[Vanguard may remove secure messages, members transitioning out of Vanguard]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
runninginvestor

[Vanguard may remove secure messages, members transitioning out of Vanguard]

Post by runninginvestor »

[Title was "VG Removing Message Center [Vanguard]" - This discussion started as an announcement that Vanguard would be removing the ability for account holders to send secure messages to Vanguard. The ensuing reaction inspired a number of members to move, or to consider moving, their accounts from Vanguard to another brokerage such as Fidelity or Schwab.

Use this thread to discuss Vanguard's secure messages, and / or, transitioning to a brokerage other than Vanguard as a result of this announcement.

--admin LadyGeek]

Just logged into Vanguard and got this message:

"In August, you will no longer be able to contact us through the Message Center. However, electronic statements, confirmations, and important messages from Vanguard will still be available there.

Vanguard Support is here to help! Find answers to your questions through the site's user-friendly search feature and knowledge library, featuring tutorials and interactive tools. From top-trending questions to phone numbers, Vanguard Supporthas you covered.

Vanguard is committed to improving your experience on our website and mobile app. If you're interested in helping us pilot new digital experiences, please register using the link below."

Is anyone else getting this? Don't want to turn this into a full rant thread, but if this is the case, just forewarning for people who may be thinking of switching to VG.
bondsr4me

Re: VG Removing Message Center

Post by bondsr4me »

Just logged-in...got the same message.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Saw that too, and copied the one message that I needed to retain.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Yesterdaysnews

Post by Yesterdaysnews »

What is going on? I’m not a big fan of this, I liked getting help easily over messages.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I just logged in and did not get any message about the Message Center.

This would be disappointing if they eliminate it. Most of the time, their reply to me is "Call" - indicating that they don't answer questions other than basic ones via message. However, in the past I have had a couple of fairly complicated situations to work through with them and what was helpful was to lay it all out in a message to my Flagship rep so he/she could research it and/or make arrangements to connect me with someone inside VG who had the right expertise.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Maybe they are going to set up a live chat feature. But removing messages still doesn't make sense.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Don't worry...that feature will be back. As soon as they figure out how to monetize it! :shock:

Another move backwards. VG seems bound and determined to drive retail investors to Fidelity and Schwab.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

gwe67 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:33 am Maybe they are going to set up a live chat feature. But removing messages still doesn't make sense.
If so they completely incompetent that they communicated that they are removing a useful feature without communicating that something even better is coming to replace it.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

galawdawg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:37 am Don't worry...that feature will be back. As soon as they figure out how to monetize it! :shock:

Another move backwards. VG seems bound and determined to drive retail investors to Fidelity and Schwab.
Maybe will be a key feature of VPAS. Will only cost you 0.3%. :twisted:
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Where or how does this message appear upon login? I don't see it yet, but don't doubt that others do.

That was the most effective way to communicate with them, especially on a more detailed issue.

The quoted message is written in such a way that it could be user-specific. Same questions around what drives any given outcome as those who retained Flagship reps / relationship managers and those who did not.
Last edited by Cheez-It Guy on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
runninginvestor

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:45 am Where or how does this message appear upon login? I don't see it yet, but don't doubt that others do.

That was the most effective way to communicate with them, especially on a more detailed issue.
Not sure. I logged on earlier, didn't receive the message, but got called away to do something and then logged in probably about 45 minutes later and it showed up that time.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I'm all for it. Put the internal knowledge base their reps cut and paste from online so it shows up in search engines. Then I don't need to interact with them except for complex transactions that can't be done on the web site which require an in-person call. I don't want to pay for Vanguard employees to respond to message queries from people who don't know how to search. Let those folks who want extra attention pay for PAS or go to Fidelity or Schwab until they have to change their customer service model also. I'd be fine with a $10/message and $20/call fee to ask a question that could be answered by search also. I'd even pay $50-100 per incident for concierge service that would give me a single point of contact accountable to me for any request or action I had with Vanguard (basically what a Flagship rep used to do). I would use it maybe once every few years, but if I had a significant problem I'd like to have accountability for getting it fixed and not be routed into a call center. It would just be a small annoyance like paying for an aisle seat on a flight.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

runninginvestor wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:48 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:45 am Where or how does this message appear upon login? I don't see it yet, but don't doubt that others do.

Not sure. I logged on earlier, didn't receive the message, but got called away to do something and then logged in probably about 45 minutes later and it showed up that time.
I just logged in again and saw the same message.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

jebmke wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:30 am I just logged in and did not get any message about the Message Center.

This would be disappointing if they eliminate it. Most of the time, their reply to me is "Call" - indicating that they don't answer questions other than basic ones via message. However, in the past I have had a couple of fairly complicated situations to work through with them and what was helpful was to lay it all out in a message to my Flagship rep so he/she could research it and/or make arrangements to connect me with someone inside VG who had the right expertise.
Yes it would be disappointing. I recently got some help with an in-kind transfer using the messaging system. They never asked me to call, but I haven't messaged them enough to know whether they usually say to call or not.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

I logged in earlier today and saw no message. Just logged in and saw no message. I have a Flagship rep though.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

Vanguard is committed to improving your experience on our website and mobile app.
...right :oops:
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

gwe67 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:33 am Maybe they are going to set up a live chat feature. But removing messages still doesn't make sense.
Yes, I'm a big fan of the live chat feature.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:20 pm
Yes, I'm a big fan of the live chat feature.
Knowing Vanguard they will not be able to support a live chat feature, and messages will just slip quietly away into the night.

Now, one of those fake "virtual advisor" services that isn't actually a person, but really just an interface to search the site? That, I could see them doing.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

One problem with live chat is that if the person on the other end needs to do any kind of research or consult an expert, you really get nowhere with them. It is more of a synchronous model. The message center allows you to deal with an issue asynchronously.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
DesertGator

Post by DesertGator »

"Let's eliminate a convenient and asynchronous way customers can communicate with us. We've got help files, that should be enough".

Last nail in the VG coffin for me. Goodbye Vanguard, effective 12/31/2021.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

It would make sense for Vanguard to task at least one employee with monitoring this forum, even if infrequently. Maybe they can sense the amount of pushback this decision would cause.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

gwe67 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:15 pm It would make sense for Vanguard to task at least one employee with monitoring this forum, even if infrequently. Maybe they can sense the amount of pushback this decision would cause.
+1....I agree....maybe they are now...who knows for sure.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

stan1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:48 am I'm all for it. Put the internal knowledge base their reps cut and paste from online so it shows up in search engines. Then I don't need to interact with them except for complex transactions that can't be done on the web site which require an in-person call. I don't want to pay for Vanguard employees to respond to message queries from people who don't know how to search. Let those folks who want extra attention pay for PAS or go to Fidelity or Schwab until they have to change their customer service model also. I'd be fine with a $10/message and $20/call fee to ask a question that could be answered by search also. I'd even pay $50-100 per incident for concierge service that would give me a single point of contact accountable to me for any request or action I had with Vanguard (basically what a Flagship rep used to do). I would use it maybe once every few years, but if I had a significant problem I'd like to have accountability for getting it fixed and not be routed into a call center. It would just be a small annoyance like paying for an aisle seat on a flight.
Fidelity and Schwab and a whole slew of others keep adding features to their sites and lowering fees. Vanguard keeps taking away features and not lowering their fees.

You don’t want to pay for Vanguard reps to answer messages so great now they won’t but you’ll be paying the same amount you paid before.

Kudos to Vanguard for building up so much customer loyalty that their customers celebrate when they pay the same for less and view with suspicion any brokerage who offers more for less.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

lazynovice wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:31 pm
stan1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:48 am I'm all for it. Put the internal knowledge base their reps cut and paste from online so it shows up in search engines. Then I don't need to interact with them except for complex transactions that can't be done on the web site which require an in-person call. I don't want to pay for Vanguard employees to respond to message queries from people who don't know how to search. Let those folks who want extra attention pay for PAS or go to Fidelity or Schwab until they have to change their customer service model also. I'd be fine with a $10/message and $20/call fee to ask a question that could be answered by search also. I'd even pay $50-100 per incident for concierge service that would give me a single point of contact accountable to me for any request or action I had with Vanguard (basically what a Flagship rep used to do). I would use it maybe once every few years, but if I had a significant problem I'd like to have accountability for getting it fixed and not be routed into a call center. It would just be a small annoyance like paying for an aisle seat on a flight.
Fidelity and Schwab and a whole slew of others keep adding features to their sites and lowering fees. Vanguard keeps taking away features and not lowering their fees.

You don’t want to pay for Vanguard reps to answer messages so great now they won’t but you’ll be paying the same amount you paid before.

Kudos to Vanguard for building up so much customer loyalty that their customers celebrate when they pay the same for less and view with suspicion any brokerage who offers more for less.
+1
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

runninginvestor wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 am Is anyone else getting this?
Yes, I just logged in and saw the same thing you did. I am at Voyager level, if that gives a useful data point.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

bondsr4me wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:33 pm

+1.....I sure miss Jack being around....
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

bondsr4me wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:34 pm
bondsr4me wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:33 pm

+1.....I sure miss Jack not being around....
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

jebmke wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:56 pm One problem with live chat is that if the person on the other end needs to do any kind of research or consult an expert, you really get nowhere with them. It is more of a synchronous model. The message center allows you to deal with an issue asynchronously.
I would like to see a message center and live chat.
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

It's a shame they're killing it. The message center is perfect where you'd like a written answer but it's not urgent.

But also disappointing from a professional perspective: Building the original "secure message service" was my first project as a Vanguard employee in 1996 (I'm now retired).
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

As another point, I have Flagship and didn't see such a message.

I really prefer messaging too. When I call I usually get through quite quickly and the people on the phone are usually competent and helpful. But I still like the clarity (and permanent record if I print them out) of communicating by written message rather than by phone. Less chance of misunderstandings, or if there are misunderstandings they feel easier to sort out.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

They could start with robo-chat to direct you to a help article. If that doesn't work, a live chat could happen. If this fails, they could send you a secure message later on. Hopefully they at least allow customers to receive answers via messages or emails.

Or they could just rely on Bogleheads to be their customer support.
Topic Author
runninginvestor

My concern about going to help files, it seems like any helpful file I try and look up without being logged in, they require me to log in.

Which I don't like, especially if I'm researching how to do something away from the computer where I normally would log into.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

gwe67 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:15 pm It would make sense for Vanguard to task at least one employee with monitoring this forum, even if infrequently. Maybe they can sense the amount of pushback this decision would cause.
I'm pretty sure that they do have at least one person monitoring this.

["Hello there, nice Vanguard rep." :twisted: )

Several years ago, there was an exchange here on BH where the (or one of the?) Vanguard rep posted a few times. And she gave her Vanguard contact info.
There was some discussion of what some here had found out from her, etc.

Not much later, those posts... vanished.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Voyager Select (passed Flagship threshold not long ago and waiting for it to go through), got the message.

I've found automated search for help to be not very useful, most of the time I contact them because of fairly specific questions and requests that I'd prefer to be done asynchronously through messages rather than having to wait on the phone (assuming they haven't dropped phone service yet.)

Fidelity still has this, and my 401(k) is there. I've heard good things about Schwab, and they have their own low-cost ETFs.

At least Vanguard still has popups about VAS for 0.3% :oops:
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

This is great news for those who own Vanguard funds but not at Vanguard! :twisted:
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

lazynovice wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:31 pm ...
Vanguard keeps taking away features
This is so unfortunately true.

Seven years ago, VG promoted our very knowledgeable rep to a higher position and assigned a newbie rep who didn't stay long, the next two were no better. We waited patiently for them to mature but VG got rid of the reps all together last year. We then depended heavily on the secure message center to get answers for our specific situations. Now that is going away too. I guess we will have to que up for the 800 number and hope for a reasonable wait time.

I miss the good old days.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Whakamole wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:51 pm At least Vanguard still has popups about VAS for 0.3% :oops:
I wonder if messages will be a feature of PAS, and perhaps of Flagship and above. With PAS you have a specific contact. With Flagship, at least on my display, "Send a secure message" is listed on the web page under a "FLAGSHIP SERVICES" header on the overview page.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Did anybody sign up to help Vanguard pilot new digital experiences?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

For those receiving the "message", please describe it. Is it a pop-up upon login, a new secure message (to tell you messages are going away), or something else?
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:03 pm For those receiving the "message", please describe it. Is it a pop-up upon login, a new secure message (to tell you messages are going away), or something else?
It's a pop up when you log in. You can't miss it.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Changes coming to your Message Center
In August, you will no longer be able to contact us through the Message Center. However, electronic statements, confirmations, and important messages from Vanguard will still be available there.

Vanguard Supportis here to help! Find answers to your questions through the site's user-friendly search feature and knowledge library, featuring tutorials and interactive tools. From top-trending questions to phone numbers, Vanguard Supporthas you covered.

Vanguard is committed to improving your experience on our website and mobile app. If you're interested in helping us pilot new digital experiences, please register using the link below.
It's a popup on login for my mom's account (Steerage Client e.g. no status, single taxable account).
I signed her up for the pilot. It said they would be in touch.

We don't have it on our accounts (Flagship, about 8 accounts combo of taxables, Roths, Traditionals, etc)
Last edited by stan1 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

That message did not appear on my Vanguard account, but a minute later, when logging into DH's account, there it was.
:confused

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Angst

Post by Angst »

Does it depend upon HOW you login? I normally use an URL that goes straight to my Balances & Holdings page. I did NOT get the message there, but then I clicked the "My Accounts" link (top left of page) and in the "pull down" menu it brought up I chose "Account Overview" and it brought up the message. Here's the url if anyone logs in differently and wants to try this:

https://personal.vanguard.com/web/cfv/secure-overview-webapp/

BTW, I clicked the sign-up option at the bottom of the message and it took me to a new message that said:
Vanguard wrote:Thank you for your interest.

You don't need to take action at this time. We'll reach out when testing opportunities are available.
Of course I'm not sure if this means that my login ID somehow put me on a future "reach out" list, or whether the previous option to participate simply isn't quite ready for prime time. :D
Last edited by Angst on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Have any Flashship Select or PAS clients received the message about removing messaging?
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Whakamole wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:09 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:03 pm For those receiving the "message", please describe it. Is it a pop-up upon login, a new secure message (to tell you messages are going away), or something else?
It's a pop up when you log in. You can't miss it.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:38 pm
jebmke wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:56 pm One problem with live chat is that if the person on the other end needs to do any kind of research or consult an expert, you really get nowhere with them. It is more of a synchronous model. The message center allows you to deal with an issue asynchronously.
I would like to see a message center and live chat.
Fidelity and Schwab have both. It appears Vanguard will soon have neither.

I doubt they will add chat, if they were doing that, I would think that the pop-up would say so, instead it gives a link to "Vanguard Support", which takes you to:

Toons

Post by Toons »

Fine with me.
No problem
Just Opportunity

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

As a Schwab customer, I can't speak for Fidelity, but here are the ways I can speak with someone at Schwab:

1. My dedicated senior financial consultant (CFP, CWS, 22 yrs at Schwab) by direct phone line
2. My dedicated senior financial consultant by direct email
3. His senior financial consultant partner by direct phone line
4. His senior financial consultant partner by direct email
5. Schwab customer service by phone 24/7
6. Schwab customer service by live chat, M-F 9am-9pm
7. Schwab customer service by secure message

And now at Vanguard?

1. Vanguard customer service by phone, M-F (except holidays), 8am-10pm eastern time

Perhaps this will translate to lower fund expense ratios for those of us who hold Vanguard funds but hold them at other brokerages. But the cynical side of me suspects that any cost-savings will not be passed along to "client-owners." Time will tell.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

galawdawg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:01 pm As a Schwab customer, I can't speak for Fidelity, but here are the ways I can speak with someone at Schwab:

1. My dedicated senior financial consultant (CFP, CWS, 22 yrs at Schwab) by direct phone line
2. My dedicated senior financial consultant by direct email
3. His senior financial consultant partner by direct phone line
4. His senior financial consultant partner by direct email
5. Schwab customer service by phone 24/7
6. Schwab customer service by live chat, M-F 9am-9pm
7. Schwab customer service by secure message

And now at Vanguard?

1. Vanguard customer service by phone, M-F (except holidays), 8am-10pm eastern time

Perhaps this will translate to lower fund expense ratios for those of us who hold Vanguard funds but hold them at other brokerages. But the cynical side of me suspects that any cost-savings will not be passed along to "client-owners." Time will tell.
Your point still stands, but you're comparing and enumerating your elite level at Schwab based on assets to the most basic access level at Vanguard. Some still have secure messages and even a relationship manager with whom appointments can be scheduled (outside PAS). If you were still at Vanguard, you probably would as well. Maybe that also goes away in the short-term future.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Made me look, Flagship here no mention of messaging going away.