How many people do publicly traded companies employ?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Tandoori

How many people do publicly traded companies employ?

Post by Tandoori »

A Total Stock Market Index like VTSAX represents about 3850-3990 companies, but how many employees total are there across those publicly traded companies, roughly? I am trying to quantify this for my students. :happy
Dave55

Re: How many people do publicly traded companies employ?

Post by Dave55 »

My very rough estimate is 10-15 million, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... s_globally

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

The Google sez...1/3 of US non farm workers.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Dave55 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:01 pm My very rough estimate is 10-15 million, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... s_globally

Dave
A fair number of those large corporations are either not public or are foreign.

Annual reports list the number of employees. IIRC, contractors don’t count. Franchise employees don’t count, so exclude most of McDonald employees.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

If google to "how many people work at US large companies" and first thing that appears says, "Using census data, the WSJ calculated that 36.2 percent of people worked at either a large (2,500 to 9,999 people) or very large (10,000 or more people) company, versus 38.9 percent who worked for small (100 or fewer people) companies and 24.9 percent who worked for mid-sized (100 to 2,499 people).7 Apr 2017" Eliminate the 38.9% of companies with 100 or fewer emplyees as unlikely to be in the total market list and estimate 10 of the 24.9 percent of mid-sized are public companies that may be in the total market list, leads roughly to 46% of company employees in companies that may be among the total market fund list. Another google suggests 158 million employed in the US. As a rough, order of magnitude estimate, 70 million people are employed at companies in the total stock market index fund.
Regards, | | Guy
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

No idea how to estimate it across the broad market, but the number of employees is something typically reported in the companies periodic financial statements. Yahoo! Finance has the number of full time employees conveiniently quoted at the top of a stocks "Profile". Different industries are more labor/workforce intensive, and the size of the company isn't a good gauge of how many employees.
Ford a $55 Billion market-cap company has 186,000 Full Time Employees
Berkshire Hathaway a >$650 Billion market-cap company has 360,000 Full Time Employees
Facebook a >$1 trillion market-cap company has 60,654 Full Time Employees

Amazon has 1,271,000 Full Time Employees
Walmart 2,200,000
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Dave55 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:01 pm My very rough estimate is 10-15 million, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... s_globally

Dave
Dave employs that many people on his very own personal island that he owns.

😂🤣

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:16 pm

Dave
Dave employs that many people on his very own personal island that he owns.

😂🤣

Tony
Tony that was a well kept secret....... :wink:

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not actionable as an investing topic). See: Investing - Theory, News & General
If it's investment related and it doesn't fall into the above category it goes here. Examples of acceptable topics include news about new fund offerings, pointers to academic papers about investing issues, questions about the proper role of a particular asset class in a portfolio, or questions about Vanguard policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.