[GameStop GME trading mega-thread]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
fwellimort

Re: [GameStop GME trading mega-thread]

Post by fwellimort »

I think some institution must have gotten margin called.

Look at GME BB AMC CLOV WKHS KOSS stocks.
They all shot up and crashed at the same time.

And then I looked at AMC for instance:
https://iborrowdesk.com/report/amc
At the same time, 3.2 million short shares got covered. And fee for borrowing AMC went down.
And not only that:
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/s ... ote_switch
At the very same time, there was a spike of a bunch of 1 million AMC purchases + a 4 million AMC share purchase.

Everything points to a margin call. And before someone replies back "that was too small to be a margin call", let me just state that this level of margin call is probably in the magnitude of billions. That's quite a lot of money for an instant cover. Plus, the data actually points to shorts covering so there's that too.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Its either a coincidence or $350 is a significant number. GME has been near or over $350 multiple times, but has yet to close above it and has been aggressively pushed down in both March and now June once it got around that number.

Q1 Earnings and shareholder meeting tomorrow... How exciting
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Closed at exactly $300.00. And not for the first time. Fascinating.

I know you can always find pattern if you really look for one, even when it's not there. Still it looks pretty interesting how GME closed at nice round numbers for 3 trading days in a row in the past:

Jan 29, 2021 - 325.00
Feb 01, 2021 - 225.00
Feb 02, 2021 - 90.00
Aaand...it'sgone

Post by Aaand...it'sgone »

elderwise wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:39 am
bugleheadd wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:37 am so the MOASS hasnt squozen yet? this is just the beginning?
Damn right 336 gme I don't know what's driving it to stratosphere but all memes are shooting for the 7th Heaven.

Meanwhile total markets are taking a break. I noticed my 3x tqqq fngu dip each time these memes shoot all a confidence ofcourse.
So, we set up a hedge fund composed of GME options and TQQQ/FNGU?
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

I'm currently in orbit with CLOV WISH AMC

Any other astronauts?
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Vti & chill.
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

xraygoggles wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:51 pm I'm currently in orbit with CLOV WISH AMC

Any other astronauts?
Rolled my amc gainz into clov at 12 basis 1000 sh let's go.

Well seemingly it's a lottery where we keep winning maybe we did really find the penultimate winfall lottery ✋.

It's getting so crazy my friend joined in too sold his tqqq at gain Rolled into clov.

I also see no harm in doing this with 10 20 30k whatever you feel.comfortable losing all no way yolo 200k lol.. my 401k and other retirement is all 100% index funds all the way.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

xraygoggles wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:51 pm I'm currently in orbit with CLOV WISH AMC

Any other astronauts?
Nope. But considering FOMOing in on WISH
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Gamestop is up over 2000% so far in 2021
LeslieSmiley

Post by LeslieSmiley »

Any other astronauts?
Waving at you through the window of my AMC rocket that was launched at the beginning of this year. The view is quite breathtaking...*diamond hands*
LeslieSmiley

Post by LeslieSmiley »

health teacher wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 am Gamestop is up over 2000% so far in 2021
AMC YTD 2,385%
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

LeslieSmiley wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:51 am
health teacher wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 am Gamestop is up over 2000% so far in 2021
AMC YTD 2,385%
I see 1,100% which is still huge and AMC did drop 10% today though so that could be a factor. I'm happy for anyone who invested in AMC this year though.

GME is 1700% so the math is probably effected by the January volatility. Anyways, it's been some awesome pandemic entertainment. I stopped watching Netflix because of it lol. That's bullish for movie theaters, right?

:wink:
LeslieSmiley

Post by LeslieSmiley »

health teacher wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:49 pm
LeslieSmiley wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:51 am
AMC YTD 2,385%
I see 1,100% which is still huge and AMC did drop 10% today though so that could be a factor. I'm happy for anyone who invested in AMC this year though.

GME is 1700% so the math is probably effected by the January volatility. Anyways, it's been some awesome pandemic entertainment. I stopped watching Netflix because of it lol. That's bullish for movie theaters, right?

:wink:

AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc

49.34 USD
+47.33 (2,354.73%)year to date
Closed: Jun 9, 5:57 PM EDT · Disclaimer
After hours 46.98 −2.36 (4.78%)
NYSE: AMC

Yes, it’s certainly entertaining indeed and i bought them mostly for the same reason and i love movies so there you have it! :wink:
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

GME rocket sputtering. Someone pulled the string today.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

That explains the drop in small-cap index funds today when the rest of the stock index funds are positive. I see that GME is the largest holding in VIOO / SPSM / S&P small 600 and was about 3 times the fraction of the 2nd largest holding, so the more than 20% drop in GME today will still leave it as the largest holding.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

The chatter sure does die down when there's a 20% drop...IN ONE DAY.

The true value (pre price pump) of this stonk is probably around $5 a share. If you bought above this level, you are truly gambling.

VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
parval

Post by parval »

gwe67 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:16 pm The chatter sure does die down when there's a 20% drop...IN ONE DAY.

The true value (pre price pump) of this stonk is probably around $5 a share. If you bought above this level, you are truly gambling.

you gotta stop looking at historical stuff and more at rockets, diamonds, and maybe hands
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

I mean I did post that the 'old shorts' covered last week when AMC took a meteor like rise to $70+. The data is in public.

Then the votes came out and all the theories were shown wrong.
So ya, of course new shorts are going to come and take advantage of this.

Markets are not efficient. People shorting these meme stocks are about to make a lot of money.
Congratulations to them. :sharebeer

And GME is probably worth more than a few dollars now that it has no debt. But still, nowhere near the price it is currently and since there's so much liquidity due to 'paper hands', shorts are going to have a field day.
Weird cause if EMH is 100% true, none of this should be happening. But it seems there's basically "free money" on the table for many of these meme stocks going down.
Weird world we live in.

And somehow, the downward trend isn't "instant" like EMH would claim. It's not in 1 second. It takes a few days if not a few weeks/months from here on.
A slow gradual bleed down. I guess markets at end of day are traded by humans/bots, not all knowing entities. :D
Last edited by fwellimort on Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

gwe67 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:16 pm The chatter sure does die down when there's a 20% drop...IN ONE DAY.

I bet you are wrong.
langlands

Post by langlands »

Certainly the current stock price is a bit rich, but Gamestop raised $550 million in its April stock offering. It plans to offer 5 million more shares, presumably raking in another $500 million to $1 billion. That extra cash alone (essentially a donation from investors) is worth about $10/share.
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

JonnyDVM wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:15 pm GME rocket sputtering. Someone pulled the string today.
Merely a launch failure, my robotic friend.

Apes have been hard at work over the past month, but unfortunately, bananas have run out, and without sufficient sustenance for the trip, cannot resume at this time.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

You guys keep saying $5, and yet I keep flipping GME and buying furniture 🤷‍♂️
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

JonnyDVM wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:45 pm

Report card is in....and down 27.16% today. Were you smart enough to sell yesterday??
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

GME is not going below 150s for the forseeable future, AMC likely not going below 30-40s - something like 80% is owned by retail for both of these stocks.

Best way to play it is to, wait for it, buy low and sell high. I use options, but shares work just as well.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

xraygoggles wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 pm GME is not going below 150s for the forseeable future, AMC likely not going below 30-40s - something like 80% is owned by retail for both of these stocks.

Best way to play it is to, wait for it, buy low and sell high. I use options, but shares work just as well.
I remember people saying the same things about high flying tech stocks in the late 90's, and I'm not talking about the garbage ones like pets.com. Retail owned a large percentage of those stocks too, and they took a very large haircut.

For all the posters who are touting these big wins, I don't see much real time support of these trades. It's like Redditt thought is starting to seep into this board more and more. I look at the last string of posts, about 1,000% plus quick returns, bananas, launches and the like.

I'm starting to question the actionability of this thread.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

gwe67 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:11 pm
JonnyDVM wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:45 pm

Report card is in....and down 27.16% today. Were you smart enough to sell yesterday??
I sold a bit too early this time actually. Last week. Cost myself half a couch.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Just like .com. Trading on volatility. Rinse and repeat every time in swings up and drop. Strategy works well until it doesn't. Who knows when the bubble will burst.

Just don't bet more you can afford to lose. If you are going to max out on your HELOC, make sure you can still afford to pay it in the event it implodes.

Seems like the big winner is George Sherman with a 1.1 million shares parachute.
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

Unlike GameStop, AMC is actually using its meme-ness to its advantage:

"AMC shares were up more than 5% after S&P Global Ratings upgraded the company’s credit rating to CCC+ from CCC-, a two-notch upgrade that still leaves the company’s debt deeply in what is considered junk bond territory.

If AMC uses its recently acquired cash to pay down debt, refinances expensive debt incurred during the pandemic and sees improved theater attendance, it has “a path to a sustainable capital structure,” S&P said."

Too bad it popped again today, I was looking forward to reloading for the launchpad next week... c'est la vie.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

let's face it, if you pay all your debts using "literally free money" then there's no more sustainable "capital structure" than that in the world. This is the same as saying water is wet. These companies have no need of debt the way companies do that actually have a future. I guess AMC can hang on 100 years, but I think hanging on is about all I would hope for. They aren't trying to offer a whole lot more, whilst our electronics and entertainment systems at home are growing by leaps and bounds.

It's pretty hard to go bankrupt when you're not in debt.
This time is the same
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

It seems many of these institutions are losing money still.

Melvin Capital, Light Street Capital, etc. are posting losses last month.
https://www.ft.com/content/ca1090ba-c3a ... e0e01bb510

Mudrick Capital even with over $40 million in profit by dumping AMC (by getting AMC shares directly) + AMC bonds is also negative.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... pId=google

What an interesting time we live in. How come the share price can never break past $350 even back in March.
Why is it when it goes right before $350, GME shares crash in price? Who knows. Wait till next week.

:sharebeer
VtsaxParade

Post by VtsaxParade »

A 20% drop only really took the price back to like 2 weeks ago. I think its actually pretty encouraging, personally. "Their" ability to nuke diminishes each cycle. Back in January they were able to take it from 483->110 and 325->40. In march 345->170. Its at about 230 now. Thats actually incredible.
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

VtsaxParade wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:53 am

A 20% drop only really took the price back to like 2 weeks ago. I think its actually pretty encouraging, personally. "Their" ability to nuke diminishes each cycle. Back in January they were able to take it from 483->110 and 325->40. In march 345->170. Its at about 230 now. Thats actually incredible.
And once the 5M new shares are offered, you can be damn sure the apes will gobble those up like ripe bananas.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

xraygoggles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:44 pm
VtsaxParade wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:53 am

And once the 5M new shares are offered, you can be damn sure the apes will gobble those up like ripe bananas.
Let me know when we’re piling back in. I’ll get my space helmet out of the closet. I’m gonna play this baby to the MOAS, or alternatively, to the mother of all rug pulls (MOARP)

Post by 000 »

What a day.

+27.53%

(I'm in with a very small amount)
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

000 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:33 pm What a day.

+27.53%

(I'm in with a very small amount)
Ah, but are you following the advice of registering your shares with Computer Share so the apes can sniff out the synthetic shares? I am fascinated by this.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

How in the world did that happen? AMC up 20% too.
This time is the same

Post by 000 »

lazynovice wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:22 pm Ah, but are you following the advice of registering your shares with Computer Share so the apes can sniff out the synthetic shares? I am fascinated by this.
No, I hadn't heard about that.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

000 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:43 pm
lazynovice wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:22 pm Ah, but are you following the advice of registering your shares with Computer Share so the apes can sniff out the synthetic shares? I am fascinated by this.
You are lucky

Post by 000 »

lazynovice wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:45 pm
You are lucky
What do you mean by that?
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

000 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:50 pm
lazynovice wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:45 pm
You are lucky
What do you mean by that?
Sorry for the delay. The apes are trying to trigger the MOASS by asking for shares they hold to be registered directly in their names. They believe when they do this, it forces brokerages to find real shares to register and if they are holders of synthetic shares it requires the broker to find and buy real shares. So brokers who have lent out shares will pay ever increasing prices. And of course the hedge funds will have to pay more too. Something like that. You can read about it on Reddit.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

firebirdparts wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:33 pm How in the world did that happen? AMC up 20% too.
Derivatives.

I won't pretend to understand the ins and outs of it all, but there really seems to be a "meme basket" before this all went mainstream in January of 2021. Institutions appear caught in some sort of quarterly cycle.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

firebirdparts wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:33 pm How in the world did that happen? AMC up 20% too.
Insane buying power from retail and institutions buying up Call Options.
Remember, 1 Call Option is a contract for 100 shares. So each time a call option goes ITM, that call option needs to have 100 shares ready (in case the holder decides to exercise).
With so many call options, once one chain goes ITM, the price goes up leading to more call options to go ITM. And that creates a stairway effect for the price to keep rising.

It's one of reasons why AMC price shot up to $72+ in the past within a day.
The sheer demand of the stock drives the price up and theoretically, you can create a situation in which call options have to buy shares but no shares are available at the moment in the market.
At that point, I assume the SEC would step in. Quite something to evidence.

Think of call options as 'forced buyers'. If a stock reaches a certain price X, Y amount of shares are 'forced' to be purchased regardless of price (if the call option doesn't have the shares). Repeat that phenomenon and each call option drives price up which forces higher price call options to also go ITM (in the money).
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Well, I guess I meant "why now after all this time" now "how". But anyway I was just making idle conversation.

While i admit the prices have remained high for * a year * (not joking), it seemed like there was little progress from June 4 until suddenly this week. I guess I should have been asking why GME was still high.

Clearly, the people buying have plenty of buying power. That's very clear.
This time is the same
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

GME down to $177. Any Bogleheads still hodling?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

lazynovice wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:29 pm GME down to $177. Any Bogleheads still hodling?
All the "Total Market" and "Extended Market" index fund hodlers have kept on hodling...
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

lazynovice wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:29 pm GME down to $177. Any Bogleheads still hodling?
Diamond hands :D
DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum »

health teacher wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:01 pm
Diamond hands :D
To the Moon!!! 🚀🚀🚀🚀

Post by 000 »

Still in with a very small holding.
Bryzzo2016

Post by Bryzzo2016 »

What's an exit strategy?
impatientInv

Post by impatientInv »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:49 pm
All the "Total Market" and "Extended Market" index fund hodlers have kept on hodling...
✋🏽💎🤚🏽 The Real diamond hands are Bogleheads.
No individual stocks.

Post by 000 »

Some interesting price action lately. Any hodlers left?