Crypto mania !

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Prahasaurus

Re: Crypto mania !

Post by Prahasaurus »

It's early. BTC hasn't even reached 100k yet. Try not to stress. Enjoy your summer, stop checking your portfolio so often. Check back in September and we can talk.
Asset Allocation: VT
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

HomerJ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:29 pm Not writing FDIC when talking about the .1% bank account is the POINT.

You didn't write FDIC in your post on purpose because then people would recognize the false comparison you were making.

The false comparison that you make every single day on these boards.
Does anyone here seriously believe Aave deposits are FDIC insured? Seriously? Do I really need to add that? This is Bogleheads, I think that's pretty obvious... :D

You can, by the way, take out decentralized insurance on your deposits at Aave if you are really worried.
Asset Allocation: VT
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Prahasaurus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:34 pm
HomerJ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:29 pm Not writing FDIC when talking about the .1% bank account is the POINT.

You didn't write FDIC in your post on purpose because then people would recognize the false comparison you were making.

Does anyone here seriously believe Aave deposits are FDIC insured? Seriously? Do I really need to add that? This is Bogleheads, I think that's pretty obvious... :D

You can, by the way, take out decentralized insurance on your deposits at Aave if you are really worried.
Insurance companies insuring against the default of financial institutions that are making risky loans...this is all sounding vaguely familiar.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I finally got some dot. I wanted to avoid the $25 wire fee, so I tried to transfer usdc from coinbase pro to kraken. Turns out that had a ~35 fee. Then also fees to buy dot.

I'm not sure what dot is, but it is now in my portfolio.

Probably easier and cheaper to just wire to kraken until I learn of a better way to fund it.

The advantage of the deposit from coinbase pro tho was that I could do it after hours
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Cycle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:49 pm I'm not sure what dot is, but it is now in my portfolio.
Pretty much sums up the entire sorry mess we are headed into.

I just know I'm going to lose a million dollars even without being involved when this somehow crashes the general stock market and economy as well.

Hopefully the recovery won't take too long... :(
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

JonnyDVM wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:40 pm
Prahasaurus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Insurance companies insuring against the default of financial institutions that are making risky loans...this is all sounding vaguely familiar.
Yes, you can buy credit default swaps too and that defi app is called "opium".
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Cycle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Why did you buy it?
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
banook

Post by banook »

HomerJ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:52 pm
I just know I'm going to lose a million dollars even without being involved when this somehow crashes the general stock market and economy as well.

Homer, can you elaborate on "how you know you are going to lose a million dollars?" I understand that the financial ecosystem is interconnected and I can empathize with friends that lost their house and shirts during the 2008-2009 - I personally did not experience this as I had no assets and was still a student, but have heard their stories.

Is it more a feeling or a knowing? If you do know specific things about leverage and firms, etc - it would be helpful to share those numbers. If you also know, wouldn't you just short it - which you can do... I know it costs money, but you can do that if you truly know. If it's a feeling - ok that's valid, but that's not as actionable.

I'm seeing euphoria and extreme concern in this forum - I understand the euphoria in terms of numbers because that has been explained by those that are euphoric. It would be helpful to have some specific numbers around extreme concern related to crypto - not analogies to the housing crisis or the dot-com bubble or tulips.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

banook wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm
HomerJ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:52 pm

Homer, can you elaborate on "how you know you are going to lose a million dollars?" I understand that the financial ecosystem is interconnected and I can empathize with friends that lost their house and shirts during the 2008-2009 - I personally did not experience this as I had no assets and was still a student, but have heard their stories.

Is it more a feeling or a knowing? If you do know specific things about leverage and firms, etc - it would be helpful to share those numbers. If you also know, wouldn't you just short it - which you can do... I know it costs money, but you can do that if you truly know. If it's a feeling - ok that's valid, but that's not as actionable.

I'm seeing euphoria and extreme concern in this forum - I understand the euphoria in terms of numbers because that has been explained by those that are euphoric. It would be helpful to have some specific numbers around extreme concern related to crypto - not analogies to the housing crisis or the dot-com bubble or tulips.
"I just know" is an expression.

In truth, I know nothing. None of us do. No one can predict the future. I can't tell you what's going to happen.

I'm WORRIED that if\when the next crypto crash happens, it will be too inter-mingled with standard institutions, that Wall Street will have made some leveraged bets (like they always do unless stopped by regulations, because it's not their money), and that the economy and various financial institutions will need to be bailed out.

I don't have any FOMO. I don't need to be involved in get rich quick pump and dump schemes.

I just don't want it to take down the normal economy, so hopefully it will become regulated sooner rather than later. I'm scared there's going to a be a lot of pain out there.

For every person who gets a million dollars generated out of thin air, there are a hundred people who are going to lose thousands of dollars they can't afford to lose.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

HomerJ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:19 pm

I just don't want it to take down the normal economy, so hopefully it will become regulated sooner rather than later. I'm scared there's going to a be a lot of pain out there.

For every person who gets a million dollars generated out of thin air, there are a hundred people who are going to lose thousands of dollars they can't afford to lose.
I'm not sure if the regulation will come until after the crash, when it creates the political will to 'do something'.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:05 pm

Why did you buy it?
Somebody mentioned Dot on here. To quench my FOMO, my crypto strategy requires me to purchase $2k worth of any defi coin I hear about. But I try to avoid the meme coins, like dog money or gumrocket. I could be overthinking it though, as dog money could be the future leading store of wealth.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:22 pm

I'm not sure if the regulation will come until after the crash, when it creates the political will to 'do something'.
I agree with you. We will all probably have to suffer first.
txhill

Post by txhill »

Cycle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Why did you buy it?
Somebody mentioned Dot on here. To quench my FOMO, my crypto strategy requires me to purchase $2k worth of any defi coin I hear about. But I try to avoid the meme coins, like dog money or gumrocket. I could be overthinking it though, as dog money could be the future leading store of wealth.
Here's a new one for you, definitely not just a meme coin!

Loser Coin
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/loser-coin/
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

txhill wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:44 pm

Why did you buy it?

Loser Coin
Heh, let's all mention a thousand different coins and drive poor Cycle into investing $2000 into each one.

(and then one of them will go up 1,000,000%, probably, and he'll get the last laugh)... :)
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

Is there a large derivatives market based on crypto that presents a systemic risk? I'm just askin' for a friend.
txhill

Post by txhill »

HomerJ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:52 pm

Why did you buy it?

Loser Coin
Heh, let's all mention a thousand different coins and drive poor Cycle into investing $2000 into each one.

(and then one of them will go up 1,000,000%, probably, and he'll get the last laugh)... :)
This is actually a legitimate strategy, like what a VC does except on an even more aggressive scale. People do this during a crypto bear market while altcoins are very cheap, and just hold through the bull to see what comes alive. Buying random alts right now in the midst of a bull market... not so sure that will work out well :)
GR8FUL-D

Post by GR8FUL-D »

txhill wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:44 pm Here's a new one for you, definitely not just a meme coin!

Loser Coin
This is copy and past from coinmarketcap.com

Losercoin is a project initiated by two poor guys from China, one is a father of two kids from a village, the other one is a coder living a miserable life by working 60 hours a week . Two founders first heard about Bitcoin in 2017, and had lost a ton of money by trading cryptocurrencies. They started this project as an open journey and were fully prepared to lose everything. Losercoin was publicly launched on April 21, 2021 (No Initial Coin Offering), and two founders have added their whole life savings into the liquidity pool. It is guaranteed that the project team will not pump the price of $LOWB due to lack of capital, and no rug pull.

The live Loser Coin price today is $0.000603 USD with a 24-hour trading volume of $17,068,721 USD. Loser Coin is down 67.44% in the last 24 hours. The current CoinMarketCap ranking is #672, with a live market cap of $36,383,059 USD. It has a circulating supply of 60,296,840,158 LOWB coins and the max. supply is not available.

Someone really should create a Boglecoin, give all registered members of this forum a hundred thousand coins or whatever, and see what happens.

If anyone ever creates a "Jerry" or "Dead" coin I'm going all-in immediately.
banook

Post by banook »

HomerJ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:39 pm
watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:22 pm

I agree with you. We will all probably have to suffer first.
Yes, but from suffering I would argue you get something new and a learning (and yup regulation). My home nation is extremely risk averse, worried all the time, constantly seeking safety in terms of innovation, although recently they have allowed crypto ETFs - that really threw me. But I was also like: "huh."

In truth, probably many people should seek safety and only take the risks they can bear, but they don't - in crypto and other things. In the interim, the best course of action for me is to try and become as much of a geek as I can about something I fear or am excited about it. I was a naysayer, then a small flow-based emotional LSI HODLer in BTC in 2017, then a big naysayer, now I'm just curious and semi-future optimistic. Curiosity can kill, but most of the time it has served me well. If you use it and still fear it or have reason to fear it (the actual thing - not another thing) - well, now you've got specifics, and numbers, and information, and that's true value.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

sid hartha wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:53 pm Is there a large derivatives market based on crypto that presents a systemic risk? I'm just askin' for a friend.
How would we know or even find out?
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Why did you buy it?

Loser Coin

You'll have to do it incognito, like reply to a txhill message and give x,y,z reasons why Loser Coin is the new dog money and then i will go ahead and add Loser Coin to the cycle portfolio.

I won't just buy coins mentioned in reply to my crypto asset allocation strategy.

Also I only read about 5% of the crypto postings on here, so it's unlikely you'll catch me with the rouse.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:00 pm
sid hartha wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:53 pm Is there a large derivatives market based on crypto that presents a systemic risk? I'm just askin' for a friend.
I don't know I'm counting on you guys!
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

sid hartha wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:06 pm
I know there are derivatives in crypto.

I don't know if the magnitude and systemic danger is large enough to cause GFC 2.0.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:22 pm

I don't know if the magnitude and systemic danger is large enough to cause GFC 2.0.
With zero regulation, and Wall Street quants using other people's money... I'm thinking the longer this goes on, the higher the magnitude and danger will grow.
banook

Post by banook »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:22 pm

https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity ... bonds.html# there is a short option. I wouldn't do it. Shorting is really not my thing nor are derivatives nor are futures - on anything. Leverage is not my thing - alas it is there.
hilink73

Post by hilink73 »

txhill wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 pm

Why did you buy it?

Loser Coin

This is actually a legitimate strategy, like what a VC does except on an even more aggressive scale. People do this during a crypto bear market while altcoins are very cheap, and just hold through the bull to see what comes alive. Buying random alts right now in the midst of a bull market... not so sure that will work out well :)
It's in the scripture.
Bull market isn't over yet.
(Maybe I'm wrong, tho.)
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Bull market could end with a 70% pull back, landing us at the price we are at today. Or it could end in 0 for plenty of these alt coins, maybe even eth/btc. I'm not going to speculate on where we are in the crypto cycle.

I believe it's still early days with crypto, but I don't know anything about these digital tokens or their supposed utility
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Cycle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:06 pm Bull market could end with a 70% pull back, landing us at the price we are at today. Or it could end in 0 for plenty of these alt coins, maybe even eth/btc. I'm not going to speculate on where we are in the crypto cycle.

I believe it's still early days with crypto, but I don't know anything about these digital tokens or their supposed utility
Coinbase actually has a lot of developer tutorials that explains what the tokens are good for.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:18 pm
Cycle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:06 pm Bull market could end with a 70% pull back, landing us at the price we are at today. Or it could end in 0 for plenty of these alt coins, maybe even eth/btc. I'm not going to speculate on where we are in the crypto cycle.

Coinbase actually has a lot of developer tutorials that explains what the tokens are good for.
You can also go to https://coinmarketcap.com/ and click on any individual asset to read a good summary to whet your appetite.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Texanbybirth wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:21 pm

You can also go to https://coinmarketcap.com/ and click on any individual asset to read a good summary to whet your appetite.
I don't research individual stocks, I'm not going to research individual cryptos. I just buy the main ones that appear to not be meme tokens. The cliff notes here are good enough for me.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Cycle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:26 pm

I don't research individual stocks, I'm not going to research individual cryptos. I just buy the main ones that appear to not be meme tokens. The cliff notes here are good enough for me.
Weird, but if you think what is said here is Cliffs Notes, then you truly are a "passive" investor. :happy :beer
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
banook

Post by banook »

About an hour ago: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/139 ... 43203?s=20

Tesla will no longer accept BTC, but is not ruling out other currencies...
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

banook wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:31 pm About an hour ago: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/139 ... 43203?s=20

Tesla will no longer accept BTC, but is not ruling out other currencies...
I want to hear the BTC maximalists' rebuttals.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

Texanbybirth wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:40 pm
Cycle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:26 pm

Weird, but if you think what is said here is Cliffs Notes, then you truly are a "passive" investor. :happy :beer
It's not completely unreasonable, just making an index of sorts make sense if you believe in crypto as a whole but not any specific one
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

No, certainly no mania. <--- Irony

CaroleBaskin on Twitter:
I'm purring like a bobcat rolling in catnip because we just launched $cat on [web page URL] Rocketing up to #35 out of 117 & thinking of ways to reward those who join our "pride" of big cat lovers! Learn more at https://bigcatrescue.org/cat/
https://bigcatrescue.org/cat/
Big Cat Rescue issues $CAT, a freshly minted “alt coin”, AKA “creator coin,” to their millions of fans worldwide....

Carole Baskin says, “I’m investigating crypto currencies because I am concerned about the volume of US dollars that are being printed and distributed with nothing to back them up. At this point both the USD and BitCoin are fiat currencies, but at least BitCoin and other altcoins have scarcity built in and now there is much more broad adoption of them in our everyday lives. I like the idea of putting the power of money in the hands of the people, rather than banks and governments. Our new $CAT coin is not a currency for investment, but rather is a purr-ency of our fans to show their love for the cats and to reap the benefits of being our most forward thinking partners in creating a world where all wild cats live free.... Our fan base is amazing and I just know they will push $CAT to the top of the charts so that others learn about saving big cats from the cruelty of captivity.”
For whose who might not know, Carole Baskin
is an American big-cat rights activist and CEO of Big Cat Rescue, a non-profit animal sanctuary...

Baskin drew public attention when she was featured in the 2020 Netflix documentary series Tiger King about Oklahoma-based private zoo operator Joe Exotic. The Netflix series follows both Baskin and Joe Exotic... filming their ongoing and escalating feuds over exotic animals in private zoos. Following the release of the series, Baskin has been the subject of internet memes and conspiracy theories.... Baskin is also well known for her appearance on Dancing with the Stars, featuring her dancing to a cover of the song "Eye of the Tiger".
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Is this cryptocurrency for real?
https://crypto.com/price/titcoin
flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 »

You'd think they'd pick a name that didn't look like "scat". Talk about a really crappy coin.

In other news, Tesla won't accept Bitcoin on account of environmental concerns now. I'm sure that will dominate the news cycle for a bit. Sure to be a wild ride.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

flyfishers83 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 pm You'd think they'd pick a name that didn't look like "scat". Talk about a really crappy coin.

In other news, Tesla won't accept Bitcoin on account of environmental concerns now. I'm sure that will dominate the news cycle for a bit. Sure to be a wild ride.
Did Musk just now learn about the energy consumption to mine BTC?? Hard to believe. Sounds like he’s just completing the “dump” part of that pump-and-dump scheme as he leads his Twitter followers to the next scam.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Kookaburra wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:57 pm

Did Musk just now learn about the energy consumption to mine BTC?? Hard to believe. Sounds like he’s just completing the “dump” part of that pump-and-dump scheme as he leads his Twitter followers to the next scam.
Of course he didn't just learn about it.

My guess is the Dogecoin episode was his beta test for making his own coin that meets his requirements.

Which his fanbois will probably snatch up in droves.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

All prices plummeting and Coinbase server appears to be having trouble. Oh boy.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

JonnyDVM wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:09 pm All prices plummeting and Coinbase server appears to be having trouble. Oh boy.
Guess you can't buy in the dip?
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:11 pm
JonnyDVM wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:09 pm All prices plummeting and Coinbase server appears to be having trouble. Oh boy.
Wrong. I think I got my Etherium buy in on the third go? Maybe?
danbdzs

Post by danbdzs »

I'm loving it. For some reason I enjoy watching these events unfolding in real time.
Also, a somewhat needed stress test for the mania that was filling up the air.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Bitcoin down 18% for those that follow. Ouch.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

JonnyDVM wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:13 pm
watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:11 pm
It's not Coinbase Pro isn't loading for me...
chinchin

Post by chinchin »

watchnerd wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:06 pm
Kookaburra wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:57 pm

Of course he didn't just learn about it.

My guess is the Dogecoin episode was his beta test for making his own coin that meets his requirements.

Which his fanbois will probably snatch up in droves.
Well, his mom appears to be selling some kind of robot dog NFT on Binance Smart Chain.

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/1 ... 31937?s=21
not financial advice
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

danbdzs wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:14 pm
I'm loving it. For some reason I enjoy watching these events unfolding in real time.
Also, a somewhat needed stress test for the mania that was filling up the air.
A good stress test for the exchanges too, apparently.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

You know. I have to admit- I’m a bit disappointed that not a single Boglehead pointed out that crypto was a risky, volatile investment. Where were you guys on this one ? :confused
txhill

Post by txhill »

JonnyDVM wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:21 pm You know. I have to admit- I’m a bit disappointed that not a single Boglehead pointed out that crypto was a risky, volatile investment. Where were you guys on this one ? :confused
Everyone is too busy buying the dip!
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

JonnyDVM wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:13 pm

I was expecting some Eth fire sale price, but it's still above $3800, which is above the price I purchased at.

BTC looks to be climbing back up from $47k.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Trading tools needs sound effects for days like this.