American Association of Individual Investors?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Laurencita

American Association of Individual Investors?

Post by Laurencita »

I have continued to be marketed by this association for membership.

Do any of you belong? Are they valuable in any way? Thank you.
nedsaid

Re: American Association of Individual Investors?

Post by nedsaid »

I belonged to the National Association of Investment Clubs for a few years. Never was in an investment club but I went to a few of their events and with the membership fees came a subscription to their magazine. Pretty much, they teach you how to pick stocks and run a portfolio. It is very similar to the AAII. It might be fun but stock picking isn't a Boglehead thing.
A fool and his money are good for business.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I had a membership for a couple of years, about 20 years ago. At the time they had some interesting tools and publications for stock picking. But since I don’t pick individual stocks anymore, I haven’t kept track of what they’re up to anymore. Most of what they had back then is available for free in some form on the internet now, but I don’t know how their offerings have changed since then.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Many years ago when I had interest in stocks, but no money, they had some pretty nice stock screeners.

Now I have money, but no interest in screening stocks.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

I got a lifetime membership about 20 years ago.I think it was a couple hundred dollars at the time. I found it worth it for the monthly publication. There have been articles by Larry Swedroe, Paul Merriman, and other Boglehead-friendly authors as well as others with different philosophies/points of views. Also once a year there is a tax guide that is helpful. The monthly publication is now online instead of sent out. The local chapters have meetings with guest speakers; I went to one that featured Christine Benz last year. To me it is worth it.
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

boomergeneration wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:08 pm I got a lifetime membership about 20 years ago.I think it was a couple hundred dollars at the time. I found it worth it for the monthly publication. There have been articles by Larry Swedroe, Paul Merriman, and other Boglehead-friendly authors as well as others with different philosophies/points of views. Also once a year there is a tax guide that is helpful. The monthly publication is now online instead of sent out. The local chapters have meetings with guest speakers; I went to one that featured Christine Benz last year. To me it is worth it.
Yup. Got my lifetime membership for $345 40 years ago. $8.63/yr ... at that rate one article a year is worth it. One good tax tip a year and it's saved me much more than that over the years.

A big no on the individual stock screen marketing, but that's what the spam button is for :wink:
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."