too high for Vanguard so they will probably shut that down as well.
True enough - all things come to an end. But it’s an unwelcome surprise to find an app you used regularly nerf’d. I suppose I’ll stop procrastinating and convert to the brokerage account.
lobsterman2112

Re: New Vanguard mobile app

Post by lobsterman2112 »

heartwood wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:12 am I think Beacon is gone as a name and an app. I opened it this morning, was told it was outdated and to click to update. It was replaced by the "Vanguard" app. Beacon is no longer available at the Play Store, just the "Vanguard" named app.
Same on Apple App Store.

Vanguard Beacon is no longer available on the App Store. The main Vanguard app now looks like beacon. (It just changed from the classic app to Beacon in the last couple days, I think.)

Pet Peeve of the new Vanguard app: I can't seem to set custom date periods to see how my performance was in calendar year 2020, etc.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

alex_686 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:44 pm
This surprises you?

This is an interesting point. I happened to have never upgraded my Android app. (I generally run with autoupdates off so that I'm in control of when they happen.) The app still works fine. I wonder now if that's because the iOS app needed that support; now that they've rolled out the new version to iOS, I wouldn't be surprised if the old app breaks in the next couple of months when they turn off the backend support for it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: "Beacon," Vanguard's new mobile app

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Doctor Rhythm's thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion).

(Thanks to the member who reported the post.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

I’m a Vanguard Flagship Select client, and haven’t been directly affected by the aforementioned customer service reported issues.

However, I made frequent use of the previous VG app, the one that got replaced with the downgraded version related to this thread. For ME, trying to make use this app just didn’t work. Each to his own, if it works for you - great.

That said, I drove over to my local Schwab office, showed them our two trust accounts balances, and am trying to get them to match Citibank’s offer of $3,500 for 2MM+ per account.

Let’s see what happens.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:35 pm [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

If you haven’t updated to the recently announced new-and-improved Vanguard mobile app for iOS, think twice before you do. I just updated today and regret it. The app has lost a lot of functionality, especially for the mutual-fund-only, non-brokerage accounts that they’ve been trying to get you to convert. From the FAQs:

Which accounts are not fully supported by this app?
Though we currently support most accounts types, we’re still working to fully support SEP IRA’s and Inherited IRA’s.
529 plans and 403b’s aren’t available in the app at this time. You'll need to visit vanguard.com to make a transaction or view your account details.
Currently we don’t plan to support non brokerage Mutual Fund-only accounts within the Vanguard app. You can access this account type on vanguard.com.

From what I can see, the new app:
— doesn’t allow you to buy or sell funds in unsupported accounts;
— doesn’t allow you to withdraw from unsupported accounts;
— doesn’t let you view SLID cost basis and gains/losses (at least for unsupported accounts);
— doesn’t show anything more granular than total stock to total bond allocation in portfolio analysis;
— doesn’t link to fund information (if you want to research a fund, you’ll need to go to their website).

It’s pretty much turned into a read-only app, good for checking your balances and that’s about it.
The new app also does not work for LLC accounts. I can see a total in that account but can't do anything like look at transactions or do mobile check deposit. I get a message that my type of account is currently not supported, use vanguard.com I also can't log out of my LLC and go to my taxable accounts.
Bulgogi Head

Post by Bulgogi Head »

Has anyone been able to find where to find cost basis for individual tax lots for those using SpecID?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Bulgogi Head wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:03 pm Has anyone been able to find where to find cost basis for individual tax lots for those using SpecID?
Not available in the new app. You need to login to the website. The new app is beyond useless...
Bulgogi Head

Post by Bulgogi Head »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:21 pm
Bulgogi Head wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:03 pm Has anyone been able to find where to find cost basis for individual tax lots for those using SpecID?
Not available in the new app. You need to login to the website. The new app is beyond useless...
Wow, that is completely disappointing. This means I will not be able to tax loss harvest in the app.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Bulgogi Head wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:47 pm
anon_investor wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:21 pm
Wow, that is completely disappointing. This means I will not be able to tax loss harvest in the app.
You can't exchange mutual funds either... kind of big for tax loss harvesting.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:31 pm
Freefun wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:23 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:17 pm
Freefun wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:10 pm I followed the advice from some folks here. I called Schwab and asked them if I rollover my 401(k) to them will they waive fees for the Vanguard funds. They said they would be happy to and marked my accounts accordingly. So it looks like I’ll be buying vanguard funds such as life strategy but use Schwab since I like their app, website and most importantly their customer service. I realize I could buy ETFs but honestly I can’t be bothered even rebalancing so I’ll probably just go with lifestrategy funds and be done with it.
How much did you transfer in order for them to offer waiving fees for the Vanguard funds? Did you also get a bonus?
I didn’t transfer anything yet but at least 2M. How much bonus should I ask for?
Since Schwab matches what other brokerages offer, at least get them to match:
-E*Trade offers $3k for transfering $1.5M:
https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how-it-works/promo
-Ally Invest offers $3k for transfering $2M:
https://www.ally.com/go/invest/promotion
I called Schwab today and they said they will match the 3K offer. Thank you very much for Telling me about the bonus!
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Lookingforanswers

Post by Lookingforanswers »

deleted
Last edited by Lookingforanswers on Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogledogle87

Post by bogledogle87 »

I really like the company and funds, hate the new app. My goodness, amidst an already challenging period with some negative press on accessibility and customer service, this was a terrible marketing move.

Why take away the majority of the mobile app functionality and relegate it to pretty much a snapshot view. This is extremely perplexing all the way around.

They tested Beacon for like 2 years and THIS is what they came up with!?
VTWAX and chill
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

Freefun wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:50 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:31 pm
Freefun wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:23 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:17 pm
Freefun wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:10 pm I followed the advice from some folks here. I called Schwab and asked them if I rollover my 401(k) to them will they waive fees for the Vanguard funds. They said they would be happy to and marked my accounts accordingly. So it looks like I’ll be buying vanguard funds such as life strategy but use Schwab since I like their app, website and most importantly their customer service. I realize I could buy ETFs but honestly I can’t be bothered even rebalancing so I’ll probably just go with lifestrategy funds and be done with it.
How much did you transfer in order for them to offer waiving fees for the Vanguard funds? Did you also get a bonus?
I didn’t transfer anything yet but at least 2M. How much bonus should I ask for?
Since Schwab matches what other brokerages offer, at least get them to match:
-E*Trade offers $3k for transfering $1.5M:
https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how-it-works/promo
-Ally Invest offers $3k for transfering $2M:
https://www.ally.com/go/invest/promotion
I called Schwab today and they said they will match the 3K offer. Thank you very much for Telling me about the bonus!
There’s a better deal to be had. Citibank is offering $3,500 for a transfer of 2MM+ in November. I called Schwab, sent them a screenshot, and they’re going to match the offer.

The latest version of the VG mobile App, was the impetus I needed.
Vanguard User

New Vanguard app - Can’t buy VTSAX?

Post by Vanguard User »

[Merged into the existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

We cannot buy VTSAX directly from our checking account source to VTSAX anymore on app?

I had to do this on the website to make it happen. Furthermore, it even accepted my transaction from my settlement account to VTSAX when I have $0 funds in my settlement account. Why? I ended up cancelling it from the website.
Normchad

Re: New Vanguard app - Can’t buy VTSAX?

Post by Normchad »

I have no idea. But the new Vanguard app is atrocious. Every bit as bad as everybody says. I use the website exclusively now…..
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Use the website or switch to a broker with a functional app (Schwab, fidelity)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:30 pm We cannot buy VTSAX directly from our checking account source to VTSAX anymore on app?

I had to do this on the website to make it happen. Furthermore, it even accepted my transaction from my settlement account to VTSAX when I have $0 funds in my settlement account. Why? I ended up cancelling it from the website.
Yeah, the new app no longer allows this formerly simple option. The new app is terrible. You have to transfer money from checking to settlement, the buy VTSAX. Lately I have instead just been buying VTI by $ amount using the Fidelity app. Fidelity gave me $100 just to open a new account with $50.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Normchad wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:33 pm I have no idea. But the new Vanguard app is atrocious. Every bit as bad as everybody says. I use the website exclusively now…..
The GUI is nicer but it doesn’t do what I wanted to do. I can’t just select my bank checking account anymore and do direct buy VTSAX?
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:38 pm Use the website or switch to a broker with a functional app (Schwab, fidelity)
I did use the website to do it.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:48 pm
Normchad wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:33 pm I have no idea. But the new Vanguard app is atrocious. Every bit as bad as everybody says. I use the website exclusively now…..
The GUI is nicer but it doesn’t do what I wanted to do. I can’t just select my bank checking account anymore and do direct buy VTSAX?
You can't do much of anything (In my experience)
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:38 pm Use the website or switch to a broker with a functional app (Schwab, fidelity)
I did use the website to do it.
Good job :arrow:
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Did you try to buy VTI instead of VTSAX? Perhaps Vanguard is pushing its clients in an ETF direction.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:52 pm
Did you try to buy VTI instead of VTSAX? Perhaps Vanguard is pushing its clients in an ETF direction.
No. All I have is VTSAX taxable at Vanguard. Everything else at Fidelity.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

New app is brokerage only -- no support for mutual fund only accounts. Upgrade your account and then you can buy stocks/ETFs/mutual funds. Otherwise, you are stuck with desktop only.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

Just got the app auto-updated on my phone. New UI looks much better but it seems to be a largely a read only app. Everything is just more streamlined and customizable on the website. I can’t even seem to check my messages on the app :confused

Maybe they will add more functionality in the future. Currently it’s like a much abridged version of the desktop site whereas previously the old app had everything I needed to do and was a viable replacement/alternative to the desktop site.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I hope, and actually expect, the phone app to pick up functionality in the (somewhat?) near future. Vanguard simply can't leave it the way it is.

Someone made the switchover to the new GUI a little too soon.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:53 pm
Perhaps you should consider asking Vanguard to do a no-tax-cost conversion of your VTSAX to VTI.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Nummerkins wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:09 pm New app is brokerage only -- no support for mutual fund only accounts. Upgrade your account and then you can buy stocks/ETFs/mutual funds. Otherwise, you are stuck with desktop only.
Even if you have a brokerage account, via the app you cannot fund a mutual fund purchase from your bank account. Instead you need to first transfer money from your bank account to your settlement account, then make your mutual fund purchase funded by your settlement account. If you use the website you can fund your mutual fund purchase directly from your bank account.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Glad I kept the old app.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:36 pm
Perhaps you should consider asking Vanguard to do a no-tax-cost conversion of your VTSAX to VTI.
What’s my benefit?
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Nummerkins wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:09 pm New app is brokerage only -- no support for mutual fund only accounts. Upgrade your account and then you can buy stocks/ETFs/mutual funds. Otherwise, you are stuck with desktop only.
You mean sell VTSAX and buy VTI?
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

bubbly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:41 pm Just got the app auto-updated on my phone. New UI looks much better but it seems to be a largely a read only app. Everything is just more streamlined and customizable on the website. I can’t even seem to check my messages on the app :confused

Maybe they will add more functionality in the future. Currently it’s like a much abridged version of the desktop site whereas previously the old app had everything I needed to do and was a viable replacement/alternative to the desktop site.
Maybe Vanguard will look at these complaints on this site and update?
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

bertilak wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:09 pm I hope, and actually expect, the phone app to pick up functionality in the (somewhat?) near future. Vanguard simply can't leave it the way it is.

Well it’s worse than a Beta.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:46 pm Glad I kept the old app.
You never updated?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:24 pm
You never updated?
Correct. I had tried Beacon and didn't like it. I had read the reports about the Android App. I have automatic app updates turned off (well before this), and read the complaints here before manually updating. Still works fine. iPhone app version 11.14
Last edited by Cheez-It Guy on Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:39 pm
Even if you have a brokerage account, via the app you cannot fund a mutual fund purchase from your bank account. Instead you need to first transfer money from your bank account to your settlement account, then make your mutual fund purchase funded by your settlement account. If you use the website you can fund your mutual fund purchase directly from your bank account.
Are you on iPhone or Android? Because I can still buy mutual funds directly from my checking account (iPhone, app version 12.0, last updated today).

Maybe I spoke too soon. I actually wasn't on version 12.0 yet, and now that I am, I see what others are describing. It will still let me submit the transaction with no money in the settlement account, but I get a notice that I need to have the funds there by the settlement date. Extra clicks (and a second transaction) that I shouldn't have to do.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

TropikThunder wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:34 pm
anon_investor wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:39 pm
Are you on iPhone or Android? Because I can still buy mutual funds directly from my checking account (iPhone, app version 12.0, last updated today).

Maybe I spoke too soon. I actually wasn't on version 12.0 yet, and now that I am, I see what others are describing. It will still let me submit the transaction with no money in the settlement account, but I get a notice that I need to have the funds there by the settlement date. Extra clicks (and a second transaction) that I shouldn't have to do.
Exactly... :|
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:23 pm
bertilak wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:09 pm I hope, and actually expect, the phone app to pick up functionality in the (somewhat?) near future. Vanguard simply can't leave it the way it is.

Well it’s worse than a Beta.
Agreed.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:32 pm
You never updated?
Correct. I had tried Beacon and didn't like it. I had read the reports about the Android App. I have automatic app updates turned off (well before this), and read the complaints here before manually updating. Still works fine. iPhone app version 11.14
I have an iPhone.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:17 pm

What’s my benefit?
1. VTI has a lower expense ratio than VTSAX.
2. VTI can be moved from Vanguard to another brokerage without losing the ability to make free trades.
3. Vanguard seems to be redesigning its IT systems around ETFs rather than mutual funds.

There are other benefits that might not be of interest to a person committed to the boglehead philosophy of investing.
newenglandpat

Post by newenglandpat »

note to the Vanguard rep who monitors these forums: this app wasn't ready when it was released and it still isn't! Revert to the old app until it is FULLY functional.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

newenglandpat wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:38 pm note to the Vanguard rep who monitors these forums: this app wasn't ready when it was released and it still isn't! Revert to the old app until it is FULLY functional.
A Vanguard rep monitors the forums? I'd be happy if they just monitor for incoming secure messages on their own website...

Post by 000 »

Almost like.... they want people to leave......
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:10 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:32 pm
You never updated?
I have an iPhone.
OK. But apparently your app has been updated. Mine was not. On purpose.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:12 pm

What’s my benefit?
2. VTI can be moved from Vanguard to another brokerage without losing the ability to make free trades.
3. Vanguard seems to be redesigning its IT systems around ETFs rather than mutual funds.

There are other benefits that might not be of interest to a person committed to the boglehead philosophy of investing.
Does it mean VTSAX will be discontinued?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vanguard User wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:28 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:12 pm

What’s my benefit?

Does it mean VTSAX will be discontinued?
No it means that Vanguard's new mobile app stinks.