Do calculators exist that overlay actual retirement returns with historical

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
NearlyRetired

Do calculators exist that overlay actual retirement returns with historical

Post by NearlyRetired »

There are lots of calculators around that will allow you to see how your portfolio with expected expenditure would have performed historically. I am not talking about Monte Carlo simulations, but using the historical record. I personally have found these very useful when I was planning my retirement.

Most of these calculators are great for evaluating possible withdrawal rates against the historical record, but none seem to deal with the question of "how is my retirement going?"

Are the any calculators that exist, which can overlay your actual returns during retirement against historical records? By that I am thinking of something which could overlay annual returns over the years you have retired against the historical record? For example, if you have been retired for a full N years, then using the usual calculators, replacing the first N years of historical record with what your "historical" record had actually provided.

Does this help make sense of evaluating whether you are experiencing SORR or not - or can it? Does it make sense to try an overlay your current experience against the historical record to see what would have happened if the first "N" years where what you actually experienced and then reverted back to type?

Is this a valid thing to ask, or nonsensical - and if so, why would this not work?
To err is to be human, to really mess up, use a computer