Unannounced Change at Vanguard [no Market Alerts for mutual funds]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
colodane

Unannounced Change at Vanguard [no Market Alerts for mutual funds]

Post by colodane »

My Vanguard accounts both contain only mutual funds - no ETFs or individual stocks. For many years I have been signed up for their Market Alert service which provide end-of-day gain/loss info for each fund via email after the market closes. A couple days ago they stopped showing up.

Today I went to Vanguard and checked my settings. They still offer the Market Alert emails, but the definition now says "Stocks and ETFs" - no mention of mutual funds. But yet the detailed info on that web page shows each of my mutual funds and that they are all subscribed to the Market Alert service.

I'm guessing this is another "incentive" to get everyone to move to the new Brokerage accounts. But it is a disappointment to me. At a minimum, it was very poorly handled with no notification in advance.

Anyone else have any input on why this is happening?
jebmke

Re: Unannounced Change at Vanguard

Post by jebmke »

I didn't even know this existed, to be candid. Don't even know why it is needed. But, if this is a mutual fund account (not brokerage account), you could be right -- this may be part of their shrinking of bells and whistles on the MF platform to get people to shift to brokerage. I plan to change our joint account (individual ones already done) but just haven't gotten around to it.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Starting with easiest first, did you happen to check your spam/junk folders?
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

colodane wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:09 am My Vanguard accounts both contain only mutual funds - no ETFs or individual stocks. For many years I have been signed up for their Market Alert service which provide end-of-day gain/loss info for each fund via email after the market closes. A couple days ago they stopped showing up.

Today I went to Vanguard and checked my settings. They still offer the Market Alert emails, but the definition now says "Stocks and ETFs" - no mention of mutual funds. But yet the detailed info on that web page shows each of my mutual funds and that they are all subscribed to the Market Alert service.

I'm guessing this is another "incentive" to get everyone to move to the new Brokerage accounts. But it is a disappointment to me. At a minimum, it was very poorly handled with no notification in advance.

Anyone else have any input on why this is happening?
Did you contact Vanguard to find out if market alerts for mutual funds was changed/discontinued or if there is a temporary glitch?

Also, have you checked your spam filter? I have periodically found emails were erroneously marked as spam that I have received trouble-free for years.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

jebmke wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:14 am I didn't even know this existed, to be candid. Don't even know why it is needed. But, if this is a mutual fund account (not brokerage account), you could be right -- this may be part of their shrinking of bells and whistles on the MF platform to get people to shift to brokerage. I plan to change our joint account (individual ones already done) but just haven't gotten around to it.
Vanguard is pushing to get folks to change from their MF-only platform to their brokerage platform. However, I haven’t seen a push to get folks to switch from mutual funds to ETFs. Note that the Help said it only worked for ETFs and stocks. So I would assume it would not work for MFs in a brokerage account.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

You could set up a watch portfolio for free on Morningstar.com and get this information. It would not be in email format (you just visit the web page to see results) but could provide additional information of interest over the Vanguard email format.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

prd1982 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:20 am
jebmke wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:14 am I didn't even know this existed, to be candid. Don't even know why it is needed. But, if this is a mutual fund account (not brokerage account), you could be right -- this may be part of their shrinking of bells and whistles on the MF platform to get people to shift to brokerage. I plan to change our joint account (individual ones already done) but just haven't gotten around to it.
Vanguard is pushing to get folks to change from their MF-only platform to their brokerage platform. However, I haven’t seen a push to get folks to switch from mutual funds to ETFs. Note that the Help said it only worked for ETFs and stocks. So I would assume it would not work for MFs in a brokerage account.
could be; have not looked into it on their site. No value to me.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
colodane

Post by colodane »

stan1 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 am Starting with easiest first, did you happen to check your spam/junk folders?
Indeed I did. Nothing there.

They have clearly changed their services without notifying their customers of the change. I completely understand that not everyone places the same value on each service as I do. I have no problem with that. I also have access to MorningStar. What I do have a problem with is that they change the product that people have been using for 20 years without the courtesy of a notice. Email is cheap.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Vanguard is not known for their IT infrastructure. Vanguard probably has no way of knowing which clients are using the market alert feature and which are not. Probably very few clients are using that feature, so that if Vanguard made an announcement about it that got sent to all clients, then we would have multiple threads on this forum from annoyed people about stupid announcements from Vanguard.

A 'fer instance' is that Vanguard changed their Portfolio Watch tool and didn't make any notifications about the changes. People just noticed the changes just as you have appeared to notice a change.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

colodane wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:41 pm
stan1 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 am Starting with easiest first, did you happen to check your spam/junk folders?
Indeed I did. Nothing there.

They have clearly changed their services without notifying their customers of the change. I completely understand that not everyone places the same value on each service as I do. I have no problem with that. I also have access to MorningStar. What I do have a problem with is that they change the product that people have been using for 20 years without the courtesy of a notice. Email is cheap.
I don't use the feature. I don't even know if the brokerage platform has the feature you're looking for.

Maybe someone here will have some insight into why it happened. Failing that, I encourage you to send a secure message to Vanguard expressing your dissatisfaction and asking for an explanation. Hope spring eternal!
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

According to a rep I spoke with about 6 months ago Vanguard is constantly making changes for "improvements" to their website to keep up with other brokerage firms. I'm assuming they want to keep up with the more hip firms like Robinhood, M1, to encourage trading of newer products such as etf vs mutual funds. Personally, I think Vanguard is making a mistake many companies make to try to woo millennial/gen z customers, however in the process they not only fail to do this, but also will start to alienate their core customers.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

I didn't think Bogleheads were allowed to check their balances every day. :P
othermike27

Post by othermike27 »

Kenkat wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:23 am You could set up a watch portfolio for free on Morningstar.com and get this information. It would not be in email format (you just visit the web page to see results) but could provide additional information of interest over the Vanguard email format.
Why not? I get a daily email from morningstar.com that reports a summary of the major averages and my chosen listings, including mutual funds (e.g., VTSAX). You do have to sign up as a "basic" member to create a portfolio but there's no cost and no apparent risk of spam in my experience. Under My Account, pull down Notifications then turn on "portfolio" - easy peasy. And turn off "email from partners" while you're there.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

othermike27 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:03 am
Kenkat wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:23 am You could set up a watch portfolio for free on Morningstar.com and get this information. It would not be in email format (you just visit the web page to see results) but could provide additional information of interest over the Vanguard email format.
Why not? I get a daily email from morningstar.com that reports a summary of the major averages and my chosen listings, including mutual funds (e.g., VTSAX). You do have to sign up as a "basic" member to create a portfolio but there's no cost and no apparent risk of spam in my experience. Under My Account, pull down Notifications then turn on "portfolio" - easy peasy. And turn off "email from partners" while you're there.
That may be possible (I am sure it is since you are using it :D ) so added bonus if that is your medium of choice. I actually looked for it from the Portfolio page before posting the above and didn’t see it from but do see it under My Account (following your instructions above) :thumbsup
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

I would:

1. Contact VG, could be just a technical error that caused alerts to drop being sent

2. Go in and re-add the existing alert for the mutual fund. I just tried to setup an alert for VTSAX and it didn't stop me from doing so.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

colodane wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:09 am My Vanguard accounts both contain only mutual funds - no ETFs or individual stocks. For many years I have been signed up for their Market Alert service which provide end-of-day gain/loss info for each fund via email after the market closes. A couple days ago they stopped showing up.

colodane,

I have Vanguard brokerage accounts for taxable, Trad IRA, and Roth IRA. I've never used alerts before but thought I'd give it a try.

To get access to any alerts, I first had to accept an electronic services agreement.

Next, from the main Profile and account settings page, there's box/card at the bottom for Alerts. It has three links:
1) Account activity and appointment alerts;
2) Stock & ETF alerts
3) Sign up for checkwriting alerts

I click on the "Stock & ETF alerts", which takes me to the Manage alerts page.
On the left-hand side are "Alerts for securties" with three sub options:
a) News alerts
b) Closing prices
c) Price and Volume alerts

I click on "Closing prices" which takes me to a page that says:
Select from the list below to receive a closing price summary. This daily summary includes the closing price, the day's net and percent change, and percentage change for 1-month, 3-month, and 1-year performance.

You will receive closing price alerts in one message after 6 p.m., Eastern time. Click Submit to activate your alerts.
The list contains all securities I own across all my accounts as well as from my "Outside investments" that I entered manually (like for an HSA). The list includes mutual funds and ETFs. I don't hold any stocks.

I checked the box for two mutual funds and one ETF and submitted it.

I'll see if I get any emails Monday night (or maybe Tuesday morning).

But I'm asking this to confirm whether I'm doing the same thing you did, and that way if I don't get any emails either we'll know the problem is not just with you :)
Topic Author
colodane

Post by colodane »

Thanks, Sycamore

Will be interesting to see what you get (or don't get).

The wording you saw (mentioning stock and ETFs but not MFs) is consistent with what I saw recently.

Best Regards
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

boogiehead wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:00 pm According to a rep I spoke with about 6 months ago Vanguard is constantly making changes for "improvements" to their website to keep up with other brokerage firms. I'm assuming they want to keep up with the more hip firms like Robinhood, M1, to encourage trading of newer products such as etf vs mutual funds. Personally, I think Vanguard is making a mistake many companies make to try to woo millennial/gen z customers, however in the process they not only fail to do this, but also will start to alienate their core customers.
I called Vanguard the other day to get some instructions on sending them a rollover check. No big deal, I've called them many times. But this time, after we hashed out the check issue, the rep asked if I was interested in advice on "deploying" my existing Vanguard assets. Mind you, all of my Vanguard accounts already have an appropriate mix of index funds. This was the first time in my experience that anyone at Vanguard sounded like a broker. I have no idea what he was planning to recommend, as I declined his offer.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Tom_T wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:14 am
boogiehead wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:00 pm According to a rep I spoke with about 6 months ago Vanguard is constantly making changes for "improvements" to their website to keep up with other brokerage firms. I'm assuming they want to keep up with the more hip firms like Robinhood, M1, to encourage trading of newer products such as etf vs mutual funds. Personally, I think Vanguard is making a mistake many companies make to try to woo millennial/gen z customers, however in the process they not only fail to do this, but also will start to alienate their core customers.
I called Vanguard the other day to get some instructions on sending them a rollover check. No big deal, I've called them many times. But this time, after we hashed out the check issue, the rep asked if I was interested in advice on "deploying" my existing Vanguard assets. Mind you, all of my Vanguard accounts already have an appropriate mix of index funds. This was the first time in my experience that anyone at Vanguard sounded like a broker. I have no idea what he was planning to recommend, as I declined his offer.
They were obviously trying to sell you their VPAS service.
JAusten

Post by JAusten »

Whenever I have a question about anything financial especially at Vanguard where all of my money is I send a secure email. It has always been answered very professionally. It is so easy and quick.

Good luck,
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Nate79 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:51 am
Tom_T wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:14 am
They were obviously trying to sell you their VPAS service.
Yep. The trusted folks with their "unique client-first focus" were trying to upsell you to VPAS.

I wonder how that fits in with "More than 40 years ago, Vanguard founder John C. Bogle transformed the industry when he built an investment management firm owned by its clients and operated solely in their interests, with no conflicting loyalties."1 It appears to me that this attempt to upsell the investor to a service not requested or needed but which has a high profit-margin for The Vanguard Group (not returned to investors) is evidence of conflicting loyalty...

1https://about.vanguard.com/what-sets-va ... st-culture
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I just looked at their VPAS page. Their fee for managing assets up to $5 million is 0.30% annually. If my math is correct, that is $15,000/year for $5 million. Scale that down to a relatively modest $500K and it's still $1,500/year.
That's a lot of money for information I can get better and cheaper right here. :sharebeer
Redsub

Post by Redsub »

A few years ago I could get a free review of my investments with a Vanguard Adviser. I guess this option has gone now that they are pushing their 0.35 percent adviser service?
Does anyone know if the annual free review has gone or is it hidden somewhere?
Thanks Dave
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

colodane wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:51 pm Thanks, Sycamore

The wording you saw (mentioning stock and ETFs but not MFs) is consistent with what I saw recently.

Best Regards
As of now, I've received no alert email.
Double-checked the email address alerts should go to.
Checked the spam folder.

I'll send a secure message to customer service asking about it... we'll see what happens.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

sycamore wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:16 am
colodane wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:51 pm Thanks, Sycamore

Best Regards
As of now, I've received no alert email.
Double-checked the email address alerts should go to.
Checked the spam folder.

I'll send a secure message to customer service asking about it... we'll see what happens.
Got a response from customer service at 3:30 Eastern. It said to follow certain steps for setting up closing price alerts (which I had already done) and if that didn't help, they'd forward the problem to another group to help figure things out.

As it turns out, tonight at 7:30 Eastern I got the closing price email. It contains the closing price info for the 2 mutual funds and 1 ETF I had selected. So I don't think they removed closing price alerts for mutual funds in spite of using the title "Stocks and ETFs".

So after an initial glitch, it appears to be working.

I noticed something in the fine print of the email: "The Alert Messaging service is provided by FactSet by special arrangement with Vanguard. To make sure you receive the e-mail alerts you've requested, make sure your e-mail software will accept messages from vanguardalerts@factsetdigitalsolutions.com."

So complicating matters here is that a third-party is involved and maybe there's some kind of problem on their end. Who knows?

colodane, I suggest trying a variant of the "when all else fails, reboot" approach -- on Vanguard's Manage Alerts page, remove your existing closing price alert configuration, and then add them back. Then wait a day or two to see if the emails return. Good luck!
Eagle33

Re: Unannounced Change at Vanguard [no Market Alerts for mutual funds]

Post by Eagle33 »

I've had a banner on my summary page for the last month or so that is requesting I transition my MF platform accounts to brokerage accounts.
Take action to transition your account
Please take a few minutes to transition your account(s) from our old investment platform to our new one.

Transition now (action button)

Why we're asking you to do this
Having all of our clients on a single, more flexible platform will allow us to save money and make service improvements faster. Ultimately, this will benefit you as we expect to improve your client experience.

If you wait to transition, you could see impacts to your account over time, such as the gradual removal of available features.
Maybe the Market Alert emails is one of the first features to be removed from MF platform?
Topic Author
colodane

Post by colodane »

Just an update here.

Strangely, I received a Market Closing update last Sunday - normally don't get these on Saturday and Sunday of course. Then nothing on Monday but they resumed on Tuesday and have been coming normally since.

I did nothing on my end, so perhaps just some kind of random glitch that does not affect every user the same way.

So I'm assuming that this is no longer an issue.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

colodane wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:00 pm Just an update here.

Strangely, I received a Market Closing update last Sunday - normally don't get these on Saturday and Sunday of course. Then nothing on Monday but they resumed on Tuesday and have been coming normally since.

I did nothing on my end, so perhaps just some kind of random glitch that does not affect every user the same way.

So I'm assuming that this is no longer an issue.
If you use the various stock / MF ticker services like MartketWatch, Morningstar, yahoo!, Google Finance, Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel, etc. they all have various glitches on an almost daily basis. Factset is actually the source of much of the data folks see on those other sites too. Probably a problem on the provider side.