[GameStop GME trading mega-thread]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
JonnyDVM

Re: [GameStop GME trading mega-thread]

Post by JonnyDVM »

Paper hands :shock:
Tucked into a ball and rolled at $244 this morning. Good luck to everyone else still holding. I'm sure I'll be back in soon enough.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

Houston we have a problem, the shorts have closed for this FTD cycle and we need emergency landing. The NFT and Apes have gone wild but the fuel is running out.

We will prepare for take off in T minus 2 months and 15 days...and 14 days....

Eagle has land Ed ing :)
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

JonnyDVM wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:26 pm Paper hands :shock:
Tucked into a ball and rolled at $244 this morning. Good luck to everyone else still holding. I'm sure I'll be back in soon enough.
How many couches did you profit on this round?
VtsaxParade

Post by VtsaxParade »

:mrgreen:
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Gadget wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:57 pm
JonnyDVM wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:26 pm Paper hands :shock:
How many couches did you profit on this round?
Solid question. If we’re talking boglehead approved Costco couches then 1-1.5. Spouse approved designer couch- 0.5. I didn’t have much skin in this go round. I’ll be back for the next rocket trip.
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

Just to check in whose ready for backing up the truck for round #3?

😃
KeepinItPositive

Post by KeepinItPositive »

Anyone read anything good on the SECs take on all this? If one remained silent but bought some of this or other meme stocks first found on wallstreetbets in the hopes it would go up (speculation) does that run afoul of any regs?
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

KeepinItPositive wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:59 am Anyone read anything good on the SECs take on all this? If one remained silent but bought some of this or other meme stocks first found on wallstreetbets in the hopes it would go up (speculation) does that run afoul of any regs?
Nothing illegal or sketchy about speculating. There isn’t anything illegal about posting on an Internet forum like WSB that you are going to hold until a certain price or encouraging others to do the same. Posting theories about how much short exposure may be remaining is not illegal and no reasonable person should be investing based on the theories of a Reddit poster.

Those who hold licenses are held to higher standards of course as reasonable people might feel like they could rely on the advice of a professional.

There are unsophisticated people who have made a lot and lost a lot of money though.
Turnol

Post by Turnol »

AMC sold 8.5 million shares to Mudrick Capital and raised $230.5 million. The cash is to be used primarily for acquisition purposes.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

KeepinItPositive wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:59 am Anyone read anything good on the SECs take on all this? If one remained silent but bought some of this or other meme stocks first found on wallstreetbets in the hopes it would go up (speculation) does that run afoul of any regs?
To directly answer your question on any good sec readings, no.

I bet the SECs take is similar to if you were at a cookout over the weekend and you were talking about stocks with people and decided to buy stock today.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:30 pm The whole device/cloud gaming market -- including the giants like Google, MSFT, AMZN, Apple and the likes of Epic and Steam is an interesting topic, though.
The changing tech is what I'm most interested in, and it's what makes me so bewildered about GME. I'm very interested in what comes of the Epic-Apple lawsuit, because it could have really wide ramifications for how online marketplaces function in the years to come. Cloud gaming seems to be where the industry is headed, but there are lots of technical hurdles to overcome. The laws of physics ensure there will always be a latency issue between servers and the local device, there's also the social question of how much that latency matters to the consumer. If there are enough 'casual' gamers who don't care about latency, is that enough to overcome the resistance of the hard core gamers who insist on a local device? Predictive AI/machine learning could theoretically fix or mitigate many of those issues, but there's a long way to go; two-way interactivity (or more, for multiplayer games) is way, way more complex than compressing video in a single direction. The two companies with the biggest advantage in AI - Google and Nvidia - also seem to be the least interested in cloud gaming. Throw in the covid-related supply chain issues, and you've got a really complex situation that can end in an infinite number of ways.

What does all this have to do with GME's price? I haven't the slightest idea. I suspect the short sellers see all the same things I do and are bearish as a result, but as we've seen, those long-term issues have almost nothing to do with the price in the short run. It's entirely possible that ten years from now, people will be saying the responsible thing to do would have been for Gamestop to close up shop, sell assets, and distribute the proceeds to shareholders, except the hedge funds ran up the prices to trade on short-term volatility and left investors holding the bag.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

The market cap of GME is around $18 billion. The question that comes to mind is whether I would pay that much today for their FCF stream?

No.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

Looks like the GME rocket re-fueled over the 3-day weekend and is ready for lift-off, once again.
Simplicity is the key to brilliance - Vti & chill.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Pinotage wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:54 pm In my head, I read all of your posts in a Bender voice. It’s really the best.
Shut up baby, he knows it!
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

HomerJ wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:08 pm
Pinotage wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:54 pm In my head, I read all of your posts in a Bender voice. It’s really the best.
Shut up baby, he knows it!
I miss that show.

In other news. Looks like I rolled off the rocket too soon this time. If this is the MOAS infinity squeeze I’ll never forgive myself for only making a paltry couple thousand dollars this go round.
hnd

Post by hnd »

i bought the first go around and made a decent chunk of money. after it all settled out, i was talking to a guy at work and was like its sitting at $40 and its been sitting there for a while. i feel like we should buy some and see what happens. we didn't. jumped to 250 within a few days. we were both like crap. 2 weeks ago i was like it had been hovering around 150 i wonder if its going to make another run....we should buy. we didn't.

we have determined we hate money.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Put toe in at the $120's because the call premiums were so huge that it sort of gave me some courage. The buy-writes worked, though it nearly out-ran me a couple of times.
Trying to decide if I should just sell Jul 400 calls for a pile of premium and some near puts for protection, and just don't look. If it runs to $500, who cares. :moneybag
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

The AMC and BB rocketships have overtaken the GME one, for the time being.
amindu

Post by amindu »

Having put some play money into GME at what price point are people selling their positions, and when is the gamma squeeze supposed to hit based on the charts.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Well that was an interesting 5 minutes.
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

I'm up 9x on my AMC out-the-money call options I bought yesterday. I sold them after the halt for 8x gain.

Apes strong together, but this ape has hands of paper.
scarson

Post by scarson »

Is there a thread on Redditt to track upcoming or most discussed stocks like GME, AMC? Would like to play with 2% of portfolio value.
queso

Post by queso »

scarson wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:07 pm Is there a thread on Redditt to track upcoming or most discussed stocks like GME, AMC? Would like to play with 2% of portfolio value.
twitter.. :D
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

scarson wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:07 pm Is there a thread on Redditt to track upcoming or most discussed stocks like GME, AMC? Would like to play with 2% of portfolio value.
There are pretty much subreddits for anything investing related, but I think you're asking for social media sentiment analysis and that's going to be an analytics thing.

Apparently, it used to be wallstreetbets in 2020, but GME may have forever changed it. I don't really know how the subreddits are going to shake out after the GME phenomenon.

As for GME and AMC, it started on wallstreetbets subreddit, then it kinda diverged into other subreddits like gme, amcstock, and superstonk to name a few. It's important to read everything with a grain of salt because there is good information and bad information. I tend to use the daily chats in different subreddits for breaking news or simply entertainment. I read through the due diligence posts sometimes and I also google certain keywords to see what is being search engine optimized and how it's written and actually correlated to the action.

It's certainly been quite the learning experience.
gougou

Post by gougou »

I wonder if CXW or GEO have potential to get squeezed. Both have high short interests and CXW is actually sound on fundamentals if you are somewhat bullish on prison REITs.
The sillier the market’s behavior, the greater the opportunity for the business like investor.
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

I just browse wsb top posts and daily discussion thread to see what the most chatter is this week.

I have loaded up both yesterday and more today on BB deep OTM calls, already up quite a bit, but hoping for BB rocket to keep orbiting one more day before I dump.

Nokia and MVIS are also being bandied about, as are some other stocks.
flyonnylon

Post by flyonnylon »

Went long BB in Feb for 10k shares at $11, been down for a while. Interesting game playing the meme stocks as an index investor. This is a small portion of my account that I’m hoping 70/30 odds will reduce FIRE age by +/- 2 years. If goes to zero max loss per firecalc would be 6 mo or so.. seems worth playing at the moment.
Turnol

Post by Turnol »

Gamestop's first quarter earnings will be announced on June 9.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Turnol wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:01 pm Gamestop's first quarter earnings will be announced on June 9.
As well as the proxy vote count earlier that morning. The theory is there could be more votes than shares in the float available which would allegedly confirm naked short selling.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

flyonnylon wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:03 pm Went long BB in Feb for 10k shares at $11, been down for a while. Interesting game playing the meme stocks as an index investor. This is a small portion of my account that I’m hoping 70/30 odds will reduce FIRE age by +/- 2 years. If goes to zero max loss per firecalc would be 6 mo or so.. seems worth playing at the moment.
Wow flyon, I was eating dinosaur egg omelets last time I heard blackberry as a play. History doesn't repeat, but it rhymes.
If I see CMGI and AKAM rallying I just have no idea what I'm going to do. :oops:
flyonnylon

Post by flyonnylon »

BBLIAQ is next lol. :sharebeer
investlikebogle

Post by investlikebogle »

xraygoggles wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 am I'm up 9x on my AMC out-the-money call options I bought yesterday. I sold them after the halt for 8x gain.

Paper hands it is.

Last Friday morning I was up 10x on AMC options and didn’t sell. AMC dropped and I was kicking myself for not taking 10x gains.

Today, I sold and still kicking myself for not holding to 30x gains.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

investlikebogle wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:37 pm
xraygoggles wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:46 am I'm up 9x on my AMC out-the-money call options I bought yesterday. I sold them after the halt for 8x gain.

Paper hands it is.

Last Friday morning I was up 10x on AMC options and didn’t sell. AMC dropped and I was kicking myself for not taking 10x gains.

You have an ironic user name :)
investlikebogle

Post by investlikebogle »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Paper hands it is.

Actually I am a boglehead for 99% of my portfolio :)
Investing like bogle does not mean one cannot *speculate* small amounts which they are willing to lose.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

investlikebogle wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:48 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Paper hands it is.

Actually I am a boglehead for 99% of my portfolio :)
Investing like bogle does not mean one cannot *speculate* small amounts which they are willing to lose.
Maybe change your username to "invest99%likebogle" then. I invest like bogle - at 100%. :) I can't imagine Bogle buying AMC.
Turnol

Post by Turnol »

Adam Aron is smart to strike while the iron is hot by preparing a share offering. This is a rare opportunity for AMC.

Edit: AMC successfully sold 11.55 million shares at an average price of approximately $50.80. Bravo, Adam Aron.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Turnol wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:56 am Adam Aron is smart to strike while the iron is hot by preparing a share offering. This is a rare opportunity for AMC.

Edit: AMC successfully sold 11.55 million shares at an average price of approximately $50.80. Bravo, Adam Aron.
So, AMC executives can continue to improve their personal bottom lines in terms of compensation at the expense of purchasers of these new offerings. Like GME. Oh, they'll talk a big game about new growth opportunities with their hoards of cash, but as we know, only a small percentage of stocks at any period really propel market indices to higher levels over time. Most likely, these management teams will under deliver and if by any miracle they do deliver, it's most likely priced in (and then some, not even counting the additional dilution).

History is written by the victors, but there will be more victims in the end. The distribution of individual stock returns will most certainly bring this to fruition.

But for now, let the good times roll.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
xraygoggles

Post by xraygoggles »

Paper hands it is.

Paper hands feels really good, despite the future gains I missed out on. I literally won a mini-lottery overnight, why wouldn't I cash out?

Having said that, I did buy more OTM options today during the dip, I may paper hand v2.0 tomorrow AM....
langlands

Post by langlands »

xraygoggles wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:43 pm
I just browse wsb top posts and daily discussion thread to see what the most chatter is this week.

I have loaded up both yesterday and more today on BB deep OTM calls, already up quite a bit, but hoping for BB rocket to keep orbiting one more day before I dump.

Nokia and MVIS are also being bandied about, as are some other stocks.
Just bought some BB after hours today. Market cap still under 10B, hasn't run up as much as GME or AMC, and there is a ton of stock compensation for the CEO attached to share performance.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

"The Journal", which is a podcast produced by the Wall Street Journal, has a special five-part series on the GameStop phenomenon. The first two episodes dropped last Sunday 5/30/21, and future episodes are expected to drop on the next four Sundays.

A link to the first episode is below. I think that it's a worthwhile listen.

The Journal. - To The Moon, Part 1: 'How Much Do Islands Cost?':
https://chtbl.com/track/1F1B1F/traffic. ... 1622368202
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

Is CLOV the next bet of redditors? it seems to have been up 32% today and 10% AH....
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

Stinky wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:29 am "The Journal", which is a podcast produced by the Wall Street Journal, has a special five-part series on the GameStop phenomenon. The first two episodes dropped last Sunday 5/30/21, and future episodes are expected to drop on the next four Sundays.

The latest episode 3 Is half about Jack Bogle and index funds!!!
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

Doc7 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:34 am
Stinky wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:29 am "The Journal", which is a podcast produced by the Wall Street Journal, has a special five-part series on the GameStop phenomenon. The first two episodes dropped last Sunday 5/30/21, and future episodes are expected to drop on the next four Sundays.

The latest episode 3 Is half about Jack Bogle and index funds!!!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... da991a6b65
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

elderwise wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:59 pm Is CLOV the next bet of redditors? it seems to have been up 32% today and 10% AH....
Oh yes. I have no idea what kind of life the manipulation has on CLOV. Today might be the last day or just the 2nd day.
This time is the same
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

firebirdparts wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:13 am
elderwise wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:59 pm Is CLOV the next bet of redditors? it seems to have been up 32% today and 10% AH....
Oh yes. I have no idea what kind of life the manipulation has on CLOV. Today might be the last day or just the 2nd day.
knowing and having made $$$ in meme stonks lately, what I have noticed is never paperhands and even if you dont / cannot you buy *more* during the dip - you should NOT sell early

I got 1000 sh of AMC at 30 paper hand sold at for measly 4-5K gain and it ripped to 70$ ...
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

if that's your attitude, I will just mention that I noticed that RKT calls are saturated again. They don't talk about it much on Wall street Bets and I don't know who plans this stuff. I only know that people are offering actual money for $50 RKT calls expiring June 18. So somebody expects something.
This time is the same
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

106% up for the day clov all on calls volume or is this next gme type squeeze ?
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

so the MOASS hasnt squozen yet? this is just the beginning?
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

bugleheadd wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:37 am so the MOASS hasnt squozen yet? this is just the beginning?
Damn right 336 gme I don't know what's driving it to stratosphere but all memes are shooting for the 7th Heaven.

Meanwhile total markets are taking a break. I noticed my 3x tqqq fngu dip each time these memes shoot all a confidence ofcourse.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

bugleheadd wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:37 am so the MOASS hasnt squozen yet? this is just the beginning?
GME volume today is under 8 million so far. In January, I think volume was over 150 million. From what I read, people believe when the real squeeze happens, the volume will be very high for several days. This is not advice.

To me, it seems like the big whales who are short are trying to minimize losses and are also going to swallow the smaller shorts who may get liquidated in the nearish future.

From my experience watching the price, it will be extremely volatile during surges.
Last edited by health teacher on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.