Is the secret to long term wealth as simple as living below your means and investing in a low cost index fund

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

Is the secret to long term wealth as simple as living below your means and investing in a low cost index fund

Post by tvubpwcisla »

It seems like building long term wealth is pretty simple. Live below your means and invest in a low cost total stock market index fund. Am I missing anything other than stay the course? Is it really that easy?
Padlin

Re: Is the secret to long term wealth as simple as living below your means and investing in a low cost index fund

Post by Padlin »

It's that simple, but not necessarily easy.
Regards | Bob
TomatoTomahto

Re: Is the secret to long term wealth as simple as living below your means and investing in a low cost index fund

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We are not super frugal, but do live “below our means.” It’s working for us. Working even better for our frugal son.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:42 am It seems like building long term wealth is pretty simple. Live below your means and invest in a low cost total stock market index fund. Am I missing anything other than stay the course? Is it really that easy?
You are missing that it takes a long term to do this. Normal people cannot LBYM and invest for 1 year, 5 years, or 10 years and declare they are done.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
CarlZ993

Post by CarlZ993 »

In the broadest sense, I follow these three rules:
- Live beneath your means,
- Pay yourself first, and
- Manage your debt wisely.

The devil is in the details.

I didn't start out as an index investor. But I am now & will continue to do so. It has proven to be quite profitable & very low maintenance.

Take care.
Carl Z
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:42 am It seems like building long term wealth is pretty simple. Live below your means and invest in a low cost total stock market index fund. Am I missing anything other than stay the course? Is it really that easy?
Define “wealth”?

Substantial wealth?
Financial Independence?
Enough?
Rich beyond one’s needs for life?

The “idea” of wealth is simple.
Starting from 30 cents is not.

Read: “Millionaire Next Door”
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dbr

Post by dbr »

Of course not.

It matters tremendously how much you invest, for how long, in what you invest, and what you consider to amount to wealth.

You have to do the math.

You also have to understand nothing is certain -- best laid plans and all that,.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

No, there is much more to it than that.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

No, I don't consider that a typical person can build what I'd call "long term wealth" that way, but it depends on your definition of wealth. And it's a never-ending lifelong process so I don't think it's easy.
Last edited by tibbitts on Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
leeks

Post by leeks »

Yes.

Having (and keeping) a spouse on the same page is relevant too.

Earning a high income makes it easier. But, as long as you can spend less than you earn, it can be done on any income.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

You are missing nothing. It is really that simple. I wouldn't, however, use the word "easy."
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

leeks wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 am Yes.

Having (and keeping) a spouse on the same page is relevant too.

Earning a high income makes it easier. But, as long as you can spend less than you earn, it can be done on any income.
Well, unless you have a high enough income to have money left over from whatever you define as "essentials", you won't get any traction from investments. So I wouldn't say "any income."

I don't know that having a spouse at all is important; the value is in having another income-earning person to split certain expenses with, and to potentially eliminate other expenses entirely (another person who could do tasks for "free" that otherwise you'd have to pay for.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

leeks wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 am Having (and keeping) a spouse on the same page is relevant too.
I am going to disagree on this. Having a spouse can help especially at lower incomes by (potentially) adding to the family income while maintaining some "economies of scale" on living costs and diversifying incomes sources. However spouses introduce additional risks/costs:

About the best divorce rate I have seen is about 35% which is for first marriages, well educated couples who got married later in life. While not all divorces end in financial disaster (mine certainly did not) many do. I find it a bit amusing that Bogleheads will argue endlessly over safe withdrawal rates but often completely ignore this elephant in the room.

You need to find a spouse that is not only compatible with you on the economic side of things but also the myriad of other things you are looking for and this can be a real challenge (and of course folks change over time so the person who was perfect for you at 30 might not be at 50).

Spouses often lead to children which while (often) truly rewarding in many ways, aren't great for accumulating more wealth.

Solo folks have a lot more control and flexibility in what they do and how they do it. My highest savings rate ever is now that I am solo again post divorce.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Replace “easy” with “simple”.

It is pretty simple, but it’s definitely not easy.
Being wrong compounds forever.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

It is that simple. The trick is learning it early in life. Most people do not.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

It also means that you make absolutely sure that no one has a catastrophic illness, gets laid off long term, and no adult in the family dies.
Just do all of that in addition to the savings/spending plan, and you should be fine...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Somewhere I pick up a quote that stuck with me that went something like this;

You can only really control three things in investing;

1) How much you save or spend each year.
2) Your asset allocation.
3) Keeping your investing cost low, which is more important that most people realize.

A few things I would add to that.

You also need to have a job that pays decently. Spending money to obtain well paying skills and to keep them current is essentially investing in yourself. It does not need to be anything fancy either. If you have a job flipping burgers then you can still figure out what skills you would need to get a job managing the restaurant or working for the corporate company.

Not living in a very high cost of living area is also important. If you are not getting paid a premium salary that makes living there worthwhile then consider moving.

Staying as healthy as possible is also very important.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

It seems like building long term wealth is pretty simple. Live below your means and invest in a low cost total stock market index fund. Am I missing anything other than stay the course? Is it really that easy?
The missing part is having a personalized goal to reach. The "live below your means" and "invest in a low cost total stock market index fund" is the basic PLAN. It says nothing about the goal.

I could take home 50K per year - and invest 100 per month (live beneath my means - I'm not spending every penny) That would build wealth over 30years but would it be meaningful to me after 30 years?

In other words, if you don't quantify what "wealth" means as you move thru life "saving" - you may not build enough to meet your needs (the reason/goal you set out on the journey to build wealth). On the other side of the coin if you don't quantify what "wealth" means you might live so far below your means that your life isn't as "good" as it should be (and you become one of those stingy, bitter people who have lots of money) OR you keep earning ever bigger amounts so you can save ever bigger amounts (and maybe miss out on "life" while you are doing that) - all in the name of accumulating a too big pile of wealth.

Without a long term goal - how will you know if you are earning enough or investing enough to be meaningful to you?

Saving money for purely for the sake of saving money isn't a goal and often isn't the best course of action.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Wealth is $1B by the time you are 50 starting at age 20.

Assuming your return is 6% you would have to LBM by $12,648,911.49 each year.

Math matters.

If you have a less ambitious goal of say $1M then the LBM is only $12,648.91 per year, and that is very reasonable.

If the investment is in stocks and you reach $1M at age 50, then it is a possibility that at age 51 you will only have $500,000.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

It is like dieting: the rules are simple, the trick is maintaining the right habits long term. Luckily, I am better with the finances than the diet, and DH doesn't have a problem with either.

A higher income certainly makes it easier, especially if you aren't susceptible to the peer pressure to spend more. Simple tastes help a lot, as well, since it means you aren't fighting with yourself to keep spending in line.

Good thing we had both a high income and simple tastes, as we never would have expected DH to develop a chronic pain issue that will likely cut his career short in his 30's while not being specific enough to be eligible for disability. But we will be OK, thanks to LBYM and index investing.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

It's simple but not necessarily easy because stocks can stay down for a long time. Nikkei still hasn't recovered their 1989 levels after 30+ years.
Last edited by Marseille07 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Get a good job first.

Otherwise, you cannot live below your means and certainly will not have money to invest in a low cost index fund.
aj44

Post by aj44 »

THY4373 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:46 am
leeks wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 am Having (and keeping) a spouse on the same page is relevant too.
I am going to disagree on this. Having a spouse can help especially at lower incomes by (potentially) adding to the family income while maintaining some "economies of scale" on living costs and diversifying incomes sources. However spouses introduce additional risks/costs:

About the best divorce rate I have seen is about 35% which is for first marriages, well educated couples who got married later in life. While not all divorces end in financial disaster (mine certainly did not) many do. I find it a bit amusing that Bogleheads will argue endlessly over safe withdrawal rates but often completely ignore this elephant in the room.

You need to find a spouse that is not only compatible with you on the economic side of things but also the myriad of other things you are looking for and this can be a real challenge (and of course folks change over time so the person who was perfect for you at 30 might not be at 50).

Spouses often lead to children which while (often) truly rewarding in many ways, aren't great for accumulating more wealth.

Solo folks have a lot more control and flexibility in what they do and how they do it. My highest savings rate ever is now that I am solo again post divorce.
It gets brought up but then shut down pretty quick and deleted because it gets into relationship issues, I’d prob have the same forum rules because it’s a pretty charged topic, you get the pie in the sky it can never happen to me vs the jaded it happened to us.
Candor

Post by Candor »

In general, it has worked so far. At the least it is a good foundation for building financial security which, if all/most goes well, should lead to a certain level of wealth over the long term.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:55 am
It also means that you make absolutely sure that no one has a catastrophic illness, gets laid off long term, and no adult in the family dies.
Just do all of that in addition to the savings/spending plan, and you should be fine...

RM
BINGO!
NiceUnparticularMan

Post by NiceUnparticularMan »

If you define being wealthy conservatively enough, have good luck with health, career, and family, use a diversified low cost index fund, and don't live through an abnormal time, then yes.

That's a lot of ifs but I think it is hard to come up with a better plan for most of us.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:23 am
It's simple but not necessarily easy because stocks can stay down for a long time. Nikkei still hasn't recovered their 1989 levels after 30+ years.
That's a good point that we forget sometimes because we haven't had a prolonged downturn lately. Had there been index funds widely available in the ten or fifteen years prior to the early 1980s, I'm not sure you would have been thinking about them at that time in terms of wealth-building. I know that when I first started looking at investments in the '70s, I wasn't impressed by any wealth-building effect. And lower expense ratios wouldn't have moved that needle for me.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

You could start with a dictionary definition of "easy": "achieved without great effort; presenting few difficulties" and "free from worries or problems."

Then look at the entire Bogleheads' philosophy, which requires learning and a steady self-discipline for an investing lifetime.

1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Diversify
5 Never try to time the market
6 Use index funds when possible
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course

Then remember the words of Warren Buffett and Jack Bogle: "Investing is simple, but not easy," with "not easy" referring to control over the powerful emotions of fear and greed. So you may be referring to the "simple" part of investing.

Then ask yourself: "Is it really that easy?"

My answer after many years of indexing is: No.
Last edited by Fallible on Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

flyingaway wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:24 am Get a good job first.

Otherwise, you cannot live below your means and certainly will not have money to invest in a low cost index fund.
This is not necessarily true, at least for the conventional definition of "good job." Custodian/janitor and gas station attendant do not meet most folks' criterion for a good job but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Re ... nthropist) is a famous counter-example showing that having such jobs are not incompatible with wealth building.
coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack »

dbr wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:17 am Wealth is $1B by the time you are 50 starting at age 20.

Assuming your return is 6% you would have to LBM by $12,648,911.49 each year.

Math matters.

If you have a less ambitious goal of say $1M then the LBM is only $12,648.91 per year, and that is very reasonable.

If the investment is in stocks and you reach $1M at age 50, then it is a possibility that at age 51 you will only have $500,000.
Isn't that only half the story? Once they reach 1 million and only have 35K in cost per year, they will be able to retire on 35k per year for the next 40 or so years. 3.5% WR.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

No you are not missing anything. Yes.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack »

Fallible wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:45 am
You could start with a dictionary definition of "easy": "achieved without great effort; presenting few difficulties" and "free from worries or problems."

Then look at the entire Bogleheads' philosophy, which requires learning and a steady self-discipline for an investing lifetime.

2 Invest early and often
4 Diversify
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course

Then remember the words of Warren Buffett and Jack Bogle: "Investing is simple, but not easy," with "easy" referring to control over the powerful emotions of fear and greed. So you may be referring to the "simple" part of investing.

What if they just bought one fund. Lets say lifestyle strategy fund at 20 years old. Invested in it for 30 years or more. they can even put it on auto pilot. That would have a very high probability of success. That seems pretty simple. Perhaps not easy because it requires someone who has the will to avoid some excessive spending and channel it into saving.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Yes, it’s that simple. And you have to do it for a long time.

A lot of folks want to make it more complicated, or throw caveats at it. Ignore the noise.

I’ve been doing it for 29 years, and it’s worked astoundingly well. For reference, I saved only $2k in my 401k in my first year out of college. I had a negative networth until I was 28. It still worked.

And you are not even required to be frugal, or drive a Camry. Live below your means, invest in diversified index funds, and just keep doing it for decades.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Padlin wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:45 am It's that simple, but not necessarily easy.
Yep. Climbing Mt. Everest is simple. Just put one foot in front of another until you reach the top. That doesn’t mean it’s easy.
lws

Post by lws »

Living below your means , investing in a low cost index fund, and luck.
mffl

Post by mffl »

THY4373 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:46 am

I'm not 100% sure leeks is trying to say that the acquisition of a spouse in the first place is critical to getting where you need to be financially, it's just that a large proportion of people have a spouse as a pre-existing condition, so it's important that the one you have be on the same page, and once you have a spouse, losing the spouse to divorce is extraordinarily unhelpful for your financial planning. You're clearly right that marriage adds extreme financial risks, and kids are an extreme financial drain.

That said, I think some things are more important than finances, so one shouldn't take that as an anti-endorsement for a spouse or kids, but one should keep the risks in mind, do their best, and then see where the roulette wheel lands.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

tvubpwcisla:

The answer is "YES" (although it is not "easy"). I am an example:

I started investing in 1950 at the age of 26. ​On December 1950 the S&P 500 stocks were valued at $21. Today the S&P 500 Index is valued at more than $4,000 (not including dividends).

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Put money in a stock market index fund and you balance it out with some bonds, depending on age and so on, and don’t look at it for 50 years. But when you retire, open the envelope. Be sure a doctor is nearby to revive you. You’ll go into a dead faint, you won’t believe there’s that much money in the world.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

Yes and no. you still have to have a income that's high enough to LBYM. so the most important factor is still your income. whether people want to admit that or not.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

coffeeblack wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:50 am

2 Invest early and often
4 Diversify
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course

Then remember the words of Warren Buffett and Jack Bogle: "Investing is simple, but not easy," with "easy" referring to control over the powerful emotions of fear and greed. So you may be referring to the "simple" part of investing.

What if they just bought one fund. Lets say lifestyle strategy fund at 20 years old. Invested in it for 30 years or more. they can even put it on auto pilot. That would have a very high probability of success. That seems pretty simple. Perhaps not easy because it requires someone who has the will to avoid some excessive spending and channel it into saving.
It does address the simple part and it could be easier if the one fund is the right course for them and they're never tempted to tinker with it it over those 30 years.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack »

Fallible wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:37 pm
coffeeblack wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:50 am

2 Invest early and often
4 Diversify
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course

It does address the simple part and it could be easier if the one fund is the right course for them and they're never tempted to tinker with it it over those 30 years.
temptation to tinker over 30 years. I suppose that's the not so easy part.
jjj_22

Post by jjj_22 »

Easy is different from simple. What you describe is simple. It is not necessarily easy. Life circumstances and personal temperament could make it very hard.
DSBH

Post by DSBH »

It could be that "easy" if you have a good job so you can max out (and do) to the IRS limit your 401k or equivalent & backdoor Roth IRA for 30 years, then you can achieve - what most would agree - the "long term wealth" level. It could be even "easier" if you married someone who also do the same.
John C. Bogle: "Never confuse genius with luck and a bull market".
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

tvubpwcisla wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:42 amIs it really that easy?
It's simple, but it's not easy. Most people cannot or will not do it because it requires discipline and deferred gratification and ignoring societal and peer pressures.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

coffeeblack wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:50 am What if they just bought one fund. Lets say lifestyle strategy fund at 20 years old. Invested in it for 30 years or more. they can even put it on auto pilot. That would have a very high probability of success. That seems pretty simple. Perhaps not easy because it requires someone who has the will to avoid some excessive spending and channel it into saving.
I've done something similar to this.

My Roth IRA has been exclusively invested in the Vanguard Target Retirement 2055 fund since I first opened it, age 20.

(I also have a 401(k), which does not offer this fund, but I use other available index funds.)
Adenovir

Post by Adenovir »

It's the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is knowing about living below your means and investing in a low cost total stock market index fund. Wisdom is the ability to stick to it over decades. Simple but not easy.
"Investing is simple but not easy." ~Warren Buffett
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:50 am Replace “easy” with “simple”.

It is pretty simple, but it’s definitely not easy.
+1
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Adenovir wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:58 pm
It's the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is knowing about living below your means and investing in a low cost total stock market index fund. Wisdom is the ability to stick to it over decades. Simple but not easy.

Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit.*
Wisdom is not putting tomato in a fruit salad.

*with apologies to TomatoTomatoh :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
BGeste

Post by BGeste »

Yes. The earlier and more you invest the faster you become wealthy.