CryptoHeads: What's next after NFTs?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Samosa22

CryptoHeads: What's next after NFTs?

Post by Samosa22 »

A question for knowledgeable folks in the Crypto world: What do you think would likley be the next hype? Gaming coins and tokens? Something else?
Diversification is protection against ignorance - WB.
geerhardusvos

Re: CryptoHeads: What's next after NFTs?

Post by geerhardusvos »

Samosa22 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:35 pm A question for knowledgeable folks in the Crypto world: What do you think would likley be the next hype? Gaming coins and tokens? Something else?
VTI will still be cool as everything else comes and goes.
VTSAX and chill
bberris

Post by bberris »

cryptobeaniebabies
qwerty123

Post by qwerty123 »

I'm personally still pretty excited about defi in general, especially given the number of new layer 2 options coming online. I'm not sure this necessarily will directly translate into certain tokens going up in price (which I think is what you are asking for), but I think overall usage is going to increase dramatically.

For context, I was able to deposit stablecoins into a layer 2 interest bearing account for << $0.01, which compared to the $40 I've paid on Ethereum layer 1 is ground breaking.
Topic Author
Samosa22

Post by Samosa22 »

qwerty123 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:02 pm I'm personally still pretty excited about defi in general, especially given the number of new layer 2 options coming online. I'm not sure this necessarily will directly translate into certain tokens going up in price (which I think is what you are asking for), but I think overall usage is going to increase dramatically.

For context, I was able to deposit stablecoins into a layer 2 interest bearing account for << $0.01, which compared to the $40 I've paid on Ethereum layer 1 is ground breaking.
Thanks for your reply! I am "invested" in defi too (AAVE, UNI, LINK) but they seem to be moving sideways (by crypto standards), and I don't see >20x profit potential in them. NFT craze also seems to be fading away. There will be that "next thing" soon. Of course no one knows for sure what that thing would be, but I am wondering what crypto experts think are the more likely candidates that have a potential to the moon. I am not talking about BTC, ETH, DOT etc. I am talking about something that even seasoned CryptoHeads think is high risk high reward.
Diversification is protection against ignorance - WB.

Post by 000 »

I don't know, NFTs feel like a "jumped the shark" moment to me. At least a decentralized currency has a theoretical application. But being recognized by others as the "owner" of something like a basketball dunk clip has no application other than vanity / conspicuous consumption.

Edit: changed my mind, see below. People have always been buying all kinds of vanity stuff I don't care about.
Last edited by 000 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

000 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:24 pm I don't know, NFTs feel like a "jumped the shark" moment to me. At least a decentralized currency has a theoretical application. But being recognized by others as the "owner" of something like a basketball dunk clip has no application other than vanity / conspicuous consumption.
Few would agree with the blasphemy I'm about to type, but I feel this way about most any art whether it is physical or digital when the price is more than $50.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Samosa22 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:35 pm A question for knowledgeable folks in the Crypto world: What do you think would likley be the next hype? Gaming coins and tokens? Something else?
biometric crypto
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder

Post by 000 »

Slacker wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:50 pm
000 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:24 pm I don't know, NFTs feel like a "jumped the shark" moment to me. At least a decentralized currency has a theoretical application. But being recognized by others as the "owner" of something like a basketball dunk clip has no application other than vanity / conspicuous consumption.
Few would agree with the blasphemy I'm about to type, but I feel this way about most any art whether it is physical or digital when the price is more than $50.
Well now you have me rethinking my earlier post.

Vanity / conspicuous consumption is a huge driver of human behaviour, so..... NFTs are here to stay as digital / virtual form of the same? :twisted:
Bud

Post by Bud »

Check out Syncbond - this is an interesting product which tries to lend stability to crypto currencies so they can develop in defi. I have no affiliation with the site or product, just an interested party who will probably invest soon.
DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 »

Osprey and others will likely get a crypto ETF

https://ospreyfunds.io/

Podcast interview:
https://theirrelevantinvestor.com/2021/ ... n-bitcoin/

Pearlman hints (I think) that in some ETFs there will be several currencies, or something creative like that.

ETFs might lead to much wider adoption.
qwerty123

Post by qwerty123 »

Bud wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 pm Check out Syncbond - this is an interesting product which tries to lend stability to crypto currencies so they can develop in defi. I have no affiliation with the site or product, just an interested party who will probably invest soon.
Neat, but I don't get what the point of sync itself is here. You're forced to lock up an equal amount of sync with your liquidity tokens, and then you are rewarded with some yield in sync tokens. No actual yield is really being generated, it.. just seems to be incentivizing people to buy it in order to earn more of it. But I suppose that is par for the course in this space or maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of it?
telemark

Post by telemark »

According to the Elon Musk Hypothesis, it will be whatever that interesting gentleman decides to tweet about next. So if you can predict that, your fortune is made :D
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

Bud wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 pm Check out Syncbond - this is an interesting product which tries to lend stability to crypto currencies so they can develop in defi. I have no affiliation with the site or product, just an interested party who will probably invest soon.
Uh ..

You are provided with a tradeable NFT CryptoBond that is not only rare, but one-of-a-kind and collectable. CryptoBonds are completely unique, and provide owners with a unique digital artwork representation.

Seriously ? Bonds as collectibles ?

OK, I know very old share certificates are worth money sometimes, but this ? It's not like they're Disney issuing share certificates ..
gips

Post by gips »

i make about one bet per decade and have done very well (my last two were fb and btc), i’m strongly considering the coinbase ipo as a 6-12 month bet.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

The Delusions of Crowds: Why People Go Mad in Groups By William Bernstein.

feel the bern.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

The biggest weakness of cryptocurrency in general is onboarding, and then dealing with wallets/gas/etc. Whoever figures out how to make the onboarding process seamless to the point where people don't even realize they are using crypto, that will be a monster product. But I don't know if that is happening yet. I suppose Top Shot and Nifty Gateway are sort of examples of this, but I was thinking in more general terms rather than just NFTs.
ElJefeDelQueso

Post by ElJefeDelQueso »

I was hoping for something more like Ready Player One.
Derpalator

Post by Derpalator »

bberris wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 pm cryptobeaniebabies
cryptobeaniebaby wine bottle and cork art NFT's
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I think they need to do one where they start out with 100,000 million coins and the miners make them randomly go away until there's only one left.
This time is the same
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

firebirdparts wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 am I think they need to do one where they start out with 100,000 million coins and the miners make them randomly go away until there's only one left.
Block chain raffle?
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

watchnerd wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:52 pm
biometric crypto
So I have a chance to own LeBron James' fingerprints? :shock:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, not productive). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.