New Avantis ETFs

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Nathan Drake

Re: New Avantis ETFs

Post by Nathan Drake »

One More Thing wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:11 pm While Avantis receives praise I notice that their ETFs are actively managed. How does one reconcile this with being a Boglehead?
It’s systematic management with low expenses. Low turnover, broad diversification.

The term “active” doesn’t have much meaning without context. The S&P 500 is also an active index, requiring decisions in when to add/remove companies from the index

I think it’s completely compatible with Boglehead investing
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
One More Thing

Post by One More Thing »

Nathan Drake wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:40 pm
One More Thing wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:11 pm While Avantis receives praise I notice that their ETFs are actively managed. How does one reconcile this with being a Boglehead?
It’s systematic management with low expenses. Low turnover, broad diversification.

The term “active” doesn’t have much meaning without context. The S&P 500 is also an active index, requiring decisions in when to add/remove companies from the index

Ah, okay. I did not consider such nuance. So their strategies are set by the managers but once set they behave like a passively managed portfolio?
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

One More Thing wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:04 pm

Ah, okay. I did not consider such nuance. So their strategies are set by the managers but once set they behave like a passively managed portfolio?
Correct. They have rules for selecting companies to invest in that meet the Price/Book and Profitability factor screens that look attractive and when companies get added/deleted they use momentum (ex: if a company is starting to look overvalued it will still hold onto it outside their bands if it's showing increasing momentum, and similarly if a company is at the margins of the screens and shows negative momentum it will exit the position).
S&P 500 employs its own screens (company most be profitable for a few quarters, etc) and then a board votes on adding/deleting companies.

This is unlike a typical "active" fund that may just be involved in individual stock picking and have higher concentration with benchmarks that may be hard to quantify.
One More Thing

Post by One More Thing »

Nathan Drake wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 pm Correct. They have rules for selecting companies to invest in that meet the Price/Book and Profitability factor screens that look attractive and when companies get added/deleted they use momentum (ex: if a company is starting to look overvalued it will still hold onto it outside their bands if it's showing increasing momentum, and similarly if a company is at the margins of the screens and shows negative momentum it will exit the position).
S&P 500 employs its own screens (company most be profitable for a few quarters, etc) and then a board votes on adding/deleting companies.

This is unlike a typical "active" fund that may just be involved in individual stock picking and have higher concentration with benchmarks that may be hard to quantify.
I like it. Thank you for explaining it. Looks like I have more to consider yet. Still wrestling with deciding between full TSM and factor tilting.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

The main reasons for indexing is not an inherent advantage of an index, but its low costs, known strategy (some actively-managed value funds may switch to growth stocks), and in a taxable account, the low tax cost. An active fund that meets these goals is just as good as an index. Many Bogleheads hold Vanguard's non-index muni funds, or hold funds such as Wellington and Wellesley in IRAs.

The "actively managed" factor ETFs from Avantis and other providers meet the same goals. The costs are still reasonably low. The strategy is consistent, as it is defined by the ETF; a value-factor ETF will hold stocks with strong exposure to value. And the ETF structure avoids the tax issues with fund turnover.
Wiki David Grabiner
gtwhitegold

Post by gtwhitegold »

I'm curious how strong the factor loads will be on AVES. If it looks like they'll be pretty strong, then I'll probably move some of my EM allocation from FEMS to AVES. If not, then I'll just keep on waiting for a better EMV or EMSCV Fund.
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

gtwhitegold wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 pm I'm curious how strong the factor loads will be on AVES. If it looks like they'll be pretty strong, then I'll probably move some of my EM allocation from FEMS to AVES. If not, then I'll just keep on waiting for a better EMV or EMSCV Fund.
FEMS does not look that great. 0.8% for 200 stocks. Not great Vol. and what with that spike in premium/ discount chart.
gtwhitegold

Post by gtwhitegold »

tarnation wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:56 pm
gtwhitegold wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 pm I'm curious how strong the factor loads will be on AVES. If it looks like they'll be pretty strong, then I'll probably move some of my EM allocation from FEMS to AVES. If not, then I'll just keep on waiting for a better EMV or EMSCV Fund.
FEMS does not look that great. 0.8% for 200 stocks. Not great Vol. and what with that spike in premium/ discount chart.
I feel like it's the cleanest dirty shirt as far as what I want in an EM fund. It's smaller and loads a good bit more on quality and momentum than DGS, but slightly less on value, but it positively loads on value, so overall it has better factor loads. I feel that it's worth the slightly higher ER over DGS since it's more aligned with what I want in a EM fund. I'm not too worried about the liquidity in the fund since I'm only adding to it at this time and I only make a couple of purchases each year. I obviously would like a better EMSC fund with positive factor loads, but I'm just using the tools available to make what I think is the best decision for me.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

Nathan Drake wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 pm

Correct. They have rules for selecting companies to invest in that meet the Price/Book and Profitability factor screens that look attractive and when companies get added/deleted they use momentum (ex: if a company is starting to look overvalued it will still hold onto it outside their bands if it's showing increasing momentum, and similarly if a company is at the margins of the screens and shows negative momentum it will exit the position).
It'll be interesting to see how it works out. You know I mean say an industry struggles like energy and profits fall. You very well might see negative momentum for a while until recovery. I guess price/book would be lower so maybe they would retain it. Or would they drop it due to profitability and momentum?
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

typical.investor wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:20 am
Nathan Drake wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 pm

It'll be interesting to see how it works out. You know I mean say an industry struggles like energy and profits fall. You very well might see negative momentum for a while until recovery. I guess price/book would be lower so maybe they would retain it. Or would they drop it due to profitability and momentum?
Hard to say because the methodology isn’t public, however turnover in the fund is small so whatever system they have in place can allow for quite a bit of drift.

They can also load more heavily on certain stocks that may not be great in terms of P/B but may have strong profitability and vice versa.
tryingmybest

Post by tryingmybest »

Although the bottom line Avantis expense ratio is smaller, does effective cost ranking change after taking securities lending into account? Emerging Markets Small Cap Portfolio DEMSX currently has a net expense ratio of 0.60%:
https://us.dimensional.com/funds?filters=equity

In 2012 its securities lending profit was 0.35% (I don't know how to find figures for this year).
https://www.advisorperspectives.com/new ... _Funds.pdf

If we take these figures as current, then the effective ratio is 0.25%. DEMSX is one of the more expensive DFA funds.

How does Avantis compare?

Here is an earlier Bogleheads.org discussion on securities lending:
viewtopic.php?t=227579
DanLeeRot

Post by DanLeeRot »

FYI......The new Avantis US Large Cap Value (AVLV) ETF started trading today with volume at 13,320 shares. The new Avantis Emerging Markets Value ETF and Avantis International Value ETF will begin trading on Thursday, Sept. 30.
The investor's chief problem-and even his worse enemy-is likely to be himself. Benjamin Graham
BetaTracker

Post by BetaTracker »

In a fairly recent paper ("Pursuing Multiple Premiums: Combination vs. Integration," Feb. 2021), DFA looks at investing in factors separately vs. taking an integrated approach. It finds that a fully integrated portfolio (with value, size and profitability applied in all cases), has the best results. This is not surprising considering it supports DFA's investment philosophy. If I'm reading it right, though, it also lists about 15% as the optimal (maybe optimal isn't the right word) allocation for small caps. I found that in Exhibit 3. Am I reading this right?
I found the paper for free through SSRN:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3793594
I'd rather be content than happy -- Lao Tzu.
Hallman

Post by Hallman »

tryingmybest wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:21 am Although the bottom line Avantis expense ratio is smaller, does effective cost ranking change after taking securities lending into account? Emerging Markets Small Cap Portfolio DEMSX currently has a net expense ratio of 0.60%:

In 2012 its securities lending profit was 0.35% (I don't know how to find figures for this year).

If we take these figures as current, then the effective ratio is 0.25%. DEMSX is one of the more expensive DFA funds.

viewtopic.php?t=227579
Too early to tell. Securities lending usually picks up as funds mature. Avantis is rapidly gaining AUM which means securities lending as a % of net assets is lower than it will be in the future.

I looked through a few annual reports last year to look at securities lending revenue for a few Vanguard and Ishares funds. From what I could gather securities lending for developed markets, and particularly the US, was about half of what I saw 10 years ago. Not sure why, but lower interest rates and less interest in short selling as markets keep going up would be my guesses.
One More Thing

Post by One More Thing »

BetaTracker wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:55 am In a fairly recent paper ("Pursuing Multiple Premiums: Combination vs. Integration," Feb. 2021), DFA looks at investing in factors separately vs. taking an integrated approach. It finds that a fully integrated portfolio (with value, size and profitability applied in all cases), has the best results. This is not surprising considering it supports DFA's investment philosophy. If I'm reading it right, though, it also lists about 15% as the optimal (maybe optimal isn't the right word) allocation for small caps. I found that in Exhibit 3. Am I reading this right?
I found the paper for free through SSRN:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3793594
Now that's what I'm talking about. I asked about "optimal factor tilting" in another thread. Care to share that in the other thread?
BetaTracker

Post by BetaTracker »

I copied this question and posed it in the thread "Is There an Optimal Factor Allocation?"
I'd rather be content than happy -- Lao Tzu.
One More Thing

Post by One More Thing »

BetaTracker wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:10 am I copied this question and posed it in the thread "Is There an Optimal Factor Allocation?"
Thank you.
comeinvest

Post by comeinvest »

gtwhitegold wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:17 pm
I feel like it's the cleanest dirty shirt as far as what I want in an EM fund. It's smaller and loads a good bit more on quality and momentum than DGS, but slightly less on value, but it positively loads on value, so overall it has better factor loads. I feel that it's worth the slightly higher ER over DGS since it's more aligned with what I want in a EM fund. I'm not too worried about the liquidity in the fund since I'm only adding to it at this time and I only make a couple of purchases each year. I obviously would like a better EMSC fund with positive factor loads, but I'm just using the tools available to make what I think is the best decision for me.
FEMS has turnover of > 100% every year. It underperformed EMGF and DGS over the last 5 years.
comeinvest

Post by comeinvest »

Is anybody concerned that AVEM has negative "quality" per Morningstar? https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/avem/portfolio

So does FNDE https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/fnde/portfolio
EMGF has positive quality: https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/bats/emgf/portfolio
DGS is neutral on quality - probably value controlled for quality? https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/dgs/portfolio
typical.investor

comeinvest wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:39 pm Is anybody concerned that AVEM has negative "quality" per Morningstar? https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/avem/portfolio
Not really.
comeinvest wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:39 pm So does FNDE https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/fnde/portfolio
EMGF has positive quality: https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/bats/emgf/portfolio
DGS is neutral on quality - probably value controlled for quality? https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/dgs/portfolio
[Jan 2016 - Aug 2021] Life of EMGF

CAGR
FNDE 13.26%
DGS 12.32%
EMFG 10.96%

FNDE weights on sales, cash flow and dividends, so it's possible for inclusion based more heavily on good sales.

Anyway, the fundamental indexes have a more time varying exposure. You can see FNDE has the lowest quality exposure now than it's had in the last 5 years. MFEM (RAFI dynamic multi factor which weights on value, low volatility, quality, and momentum) does too. That suggests that EM quality is more in the expensive range for the factor.

[Oct 2017 - Aug 2021] Life of MFEM
MFEM 8.07%
FNDE 6.37%
EMFG 6.03%
Last edited by typical.investor on Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
brademac

Post by brademac »

Hallman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:56 am
tryingmybest wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:21 am Although the bottom line Avantis expense ratio is smaller, does effective cost ranking change after taking securities lending into account? Emerging Markets Small Cap Portfolio DEMSX currently has a net expense ratio of 0.60%:

viewtopic.php?t=227579
Too early to tell. Securities lending usually picks up as funds mature. Avantis is rapidly gaining AUM which means securities lending as a % of net assets is lower than it will be in the future.

I looked through a few annual reports last year to look at securities lending revenue for a few Vanguard and Ishares funds. From what I could gather securities lending for developed markets, and particularly the US, was about half of what I saw 10 years ago. Not sure why, but lower interest rates and less interest in short selling as markets keep going up would be my guesses.

When I emailed Avantis asking about securities lending income they told me they return 90% of it to the fund. The remaining 10% goes to State Street who does all the trading for them.
comeinvest

Post by comeinvest »

brademac wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:13 pm When I emailed Avantis asking about securities lending income they told me they return 90% of it to the fund. The remaining 10% goes to State Street who does all the trading for them.
When you say "all the trading for them" you mean all the trading in their portfolio, or all the trading with respect to securities lending only?
Topic Author
brademac

Post by brademac »

comeinvest wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:27 pm
brademac wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:13 pm When I emailed Avantis asking about securities lending income they told me they return 90% of it to the fund. The remaining 10% goes to State Street who does all the trading for them.
When you say "all the trading for them" you mean all the trading in their portfolio, or all the trading with respect to securities lending only?

They didn’t say. I wondered same thing. I don’t know if American Century has the infrastructure/trading desk to handle Avantis as it keeps getting larger and larger by the day. AVUV is now a “main line” ETF with lots of volume.
gtwhitegold

Post by gtwhitegold »

comeinvest wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:12 pm
gtwhitegold wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:17 pm
FEMS has turnover of > 100% every year. It underperformed EMGF and DGS over the last 5 years.
Where do you get that? I just did a pull on Morningstar and it has FEMS ahead of EMGF, DGS, and VWO. I'm not saying that it's beating everything by a large margin, but it is ahead. It's definitely a high risk / high reward type of investment with greater peaks and greater drawdowns compared to other EM funds which are already more volatile than US or Developed International funds. That should make it a good rebalancing parter and with the greater factor loads overall, should provide higher returns over the long term.

comeinvest

Post by comeinvest »

gtwhitegold wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:43 pm
comeinvest wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:12 pm
Where do you get that? I just did a pull on Morningstar and it has FEMS ahead of EMGF, DGS, and VWO. I'm not saying that it's beating everything by a large margin, but it is ahead. It's definitely a high risk / high reward type of investment with greater peaks and greater drawdowns compared to other EM funds which are already more volatile than US or Developed International funds. That should make it a good rebalancing parter and with the greater factor loads overall, should provide higher returns over the long term.

Sorry I was lazy and just looked at Google Finance price performance. FEMS must have had higher dividends than the others. Anyways, I think the available time frames of about 5 years are not meaningful at all for performance comparisons. The relative performance of strategies fluctuates a lot. What I do now is that FEMS had >100% turnover every year that I checked, which I do know drags down performance. Whether the high turnover strategy results in higher returns after making up for transaction costs, is something I do NOT know, but I am suspicious.
comeinvest

Post by comeinvest »

brademac wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:08 pm

They didn’t say. I wondered same thing. I don’t know if American Century has the infrastructure/trading desk to handle Avantis as it keeps getting larger and larger by the day. AVUV is now a “main line” ETF with lots of volume.
I thought the trading desk and their proprietary methods of executing orders ("patient trading") were integral to the success of the strategies of DFA and Avantis, as the theoretical outperformance of the factor strategies need to outweigh the associated implementation cost. I actually thought that was a key distinguishing feature of DFA and now Avantis. Now if they have a competitor do "all the trading" for them...
FiveFactor

Post by FiveFactor »

comeinvest wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:52 am
brademac wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:08 pm

I thought the trading desk and their proprietary methods of executing orders ("patient trading") were integral to the success of the strategies of DFA and Avantis, as the theoretical outperformance of the factor strategies need to outweigh the associated implementation cost. I actually thought that was a key distinguishing feature of DFA and now Avantis. Now if they have a competitor do "all the trading" for them...
That’s not how capital markets are structured. SS would be the Prime Broker here.
Small/Value/Profitability: | 30% AVUV | 30% AVDV | 30% AVES | Momentum: | 5% QMOM | 5% IMOM | Volatility: | 0.1% PUTW | Term: | 0.1% BND
HurrDurrImaPilot

Post by HurrDurrImaPilot »

Anyone know if this is still on track for the 30th? Not very familiar with first day trading dynamics on ETFs so wondering if there are any considerations on avoiding until it settles out a bit.
comeinvest

Post by comeinvest »

HurrDurrImaPilot wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:34 pm Anyone know if this is still on track for the 30th? Not very familiar with first day trading dynamics on ETFs so wondering if there are any considerations on avoiding until it settles out a bit.
Good question. Looks like many Bogleheads are having their hands on the trigger to shift their portfolios to AVES, waiting for the 30th to approach. Will there be any sellers? Maybe watch the discount/premium?

Will the new fund already have an existing portfolio on the first day, or are they buying it on and after inception?
typical.investor

comeinvest wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:13 pm
HurrDurrImaPilot wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:34 pm Anyone know if this is still on track for the 30th? Not very familiar with first day trading dynamics on ETFs so wondering if there are any considerations on avoiding until it settles out a bit.
Good question. Looks like many Bogleheads are having their hands on the trigger to shift their portfolios to AVES, waiting for the 30th to approach. Will there be any sellers? Maybe watch the discount/premium?
I purchased iMTM (iShares Intl Momentum) when it was just released. What I noticed is there was a lack of info about it at the places I usually looked like Morningstar. Honestly it did look like the fund was even trading. It looked an AP was simply buying at what seemed to be NAV. (not sure though that things always work out this way for new ETFs - this is only one experience).

That said, I am going to keep the fundamental indexes I have already as I dislike changing exposure. Seems not that different unless AVES is pretty small.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

comeinvest wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:13 pm

Will the new fund already have an existing portfolio on the first day, or are they buying it on and after inception?
Not in the business, so don't know precisely, but my guess is that American Century seeds the fund with some number of millions of dollars that they place with the authorized market makers who use the seed money to buy a few creation baskets worth of company stocks that go into the fund in exchange for shares of the ETF. Then the authorized market makers have an inventory of ETF shares ready to sell to initial buyers of the ETF in the open market. Only a guess, but, except for seed money coming from the ETF sponsor, that's more or less how the normal creation mechanism for ETFs works.

My plan is to wait a quarter to let any start up trading issues abate and to see what the portfolio characteristics are. Then if the factor characteristics look ok, I'll start to move gradually from DGS to AVES. I try to never be in a hurry to trade.
Regards, | | Guy
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

To my surprise, the 5-day old Avantis US Large-Cap Value ETF (AVLV) has only a little over $1 Million in AUM. Traditionally, fund companies seeded their ETFs with between $2 and $3 million (just my observation) and in recent years, it seems they have gone higher (my observation, again). I think fund companies worry the ETF 'Terrordome' will punish any ETF that starts off with low AUM with permanent low AUM. My guess is that Avantis is very confident AVLV will gain substantial AUM in the next year no matter how little money they seed the fund with. My next guess is that the ETFs that come out in a few days will have similarly low initial AUM.