What meaningful activities are you doing in retirement today with your free time?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
KneeReplacementTutor

Re: What meaningful activities are you doing in retirement today with your free time?

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

I'm helping people who are considering a knee replacement understand the important differences between artificial knee joints as well as helping people who already have a knee replacement get the information they might need on the artificial knee replacement in their body. I find it to be a meaningful use of my time given my past work experience in the artificial knee industry.
lws

Re: What meaningful activities are you doing in retirement today with your free time?

Post by lws »

Helping to run a STEM program for kids.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

xxd091 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:16 am Reply to Boglehead blogs trying to help others
Especially as I am now 74- many years retired and have some experience that might be useful to younger investors
While still learning myself!
xxd091
74 years of living to share.
Please post more often.
We have much to gain from you.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

kiwi123 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:30 pm In the last 4 years, my "aspirational" list that i havent got around to yet (i) hunting and fishing, (ii) part-time ski instructing in South America, (iii) doing more multi-day classic backpacking trips.

My list that i have done includes (i) annual 2+ month extended living in different areas of interest both in the US and overseas, (ii) permanent relocation (iii) an excessive amount of skiing and mtn biking, (iv) slowly dealing with some injuries and rehab, (v) overcoming issues/fears with financial planning, (vi) starting my own company.
Out of curiosity, what kind of company did you start? Was it capital intensive? How did you get into it?
jcar

Post by jcar »

I had that same fear some 3 yearsgo when I retired. I became active with the Salvation Army and am now on the board of directors serving as treasurer. Also am writing a column (and being paid) for an on line health site focusing on exercises to support seniors cognitive abilities. I swim several days per week. You make an astute observation about TV. I made a commitment to myself to never watch more than two hours per day of TV during the week and have stuck by it. I read, do yard work as well as travel with wife though that is somewhat curtailed due to you know what. I find retirement quite fullfilling.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Ependytis wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:37 pm My definition of meaningful would be to do something bigger than yourself for example teaching, volunteering, and or leaving a legacy.
DW and I were both professors at a small teaching-oriented college. She continued to teach there after retiring, one or two courses per semester, to help keep one of her department's degree programs alive. She stopped doing it last fall semester (maybe only temporarily, maybe permanently) because of the pandemic. My main activity along those lines has been participating in an online forum covering the areas that I taught, helping students and others trying to learn things.

During the past year, about 1/4 of our non-income-tax expenses were contributions to charitable and political causes.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

TallBoy29er wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:22 pm
kiwi123 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:30 pm In the last 4 years, my "aspirational" list that i havent got around to yet (i) hunting and fishing, (ii) part-time ski instructing in South America, (iii) doing more multi-day classic backpacking trips.

My list that i have done includes (i) annual 2+ month extended living in different areas of interest both in the US and overseas, (ii) permanent relocation (iii) an excessive amount of skiing and mtn biking, (iv) slowly dealing with some injuries and rehab, (v) overcoming issues/fears with financial planning, (vi) starting my own company.
Out of curiosity, what kind of company did you start? Was it capital intensive? How did you get into it?
Direct-to-consumer internet business, somewhat related to my prior 15 years work experience... and learnt first-hand that some of these stats are very true, although you never think it will apply to you :-)
90% of new startups fail.
75% of venture-backed startups fail.
Under 50% of businesses make it to their fifth year.
33% of startups make it to the 10-year mark.
Only 40% of startups actually turn a profit.
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

Baking bread.
Python programming.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

KneePartsPro wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:36 pm I'm helping people who are considering a knee replacement understand the important differences between artificial knee joints as well as helping people who already have a knee replacement get the information they might need on the artificial knee replacement in their body. I find it to be a meaningful use of my time given my past work experience in the artificial knee industry.
Username checks out :D

Thank you for this post. This is interesting to me, as I have also considered activities related to my current work after I retire. An opportunity to use accumulated experience and skills in a scaled down version.
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

Old Guy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:47 pm Why do I have to do anything meaningful? I spent 40 years doing meaningful stuff. Don’t need to do it anymore.
Good point. Some people don’t do meaningful things before retirement. At least you did that.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I think if you're starting a company you're not retired just changed jobs.
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Pre-covid, I canvassed for the 2018 midterms, did taxes for low income households through an IRS program, and taught financial literary to at risk high school students. I exercise regularly, something I hadn't done since I was pregnant with my first child 18 years ago. My parents became unable to care for themselves a few months after I retired, so I manage their finances, medical appointments, and insurance from afar, which is a thankless, time-consuming job. It took 7 bank visits starting in October to this week to get POA control of their checking account so someone would talk to me on the phone when I called about an issue. If anyone asks you to be POA, just say no.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Retirement has been more like a change in direction for me. I've been a multi-tasker most of my adult life.

I founded and ran a graphic arts company in the Philadelphia market for 30 years. Turned it over to my two sons in 1997 after being a Florida snowbird during the 1995 and 1996 winters and then playing golf and traveling during the summers, doing what I called "Practicing for retirement". Did several cruises to Europe and the Caribbean. After two years of doing that, I knew I was ready for retirement.

During my working years, to escape the usual stress that comes with running a business, I learned to fly. Got my Private, Commercial, Instrument, Multi-Engine, Seaplane, Flight Instructor Airplanes and Instruments, Single and Multi-Engine Airplane ratings. Used the last part of my GI Bill learning to fly a Lear Jet. Did advanced flight instructing and Corporate flying on the side. Once I decided to retire from my business, I made the decision to slowly back out of flight instructing.

Since retirement, I helped found and build the Bogleheads online community, first on the Morningstar Vanguard Diehards forum and then on our own bogleheads.org forum. Worked with Taylor to set up the first Bogleheads Conference in Miami with Jack Bogle. That turned into a 20-year annual event with Jack which took nine months of planning and preparation each year for me and my super team.

At Jack Bogle's request, I founded The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy and served as its President for 10 years.

While that was going on, I received a call from Wiley Publishing in 2005, asking us to write a series of investing books. Our first book, The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing, was published in Jan. 2006. We were flattered when it was picked as one of the top ten financial books of 2006 by Amazon. That was followed by The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning and then more recently, The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio.

During my retirement, I also received a call from Forbes. asking me to write columns for them. Did that for a number of years until I just got so busy I knew I had to give something up. That's when I decided to stop doing my Forbes column.

I was asked to serve on our City's Board of Adjustments, and I ended up as Chairman. After doing that for a while, I was asked to consider running for elected office. In 2016, I was elected to City Council and was re-elected in 2018. Then in 2020, I was elected Vice Mayor. I'm also a member of the City's Economic Development Council, where I work with both new and existing businesses to make sure the City does what it can to help them thrive.

Since I live directly across the street from the beach, I spend an hour or more there every day, walking 4-5 miles and using that time to not only get my exercise, but also clear my mind. And a couple of years ago, I started playing pickleball, which I was doing for an hour or two each morning, prior to the 2020 craziness.

Other than that, I try to get a good night's sleep and keep an open mind, since one never knows when something interesting may come their way.

Who says retirement has to be boring? Not me!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

Well Mel, you have given us a high bar to try to shoot for. You sound more active in retirement than when you were running your business. Thanks for all you have done for the Bogleheads.
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

jebmke wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:21 pm Today and tomorrow I'll be starting to brush up on the new tax law so I can be certified to do 2020 taxes for TaxAide. We still don't know if we will open on time but eventually, our clients will need help. Many of them simply didn't file 2019 returns (we had to close early due to the pandemic) so I suspect there will be 2019 and 2020 returns to be done some day.

Tuesday I'm off on my first major birding trip of the new year. Hopefully some good sightings on the coast.
^ this

We have been getting ready for TaxAide recently. Our site will scan tax documents by appointment and send taxpayers on their way. The preparers will interview them by Google Meet later. This process has created new training in addition to the new tax provisions related to covid.

We will somehow also work on returns where the taxpayers have scanned and uploaded their documents to the secure site. That doesn't help those most in need. 1/6 of adults over 65 do not have a computer, let alone a document scanner.

Taxes should keep us busy thru mid-April, longer if tax season is extended again, which I predict.

Most years, we take a vacation trip after the season ends.
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

Pinotage wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:06 am
KneePartsPro wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:36 pm I'm helping people who are considering a knee replacement understand the important differences between artificial knee joints as well as helping people who already have a knee replacement get the information they might need on the artificial knee replacement in their body. I find it to be a meaningful use of my time given my past work experience in the artificial knee industry.
Username checks out :D

Thank you for this post. This is interesting to me, as I have also considered activities related to my current work after I retire. An opportunity to use accumulated experience and skills in a scaled down version.
:thumbsup If you can enjoy using your acquired skills, in a way that helps others, every body wins! Good luck to you.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Ependytis wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:06 am Well Mel, you have given us a high bar to try to shoot for. You sound more active in retirement than when you were running your business. Thanks for all you have done for the Bogleheads.
So true. I often say that I'm busier now in retirement than I was when I ran a business. The nice thing about being retired and financially secure, though, is that you can pick and choose from any offers or opportunities that come your way. And, if you do accept something that doesn't work out for you, you can simply walk away without worrying about where the next meal's coming from.

Find something that keeps you feeling alive and involved and it just may extend your time here on earth. And if it doesn't, at least you'll enjoy the time you have left.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

lws wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:37 pm Helping to run a STEM program for kids.
Love it. That is my plan too... To be a docent/ host for student field trips at a local museum. Also, in-class science experiment helper at local public schools. Interestingly, one STEM group told me my race/gender wasn't in their "target profile" for helpers... so I'll help elsewhere.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Old Guy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:47 pm Why do I have to do anything meaningful? I spent 40 years doing meaningful stuff. Don’t need to do it anymore.
Q: What makes life meaningful?
A: Doing meaningful things(?)