[GameStop GME trading mega-thread]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Da5id

Re: [GameStop GME trading mega-thread]

Post by Da5id »

TheCaterer wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:54 am
Da5id wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:31 am
birdog wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:29 am
JonnyDVM wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:11 pm
JBTX wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:56 pm Can one buy long puts on GME? This is maybe a $20 stock, at best.
Go ahead. I (explicative deleted) dare you. GameStop fair price is $1000/share. Write it down. Undervalued right now. By a lot.
How are you get to fair price at $1000? I've heard a few experts value it at under $50 so am wondering how you arrived at $1000.
"Science" surely...
I thought the coronavirus skeptics subreddit was a totally different thing.
Not where I was going (lost both parents to it), but you do you?
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

JBTX wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:56 pm Can one buy long puts on GME? This is maybe a $20 stock, at best.
Go ahead. I (explicative deleted) dare you. GameStop fair price is $1000/share. Write it down. Undervalued right now. By a lot.
How are you get to fair price at $1000? I've heard a few experts value it at under $50 so am wondering how you arrived at $1000.
I read it on the internet
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
birdog

Post by birdog »

JonnyDVM wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:48 am
Well, why didn't you say so in the first place!? LOL
Bryzzo2016

Post by Bryzzo2016 »

My math is sketchy at best, but right or wrong, e-commerce is currently valued higher than brick & mortar retail. Ryan Cohen (hopefully future GME CEO) started Chewy, market cap is around 36 billion right now.

It's not too extreme to assume video gaming industry could be as big or bigger than pet food delivery :-).

So a 36B valuation on GME's 70-mil shares is $514.29. Call it crazy, but my point is, I disagree this will be a $50 stock in a few months.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Bryzzo2016 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:30 pm
My math is sketchy at best, but right or wrong, e-commerce is currently valued higher than brick & mortar retail. Ryan Cohen (hopefully future GME CEO) started Chewy, market cap is around 36 billion right now.

It's not too extreme to assume video gaming industry could be as big or bigger than pet food delivery :-).

So a 36B valuation on GME's 70-mil shares is $514.29. Call it crazy, but my point is, I disagree this will be a $50 stock in a few months.
My kids are avid gamers, early 20s. They buy most content directly from Playstation. They buy hardware online, but would need a reason to pick Gamestop over Amazon, or over "random cheapest seller". They haven't been inside a Gamestop store in maybe 8-10 years, so the name/brand has no hold on them. Video game industry being big doesn't mean Gamestop has a place in it. Mind you, what the price is/should be is (to me) unknowable. But building castles in the air I suppose is part of investing....
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

JonnyDVM wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:48 am
Funny, but sad. Speaking of reading, I read that the median account size for Robinhood accounts was roughly $240. However, what was more frightening is that many of these investors are starting to obtain their investing advice from tiktok and other social media sites. The financial dumbing down of a new generation of American investors, coming via a video.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
queso

Post by queso »

Da5id wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:41 pm
Bryzzo2016 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:30 pm

My kids are avid gamers, early 20s. They buy most content directly from Playstation. They buy hardware online, but would need a reason to pick Gamestop over Amazon, or over "random cheapest seller". They haven't been inside a Gamestop store in maybe 8-10 years, so the name/brand has no hold on them. Video game industry being big doesn't mean Gamestop has a place in it. Mind you, what the price is/should be is (to me) unknowable. But building castles in the air I suppose is part of investing....
This. My memories are of selling them all my old games for pennies on the dollar and buying their used titles for way more than what they offered me for my used titles. I'm not sure where they are going to position themselves to compete that is going to be successful (Xbox live? Steam? Amazon?). I would think their only assets are their name recognition/mind share and their established brick and mortar locations, but as you point out most people are buying games online and downloading or ordering from Amazon (not sure competing with them on price is a good long term strategy). I think I read somewhere about them thinking about expanding into the comic/action figure type of market with their physical stores, but I might be wrong about that. Either way, I don't think it will be an easy marketplace to be successful in. I guess you can say I really don't like the stock. :happy
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

queso wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:24 pmI'm not sure where they are going to position themselves to compete that is going to be successful (Xbox live? Steam? Amazon?).
A merger with Steam? 1:1 or 1:2? If latter, which ones is worth twice as much? Don't think Microsoft or Amazon wants to spend what it will take to pick GME.

Saw an estimate that Steam is worth about $10B vs GME $3B ($50/share) to $20B ($250/share).
queso

Post by queso »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:37 pm
queso wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:24 pmI'm not sure where they are going to position themselves to compete that is going to be successful (Xbox live? Steam? Amazon?).
A merger with Steam? 1:1 or 1:2? If latter, which ones is worth twice as much? Don't think Microsoft or Amazon wants to spend what it will take to pick GME.

Saw an estimate that Steam is worth about $10B vs GME $3B ($50/share) to $20B ($250/share).
It'll be interesting for sure..
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

You understand that no one is serious in this thread, right?
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
birdog

Post by birdog »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:54 pm
I am. Deadly serious. (Sometimes) Read a few posts above and you'll see. Some people believe in GME as a company.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

birdog wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:57 pm
I am. Deadly serious. (Sometimes) Read a few posts above and you'll see. Some people believe in GME as a company.
Some people? Do you believe in GME as a company?

And if you're serious, deadly serious even, you should pay more attention to who is posting what in this thread. Because, if you are serious, deadly serious, you should be able to recognize who is NOT serious, and avoid asking them serious questions.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:44 pm And if you're serious, deadly serious even, you should pay more attention to who is posting what in this thread. Because, if you are serious, deadly serious, you should be able to recognize who is NOT serious, and avoid asking them serious questions.
I think, without reading back and forth, it can be hard to tell who (if anyone) is serious vs who is amusing themselves/pot stirring. And many don't read the whole thread (this one is long) to find such context. Lack of tone on internet makes it hard without <sarcasm/> tags.
Last edited by Da5id on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
birdog

Post by birdog »

HomerJ wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:44 pm

And if you're serious, deadly serious even, you should pay more attention to who is posting what in this thread. Because, if you are serious, deadly serious, you should be able to recognize who is NOT serious, and avoid asking them serious questions.
LOL. I guess you're a victim of your own accusation.

I am a two-fund indexer and believe that GME is trading way north of it's fundamantals. Sometimes it's hard in written form to catch sarcasm. I see JohnnyDVM post funny things a lot but I wasn't sure concerning his high price target of GME. His post was fairly strong so I wasn't 100% sure. That's why I asked. His response of reading it on the internet made me realize he had been joking, so I replied to him joking. All good. Then you decide to post that no one here is serious, which is not true. So I reply with another joke, that I am deadly serious, which you mis-interpreted as me actually being serious (much like I mis-interpreted JohnnyDVM above). So you didn't recognize my joke either and you asked me a serious question after you scolded me for asking serious questions to those who joke. Now c'mon, that's funny!

Anyway, sorry if I offended you when you didn't get my joke. But why come after me for not getting someone else's joke?
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

birdog wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:12 pm

I am a two-fund indexer and believe that GME is trading way north of it's fundamantals. Sometimes it's hard in written form to catch sarcasm. I see JohnnyDVM post funny things a lot but I wasn't sure concerning his high price target of GME. His post was fairly strong so I wasn't 100% sure. That's why I asked. His response of reading it on the internet made me realize he had been joking, so I replied to him joking. All good. Then you decide to post that no one here is serious, which is not true. So I reply with another joke, that I am deadly serious, which you mis-interpreted as me actually being serious (much like I mis-interpreted JohnnyDVM above). So you didn't recognize my joke either and you asked me a serious question after you scolded me for asking serious questions to those who joke. Now c'mon, that's funny!

Anyway, sorry if I offended you when you didn't get my joke. But why come after me for not getting someone else's joke?
Lack of proper emoji use is the main issue I see here
VtsaxParade

Post by VtsaxParade »

Gme short term price action is based on options related supply/demand function issues.

Being long on Gme based on future outlook is something entirely different.

This idea that a stock's price must reflect either current or future outlook is ignoring extremely important issues that are observable: namely, that the float is basically gone, volatility is through the roof, and millions more shares worth of options (puts and calls, 5+m worth in the last 24 hours alone) are piling in daily. I know it's hard to put aside fundamentals but gme could sell chewing gum out of wheel carts right now and the price would still make sense. Because it doesn't have to do with the business but rather with the potential price pressure that tens of millions of automated buys will put on price when there simply aren't enough shares available to even be sold into that avalanch.

For better or for worse, the bet isn't on gme, it's a bet on a squeeze. And seeing how we've seen it squeeze abruptly 3x now atleast (Jan 27th, Feb 24, Mar 10), it's not a bad bet at all.

Betting isn't investing though. I invest in vtsax. I'm gambling on gme.

My specific/current gamble is that I find it very rational that big money players have set this up to rise to 300 by close tomorrow. The call options chain and triggering of SSR yesterday and again this morning makes it seem like a repeat of events leading into Friday, January 29th. On January 29th there was an observable run up to 325.00 putting a large batch of calls ITM. Currently there are about 15,000 calls sitting between current price and 300 ready to print if this thing hits tomorrow. The following Friday, 3/19 is setup to be incredible and we'll see if they pull off the ultimate gamma press. I don't think they want it to blast off early, though, so they'll need to find some way to contain it at 300. The price drop yesterday accomplishes that actually, by setting the gamma feedback loop to start at 345 again. It's just all way to coincidental for me. But we will see how tomorrow goes.
Last edited by VtsaxParade on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The discussion is getting contentious.

Please state your concerns in a civil, factual, manner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
langlands

Post by langlands »

VtsaxParade wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:29 pm Gme short term price action is based on options related supply/demand function issues.

This idea that a stock's price must reflect either current or future outlook is ignoring extremely important issues that are observable: namely, that the float is basically gone, volatility is through the roof, and millions more shares worth of options (puts and calls, 5+m worth in the last 24 hours alone) are piling in daily. I know it's hard to put aside fundamentals but gme could sell chewing gum out of wheel carts right now and the price would still make sense. Because it doesn't have to do with the business but rather with the potential price pressure that tens of millions of automated buys will put on price when there simply aren't enough shares available to even be sold into that avalanch.

For better or for worse, the bet isn't on gme, it's a bet on a squeeze. And seeing how we've seen it squeeze abruptly 3x now atleast (Jan 27th, Feb 24, Mar 10), it's not a bad bet at all.

My specific/current gamble is that I find it very rational that big money players have set this up to rise to 300 by close tomorrow. The call options chain and triggering of SSR yesterday and again this morning makes it seem like a repeat of events leading into Friday, January 29th. On January 29th there was an observable run up to 325.00 putting a large batch of calls ITM. Currently there are about 15,000 calls sitting between current price and 300 ready to print if this thing hits tomorrow. The following Friday, 3/19 is setup to be incredible and we'll see if they pull off the ultimate gamma press. I don't think they want it to blast off early, though, so they'll need to find some way to contain it at 300. The price drop yesterday accomplishes that actually, by setting the gamma feedback loop to start at 345 again. It's just all way to coincidental for me. But we will see how tomorrow goes.
It sounds like you bought back in today? I thought you said you were out yesterday.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Random Musings wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:44 pm
Funny, but sad. Speaking of reading, I read that the median account size for Robinhood accounts was roughly $240. However, what was more frightening is that many of these investors are starting to obtain their investing advice from tiktok and other social media sites. The financial dumbing down of a new generation of American investors, coming via a video.

RM
People on the whole don't change. What does seem different is setting them loose on options.
VtsaxParade

Post by VtsaxParade »

langlands wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:30 pm
VtsaxParade wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:29 pm Gme short term price action is based on options related supply/demand function issues.

It sounds like you bought back in today? I thought you said you were out yesterday.
I bought that early dip with some profits. Hope it hits tomorrow!
langlands

Post by langlands »

VtsaxParade wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:42 pm
langlands wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:30 pm

I bought that early dip with some profits. Hope it hits tomorrow!
Good luck! I bought 1 share today at around 275 (bad timing it seems) to bring my total to 3.
VtsaxParade

Post by VtsaxParade »

It was runnin hard just after the dip, I don't blame you!

My bet was essentially that somebody would early trigger ssr today and set a limit buy at that target. I got lucky it seems.

Now the question is who took all the effort to trigger ssr for 3/12, or more importantly, what's their strike?

300, 325, 350 have great strike volume tomorrow so let's hope big money runs it tomorrow with ssr active.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

UnLearnYourself wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:05 pm
birdog wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:12 pm

Lack of proper emoji use is the main issue I see here
Geez Louise! You guys gotta work on your fundamental humor valuation before I take out a massive short position on it.

And yes, of course I was kidding. Who the heck would think a company like GameStop is actually worth billions upon billions of dollars? ??? A few randoms on Wall Street bets but no one who would regularly post here that’s for sure. I’ve been intentionally laying off the emojis along with the terms “paper hands, diamond hands, and apes” to avoid getting in trouble with the mods but somehow it looks like my facetious comment managed to trigger them coming in anyway. Crying emoji face.

This is a game to me. I involve myself in this stock for pure entertainment. If it goes to zero premarket while I’m asleep tomorrow I will shrug and move on. In contrast, if it goes to $1000 I will sell for a nice profit and post that I told all of you $1000 was fair value the whole time. So don’t be mad bro. Just enjoy the entertainment and giggle along at the absurdity.
as9

Post by as9 »

My wife is mad at me for not selling our two whole shares at $345. Now I really need this to squeeze.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

as9 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:45 pm My wife is mad at me for not selling our two whole shares at $345. Now I really need this to squeeze.
Seriously. What were you thinking ? All you had to do was sell at the absolute top yesterday and then instantly rebuy at the day low. You messed up bad.
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

When Beeple's JPG with blockchain embedded sells for $69 million bucks I think reasonable people can agree that anything can be worth any amount of money if enough people with money go along with it.

That said, the thing about GME that stands out to me is that the Wall Street "investors" who end up with hundreds of millions have been playing these kinds of games for years, manipulating prices with all the techniwues we are now seeng being used which went unnoticed because very few people know enough to understand what they are doing. Now, suddenly, some outsiders have figured enough out to ruin their very profitable, quiet operation by shining a bright light on it.

Unfortunately, since it is obvious that our congressweasels don't begin to understand what a gamma squeeze is, or any of the other manipulations Wall Street insidets employ, they will simply make it impossible for ordinary people to buy options and allow only the well connected (a.k.a. campaign donors) to continue turning $50,000 into $40M.

Bogleheads are so naive about the market, with touching beliefs that it helps fund companies, and that shorts are just helping with price discovery, so executives can offer everyone jobs and ensure good little worker bees have modest funds for retirement.

You really have to ask yourself how true that can be when youngish, connected insiders can make so much money that they can throw away $69M on a JPG.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

Scooter57 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:02 pm Bogleheads are so naive about the market, with touching beliefs that it helps fund companies, and that shorts are just helping with price discovery, so executives can offer everyone jobs and ensure good little worker bees have modest funds for retirement.

You really have to ask yourself how true that can be when youngish, connected insiders can make so much money that they can throw away $69M on a JPG.
You really have to ask yourself why you think you know what sort of person bought the jpg, and why you think that person was 'youngish, connected'. Indeed, I suspect it's far more likely that the buyer is a crypto centimillionaire+, who's made a lot in crypto . And given Wall Street/corporate exec's skepticism of crypto (still not completely gone), these investors are far more likely to be outsiders.

I don't think bogleheads are naive, but most don't let political/social beliefs influence investing too much. But yes, I do think shorts help with price discovery, even if they're influenced by self interest. If anything corporate execs and Wall Streeters have a far stronger incentive to be bullish on companies -- 'naive' people are the ones who think that corporate execs always tell the truth about their company prospects who and bought what Wall Street was selling during the dotcom boom. Shorts are like Banquo's ghost at the party.
langlands

Post by langlands »

Scooter57 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:02 pm When Beeple's JPG with blockchain embedded sells for $69 million bucks I think reasonable people can agree that anything can be worth any amount of money if enough people with money go along with it.

That said, the thing about GME that stands out to me is that the Wall Street "investors" who end up with hundreds of millions have been playing these kinds of games for years, manipulating prices with all the techniwues we are now seeng being used which went unnoticed because very few people know enough to understand what they are doing. Now, suddenly, some outsiders have figured enough out to ruin their very profitable, quiet operation by shining a bright light on it.

Unfortunately, since it is obvious that our congressweasels don't begin to understand what a gamma squeeze is, or any of the other manipulations Wall Street insidets employ, they will simply make it impossible for ordinary people to buy options and allow only the well connected (a.k.a. campaign donors) to continue turning $50,000 into $40M.

Bogleheads are so naive about the market, with touching beliefs that it helps fund companies, and that shorts are just helping with price discovery, so executives can offer everyone jobs and ensure good little worker bees have modest funds for retirement.

Wall Street insiders have been employing gamma squeezes for years? That's news to me. I believe you've acknowledged before that you are not familiar with the intricacies of how markets actually work, so maybe you shouldn't confidently make these sorts of proclamations. Who are these "well-connected campaign donors turning $50,000 into $40M"? Are you referring to DFV aka Roaring Kitty the hero of r/wsb?
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

:mrgreen: The buyer was identified, IIRC on Bloomberg, as the same guy who bought the multimillion dollar lunch with Buffet some years ago. Not a blockchain billionaire.

My issue is with the amount of manipulation that is allowed to insiders that academics and the Bogleheads who accept their word as gospel ignore. I have been following another battle ground stock for years (that I havent owned it since 2014 but observe it as a fascinating and educational trainwreck). I have been astonished at the special stock+warrant deals and other treats very wealthy investors are offered, unavailable to shareholders, that dilute shareholders while allowing the insiders to short the stock with impunity, making money no matter what direction it moves but capping the price for retail. The price of Tesla owes a great deal to /wsb style shenanigans too.

It isn't accidental that Bezos, who built a company by selling goods for less than he paid for them for a decade without any ability to earn a dime was able to do that, and incidentalky destroy most other retailers, because he had been a Wall Street guy and knew what you could do by issuing stock with the right hype and insider tricks.

Re Wall Streeters and the gamma squeeze, I mean they have been manipulating prices as they have been trying to do here, for years, quite successfully, until Roaring Kitty and his pals found a weakness they exploited. But by manipulating prices and using options the insiders have made huge bucks until now at the expense of retail.
SlowMovingInvestor

Scooter57 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:41 pm :mrgreen: The buyer was identified, IIRC on Bloomberg, as the same guy who bought the multimillion dollar lunch with Buffet some years ago. Not a blockchain billionaire.
You're wrong about the blockchain part at least, and I was completely correct :happy

https://markets.businessinsider.com/cur ... 1030175330

Crypto whiz kid Justin Sun, acquired a piece of digital art for $69 million on Thursday in a record-breaking Christie's auction.

Sun, the founder of two cryptocurrency companies, Tron and Rainberry (formerly known as BitTorrent),

In fact, I remember Sun saying during the GME saga earlier that he supported the WSBers and was investing in GME too ! Well Connected Insiders making money going long GME!
Scooter57 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:41 pm

It isn't accidental that Bezos, who built a company by selling goods for less than he paid for them for a decade without any ability to earn a dime was able to do that, and incidentalky destroy most other retailers, because he had been a Wall Street guy and knew what you could do by issuing stock with the right hype and insider tricks.
You're wrong about Bezos too. He worked at a quantitative hedge fund, D.E. Shaw. Not a Wall Street Firm in the conventional sense (*). They're like Renaissance Technologies, in that they do a lot of trading using fancy math and arbitrage strategies to make money. In fact, he left NYC to go to Seattle when he founded Amazon. He did NO insider tricks. You may have thought his company was overvalued, but he NEVER promised anything other than what he went on to do -- invest for the long term, build an excellent operations team, pay no attention to profits for the short term.

(*) Some friends of mine worked there for many years. They were NOT wall street types at all, they were computer science/math Phds, not MBAs. They used to wear shorts and t-shirts to work, not suits. They spent time doing fancy math and running simulations, not doing 'insider tricks'. These days quants are very common, but in the early/mid 90s, Renaissance and DE Shaw were probably the only hedge funds doing pure quant stuff.
Last edited by SlowMovingInvestor on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:22 am, edited 6 times in total.
Bryzzo2016

Post by Bryzzo2016 »

Did anyone see Ryan Cohen's latest tweet a few hours ago? Seems bullish.
birdog

Post by birdog »

Bryzzo2016 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:56 pm Did anyone see Ryan Cohen's latest tweet a few hours ago? Seems bullish.
That’s weird. Why would Cohen tweet something bullish regarding GME?
queso

Post by queso »

birdog wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:29 pm
Bryzzo2016 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:56 pm Did anyone see Ryan Cohen's latest tweet a few hours ago? Seems bullish.
That’s weird. Why would Cohen tweet something bullish regarding GME?
lol.. :sharebeer
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

You mean the guy crapping the bowl? Does that mean hedge funds crapping out

I don't see the tweet as bullish more like cryptic..

Atleast papa musk clearly said game stonk..
SlowMovingInvestor

elderwise wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:53 pm

So GME is issuing stock to buy bitcoin :moneybag ?
langlands

Post by langlands »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:05 pm
elderwise wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:53 pm

So GME is issuing stock to buy bitcoin :moneybag ?
Holy, you've cracked the code (key)!
moviegeek

Post by moviegeek »

Lots of opinions and personal anecdotes in this thread. Here is some information for the curious minds who read:

GME due diligence:
https://gmedd.com/

George Calhoun from Forbes might have the most current and articulate overview up to last week:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgecalh ... 1cf1734225

George Calhoun's first article:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgecalh ... f229125d0b

Or if you don't mind reading Twitter, user Rock God has a decent overview of the highlights of the in-progress event:
https://twitter.com/TheHoustonWade/stat ... 3279867909

Roaring Kitty, the man, the myth, the legend:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0patp ... Uap0bTX3JQ

[Link to Wallstreet Bets page containing offensive language removed by moderator oldcomputerguy]

TLDR
Moon price: What happens when hedgies fight other hedgies and apes tag along their vapor trail
Bull price: $169
Base price: $80
Bear price: $40

I have been an index investor most of my life. This is something different worth watching even if you are not a participant. The phrases "gamma swarm" and "gamma squeeze" are worth understanding.

This is my 12th post in 10 years. Apes together strong.
VtsaxParade

Post by VtsaxParade »

Sold a bit into that big peak. Rolled some shares into next week. +100% price change on the week.

10.9m shares worth of calls expired otm this week - ouch!!! But 3.3m worth landed ITM. Shorts took a beating - 16.9m shares worth otm. (After hours might change these numbers slightly). I should invest in the options houses lol!!

Options for next week, 3/19
Calls: 5.9m itm, 8.7 otm
Puts: 0.9m itm, 42.4m otm (!!!)

Next week will be interesting!
Bryzzo2016

Post by Bryzzo2016 »

VtsaxParade wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:13 pm Sold a bit into that big peak. Rolled some shares into next week. +100% price change on the week.

10.9m shares worth of calls expired otm this week - ouch!!! But 3.3m worth landed ITM. Shorts took a beating - 16.9m shares worth otm. (After hours might change these numbers slightly). I should invest in the options houses lol!!

Wow, nice! I'm holding only 1/3 of shares compared to January's run, so I'm just going to hodl. It's funny being disappointed with a 100% price increase on the week.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Bryzzo2016 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:32 pm
VtsaxParade wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:13 pm Sold a bit into that big peak. Rolled some shares into next week. +100% price change on the week.

Wow, nice! I'm holding only 1/3 of shares compared to January's run, so I'm just going to hodl. It's funny being disappointed with a 100% price increase on the week.
I’m kinda disappointed. I was promised a gamma squeeze. These flat days are boring!
SlowMovingInvestor

JonnyDVM wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:12 pm
I’m kinda disappointed. I was promised a gamma squeeze. These flat days are boring!
I was promised an Earth shattering Kaboom !
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:22 pm
JonnyDVM wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:12 pm
I was promised an Earth shattering Kaboom !
There’s still next week Marvin. The actual prophecy in the longest rambling Reddit post ever was for 3/19. Something something GameStop to infinity, something something end of days.....
Aaand...it'sgone

Post by Aaand...it'sgone »

JonnyDVM wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:46 pm
There’s still next week Marvin. The actual prophecy in the longest rambling Reddit post ever was for 3/19. Something something GameStop to infinity, something something end of days.....
It will happen when the hour of the quadruple witching is upon us... oh and one more thing, we must find the jade monkey before next full moon.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Aaand...it'sgone wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:50 pm
It will happen when the hour of the quadruple witching is upon us... oh and one more thing, we must find the jade monkey before next full moon.
The gamma squeeze was in my glove compartment the whole time! You know we’re getting antsy when we start breaking out obscure Simpson’s quotes.
Aaand...it'sgone

Post by Aaand...it'sgone »

JonnyDVM wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:07 pm
Aaand...it'sgone wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:50 pm
The gamma squeeze was in my glove compartment the whole time! You know we’re getting antsy when we start breaking out obscure Simpson’s quotes.
Gotta find some way to pass the time through these boring weekends when the market is closed.

The WSB smooth brains are starting to get their stimuli and Keith Gill is tweeting screenshots from Interstellar. I guess we'll find out just how much impact retail has next week.
TheDoctor91

Post by TheDoctor91 »

There’s no way Steam is worth only 10B. It’s one of the most profitable companies per employee in the world.
SlowMovingInvestor

TheDoctor91 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:09 pm

There’s no way Steam is worth only 10B. It’s one of the most profitable companies per employee in the world.
I'm not a gamer at all, but if Roblox has a market cap of $40B, then Steam should be worth more than that.
TheDoctor91

Post by TheDoctor91 »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:20 pm
TheDoctor91 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:09 pm

I'm not a gamer at all, but if Roblox has a market cap of $40B, then Steam should be worth more than that.
For sure. They’re essentially a dirty middleman siphoning a percentage off each sale. For all the drama that AAPL and GOOGL faced over their app stores, I’m surprised Steam doesn’t face the same.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

JonnyDVM wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:12 pmI’m kinda disappointed. I was promised a gamma squeeze. These flat days are boring!
I find it just the opposite; it's quite exciting to see it build up slower than last time and sustain this level for so long. The event in January only lasted a week and was over. This one went over 100 around February 24/25 and could head to 800, 10000, or higher before it goes below 100 again, if ever. What are the odds that on or by March 25 that it's over 800? under 100? Or somewhere in-between? If I was betting (not that I am), I'd bet on the under 100.
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:20 pm
TheDoctor91 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:09 pmThere’s no way Steam is worth only 10B. It’s one of the most profitable companies per employee in the world.
You could be right, but that was an older, yet higher figure that was listed first in the Google search. Some other more recent estimates were actually lower. But you really have to ask the folks at reddit/wsb since they're the ones setting the prices these days.
Valve was valued at $10 billion as of March 14, 2019, based on discussions with Michael Pachter, a Los Angeles-based analyst at Wedbush Securities. This value has been adjusted for the performance of the Russell 1000 Electronic Entertainment Index since then.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Valve+C ... +now+worth
As of March 2021, the estimated net worth of Valve is around $4 billion.
https://www.wealthypersons.com/valve-ne ... 2020-2021/
Net Worth in 2021: $8 Billion
https://www.thewealthrecord.com/celebs- ... net-worth/

FWIW, found a short thread over "there" "Posted byu/mauriwatta 1 month ago GameStop Buying Valve?" tossing around a few ideas and wild valuations. And I noticed RoaringKitty account update Mar 8 was over $40M (GME 194.50) [was nearly $48M when GME was 347.51]. With GME up 35% since last week, and if no holdings were sold, the account value should be around $55M. Just crazy, and he's probably working book and movie rights deals.
cogito

Post by cogito »

TheDoctor91 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:22 pm

For sure. They’re essentially a dirty middleman siphoning a percentage off each sale. For all the drama that AAPL and GOOGL faced over their app stores, I’m surprised Steam doesn’t face the same.
They do. Steam in on borrowed time. They are a car dealership in a Tesla world. Most of the publishers like EA, MSFT, and Ubisoft, have already built their own subscription services, to great success. That's not to mention GOOGL and AAPL and their cloud endeavors. Don't forget Unreal/Tencent.

On topic - GME is in even a worse position. They aren't even a Steam, they are trying to pivot to be a Steam in a world where Steam is going bye-bye.

Lets all be honest here, the circus we're watching is the technical mechanics of options and short interest and social media. The GME fundamental case is a supporting character in this movie, not the protagonist. I am a developer in the video game industry, I know very well what the growth in net bookings and digital revenues looks like from the Playstation store. Lets not pretend that anybody really, truly thinks Gamestop is the next Chewy.com.