2021 JD Power study: Vanguard ranks highest in customer satisfaction

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
okwriter

2021 JD Power study: Vanguard ranks highest in customer satisfaction

Post by okwriter »

JD Power has released the results of their 2021 U.S. Self-Directed Investor Satisfaction Study.
JD Power wrote:The 2021 study is based on responses from 4,895 investors who make all their investment decisions without the counsel of a full-service dedicated financial advisor. The study was fielded from December 2020 through February 2021.
Based on the anecdotes here, you would think Fidelity or Schwab would top the list. But it is surprisingly not so.

Customer satisfaction among do-it-yourself (DIY) investors:
  1. Vanguard
  2. Charles Schwab
  3. T. Rowe Price
  4. Robinhood
    --Segment Average--
  5. Fidelity
Normchad

Re: 2021 JD Power study: Vanguard ranks highest in customer satisfaction

Post by Normchad »

Good to see. I am an very satisfied customer. I know others on the forum are very unhappy with customer service though.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Normchad wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:14 pm Good to see. I am an very satisfied customer. I know others on the forum are very unhappy with customer service though.
Same. People on the internet rarely proclaim their satisfaction with a product or service. Since this is a financial advice and guidance forum, it couples with a higher propensity for people to ask for advice after a bad experience.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

runninginvestor wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:31 pm
Normchad wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:14 pm Good to see. I am an very satisfied customer. I know others on the forum are very unhappy with customer service though.
Same. People on the internet rarely proclaim their satisfaction with a product or service. Since this is a financial advice and guidance forum, it couples with a higher propensity for people to ask for advice after a bad experience.
I just read some lawn weed-and-feed one-star reviews last week before purchasing:
"It burned my lawn. And package said it would cover 5000 square feet but it only covered 500 square feet."
Last edited by David Jay on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

I am happy with Vanguard because I never call their support. But, JD Power rankings are trash anyway.
starboi

Post by starboi »

Wonder how much Vanguard Marketing Corporation paid for this distinction.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Vanguard. Came for the low fees, stayed for the good enough for me service. And the low fees. Always the low fees.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

starboi wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:39 pm Wonder how much Vanguard Marketing Corporation paid for this distinction.
Cheaper than paying to hire and retain good quality reps :wink:
We plan. G-d laughs.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I've been happier with my Fidelity HSA and with M1 Finance (rollover and Roth IRAs) than I was with Vanguard.
The Sensible Steward
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

bogledogle wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:38 pm I am happy with Vanguard because I never call their support. But, JD Power rankings are trash anyway.
I’m not taking issue with your opinion of JD Power rankings, but why do you say they are “trash”?
Just asking.

Thanks.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

David Jay wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:36 pm And package said it would cover 5000 square feet but it only covered 500 square feet.
This sounds like me with the mayonnaise jar. :wink:
I never get as many sandwiches as I should from a single jar.

Regards,
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. -George Orwell
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

retired@50 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:00 pm
David Jay wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:36 pm And package said it would cover 5000 square feet but it only covered 500 square feet.

Regards,
Yeah, but 10 times too much weed killer has a much more rapid impact. :happy
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

bondsr4me wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:56 pm
bogledogle wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:38 pm I am happy with Vanguard because I never call their support. But, JD Power rankings are trash anyway.
I’m not taking issue with your opinion of JD Power rankings, but why do you say they are “trash”?
Just asking.

Thanks.
They give out too many awards by creating too many meaningless categories so more winner can be "created".
txhill

Post by txhill »

I'm happy with Vanguard but they really do need to update their app already.
NerdicSkier

Post by NerdicSkier »

J D Power Hammer? J D Power Rod?
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

David Jay wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:03 pm

Regards,
The weeds are dead, aren’t they? What’s the complaint? :wink:
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Vanguard ranks highest in customer satisfaction and Chevrolet makes the best cars in the world !
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:39 pm Vanguard. Came for the low fees, stayed for the good enough for me service. And the low fees. Always the low fees.
Yep. Every day it's a new sob story for some on here. Don't make everyone else miserable. If you're dissatisfied, just do your research, make a decision, and leave. Simple.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I prefer VG also. I am sooo glad that the Johnson family gets none of my stash. That's good enough.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:53 pm
David Jay wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:03 pm

Regards,
The weeds are dead, aren’t they? What’s the complaint? :wink:
See, that’s the point. Weeds are dead and they are still giving that fertilizer brand a 1 star rating. It just isn’t fair. :wink:
reisner

Post by reisner »

Despite my terrible customer service experience (recent post: five months to do a charitable donation of shares), I am reluctant to leave what I know and what has done so well for my investments the last dozen years. The Schwab website made little sense to me. The Fidelity one was better. Has anyone compared the ten-year performance of all three in a total US stock fund? I tried but couldn't figure it out. Nisiprius, I'm talking about you.
Last edited by reisner on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

okwriter wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:11 pm JD Power has released the results of their 2021 U.S. Self-Directed Investor Satisfaction Study.
JD Power wrote:The 2021 study is based on responses from 4,895 investors who make all their investment decisions without the counsel of a full-service dedicated financial advisor. The study was fielded from December 2020 through February 2021.
Based on the anecdotes here, you would think Fidelity or Schwab would top the list. But it is surprisingly not so.

Customer satisfaction among do-it-yourself (DIY) investors:
  1. Vanguard
  2. Charles Schwab
  3. T. Rowe Price
  4. Robinhood
    --Segment Average--
  5. Fidelity
Excellent news about the house that Jack built! I have never really had an overwhelming need to call Vanguard. When I have over the years, our questions and concerns are resolved.

Thank you Jack Bogle!
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

reisner wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:25 pm Despite my terrible customer service experience (recent post: five months to do a charitable donation of shares), I am reluctant to leave what I know and what has done so well for my investments the last dozen years. The Schwab website made little sense to me. The Fidelity one was better. Has anyone compared the ten-year performance of all three in a total US stock fund? I tried but couldn't figure it out. Nisiprius, I'm talking about you.
If you hold VTI at all 3 the return will be the same. I hold VTI at Schwab and couldn't be happier.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

JD Power at same time ranks Vanguard 11th in Full Service Investor Satisfaction Study.
https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

Honestly, these rankings are arbitrary. And it changes every year (even though most brokerages don't change their UI every year).
PDX_Traveler

Post by PDX_Traveler »

txhill wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:39 pm I'm happy with Vanguard but they really do need to update their app already.
Hope springs eternal... a few months ago, I saw what looked and walked like a beta of a new Vanguard app thinking they were at least trying out some new features. Suffice to say, it was a most pointless exercise - at least to me, it was not clear at all why they deployed that version. Unless it was a 'hello world' project for their internal app development team.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:53 pm Vanguard ranks highest in customer satisfaction and Chevrolet makes the best cars in the world !
Ummm .... Did you not read the fine print? Chevy makes the best cars in “initial quality” among cars made by Detroit based manufacturers that are not Ford. Lol
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

PDX_Traveler wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:29 pm
txhill wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:39 pm I'm happy with Vanguard but they really do need to update their app already.
Hope springs eternal... a few months ago, I saw what looked and walked like a beta of a new Vanguard app thinking they were at least trying out some new features. Suffice to say, it was a most pointless exercise - at least to me, it was not clear at all why they deployed that version. Unless it was a 'hello world' project for their internal app development team.
It had biometrics login which is a plus, though I agree otherwise.. But I have no idea why the main app still doesn't have it when my dinky credit union's app does.

A
chris319

Post by chris319 »

No love for TD Ameritrade.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Apparently there's some consistency with this, we had a thread last year
viewtopic.php?p=5530009

Looks like T.Rowe Price overtook Schwab this year, Schwab was number 2 last year.

Probably should note the full criteria/statement though:
Vanguard (736) ranks highest in self-directed investor satisfaction among investors seeking guidance.
Customers without the 'seeking guidance' modifier didn't rank it as high last year, although this year it appears they did.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

David Jay wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:36 pm
runninginvestor wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:31 pm
I just read some lawn weed-and-feed one-star reviews last week before purchasing:
"It burned my lawn. And package said it would cover 5000 square feet but it only covered 500 square feet."
Lol. Rtfm
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Topic Author
okwriter

Post by okwriter »

JoMoney wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:10 pm Apparently there's some consistency with this, we had a thread last year
viewtopic.php?p=5530009

Looks like T.Rowe Price overtook Schwab this year, Schwab was number 2 last year.

Probably should note the full criteria/statement though:
Vanguard (736) ranks highest in self-directed investor satisfaction among investors seeking guidance.
Customers without the 'seeking guidance' modifier didn't rank it as high last year, although this year it appears they did.
Just want to note that the results I had posted are for DIY investors (no guidance), as stated in the underlined part. It’s from the second image in the article and not the first.
okwriter wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:11 pm Customer satisfaction among do-it-yourself (DIY) investors:
dewey

Post by dewey »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm
Kenkat wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:39 pm Vanguard. Came for the low fees, stayed for the good enough for me service. And the low fees. Always the low fees.
Yep. Every day it's a new sob story for some on here. Don't make everyone else miserable. If you're dissatisfied, just do your research, make a decision, and leave. Simple.
+1
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

We don't need no stinkin' surveys!!

I decided about ten years ago to test drive VG as an alternate to Fidelity. I set up a Roth. I set up an after tax. I used their phone reps. I had phone reps tell me one thing than experienced something exact opposite. I received awful guidance from phone reps. I asked them to convert mutual fund shares to ETF shares and experienced a high level of frustration. I decided to xfer over to Fidelity and again experienced a high level of frustration. I found out that they have archaic restrictions on beneficiary designations. I finally left and asked them to lock down my account remnants on the way out.

Why on earth would I care what some survey has to say?? I've walked it and I'm not buying it....for a minute. 8-)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

What fees?! If you're talking about the ERs the funds charge, you pay those same low "fees" wherever you hold VG funds. You don't have to put up with the crappy VG brokerage services for this. Do you really think that anybody pays "fees" for a brokerage account? :confused
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
HE Pennypacker

Post by HE Pennypacker »

I haven't had any issues with Vanguard as such but I cringe every time I log in. Fidelity has such a great UI and layout.
Eat33

Post by Eat33 »

My experience with Vanguard is it ranks as one of the lowest in customer satisfaction.

Vanguard has no accountability.

Please anyone considering Vanguard just call Schwab or Fidelity and ask a few questions.

I moved to Schwab 12 years ago and have been very pleased.
Munir

Post by Munir »

Eat33 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:07 am My experience with Vanguard is it ranks as one of the lowest in customer satisfaction.

Please anyone considering Vanguard just call Schwab or Fidelity and ask a few questions.

But you still post on the Boglehead web site?
afan

Post by afan »

Very happy with Vanguard.
I think there has been a trend here of complaining mainly about V service. Not an unbiased sample.
Power does use an unbiased sample.
The results do not mean that everyone is happy with V, S or F. The results indicates that, across a range of investors, customers are happier with Vanguard than the competition.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
afan

Post by afan »

Frequent glitches sap customer satisfaction: Problem incidence has doubled in the past year, affecting 11% of all do-it-yourself investors and 12% of those in the seeking guidance segment of self-directed investors. The most frequent sources of problems are websites, processing and/or trade execution and account statements. Both overall customer loyalty and customer advocacy have increased significantly among investors who do not experience these problems.
Apparently these problems are not unique to Vanguard.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

fwellimort wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:46 pm JD Power at same time ranks Vanguard 11th in Full Service Investor Satisfaction Study.
Is this surprising? Vanguard isn't and doesn't seek to be a full service broker. That's never been their model.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

PDX_Traveler wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:29 pm
Go to the App Store and download Vanguard Beacon. Right now it looks more visually engaging, but functionally stripped down. You can have and use both apps at the same time. I assume that at some point the Beacon app will replace the standard app, but who knows.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Love the tribalism in this thread (myself included). Everyone wants the reassurance and peer confirmation that they've made a sound decision. Join my team! It's the BEST team!

There's some recency bias at play. It's only been a couple of years that ETFs have been commission free at most major brokerages, and actually Vanguard did it first among the majors -- July 2, 2018 (although few were probably using Vanguard to trade non-Vanguard ETFs in the first place):

https://pressroom.vanguard.com/news/Pre ... 70218.html

Schwab, E-Trade, TD Ameritrade, and Fidelity followed over a year later beginning on October 2, 2019.

I'll stick with the OG low-cost group until they give me a significant reason not to. Vanguard is great for autopilot mutual fund investment. Then if you later want ETFs, you can convert tax-free, which isn't available anywhere else.
Volando

Post by Volando »

I’m a small fry yet but so far all my interactions with Vanguard have been great. I reckon I can always switch if I need to but for now I’m pretty satisfied :) +1 for vanguard
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm
100%
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Munir wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:04 am
Eat33 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:07 am My experience with Vanguard is it ranks as one of the lowest in customer satisfaction.
But you still post on the Boglehead web site?
Bogleheads has moved on from being Vanguard-centric, as it well should.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

HE Pennypacker wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:38 am I haven't had any issues with Vanguard as such but I cringe every time I log in. Fidelity has such a great UI and layout.
… and that’s what makes horse races. For a number of reasons, we have Vanguard and Fidelity accounts. I always find it more difficult to “find what I’m looking to do” on Fidelity. I find the layout confusing compared to Vanguard; I prefer meat and potatoes to the fancier spread.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Vanguard has been great although I'm low maintenance.

I suspect the people complaining it has something to do with complexity, high maintenance or their personality.
Last edited by lostdog on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

fwellimort wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:46 pm JD Power at same time ranks Vanguard 11th in Full Service Investor Satisfaction Study.

Honestly, these rankings are arbitrary. And it changes every year (even though most brokerages don't change their UI every year).
Well, the winner being Edward Jones makes sense. EJ advisors might be a friend, a person at your church, a neighbor, in short clients make a friendship with their advisor. It can be said Edward Jones gives a segment of the investing population exactly what they want.

Truthfully, some can certainly do a better job for themselves, but even so some will never take the reins of their investments. EJ is probably a good fit for them.

And, who can deny that Edward Jones services their clients, good and hard? :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
thesandman

Post by thesandman »

I realized while doing my taxes this year that I've finally achieved my goal of consolidating down to one brokerage. It's taken several years to get here because of concerns of tax hits, so did it mainly through yearly charitable donations of equity. The company I've gone to is Vanguard because I trust them and know they won't play games in the future with fees, etc and they have always treated me and my family well.

I was able to convinced my company 5 years ago to look at alternatives to their long standing high fee with single fund choice retirement plan. After interviewing and extensive spread sheet analysis of 4 companies, including fidelity, vanguard/ascencus, and Schwab, the decision was easy. On the surface fidelity and Schwab looked better, but vanguard won the vote after looking deeper at fees and other gotchas. In addition, we appreciated how vanguard's default option for employees who didn't want to self direct would be target retirement funds at ultra low institutional fee rates.

Count me in as another happy vanguard customer.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

JD Power gave hp a high rating. I remember hp service as keeping people on hold for hours before someone answered from India who knew zero.