Vanguard's new mobile app (formerly known as "Beacon")

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
heartwood

Re: "Beacon," Vanguard's new mobile app

Post by heartwood »

Sprucebark wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:40 pm
heartwood wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:22 am
Sprucebark wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:44 am My app updated and now everything looks different. It must be this dreaded new app. It looks more “modern” but seems clunky at the same time. Definitely a downgrade. I have two accounts and the app is locked on one user name. No way to switch accounts. In the old app you could switch user names. I suppose you would have to delete the app and reinstall to change user names.
I tried uninstall/reinstall more than once. It didn't work for me. I'm stuck in my LLC account, no access to my main accounts via the app.

Pls let us know if uninstall/reinstall works for you.
I just tried it. So when you delete the app you need to be sure it is really deleted from your device (delete app and all the data). Then it’s gone / wiped from the device. When you reinstall it there is a normal login screen with a blank user name and blank password. It’s kind of obnoxious but that would be the way to do it if you wanted to jump around multiple accounts.
I was skeptical but tried uninstall/install again. No option to delete data, but, voila! I got the blank logon screen and I'm in.

Thanks for your help.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 am I hope each and every one who complained on this thread wrote a review at their respective app store.
And, while you’re at it, leave “Feedback” through the app.

On the iOS version, it’s in the “Support” area.

Might not help. But can’t hurt. And it will give you a chance to vent.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Stinky wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:47 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 am I hope each and every one who complained on this thread wrote a review at their respective app store.

I gave Vanguard some in app feedback.

Honestly what bogles my mind is that despite all the complaints for the last few months they are continuing the rollout without even a fix to a single one of those issues. It is as if they do not value their customers or their concerns.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
BitTooAggressive

Post by BitTooAggressive »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:18 pm

Honestly what bogles my mind is that despite all the complaints for the last few months they are continuing the rollout without even a fix to a single one of those issues. It is as if they do not value their customers or their concerns.
There is no accountability within the company. All the comments/reviews are monitored by the same imbeciles that put the horrendous app out in the first place.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

BitTooAggressive wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:59 pm

There is no accountability within the company. All the comments/reviews are monitored by the same imbeciles that put the horrendous app out in the first place.
I honestly burst out laughing at work when I read that.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

That's right, they do not want you as a customer, they want you to hold VG products elsewhere. I was happy to oblige them, and we both win by my leaving - they still give me low cost management and some other broker deals with me
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Just deleted the app (iOS). Replaced it with a pinned browser version, which thankfully still looks and feels just like the regular website and not a watered down mobile version. The new app shows incorrect total balances, inconsistent display of returns (I don’t look at these all that much but the inconsistency bothers me), no way to see cost basis split between long/short term, and no way to see messages or statements. What an absolute disaster. I left feedback via the Support tab, though judging by comments here not expecting it to be addressed anytime soon.
qwertyjazz

Spec ID Vanguard App

Post by qwertyjazz »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Have not made any recent trades. After action on Friday, I went to check to see if anything to TLH and tried to look on the Vanguard app. It stated it no longer supported spec id. How long has this been for? Any popular uprising going on that might change it back?
I tried doing a search for relevant thread and did not find it. Pointer appreciated.

Thank you
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Tubes

Re: Spec ID Vanguard App

Post by Tubes »

The app has been blown up and broken.

Here's the thread you are looking for. 9 pages of wailing and gnashing teeth.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=355682
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Use the website not the "simplified" app.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

qwertyjazz wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:47 am Have not made any recent trades. After action on Friday, I went to check to see if anything to TLH and tried to look on the Vanguard app. It stated it no longer supported spec id. How long has this been for? Any popular uprising going on that might change it back?
I tried doing a search for relevant thread and did not find it. Pointer appreciated.

Thank you
You will have to login via the website to view that info. Vanguard decided to eliminate many useful features in the app. I submitted my feedback to Vanguard, but I don't they fix any thing.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged qwertyjazz's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

There’s a new version of the Beacon app that downloaded tonight 12.2.0.

One complaint I’ve seen in this thread is about folks who have multiple accounts. It appears that Vanguard might have addressed this. See this text in the “Support” tab of the app:

How do I log in if I have multiple Vanguard accounts?

If you need to use the app to login to multiple Vanguard accounts, make sure you don’t have Remember me and Biometric login turned on in Settings (located in the Support tab). Once you’ve ensured these features are turned off, go back to Settings and tap Log out so you can officially sign out of one account and into another.

I haven’t looked to see what else might be new in this release.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

1 problem fixed. 99 more to go.

I have not used the app since the upgrade. Okay, I used it during the first few days and then not once since then.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I don't use the app, but disabling Biometric login seems like they are compromising security because they couldn't fix it correctly. IOW, you shouldn't compromise your authentication process simply to use a different account.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:23 am I don't use the app, but disabling Biometric login seems like they are compromising security because they couldn't fix it correctly. IOW, you shouldn't compromise your authentication process simply to use a different account.
Is this really compromising security? It appears to me that it is eliminating the convenience of biometric login if you have multiple accounts.
lobsterman2112

Post by lobsterman2112 »

prd1982 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:50 am
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:23 am I don't use the app, but disabling Biometric login seems like they are compromising security because they couldn't fix it correctly. IOW, you shouldn't compromise your authentication process simply to use a different account.
Is this really compromising security? It appears to me that it is eliminating the convenience of biometric login if you have multiple accounts.
Biometrics definitely enhance security.

Imagine someone (ie: your child) knows your 4 digit phone passcode. Do you really want them to log onto your Vanguard account with a password that is stored on the phone and entered with your phone passcode? On the other hand, if you have difficult to remember or random passwords to Vanguard, you don't want to keep them on a piece of paper or the phone notepad to copy into the app.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

lobsterman2112 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:57 am

Imagine someone (ie: your child) knows your 4 digit phone passcode. Do you really want them to log onto your Vanguard account with a password that is stored on the phone and entered with your phone passcode? On the other hand, if you have difficult to remember or random passwords to Vanguard, you don't want to keep them on a piece of paper or the phone notepad to copy into the app.
I’m sticking with my analysis. You don’t have to store the password on your phone.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If the app couldn't handle logging into a different account unless you've disabled a security feature, something is very wrong.

For example, would you disable Biometric login for your phone's email or any other app that uses it? I don't think so.

Apple recommends that Biometric settings should not even be in the app. Authentication - User Interaction - iOS - Human Interface Guidelines - Apple Developer
In general, avoid offering a setting for opting in to biometric authentication within your app. If biometric authentication is enabled at the system level, just assume the user wants to use it. If you implement an app-specific setting, the user may get into a state where biometric authentication appears to be enabled in your app when it's really disabled systemwide.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

How does the app know that the first account (the one you installed it for) belongs to you? The app is downloaded from Google Play or the Apple app Store, so the only way it knows is by asking for a username / password when the app is installed. Changing the login credentials should be straight-forward without compromising security.

The Vanguard website Vanguard mobile app - Beacon | Vanguard advertises "Security first" with a prominent graphic showing biometrics (magnifying glass over a fingerprint). Scroll down to the FAQ. "How can I log in as another user on the app" says to disable biometrics.

Also, the link to the Google Play app is broken. Here it is: Vanguard - Apps on Google Play, chock full of 1 star reviews.

BTW, the product name "Beacon" does not appear anywhere except in the website header (what's in my link text). It's just called "Vanguard".
CRC_Volunteer

Post by CRC_Volunteer »

lobsterman2112 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:57 am

My neighbor locked her iPhone using Face ID. Her tween daughter learned by holding her Mom’s phone to her Mom’s face while she slept, it would unlock the phone.
"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." (Inigo Montoya) | | 65/30/05 | 53% VTSAX | 12% VTIAX | 30% VAIPX | 5% CASH
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

CRC_Volunteer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am My neighbor locked her iPhone using Face ID. Her tween daughter learned by holding her Mom’s phone to her Mom’s face while she slept, it would unlock the phone.
Oh man. Never underestimate the kids.

This reminds me of an infamous scene in the old TV show "24", where Jack Bauer declares "I'm gonna need a hacksaw." That was the most extreme example since a face was needed. There were earlier scenes of using scissors/pruners/knives in order to get the proper finger.
lobsterman2112

Post by lobsterman2112 »

CRC_Volunteer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 amMy neighbor locked her iPhone using Face ID. Her tween daughter learned by holding her Mom’s phone to her Mom’s face while she slept, it would unlock the phone.
True. Just like the kids can get your finger on the sensor of an old phone while you are asleep.

The obvious best security is to never have passwords saved on any device. But we've gone way past that. FaceID and TouchID are secure ways of storing passwords and should be used on devices that have it available. To bypass that is to bypass a layer of security (as stated in the Apple Human Interface Guidelines).

I say layer of security for a reason. Security is made up of multiple layers. To bypass a readily available layer... well, we do it sometimes, but we should accept the ramifications.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

lobsterman2112 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:06 am
CRC_Volunteer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 amMy neighbor locked her iPhone using Face ID. Her tween daughter learned by holding her Mom’s phone to her Mom’s face while she slept, it would unlock the phone.
True. Just like the kids can get your finger on the sensor of an old phone while you are asleep.

The obvious best security is to never have passwords saved on any device. But we've gone way past that. FaceID and TouchID are secure ways of storing passwords and should be used on devices that have it available. To bypass that is to bypass a layer of security (as stated in the Apple Human Interface Guidelines).

I say layer of security for a reason. Security is made up of multiple layers. To bypass a readily available layer... well, we do it sometimes, but we should accept the ramifications.
For the paranoid among us, biometrics are a privacy nightmare. You can't change your fingerprints or face.

Also, courts have ruled that people can be forced to unlock phones when they're secured via fingerprint or faceprint. However, if you've protected it with a PIN, you cannot be compelled unlock it, as it violates the right against self-incrimination. The courts have not recognized that the fingerprint is acting as a defacto password; as it's a "thing you are" vs a "thing you know", they have this frustrating differentiation.

I stick with PINs on my phones.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

PINs - I would agree about the privacy nightmare, but my comments are intended for those who use biometrics.
lobsterman2112 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:06 am I say layer of security for a reason. Security is made up of multiple layers. To bypass a readily available layer... well, we do it sometimes, but we should accept the ramifications.
Look at it this way. This app accesses your financial info and needs maximum protection from unauthorized users.

If the app permissions were set to "This app does not use Biometrics (disabled inside the app)" - and you understood what that meant - would you accept a higher risk that an unauthorized user can access your info?

Bear in mind that I'm a site administrator. Security is a big priority for me and is why I'm focused on flagging this issue. It's important, as almost no one except those working in software / IT understand the implications of what disabling Biometrics inside an app can mean. I'm explaining why I think this is a mistake.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:03 am PINs - I would agree about the privacy nightmare, but my comments are intended for those who use biometrics.
lobsterman2112 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:06 am I say layer of security for a reason. Security is made up of multiple layers. To bypass a readily available layer... well, we do it sometimes, but we should accept the ramifications.
Look at it this way. This app accesses your financial info and needs maximum protection from unauthorized users.

If the app permissions were set to "This app does not use Biometrics (disabled inside the app)" - and you understood what that meant - would you accept a higher risk that an unauthorized user can access your info?

Bear in mind that I'm a site administrator. Security is a big priority for me and is why I'm focused on flagging this issue. It's important, as almost no one except those working in software / IT understand the implications of what disabling Biometrics inside an app can mean. I'm explaining why I think this is a mistake.
I also think Vanguard's solution to fix one issue by disabling a new feature (at least for Android) touted by this "new" app is silly.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I was just looking for the setting to use my fingerprint to unlock my password vault.

After this discussion, I shall keep the long password.

Good discussion!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:54 am
BTW, the product name "Beacon" does not appear anywhere except in the website header (what's in my link text). It's just called "Vanguard".
That's a good point.

Prior to the switch-over two weeks ago, Vanguard had two apps in the Apps Store. One was "Vanguard", which was pretty full-functioned, and the second was "Beacon".

The switch-over took place as the previous "Beacon" app was renamed "Vanguard" (and the old "Vanguard" app disappeared). That's the source of all the discontent.

Since there's no current app in the App Store called "Beacon", I'd make the humble suggestion to change the title of this thread to "Vanguard's new mobile app (formerly known as "Beacon").
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Stinky wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:04 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:54 am
That's a good point.

Prior to the switch-over two weeks ago, Vanguard had two apps in the Apps Store. One was "Vanguard", which was pretty full-functioned, and the second was "Beacon".

The switch-over took place as the previous "Beacon" app was renamed "Vanguard" (and the old "Vanguard" app disappeared). That's the source of all the discontent.

Since there's no current app in the App Store called "Beacon", I'd make the humble suggestion to change the title of this thread to "Vanguard's new mobile app (formerly known as "Beacon").
Done.
Thesaints

Re: Vanguard's new mobile app (formerly known as "Beacon")

Post by Thesaints »

I wish they had called it "bacon". At least it would be good with some fried eggs...
CRC_Volunteer

Post by CRC_Volunteer »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:52 pm I wish they had called it "bacon". At least it would be good with some fried eggs...
If I said “bacon” out loud, my collies would be drooling in front of me. Certain words are carefully spoken at my house.
"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." (Inigo Montoya) | | 65/30/05 | 53% VTSAX | 12% VTIAX | 30% VAIPX | 5% CASH
JackGatsby

Post by JackGatsby »

Tubes wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:09 am
Horton wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:55 am This is what happens when agile becomes the hot idea at a financial services organization? 🤔
Yes. This is what I was getting at. However, agile done properly should have a strong "Product Owner*" that demands at least a decent version of the product at release 1. However, in the real world, the product owner has their own pressures which typically result in winding back the initial requirements during grooming so that the product can get out fast.

* - The product owner is supposed to be the voice of the customer. However, the product owner typically feels more pressure from management (the company side) and can lose focus of the customer. Not their fault since management signs their paychecks. Judging by management's admitted missteps on the whole crew member medical benefit fiasco, it wouldn't surprise me they may be a little detached from the customers too.
I can assure you management is far detached from reality. First it was the push to full digital back in early 2020, to eliminate the need for forms. This forced clients to use the online process which often was clunky and didn't work (something as simple as not entering dashes in certain fields would cause the whole form to be deleted or stop). Then it was the change to delete the message center for anyone who was not a flagship client. The leaders of Vanguard are in over their heads and worried about politicism than actually doing what's right for their crew and shareholders.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

JackGatsby wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:05 pm
Horton wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:55 am This is what happens when agile becomes the hot idea at a financial services organization? 🤔
Yes. This is what I was getting at. However, agile done properly should have a strong "Product Owner*" that demands at least a decent version of the product at release 1. However, in the real world, the product owner has their own pressures which typically result in winding back the initial requirements during grooming so that the product can get out fast.

* - The product owner is supposed to be the voice of the customer. However, the product owner typically feels more pressure from management (the company side) and can lose focus of the customer. Not their fault since management signs their paychecks. Judging by management's admitted missteps on the whole crew member medical benefit fiasco, it wouldn't surprise me they may be a little detached from the customers too.
I can assure you management is far detached from reality. First it was the push to full digital back in early 2020, to eliminate the need for forms. This forced clients to use the online process which often was clunky and didn't work (something as simple as not entering dashes in certain fields would cause the whole form to be deleted or stop). Then it was the change to delete the message center for anyone who was not a flagship client. The leaders of Vanguard are in over their heads and worried about politicism than actually doing what's right for their crew and shareholders.
There definitely is a leadership problem at Vanguard. There is a massive disconnect between what they want and what the client is actually getting. I am positive that these decisions have cost vanguard revenue.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Yawn. The prior version while better than the current version, still was not as rich as the website functionality. I barely used the app as a result. The touchID was the single most compelling feature to me, but I often ended up at the website even with the old version. Just deleted the app and replaced with a shortcut to them site login.

Note I also use etrade, and while their app is useful, still not as useful as the website. For as often as I make trades, both websites are comprehensive and I don’t worry about the need to use an iphone/small screen. In fact on my ipad I never install these apps, just use website. Tried them on my iphone only but find I don’t love the small screen nor any compromise due to subset of features when focused in important financial transactions.

Still I don’t get why they wasted $ re-writing this app, especially to come up with an inferior result. Probably the ONLY feature I find useful on iphones is mobile check deposit. If they have that, I will re-install the app (after I transition my acct which is on the old platform where no transactions are supported in new app, as warned by Vanguard).
Last edited by beyou on Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BitTooAggressive

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:11 pm
JackGatsby wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:05 pm

There definitely is a leadership problem at Vanguard. There is a massive disconnect between what they want and what the client is actually getting. I am positive that these decisions have cost vanguard revenue.
I agree.
Vanguard is solely run for the upper level executives IMO. It’s been hijacked. I would rather a company be accountable to its shareholders than this mess.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

yeah i was officially 'blocked' by the old app ... trying to use mobile check deposit.

i gave up and sent the check in via regular mail... i'm such a loser... :oops:

------------------------------------------
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I had to log in to Vanguard's website to make my monthly SEP-IRA contribution (not a "feature" that is available yet on the new app), and hoo boy, is that a clunky and ugly website. I hadn't used it in forever because I was doing all I needed happily on the old app. The website looks like it hasn't been updated since 20009. The poor app rollout and loss of features, coupled with forcing me back onto a terrible website makes me concerned about Vanguard's decision making in general now. I had even downloaded Beacon to try it out (whhhyyyy did they offer two apps at the same time for a while?) and ended up deleting it fairly quickly because it had such reduced functionality. I just really don't understand why Vanguard went full steam ahead on what appears to be an early beta version.
Sarah
BitTooAggressive

englishgirl wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:12 pm I had to log in to Vanguard's website to make my monthly SEP-IRA contribution (not a "feature" that is available yet on the new app), and hoo boy, is that a clunky and ugly website. I hadn't used it in forever because I was doing all I needed happily on the old app. The website looks like it hasn't been updated since 20009. The poor app rollout and loss of features, coupled with forcing me back onto a terrible website makes me concerned about Vanguard's decision making in general now. I had even downloaded Beacon to try it out (whhhyyyy did they offer two apps at the same time for a while?) and ended up deleting it fairly quickly because it had such reduced functionality. I just really don't understand why Vanguard went full steam ahead on what appears to be an early beta version.
Because the people running vanguard are not very bright, there are a lot of fragmented sandboxes, and no overall accountability on a large scope.
Professorplumb

Vanguard’s new mobile app

Post by Professorplumb »

Have read about the significant disappointment in Vanguard’s new Mobil app. To say it’s a disaster seems an understatement! Has there been any response by Vanguard management to the criticism?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Professorplumb, Welcome! I moved your post into the ongoing discussion.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

So, I help a few of my nieces and nephews with the retirement investing and strategy (mostly texting with them about this and that.) Mostly, they are don't peak, long-term type investors.

Today, out of the blue, one of them just texted me. Here is a verbatim transcript of the exchange:
Young'un: The vanguard app has made my life so much easier!

Me: Which app do you use? The iPhone app?

Young'un: sends me a pic of the vanguard app (latest version) for iPhone

Me: That is good!

Young'un: I hate their website. It doesn't make sense to common folks like me lol

Me: That is funny, I am definitely partial to the website.

Young'un: Did I tell you I just maxed out my 401k this year? ....
The young'un just downloaded the latest version of the Vanguard app for the iPhone and loves it!

I believe this supports the idea that the complainers (me included) are not the target audience for the new app......

I had the same observation about their 401K site recently.

BTW, my son and I just had a discussion about this exchange and his answer was, sure they are trying to do Robinhood, as in make something complicated appear simple!

This made me try the trade screens in the new app and they are pretty darn simple vs. the website. I may start doing all our transactions from the app and see how it goes....
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Young'uns probable will never drive a car with a manual transmission either. :D

I say that as a wise crack, but there's an analogy here. I think the anecdote is right. They would prefer to set and forget. They don't want to worry about torque curves, perfect shifts, double clutching, etc. That's for us old folks.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

retiringwhen wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:11 pm So, I help a few of my nieces and nephews with the retirement investing and strategy (mostly texting with them about this and that.) Mostly, they are don't peak, long-term type investors.

Today, out of the blue, one of them just texted me. Here is a verbatim transcript of the exchange:

Young'un: I hate their website. It doesn't make sense to common folks like me lol

The young'un just downloaded the latest version of the Vanguard app for the iPhone and loves it!

I believe this supports the idea that the complainers (me included) are not the target audience for the new app......

BTW, my son and I just had a discussion about this exchange and his answer was, sure they are trying to do Robinhood, as in make something complicated appear simple!

This made me try the trade screens in the new app and they are pretty darn simple vs. the website. I may start doing all our transactions from the app and see how it goes....
As long as you don't need to...

1. Exchange mutual funds
2. Purchase mutual funds directly from a bank account
3. View cost basis for individual tax lots
The list goes on...
rob

Post by rob »

retiringwhen wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:11 pm I had the same observation about their 401K site recently.
The 401 side is a classic case in what NOT to do for web devl... a mixed bag of old and new with 1/2 a**ed inks under we are redeveloping sentences but here is link to the old bit for this function. It's terrible and 1/2 done.... It's hard to find what I need in there - try getting the nbr of units by contribution source (if you can find it... it's subtle and hidden under one of those).

It's better than this app however.... still bad but better in a relative sense. You can see the same thought process in place though and that's too bad. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the 401K site since I have a great SV fund from a past employer. I am not stuck with this worsening other stuff and am actively investigating options.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

retiringwhen wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:11 pm So, I help a few of my nieces and nephews with the retirement investing and strategy (mostly texting with them about this and that.) Mostly, they are don't peak, long-term type investors.

I just did a transfer for a bonus with M1. At M1 you have no idea what your cost basis is per tax lot. They just show average. You need to log in to another company, apex something or other to see your cost basis. It’s there, but it takes effort. I think it goes to show that maybe youngins don’t care about such stuff.

Tastyworks also is missing a lot of functionality that I enjoy at vanguard website.

I bet robinhood is no different though don’t have an account with them.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

CRC_Volunteer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am My neighbor locked her iPhone using Face ID. Her tween daughter learned by holding her Mom’s phone to her Mom’s face while she slept, it would unlock the phone.
There's a setting requiring you to open your eyes and look at the phone for it to work.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

pasadena wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:39 am
There's a setting requiring you to open your eyes and look at the phone for it to work.
I tested this a few times and it won’t unlock if my eyes are closed.
CRC_Volunteer

Post by CRC_Volunteer »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:26 am
pasadena wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:39 am
I tested this a few times and it won’t unlock if my eyes are closed.
All I know is that my neighbor’s kids did somehow, as I let them know their dog was out, and the response was not that of an adult. That is when their mother told me what the kids were doing.
RoboFan

Post by RoboFan »

Clearly the vast majority of long-time users hate this update. There have been suggestions that that Vanguard’s senior managers do not know what is going on, or that the App developer per se are incompetent. I find both of these suggestions unlikely.

I would argue that the Vanguard knows exactly what they are doing and that the App developers have created the user interface and feature set that they were asked to create (there could still be bugs in the software but this is true of most newly developed code ).

The real question is why management would want to remove feature that were already I n the app rather than adding new features, or making the existing features easier to use. My sense is Vanguard never really really embraced the concept of website or app. For example, they never embraced the idea of having their app automatically link external accounts. Fidelity’s App links outside accounts - including accounts held at Vanguard - apps by Mint a Personal Capital have this working. It’s Vanguard that has lagged in the transition to the cloud connected world most of us live in.

I would not be surprised to see Vanguard decimate the iPAD app next followed by removing features available in their Website. I suspect what they really want is for their clients to sign up for their Personal Advisory Service as they can charge for this. Essentially the apps they have now, or could build, provide “for free” the same advice and guidance their PAS is likely to provide for a substantial fee (percent of total holdings). They may be betting that most of their long-time clients will not leave, and that new younger clients will accept a simplified app together with PAS and that money generated generated from PAS will increase over time as the holdings being acquired by their younger clients holdings grow. With a long enough horizon they can weather any short-term decline in profits associated with a some clients leaving, while making more money on future clients. It’s an investment with long term potential.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Vanguard put out a new version in the Apple App Store today. Version 12.3.0.

The description says “We’ve made some small bug fixes and improvements”.

I couldn’t see any difference from previous version.