Inflation could be 20% in the next three years [Sell bonds?]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
sc9182

Re: Inflation could be 20% in the next three years: Wharton's Jeremy Siegel

Post by sc9182 »

Jeremy may have gone a bit (or lot) off the kilter. isn’t this the case we find with many a current TV/news-hogging professor/ex-big-title Characters been doing, of late !? Have you noticed ?

When things go up - every one makes lot of noise - but when they do go down - nobody bothers to mention. Lumber - any takers? Yes - many industries are genuinely trying to raise and curtail inflation at different points of time - but they eventually have to come down to base reality. Sorry, if one lumber goes up - we all use aluminum in construction - yes, sightly costlier but not gone up 6x like lumber did. We will find alternatives if it’s a genuine shortage. Not every industry can emulate Diamond industry to raise and keep prices high - where nearly a single company controls supply chain end-to-end FULLY. Even in Diamonds - the man-made diamonds of late have been getting better and better and nearly reaching/toppling natural diamonds in desirability spectrum.

There will be some pockets of inflation/industries which remain slightly high prices - due to genuine/underlying issues. We will see and work thru those over the time — - not as fast as flip of a switch though.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:28 pm
Northern Flicker wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:13 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:39 am
typical.investor wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:21 am In any case, 20% inflation suggests a perhaps 22% overnight rate.
I don't know that the current Fed has the wherewithal to raise the overnight rate to something like 8% if inflation rises to 6%.
It would not be a preconceived target, but the rate needed to tame the inflation, which likely is much lower than 8%. For one thing, they won't wait for inflation to hit 6% to start raising rates and tapping the brakes.
This didn't age well.
That's epic. It might be worthwhile to look back at something Powell said six months ago, quoted below. He said if inflation moved materially above their 2% target in a persistent way, the Fed would act. In retrospect, we should have known the Fed might not act on high inflation if it was seen as transitory.

"We understand our job we will do our job and we are focused as you seen for many years We have been focused on inflation 'deviating' below 2%, and we used our tools aggressively to put it back up at 2% if we do see inflation moving materially above 2% persistent way the risks of inflation expectation drifting up then we will use our tools to guide inflation and expectation back down to 2% no one should doubt that we will do that this is not what we expect but no one should doubt that in the event we will be prepared to use our tools."
YouTube video link
Begins at the 4:30 mark.
drumboy256

Post by drumboy256 »

Honestly, the way the Fed looks at "inflation" is flawed. We're at 8.5% nominal inflation across USD currency, goods, services aside from their 1.5-2.25 points of inflation for treasuries. The fact that they don't take into account to me is a freaking joke. At this point, I would imagine we'll hit 10% before they start to pump the brakes on bond purchases but by then, it will be too late to salvage any type of recovery effort they were going for.
Promise is one thing. Fulfilling that promise is quite another. - Sir Alex Ferguson | 20% IVV / 40% IBIT / 20% IXUS / 20% VGLT + chill
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

sc9182 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:54 am Jeremy may have gone a bit (or lot) off the kilter.
I don't know why you think that. So far, he's been pretty much spot on.
The Sensible Steward
Topic Author
invest2bfree

Post by invest2bfree »

drumboy256 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:28 pm Honestly, the way the Fed looks at "inflation" is flawed. We're at 8.5% nominal inflation across USD currency, goods, services aside from their 1.5-2.25 points of inflation for treasuries. The fact that they don't take into account to me is a freaking joke. At this point, I would imagine we'll hit 10% before they start to pump the brakes on bond purchases but by then, it will be too late to salvage any type of recovery effort they were going for.
Fed is not intentionally pumping the brakes.

They are letting inflation eat away the debt which would be crushing even with a small increase in interest rates.
36% (IRA) - Individual LT Corporate Bonds , 33%(taxable) - schy, 33%(taxable) - SCHD Dividend Growth
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

invest2bfree wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:24 pm
drumboy256 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:28 pm Honestly, the way the Fed looks at "inflation" is flawed. We're at 8.5% nominal inflation across USD currency, goods, services aside from their 1.5-2.25 points of inflation for treasuries. The fact that they don't take into account to me is a freaking joke. At this point, I would imagine we'll hit 10% before they start to pump the brakes on bond purchases but by then, it will be too late to salvage any type of recovery effort they were going for.

They are letting inflation eat away the debt which would be crushing even with a small increase in interest rates.
I believe you meant, "Fed is intentionally not pumping the breaks"?

I'd like to think the Fed isn't tightening for exactly the reason they say, that they believe the current spike in inflation is transitory, e.g. Chicago Federal Reserve President Charles Evans, a leading dove at the central bank, said "I’m more uneasy about us not generating enough inflation in 2023 and 2024 than the possibility that we will be living with too much". link

But then again, who knows. If I knew for certain that the Fed wouldn't let inflation heat up over a 2-3% average over time, I wouldn't have felt the necessity to load up on TIPS (especially the stomach churning long-term ones).
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Which inflation is at 8.5% that you're quoting? Is that a monthly figure annualized? What's the average inflation last 12 months? Many of those measures are likely still below 2%, and unless we get several more high months, will not shoot past too fast. If we have 12 months or a full calendar at 8.5% or 10%, that would be troublesome, but I expect something dramatic would be done before we reach anywhere near that. I'm pretty sure the Fed won't allow 20% to happen no matter what, though a month at an annualized rate of 10-20% (i.e. 1-2% inflation in a single month) might be the panic trigger for the Fed to act.
Robot Monster wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:46 amBut then again, who knows. If I knew for certain that the Fed wouldn't let inflation heat up over a 2-3% average over time, I wouldn't have felt the necessity to load up on TIPS (especially the stomach churning long-term ones).
The Fed has said it will let inflation go over 2% for "some time", just not how far over or how long. The market is guessing.
JEROME POWELL: Well we've said that we would look at raising interest rates when the labor market recovery is just about complete, when inflation is at 2% and on track to run moderately above 2% for some time. That's what we've said. I don't have a particular calendar date for that. But we would consider raising rates at that time.

SCOTT PELLEY: So all the way through the end of this year, you wouldn't see rates increasing?

JEROME POWELL: I think it's highly unlikely we would raise rates anything like this year, no.

SCOTT PELLEY: 2022?

JEROME POWELL: You know, I don't want to put a date on it. It really comes down to outcome-based guidance is what we call it. And it will not depend on the calendar. It will depend on the progress of the economy toward the goals that we've set, which are 2% inflation and maximum employment. When we get to that place and inflation is expected to run moderately above 2% for some time, then we'll look at raising interest rates. And that day will come.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jerome-pow ... ranscript/
drumboy256

Post by drumboy256 »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:54 am
Which inflation is at 8.5% that you're quoting? Is that a monthly figure annualized? What's the average inflation last 12 months? Many of those measures are likely still below 2%, and unless we get several more high months, will not shoot past too fast. If we have 12 months or a full calendar at 8.5% or 10%, that would be troublesome, but I expect something dramatic would be done before we reach anywhere near that. I'm pretty sure the Fed won't allow 20% to happen no matter what, though a month at an annualized rate of 10-20% (i.e. 1-2% inflation in a single month) might be the panic trigger for the Fed to act.
Robot Monster wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:46 amBut then again, who knows. If I knew for certain that the Fed wouldn't let inflation heat up over a 2-3% average over time, I wouldn't have felt the necessity to load up on TIPS (especially the stomach churning long-term ones).
The Fed has said it will let inflation go over 2% for "some time", just not how far over or how long. The market is guessing.
JEROME POWELL: Well we've said that we would look at raising interest rates when the labor market recovery is just about complete, when inflation is at 2% and on track to run moderately above 2% for some time. That's what we've said. I don't have a particular calendar date for that. But we would consider raising rates at that time.

SCOTT PELLEY: So all the way through the end of this year, you wouldn't see rates increasing?

JEROME POWELL: I think it's highly unlikely we would raise rates anything like this year, no.

JEROME POWELL: You know, I don't want to put a date on it. It really comes down to outcome-based guidance is what we call it. And it will not depend on the calendar. It will depend on the progress of the economy toward the goals that we've set, which are 2% inflation and maximum employment. When we get to that place and inflation is expected to run moderately above 2% for some time, then we'll look at raising interest rates. And that day will come.
As I understand it, and I'll let everyone else school me on this--- but the Fed only cares about the "inflation rate" when it comes to the bond rate based on treasuries offered. They look at KPI's that indicate "where it should be" and either the bond buy-backs will increase or decrease the inflation that ultimately eats the debt. The inflation I'm talking about is big-mac economics. 8.5% is the fact that a big mac one year ago is 8.5% MORE than it was last year--- and that is even considering that we're in an endemic environment. This of course comes from various factors:

- The bond buying action of the Fed devalues the USD currency simply because it adds "more" to the circulation pool. In that, reduces overall consumer buying power

- Due to pandemic / endemic conditions, costs have either gone from 3x - 100x+ due to industries having to absorb supply chain, manufacturing, materials and labor costs. Companies aren't stupid and have passed (most) of this cost onto the consumer which has added to their bottom line.

- Labor (that the Fed seems so fixated on mid-pandemic) has then gone from minimum wage jobs of $9.50-$11/hour jobs to now base floor jobs of $15-$30 an hour. Having worked in the service industry prior to starting my career, I get why more money per hour is needed because of points 1 + 2 above.

- Bonus round: Purchasing power has been lowered (even tho the dollar is stronger, globally) even more when it comes to real estate and assets that are not stocks. Cars, boats, RV trailers, etc. all have suffered the same fate as real estate which risks pricing people out of being able to purchase anything outside of debt.

While of course the above is one mans opinion, it grinds my gears that inflation is only viewed at a 1.5%-2% when costs of everything across the board is in fact, more expense.
Promise is one thing. Fulfilling that promise is quite another. - Sir Alex Ferguson | 20% IVV / 40% IBIT / 20% IXUS / 20% VGLT + chill
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:54 am The Fed has said it will let inflation go over 2% for "some time", just not how far over or how long. The market is guessing.
JEROME POWELL: Well we've said that we would look at raising interest rates when the labor market recovery is just about complete, when inflation is at 2% and on track to run moderately above 2% for some time...
The Fed also said it wouldn't raise rates till the labor market recovery is complete. Employment has been doing very nicely, but who knows what kind of inflation the Fed will allow if it doesn't achieve its employment objective. Now, as I noted upthread, Powell did say that "if we do see inflation moving materially above 2% persistent way the risks of inflation expectation drifting up then we will use our tools to guide inflation and expectation back down to 2%." The problem is there is simply no guarantee on this. Also, it's a bit nebulous what qualifies as persistent. How high will the Fed allow inflation to go in a non-persistent way, especially if the employment situation does a 180, and starts getting worse. (Larry Summers gives the US economy only a 15% chance of working out well.)

Siegel anticipates rising prices will stretch out over several years, with cumulative inflation reaching 20% to 25%. link Is it not possible the Fed will allow this, and not raise rates, if there's a simultaneous problem with unemployment, or if they believe this high inflation is only a temporary, transitory burst that doesn't need be be dealt with?

Also, this is leaving aside what happens if the Fed changes its mind down the road. It wasn't that long ago that the Fed would have been thought to immediately raise rates if its 2% inflation threshold was breached while unemployment was below 6%. Now look where we're at. The folks of yesteryear would have definitely thought the Fed would be hiking rates now given the current conditions, no?

So, that's why I hold TIPS, folks, which is 50% of my portfolio! (25% in money markets and CDs, 25% stocks with a touch of commodities).
novolog

Post by novolog »

drumboy256 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:03 am
inbox788 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:54 am

As I understand it, and I'll let everyone else school me on this--- but the Fed only cares about the "inflation rate" when it comes to the bond rate based on treasuries offered. They look at KPI's that indicate "where it should be" and either the bond buy-backs will increase or decrease the inflation that ultimately eats the debt. The inflation I'm talking about is big-mac economics. 8.5% is the fact that a big mac one year ago is 8.5% MORE than it was last year--- and that is even considering that we're in an endemic environment. This of course comes from various factors:

- The bond buying action of the Fed devalues the USD currency simply because it adds "more" to the circulation pool. In that, reduces overall consumer buying power

- Due to pandemic / endemic conditions, costs have either gone from 3x - 100x+ due to industries having to absorb supply chain, manufacturing, materials and labor costs. Companies aren't stupid and have passed (most) of this cost onto the consumer which has added to their bottom line.

- Labor (that the Fed seems so fixated on mid-pandemic) has then gone from minimum wage jobs of $9.50-$11/hour jobs to now base floor jobs of $15-$30 an hour. Having worked in the service industry prior to starting my career, I get why more money per hour is needed because of points 1 + 2 above.

- Bonus round: Purchasing power has been lowered (even tho the dollar is stronger, globally) even more when it comes to real estate and assets that are not stocks. Cars, boats, RV trailers, etc. all have suffered the same fate as real estate which risks pricing people out of being able to purchase anything outside of debt.

While of course the above is one mans opinion, it grinds my gears that inflation is only viewed at a 1.5%-2% when costs of everything across the board is in fact, more expense.
agreed. inflation cannot be measured by one number. you would need to use vector math to measure inflation, and even then you would need infinite vectors.

CPI is probably fine as a metric as long as we are abundantly clear what it is supposed to be measuring: the basic biological needs for a life of serfdom. (no assets or high quality goods/services)

person A can experience 14% annual inflation and person B can experience 2% annual inflation at the same time. no two people in this world have the exact same basket of goods/services.
S&P 500 + Bitcoin
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

novolog wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:27 amperson A can experience 14% annual inflation and person B can experience 2% annual inflation at the same time. no two people in this world have the exact same basket of goods/services.
Core inflation doesn't include food and energy, so personally I've experienced core deflation while my food and energy costs have increased 50-100% at times. It takes me $75 vs $50 to fill the tank these days. I can't wait to see my winter heating bill and summer cooling bills next year. And what used to be $10 lunches + tax/tip are now $15 + tax/tip + service charge + app charge + recovery charge + delivery charge + pandemic surcharge + recycling charge.

Besides increasing wages, including minimum wages, which I've had trouble separating normal wage increases from wage inflation, there's automatic inflation adjustments that are kicking in that may contribute to inflation. iBonds adjust every 6 months (7.12% for bonds issued November 2021 - April 2022), so they're not a single month annualized figure. SS COLA is 5.9, and that's permanent, until the next adjustment, no? I'm learning about the difference between CSRS and FERS pension COLA adjustments (5.9 vs 4.9) vs 2% for some retiree pensions. https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/retiree ... iving/cola
I don't think there is a catchup/banking provision, so if inflation is 1% next year, everyone only gets 1% and the extra 3-4% federal pensioners got is a permanent gap and loss of real purchasing power.

A lot of things are starting to align so we're going into an upward cost-push and demand-pull inflation cycle.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/de ... lation.asp

All this discussion is making me feel like my current IPS is failing this current inflation stress test. Is there a ETF that invests in hospitals, medical practices, nursing homes, supermarkets (farms/food production?) and oil stocks/gas stations (or utilities/charging stations) that's aligned with our spending in retirement and would that help inflation and other risk? (Is this mostly small cap value?) A targeted goal oriented fund might also be desirable for home purchase, college, and other large expenses.
steve r

Post by steve r »

Delete
Last edited by steve r on Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Owning the stock market over the long term is a winner's game. Attempting to beat the market is a loser's game. ..Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack." Jack Bogle
steve r

Post by steve r »

Somewhat of an update ... CNBC posted a piece titled "Market is ‘one more bad inflation report’ away from a correction, Wharton’s Jeremy Siegel warns"

The title is click bait(ish) as Siegel is historically strongly bullish. His suggestion. Keep equities. His logic was that you do not know how high stocks will go before they stop working and that stocks are real assets with real property, property rights etc.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/21/market- ... erm=siegel
Last edited by steve r on Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Owning the stock market over the long term is a winner's game. Attempting to beat the market is a loser's game. ..Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack." Jack Bogle
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

This is the right answer. They telegraphed this over a year ago with the shift to “average inflation” targets. Why everyone is surprised now, is beyond me. Bond holders are financing the debt, not tax payers. Until the bond market responds (demanding higher yields), this will continue. Sounds fine by me, if bond holders are in a charitable mood, why stop them?

So far this is going exactly to (the feds) plan IMO. About $150-200B being monetized away per year at this rate.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

mrspock wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:20 pm

This is the right answer. They telegraphed this over a year ago with the shift to “average inflation” targets. Why everyone is surprised now, is beyond me. Bond holders are financing the debt, not tax payers. Until the bond market responds (demanding higher yields), this will continue.
But since the Fed is buying bonds, they are creating artificial demand and pushing down bond yields. Current yields are not purely market-driven.
The Sensible Steward
novolog

Post by novolog »

correct
mrspock wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:20 pm
This is the right answer. They telegraphed this over a year ago with the shift to “average inflation” targets. Why everyone is surprised now, is beyond me. Bond holders are financing the debt, not tax payers. Until the bond market responds (demanding higher yields), this will continue. Sounds fine by me, if bond holders are in a charitable mood, why stop them?

So far this is going exactly to (the feds) plan IMO. About $150-200B being monetized away per year at this rate.
bondholders will be the bagholders of the 2020's. i thank them in advance for their service.
S&P 500 + Bitcoin
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

steve r wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:23 pm ...His suggestion. Keep partying with equities. His logic was that you do not know how high stocks will go before they stop working.

Keep partying with equities till they stop working? Err, well, my understanding is that his suggestion is to hold equities because they (quoting from the article) "are real assets...which in the long run is going to maintain value.”
steve r

Post by steve r »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:16 pm
steve r wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:23 pm ...His suggestion. Keep partying with equities. His logic was that you do not know how high stocks will go before they stop working.

Keep partying with equities till they stop working? Err, well, my understanding is that his suggestion is to hold equities because they (quoting from the article) "are real assets...which in the long run is going to maintain value.”
Good point. I made this post in another thread about hysterics. Cut and pasted here without much thought. Edit made on my post.
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

I agree with Jeremy Siegel.

One thing we can see for certain is a sharp uptick in the M2 money supply. This was a bit of a surprise to me.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2SL

Federal Reserve Asset Purchases have also increased.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetary ... trends.htm

A sharp rise in money supply is inflationary as it leads to the classic definition of inflation, too much money chasing too few goods. When money supply increases the value of money goes down. As the supply chain issue eases the goods supply will increase it's hard to imagine prices remaining high for those goods, but real-estate and asset prices will continue to rise...IMO.

As others have said, I cannot see how interest rates can rise due to the large federal debt. As long as the Fed can control the bond market, through quantitative easing etc. interest rates will stay low. IMO If the Fed looses control of the bond market...well.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Flymore wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:26 pm As others have said, I cannot see how interest rates can rise due to the large federal debt. As long as the Fed can control the bond market, through quantitative easing etc. interest rates will stay low. IMO If the Fed looses control of the bond market...well.
Couldn't the Fed comfortably allow rates to go up, if the rates remained below inflation? If inflation is 3%, and rates are 2%, doesn't the debt still get inflated away at 1% (3%-2%)?
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

invest2bfree wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:57 am ... on CNBC.
clickbait!
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

dogagility wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:45 pm
invest2bfree wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:57 am ... on CNBC.
clickbait!
+1. Most of the time Sunday clickbait . Seagel was hysterical last couple of months. If he was right on the spot last decade doesn’t give him the status of “ I know it all “
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Flymore wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:26 pm I agree with Jeremy Siegel.

One thing we can see for certain is a sharp uptick in the M2 money supply. This was a bit of a surprise to me.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2SL

Federal Reserve Asset Purchases have also increased.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetary ... trends.htm

A sharp rise in money supply is inflationary as it leads to the classic definition of inflation, too much money chasing too few goods. When money supply increases the value of money goes down. As the supply chain issue eases the goods supply will increase it's hard to imagine prices remaining high for those goods, but real-estate and asset prices will continue to rise...IMO.

As others have said, I cannot see how interest rates can rise due to the large federal debt. As long as the Fed can control the bond market, through quantitative easing etc. interest rates will stay low. IMO If the Fed looses control of the bond market...well.
The graphs look the same to me. Causal? Maybe.

Anyway, Fed doesn't really control anything. Monetary policy and changes in the Fed balance sheet play a part in bond and interest rates, sometimes with more weight. Same can be said of the Phillips curve discussions, where the slack is no longer there and it's now carrying more weight. IMO, it was never really gone. I liken it to flying a kite and changing wind conditions. And it's sure been windy lately.

I like the shapes of figures 6 and 7.
https://www.niskanencenter.org/is-the-p ... inflation/
lws

Post by lws »

No. We must not sell our bonds.
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:08 am
Flymore wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:26 pm As others have said, I cannot see how interest rates can rise due to the large federal debt. As long as the Fed can control the bond market, through quantitative easing etc. interest rates will stay low. IMO If the Fed looses control of the bond market...well.
Couldn't the Fed comfortably allow rates to go up, if the rates remained below inflation? If inflation is 3%, and rates are 2%, doesn't the debt still get inflated away at 1% (3%-2%)?
Yes, the relationship between the Fed, the national debt, and inflation is something to keep in mind.

I read this today from some Riverfront staff (you can watch a short video of the discussion - https://www.riverfrontig.com/insights/w ... -grossman/

"Chris Konstantinos:

Despite inflation at its highest level in decades, bond yields seem stubbornly anchored at low levels relative to history. To what do you attribute this? How long do you think it could persist?

Adam Grossman:

We think the reason for low-interest rates is that the Federal Reserve has been a huge buyer of government bonds, deliberately keeping interest rates low. Our hope is that this will continue for a long enough period of time to allow some sustainable inflation generation, which will help all debtor nations. This may allow indebted sovereign nations, like the US, a chance to pay off their overwhelming debt in inflation-reduced future dollars. Inflation has historically caused currencies to decline. However, since inflation is a global problem and most central banks are running low-interest-rate policies, exchange rates are likely to remain relatively stable, in our opinion."