Kyle Weaver superstar fund manager 79% return

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Boglekid

Kyle Weaver superstar fund manager 79% return

Post by Boglekid »

https://institutional.fidelity.com/app/ ... fagax.html

Help! I need advice….

I was told by a financial advisor this fund (fund manager Kyle weaver) is better than the Fidelity 500 index Fund (passive management) based on 1 year 5 year and 10 year return.

He basically said: “you get what you pay for, don’t be cheap”

Arguing that this fund is better than the lower fee 500 index fund based on performance and the numbers?
And the higher expense fees is justified

Who’s right?

He said Kyle weaver has inside knowledge and active managed fund is “better”??? During a market crash or correction?

Thanks!!!
mikejuss

Re: Kyle Weaver superstar fund manager 79% return

Post by mikejuss »

On the contrary: you get to keep what you don't pay for. Be cheap. No true Boglehead will recommend investing in an actively managed fund. :beer
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Will there be fund managers that beat the market? Sure. On average can all the fund managers and individual/institutional stock-pickers beat the market? No, by default they will underperform net their fees. Technically it is possible that retail stock pickers could underperform and average funds could outperform passive, but sadly the data says otherwise...

https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/spiva/#/reports

Good luck picking the winners. They often are the ones that have lost recently yet emotionally (as your FA is doing) us humans tend to think the hot-hand will persist.
Mountain Doc

Post by Mountain Doc »

Ask your advisor when he began recommending the fund. I bet it wasn't 5 or 10 years ago.
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

Fidelity is showing a 5.75% load fee, 1.06% expense ratio, a .62% management fee, & .25% distribution fee.
Yikes. Don't buy Kyle's yacht for him.
MostlyABogleHead

Post by MostlyABogleHead »

If the manager is that good, why is he in the business of making money for others? Why not keep investing his own money and keep getting richer? Why is he selling his skill to others? Once you start digging into this you will realize there is no ‘ guaranteed high returns’ for a small cost. You will understand that in investing you get what you NOT pay for.

You potentially have two problems that you need to fix
1. You have a bad financial advisor who is giving you the wrong advice IMO. You will likely lose a lot of your money due to his/her advice and in the process make the financial advisor richer. You need to find a better one. This forum has many recommendations. The small search button on the top of the forum page will help you find a good advisor.

2. You need to learn about personal finance and how markets work in general to understand the game. Start with bogleheads wiki page or read one of the many books suggested in the wiki. If you prefer videos, I suggest Common Sense Investing channel in YouTube.
TheLaughingCow

Post by TheLaughingCow »

You could have indexed the NASDAQ and had the same return.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

5280Tim wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am Fidelity is showing a 5.75% load fee, 1.06% expense ratio, a .62% management fee, & .25% distribution fee.
:shock:

For all those fees paid, his fund substantially underperformed SPY since it's inception until March of last year. He also had substantially higher drawdowns and lower years than SPY.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

You can guarantee that he beat the market in the past. You can not guarantee that he'll do so in the future, and it is actually statistically likely that he will not.

It's kind of like a lottery ticket. If someone you knew played the lottery and won 2/3 times they played, would you think they're good at the lottery and you should let them pick your numbers, or would you say they got lucky?

Not a perfect example, but you get the idea.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

1. Has FAGAX outperformed the total stock market since its inception? Yes, but at the cost of higher volatility and a worse maximum drawdown in the 2008-2009 financial crisis. See https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion2_2=100.

More importantly, past performance is not a good indicator of future performance. So if you can't look at past performance, what can you look at? Costs. According to Morningstar, a fund's "expense ratio is the most proven predictor of
future fund returns." https://assets.contentstack.io/v3/asset ... f-fees.pdf.

2. Do actively-managed funds perform better than index funds in bear market? No, that is a "myth," according to one study. See https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2020/07/02 ... rningstar/.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Kyle is heavy on tech. Microsoft, Amazon, Alphabet, Facebook, Apple, Tesla, NVIDIA. Not really a surprise that he did well. I wouldn't call that "inside information."

I find it disconcerting that they literally lay out the return before and after the sales charge. It's quite a difference.

1 Year: + 79.41%
With Sales Charge: + 69.09%
Last edited by Tom_T on Thu May 13, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

snailderby wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:02 am 1. Has FAGAX outperformed the total stock market since its inception? Yes, but at the cost of higher volatility and a worse maximum drawdown in the 2008-2009 financial crisis. See https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion2_2=100.
No.

The blue line, portfolio one, lagged the total market from about 1999 to March 2020.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Anon9001

Post by Anon9001 »

Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am
Vanguard active funds are much better investment. The fees are much lower comparison to this. Biggest advantage to passive funds is low fees they have and Vanguard is able to have similar to slightly higher fees as passive funds for their active funds.
Land/Real Estate:89.4% (Land/RE is Inheritance which will be recieved in 10-20 years) Equities:7.6% Fixed Income:1.7% Gold:0.8% Cryptocurrency:0.5%
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

The good news is this fund is currently on sale, with a negative YTD return!

The manager does not have any insider information.

Honestly, this fund seems to regularly underperform the underlying index (Russel 1000). Buy an ETF of that if you really want to play games.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

MishkaWorries wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:08 am
snailderby wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:02 am 1. Has FAGAX outperformed the total stock market since its inception? Yes, but at the cost of higher volatility and a worse maximum drawdown in the 2008-2009 financial crisis. See https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion2_2=100.
No.

The blue line, portfolio one, lagged the total market from about 1999 to March 2020.
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, if you track both funds from inception, FAGAX lagged the total stock market for about 20 years before finally catching up around March 2020. Again, however, I think the more important point is that past performance is not a reliable indicator of future returns. Finding funds that outperformed in the past is easy. Predicting what they'll do in the future is extremely hard.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

The fund closely mirrors QQQ, slightly underperforming QQQ over 10 years after paying the front end load (the graphs of performance never show the load).

Look at the YTD - SP500 is up, FAGAX is down. It is a bet. Sometimes a bet wins, sometimes it loses.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
augustwest73

Post by augustwest73 »

Your FA makes more money if you buy a fund with a sales load. It's that simple. Dump your FA and use this board to self educate. You'll save a ton of money that way.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

5280Tim wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am Fidelity is showing a 5.75% load fee, 1.06% expense ratio, a .62% management fee, & .25% distribution fee.
Think he can add some more fees? LOL
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Ask your advisor if that will be guaranteed?
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Spinola

Post by Spinola »

5.75% load fee, 1.06% expense ratio, a .62% management fee, & .25% distribution fee.
Yikes.
:shock: :oops: RUN!
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." | Thorin Oakenshield
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

We are fortunate that SPIVA has been studying this for years and sharing the results for free.

If you invest in the fund, it may outperform the 500 in the future. It may not.

A lot of actively managed funds just killed it in Y2020. Not just this one, there are a lot of them.

If Kyle Weaver has inside knowledge, they might put him in prison. I don't think he'd want advisors saying that about him.

Best wishes.
This time is the same
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

snailderby wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:13 am
MishkaWorries wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:08 am
No.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, if you track both funds from inception, FAGAX lagged the total stock market for about 20 years before finally catching up around March 2020. Again, however, I think the more important point is that past performance is not a reliable indicator of future returns. Finding funds that outperformed in the past is easy. Predicting what they'll do in the future is extremely hard.
With a fund with these type of fees pulling down the returns, I think the the past performance of underperforming the total market for 20 years is a reliable predictor of future performance.

It's difficult enough to beat the market on a consistent basis let alone when one has to beat the market by 2% just to break even on the yearly fees.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

I don't see a puke emoji or I would use it
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am He basically said: “you get what you pay for, don’t be cheap”
That quote would disqualify him from any role in managing my (or my family's) finances. My response would be "You're Fired!"
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

retiringwhen wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:17 am
Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am He basically said: “you get what you pay for, don’t be cheap”
That quote would disqualify him from any role in managing my (or my family's) finances. My response would be "You're Fired!"
Bingo.
hnd

Post by hnd »

large cap funds that have spent the past 3 years in the top 2 percentiles in returns compared to its peers have a 52% chance of repeating it the next 3 years. large cap funds that have spent the past 5 years in the top 2 percentiles in returns compared to its peers have a 11% chance of repeating it the next 5 years. could FAGAX be one of the 11%? maybe. to be honest if i'm betting on large cap growth, i'll take Dennis Lynch and CPOAX over mr Weaver.

this fund has basically didn't beat the sp500 until end of 2017. and if you deep dive into its holdings, there are not many holdings in the top half of the portfolio that Mr Weaver even added. The fund has basically overweighted FAANMG and bought tesla prior to its massive growth.

I'm a within-reason-take-a-small-%-of-your-money-and-buy-some-active-managed-funds-and-see-what-happens type of guy. I find that as I age (i'm 40) and have really only 15 years of investing experience, the realities are setting in and every few years, i'm placing more and more into the indexes (currently at 75%) I bet that before its all said and done i'll be 100%. I don't think i'll regret the experiences and hope that I can use that experience to help my children and their children.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am ...

I was told by a financial advisor this fund (fund manager Kyle weaver) is better than the Fidelity 500 index Fund (passive management) based on 1 year 5 year and 10 year return.

The advisor is right. That fund is better - for him.
hnd

Post by hnd »

I'll be honest, i'm surprised they are pushing a load fund. Most advisors i know HATE load funds. would rather be AUM.
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am https://institutional.fidelity.com/app/ ... fagax.html

Help! I need advice….

Arguing that this fund is better than the lower fee 500 index fund based on performance and the numbers?

Who’s right?

He said Kyle weaver has inside knowledge and active managed fund is “better”??? During a market crash or correction?

Thanks!!!
Vanguard's Information Technology sector index fund VIGAX (ETF ticker: VGT) has outperformed this fund after expenses over the past 10 years for less than one-tenth of the cost. If you want to bet on tech, I suggest you buy that instead. If you don't want to bet on tech, I suggest you buy VTSAX (Vanguard total US stock market index fund) or VTWAX (Vanguard total world stock market index fund).

Also, note that as of today the fund is underperforming the market this year by about 10%.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

You can buy the QQQ ETF for about 0.2% and be in the tech stock investment sphere much more efficiently.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Suppose I started a new fund called the "Vegas Fund." Its investment strategy is simple: once a year, the manager goes to Las Vegas and puts the entire fund on "black" with a roulette wheel turn. At inception, there is a 25% chance that it wins two years in a row. In year 3, a fund salesperson can tell me about this "exciting" fund that has seen nearly 100% returns the last two years in a row. Maybe I get lucky and in year 3 it wins again (50/50 chance, after all). Now the salesperson has shown how much value he adds for his 1.5% AUM and 5% fees! Better put even more in.

But what happens when the luck runs out and the vegas fund goes bust? Easy, you just find a new "superstar" to start the new and improved "Roulette Black Fund", promising a 50% chance of nearly 100% returns!

Post by 1789 »

There is no reason to listen crook people when WB says he is having very hard time to beat an SP500 index.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
ipdiddly

Post by ipdiddly »

As a long time Fidelity customer with a very large portfolio, I am curious how you have access to this fund. When I clicked on your link, it comes up on the "institutional" side. I'm not sure what that means. If I login to my Fidelity account and search under Mutual Funds, this fund does not come up. In other words, I don't see it as available to me under my account, which is quite large, so I am certainly not excluded because of the size of my account.

Aside from that, I noticed this fund also comes in a no load C class as well.

Unlike other BHers, I do not exclude managed funds from my investments. However, I have no opinion on this one. I also stay away from load funds. That said, Fidelity sometimes waives the load on certain funds it makes available.

Edit: Never mind. I see that Fidelity makes certain products available to Financial Advisors. This must be one of them.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am https://institutional.fidelity.com/app/ ... fagax.html

Help! I need advice….

Who’s right?

Thanks!!!
Fire your advisor.
DIY index funds.
Topic Author
Boglekid

Post by Boglekid »

Thanks for all the response, really appreciate the advice. I’m new a new boglekid!

So this is why my financial advisor keep steering me towards Fidelity mutual funds vs. I have been reading researching on my own and would prefer vanguard ETFs and ETFs like VTI ITOT VWO VOO VO BND AGG?

He makes $0 if I only buy ETFs and not his mutual funds?

One more question?
Is this a better active managed fund with a longer history to invest in?

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/prwcx/quote

T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation (PRWCX)
Morningstar Analyst Rating 5 stars!

Why don’t we just all pick 5 star Morningstar funds to invest in?

Other people keep telling me about Fidelity Contrafund and Dodge and Cox??? (They say Dodge and Cox Mutual Funds are good, They = bogleheads)
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:13 pm Thanks for all the response, really appreciate the advice. I’m new a new boglekid!

So this is why my financial advisor keep steering me towards Fidelity mutual funds vs. I have been reading researching on my own and would prefer vanguard ETFs and ETFs like VTI ITOT VWO VOO VO BND AGG?

He makes $0 if I only buy ETFs and not his mutual funds?

One more question?

Other people keep telling me about Fidelity Contrafund and Dodge and Cox??? (They say Dodge and Cox Mutual Funds are good, They = bogleheads)
I'm sure your advisor is getting paid whether you invest in the mutual funds or not. My guess is he is getting a percent of your assets under management plus any fees he can get by putting you in overpriced mutual funds.

If you want to invest in ETFs or mutual funds just do it yourself. Open an account at Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity, etc and move your money. If you want some handholding while you learn the ropes, go to Vanguard and use their personal advisor service for, I think, .3%.
We plan. G-d laughs.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Help! I need advice….

Who’s right?

Thanks!!!
If your financial advisor told you he is trading on insider information you should report this fellow to the SEC.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:13 pm

Morningstar ratings are a measure of past performance. And again, past performance is not a good indicator of future performance. Consider these quotes from a Wall Street Journal article, https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mornin ... 1508946687:
Investors everywhere think a 5-star rating from Morningstar means a mutual fund will be a top performer—it doesn’t
A lot of these investors, and the people paid to guide them, take for granted that the number of stars awarded to a mutual fund is a good guide to its future performance.

By and large, it isn’t.

The Wall Street Journal tested Morningstar’s ratings by examining the performance of thousands of funds dating back to 2003, shortly after the company began its current system.... Of funds awarded a coveted five-star overall rating, only 12% did well enough over the next five years to earn a top rating for that period; 10% performed so poorly they were branded with a rock-bottom one-star rating.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Mountain Doc wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 am Ask your advisor when he began recommending the fund. I bet it wasn't 5 or 10 years ago.
Exactly. I used to be with Merrill Lynch. Our “financial advisor” would always provide a list of funds that outperformed. At one point he talked us into selling an S&P 500 fund (which was a blessing as it was a high cost Munder fund) for Munder NetNet Fund (which imploded).

Somehow the recommended funds never performed the same in the future.

We left for Vanguard and never heard from our “friend” again.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
WarAdmiral

Post by WarAdmiral »

Help! I need advice….

Who’s right?

Thanks!!!
Clearly, the funds (FAGAX) various records versus S&P500 is nothing to sneeze at.

Per Portfolio visualizer,
$10K invested in 1997 would return $100K, versus 78K for S&P500
$10K invested in 2010 would return $87K, versus 41K for S&P500
$10K invested in 2018 would return $27K, versus 14K for S&P500

However, there are two things in play now.

A. Reversion to mean - all funds revert to their mean. This funds significant outperformance from 2018 to present will likely return to mean in the future. In other words, i expect this fund to underperform the S&P500 in next 5 years.
B. As more people become aware of this fund, more $$$ will pour in and Mr. Kyle Weaver will be forced to deploy that cash otherwise it will create a drag in his returns. This forced play will cause human behavioral errors.

Mr. Kyle Weaver could be the next Peter Lynch, but we will only know after the fact, not today. So for this reason, i'll stay with average returns of S&P500.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Can someone direct me to the Cathie Wood thread?
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:13 pmWhy don’t we just all pick 5 star Morningstar funds to invest in?
I had the same thought when I first started to look at index funds. I was looking at the index funds for the “Coffeehouse” portfolio and I saw many of the funds were 3-star on Morningstar. I thought: why aren’t they 5-star if they are so good. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks - of course they are 3-star, they are average. But not just average for 1-3-5 year, but permanently average by design.

Other funds can go from 5-star to 1-star when the markets change, the index fund will be average through thick and thin. But the result of “average” with low costs is that you will outperform 80%+ of investors, especially those who are chasing performance by always buying the latest 5-star fund.

[note: over the years I have simplified from Coffeehouse all the way down to a “one-fund” portfolio]
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
Boglekid

Post by Boglekid »

The key is finding the 20% of active managed funds or active managed ETFs that out perform passive indexed funds/ETFs!

Now what are they?
empb

Post by empb »

Boglekid wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:06 am The key is finding the 20% of active managed funds or active managed ETFs that out perform passive indexed funds/ETFs!

Now what are they?
Is this a serious question?
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

Boglekid wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:06 am The key is finding the 20% of active managed funds or active managed ETFs that out perform passive indexed funds/ETFs!

Now what are they?
I will tell you, but I charge a 2% fee per year.
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
gips

Post by gips »

tell him you wont be cheap if he’s not cheap and ask him to make up the difference should the fund underperform the fidelity 500. shouldn't be a problem for him since it’s such a good investment.
Adfmacro

Post by Adfmacro »

It is one thing to stay the course in 2008 when the total market went down 37%, but it is much harder to stay with an actively managed fund that dropped over 50% that year. How many were even in the fund in 2007 stuck around until 2020? It is possible to do something during a dip to do better than average on the rise, but that did not pan out in 2009 for the fund.

I do have one actively managed fund. A bond fund with an ER of .1%. Stock funds are broad index funds only. I don’t need a financial advisor to help me stay the course. 79% in the short run does not do anything for me. If I had that, I would thinking it is time to rebalance back to my AA.
eukonomos

Post by eukonomos »

Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am ...
Help! I need advice….
And you've gotten it. Good advice. Lots of it.
Boglekid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:13 pm ...
One more question?

Now what are they?
But you aren't listening.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Now what are they?
Pick the one-year funds and hope they revert to the mean 😉