[Vanguard may remove secure messages, members transitioning out of Vanguard]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
anon_investor

Re: [Vanguard may remove secure messages, members transitioning out of Vanguard]

Post by anon_investor »

Lynette wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:37 pm 1. History that Vanguard has on my transactions such as Roth conversions etc. I do not download statements and assume that I would have to keep some transactions in Vanguard if I want to have access to their website.
Your Roth conversions should be captured on IRS Form 8606 and filed with your tax return for each applicable year, otherwise you may have a problem with the IRS...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Vanguard may remove secure messages, members transitioning out of Vanguard]

Post by LadyGeek »

The wiki has some background info: Roth IRA conversion (How to convert)
All Roth IRA conversions are reported in Part II of IRS Form 8606.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

ronin wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:42 pm Just looked at our VG Accounts today. When I log in, I noticed the Compose button is now gone however I see a new option to upload documents securely.
Oh, I did not notice that subtle new link :!:

And when you click on it, you can send a message. So if this is full extent of the change, it is really no change.

This is actually similar to Schwab's labeling, when you go to their message center, there is a link to "upload document" and you click on that to send a message (with or without a document).
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Perhaps your document can be a text file containing your question!
Thomas93

Post by Thomas93 »

I'm moving my assets from Vanguard to another broker. What documents should I make sure to download for my records? I tend to have everything as paperless. Before I close the account I want to make sure I download everything I might want in the future. I will also carefully check that cost bases accurately transport over. Thank you.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Thomas93 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:06 pm I'm moving my assets from Vanguard to another broker. What documents should I make sure to download for my records? I tend to have everything as paperless. Before I close the account I want to make sure I download everything I might want in the future. I will also carefully check that cost bases accurately transport over. Thank you.
Screenshot the cost basis screen for taxable, to make sure it transfers over correctly.

For anything else (but also for taxable) just grab the most recent statements, make sure they are accurate, then file them away in case you ever need to prove anything. I kept $1 in my taxable account to ensure I always have access to the VG portal, should I need so.
Thomas93

Post by Thomas93 »

nalor511 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:09 pm
Thomas93 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:06 pm I'm moving my assets from Vanguard to another broker. What documents should I make sure to download for my records? I tend to have everything as paperless. Before I close the account I want to make sure I download everything I might want in the future. I will also carefully check that cost bases accurately transport over. Thank you.
Screenshot the cost basis screen for taxable, to make sure it transfers over correctly.

For anything else (but also for taxable) just grab the most recent statements, make sure they are accurate, then file them away in case you ever need to prove anything. I kept $1 in my taxable account to ensure I always have access to the VG portal, should I need so.
Great idea, thanks! There is no account minimum, or fees if below a certain threshold? If not, that makes a lot of sense. I think I'll keep the account open through next tax season in case I need to access the portal.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Thomas93 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:16 pm
nalor511 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:09 pm

Great idea, thanks! There is no account minimum, or fees if below a certain threshold? If not, that makes a lot of sense. I think I'll keep the account open through next tax season in case I need to access the portal.
If you have everything set to e-delivery, no fees to keep $1 in the settlement fund. If you try to get paper mail there is a $20 fee (yearly?) https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/account-fees
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

nalor511 - Not as important for the transfer itself, but you should also note the beneficiaries on the Vanguard accounts. The IRA accounts are TOD (Transfer On Death). If anything bad happens, the funds won't go through probate.

If you've never looked at this before, now would be a good time. Fidelity gives reminders about this when new accounts are established. Estate planning questions can be asked in the personal finance forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:31 pm nalor511 - Not as important for the transfer itself, but you should also note the beneficiaries on the Vanguard accounts. The IRA accounts are TOD (Transfer On Death). If anything bad happens, the funds won't go through probate.

If you've never looked at this before, now would be a good time. Fidelity gives reminders about this when new accounts are established. Estate planning questions can be asked in the personal finance forum.
Totally, I think this is a "new account" thing that anyone should do any time they set up anything new (irrespective of transfers)
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

I called Vanguard today to see when they'll update me to Flagship status, I was told that the wait time was 5-8 minutes and that was how long I waited at 12:30 pm ET. I spoke to a very well spoken man, he was very helpful, said it will happen on 9/2 and he listened to what I had to tell him about this thread. I told him how after reading 6 or 7 pages of this thread I was seriously thinking about moving my tax privileged accounts to Schwab. I asked about the secure message function and he said there is a message function but I pressed about getting a secure message back and how people like to print it out and how some are hard of hearing and need that vs a phone call. He said he'd pass it along but as he knows and we know, it probably won't mean much.
evofxdwg

Post by evofxdwg »

Well..... Im confused.

Its Aug 31 and I still have a message center with a "compose" button and it works to open a window to type in text, complete with an "add attachment" icon that opens a finder window on my Mac to select a file. (I never noticed that before)

Is this message capability different than a "secure message"?

Will it go away tomorrow? I am Flagship status. Will it not go away for me? ( I read the first 2 or 3 pages and the last two pages of this string - did I miss something important)

I never saw or noticed a popup about it but I did have popups blocked until my most recent log on to check this.

Having probably used messaging maybe 5 times in 20+ years im not too concerned. I do like a written record of questions and responses.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

evofxdwg wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:07 am Well..... Im confused.

Its Aug 31 and I still have a message center with a "compose" button and it works to open a window to type in text, complete with an "add attachment" icon that opens a finder window on my Mac to select a file. (I never noticed that before)

Is this message capability different than a "secure message"?

Will it go away tomorrow? I am Flagship status. Will it not go away for me? ( I read the first 2 or 3 pages and the last two pages of this string - did I miss something important)

I never saw or noticed a popup about it but I did have popups blocked until my most recent log on to check this.

Having probably used messaging maybe 5 times in 20+ years im not too concerned. I do like a written record of questions and responses.
As far as anyone can tell, and some have been told by Vanguard, Flagship will keep secure messaging. We think…
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

jeffyscott wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:49 am
ronin wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:42 pm Just looked at our VG Accounts today. When I log in, I noticed the Compose button is now gone however I see a new option to upload documents securely.
Oh, I did not notice that subtle new link :!:

And when you click on it, you can send a message. So if this is full extent of the change, it is really no change.

This is actually similar to Schwab's labeling, when you go to their message center, there is a link to "upload document" and you click on that to send a message (with or without a document).
So now the prominent compose link is back for me and the "upload document" one is gone. As far as I can tell/remember, both links lead to the same place where you can compose a message and, optionally, attach a document.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:56 am Perhaps your document can be a text file containing your question!
We joke about this but I vaguely remember sending Vanguard a message like this 14 years ago. That was right before I overreacted (like many on this thread) over an account transfer mistake they made and left Vanguard for Etrade. A couple years after that, I left Etrade for Fidelity in order consolidate my accounts. I don't regret leaving Vanguard as a brokerage company but I'm still a strong believer in their index funds with almost half my investible assets in Vanguard funds. Like I mentioned before, I still believe that makes me the ideal Vanguard client (large assets in their funds with no customer service overhead).
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

The amount of time that some of us (me included) have spent on this thread and logging in to Vanguard to see if our SM is functional could have been better spent on hold for a VG rep when we actually have an issue down the road. LOL! :oops:
nps

Post by nps »

It's September and I still have the button. I don't see the difference either way. I submitted a question last week and it hasn't received an acknowledgement or a response.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I just got the popup trying to get me to "transition" to the brokerage system.
I chuckled at the comment that if I don't transition I may lose some features gradually.
They seemed to neglect to point out that if you DO transition you may also lose some features gradually.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

nps wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:11 pm It's September and I still have the button. I don't see the difference either way. I submitted a question last week and it hasn't received an acknowledgement or a response.
Maybe they'll keep it as a dummy, letting you send messages to /dev/null... Eventually you will call them anyway.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Da5id wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:00 pm
nps wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:11 pm It's September and I still have the button. I don't see the difference either way. I submitted a question last week and it hasn't received an acknowledgement or a response.
Maybe they'll keep it as a dummy, letting you send messages to /dev/null... Eventually you will call them anyway.
This year, I came to consider next day as a fast response since other messages took 3-4 days for a response (back in Jan).

So of those told they are losing messaging in Aug, did you lose it ? I was never told I would lose it and afaik still have it.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

I still have a red "compose" button in my message center at Vanguard.
Thomas93

Post by Thomas93 »

Finridge wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:10 pm I still have a red "compose" button in my message center at Vanguard.
I also still have a red "compose" button in my message center at Vanguard. :happy
barefootjan

Post by barefootjan »

beyou wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:16 pm
Da5id wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:00 pm
This year, I came to consider next day as a fast response since other messages took 3-4 days for a response (back in Jan).

So of those told they are losing messaging in Aug, did you lose it ? I was never told I would lose it and afaik still have it.
I’m currently a Voyager Select member, and I received the notice that secure messaging was going away. At this time, I can still send secure messages. What’s new is that there are printed guidelines on what types of problems they can address via secure messaging as well as a list of what file types can be attached to the message.

After reading many of the posts about problems folks have had with Vanguard in the past, and then thinking it all through, I now support the recent measures Vanguard has taken. From my admittedly limited perspective, I think they make sense. The most important obligation Vanguard has to its members is to get things right as often as possible, and set them right if things don’t go as planned. Their actions seem to reflect their desire to do just that.

Please don’t misunderstand me, though. I have great empathy for anyone who has had repeated difficulties getting good service, and I totally get being frustrated and needing to vent, even about any of the less serious issues.

Also, there are a couple of areas where I think Vanguard could make things a lot more convenient, like extending their phone hours. If I lived on the west coast I’d be very unhappy with the way it is now. The sooner they can fix that, the better.
Fingers crossed! :sharebeer
beyou

Post by beyou »

Maybe bad memory but I seem to recall they always had the above mentioned instructions for use of secure messaging :

We cannot accept monetary instructions or process brokerage trades via email request. Please call us if you need assistance in processing these transactions. If attaching an document to a message, we accept the following file types: .wls, .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf, .xls, .xlsx, and .pdf.

I do not perceive any changes as if today (but was never told it would be removed so didn’t expect any changes). Nobody lost the feature ? So August standoff ended in Vanguard backing down (or delayed) ?
barefootjan

Post by barefootjan »

beyou wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:09 pm Maybe bad memory but I seem to recall they always had the above mentioned instructions for use of secure messaging :

We cannot accept monetary instructions or process brokerage trades via email request. Please call us if you need assistance in processing these transactions. If attaching an document to a message, we accept the following file types: .wls, .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf, .xls, .xlsx, and .pdf.

I do not perceive any changes as if today (but was never told it would be removed so didn’t expect any changes). Nobody lost the feature ? So August standoff ended in Vanguard backing down (or delayed) ?

Huh. Cool. It's still the same then. ¯\_(ツ)_/
As far as I know, my husband wasn't notified a change was coming either. He's also Voyager Select. And he still has messaging.
Not too long ago, my cell phone company made announcements about upcoming changes and then went waaay past the supposed deadline. Google does something similar when they change things. I don't think it's an unusual strategy, so Vanguard's approach struck me as extremely short. (sort of like the government's tax changes regarding stretch IRAs :oops: )
Just out of curiosity, though, I'd love to know if anyone has already lost the messaging option.
Last edited by barefootjan on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

runninginvestor wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 am
Just logged into Vanguard and got this message:

"In August, you will no longer be able to contact us through the Message Center. However, electronic statements, confirmations, and important messages from Vanguard will still be available there.

Vanguard Support is here to help! Find answers to your questions through the site's user-friendly search feature and knowledge library, featuring tutorials and interactive tools. From top-trending questions to phone numbers, Vanguard Supporthas you covered.

Vanguard is committed to improving your experience on our website and mobile app. If you're interested in helping us pilot new digital experiences, please register using the link below."

Is anyone else getting this? Don't want to turn this into a full rant thread, but if this is the case, just forewarning for people who may be thinking of switching to VG.
I logged in Vanguard tonight and was able to send a secure message. Has something changed as my understanding was that the messaging piece of the account was to be terminated in August.

🚀
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:15 pm
I logged in Vanguard tonight and was able to send a secure message. Has something changed as my understanding was that the messaging piece of the account was to be terminated in August.

🚀
Tony
I have no idea. There are rumblings that at certain asset levels it might not have gone away, yet. It seemed like a opaque plan.
DividendMickey

Post by DividendMickey »

I just logged in and I am still able to compose a message to my "Voyager service team."

Not understanding why they say a thing is going to happen, it doesn't happen, and they leave you in the dark about next/future steps.

Really poorly handled on Vanguard's part, and not a confidence-inspiring move.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:15 pm
Just logged into Vanguard and got this message:

"In August, you will no longer be able to contact us through the Message Center. However, electronic statements, confirmations, and important messages from Vanguard will still be available there.

Vanguard Support is here to help! Find answers to your questions through the site's user-friendly search feature and knowledge library, featuring tutorials and interactive tools. From top-trending questions to phone numbers, Vanguard Supporthas you covered.

Vanguard is committed to improving your experience on our website and mobile app. If you're interested in helping us pilot new digital experiences, please register using the link below."

Is anyone else getting this? Don't want to turn this into a full rant thread, but if this is the case, just forewarning for people who may be thinking of switching to VG.

🚀
Tony
Tony....I sent a secure message on 9/1 and received a reply on 9/9, so it seems to be working, at least for now.
I have "Voyager" status.
Have a great weekend,
Don
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

8 day turn around time? Wow, now that's service! :oops:
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Tubes wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:49 pm 8 day turn around time? Wow, now that's service! :oops:
Their service obviously has gone down the tubes. :P
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:08 pm
Tubes wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:49 pm 8 day turn around time? Wow, now that's service! :oops:
<rimshot>

:D
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:08 pm
+1
PersonalFinanceJam

Post by PersonalFinanceJam »

I was curious today to see if I still had the red compose button. We have no accounts left at Vanguard. All of our assets were transferred in March of this year. Before the move we were voyager select, now I guess we are life boat class. That said my online access still works and I’m still authorized on my parents very small account. I went to messages and the red compose button is still there.
SxSW

Re: VG Removing Message Center

Post by SxSW »

stan1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:48 am I'm all for it. Put the internal knowledge base their reps cut and paste from online so it shows up in search engines.
That'll never happen. It's full of confidential and proprietary information.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

But only 5 business days!
cuda74360

Post by cuda74360 »

I still have secure messaging and sent them a message to see how fast they would respond. I asked why I hadn't been upgraded to 'Voyager Select' yet and listed all my Vanguard assets which should qualify me. I really don't care since it doesn't mean anything any more, but this was just a test to see if their customer service has gotten as bad as I keep hearing that it is. I finally got a reply today, 7 business days later, and the rep simply copied and pasted generic info from their website and didn't actually address my question at all.

If secure messaging is going away, it probably won't make a difference as it's pretty useless in its current state.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

cuda74360 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 pm ...

If secure messaging is going away, it probably won't make a difference as it's pretty useless in its current state.
My experience with VG as well, useless, good riddance. Schwab and Fidelity actually answer my questions via messaging
gubernaculum

Does Vanguard allow you to email them or send them a secure message?

Post by gubernaculum »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I tried to make a trade today which Vanguard blocked, due to the type of asset (TQQQ), and I looked at ways to send them a message. I went to the message center and I couldnt find a button to compose a message. The only way I could send them anything is by "uploading a document". I have to say that I was very surprised at the difficulty to send an internal email and the lack of chat support. Is Vanguard becoming obsolete?

Re: Does Vanguard allow you to email them or send them a secure message?

Post by 000 »

Did you see this thread? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=354745

I still have the Compose button in the message center BTW. I guess I must be a very special vanguard customer.

Anyway, TMK they won't let anyone trade most leveraged ETFs on their platform.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Just tried myself, and in the message center, top left, is a big button that says COMPOSE.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

Thank you, I guess I didnt see the announcement by Vanguard or missed it. What are they doing? Customer support should be their #1 priority. I will move the funds to Fidelity.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

RudyS wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 pm Just tried myself, and in the message center, top left, is a big button that says COMPOSE.
And I dont have it in my message center. Tried EDGE and GOOGLE CHROME browsers.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

gubernaculum wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 pm Thank you, I guess I didnt see the announcement by Vanguard or missed it. What are they doing? Customer support should be their #1 priority. I will move the funds to Fidelity.
Customer support?? No, they're making it clear they would not like to have retail customers, unless they pay the 0.3% AUM fee for VPAS.

Vanguard the indexing operation is great. The retail brokerage, though, has virtually nothing to recommend it above any number of brokerages where you can buy Vanguard ETFs for free.

Post by 000 »

Most likely they removed your ability to send a message. It's not totally clear why some still have the compose button. But anyway this is the link to the message center where I see a compose button:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/SMCInformationCenter
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

I must be blind but after clicking your link, I dont see compose button
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

gubernaculum wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 pm Thank you, I guess I didnt see the announcement by Vanguard or missed it. What are they doing? Customer support should be their #1 priority. I will move the funds to Fidelity.
Good move

Post by 000 »

gubernaculum wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:28 pm I must be blind but after clicking your link, I dont see compose button
Then they have turned it off for you (unless your computer is broken).
Gort

Post by Gort »

gubernaculum wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 pm I tried to make a trade today which Vanguard blocked, due to the type of asset (TQQQ), and I looked at ways to send them a message. I went to the message center and I couldnt find a button to compose a message. The only way I could send them anything is by "uploading a document". I have to say that I was very surprised at the difficulty to send an internal email and the lack of chat support. Is Vanguard becoming obsolete?
Setting the obsolescence question aside, why would you be blocked from buying TQQQ?
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

The message was that they dont allow leveraged funds to be traded. Rep corroborated it, and when I asked, can you send me a list of funds that I cant buy via Vanguard, he couldnt provide me with that information.

In response to Vanguard announcement about cutting internal messaging, their rep on the phone claimed that I still have access to compose my message. So clearly, they are not on the same page at Vanguard about what is still available in terms of services. Very disappointing.