2021 I Bonds: what's your plan?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
BrokerageZelda

Re: 2021 I Bonds: what's your plan?

Post by BrokerageZelda »

LTCM wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:02 pm
calwatch wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:44 pm Do you have a solo 401k? You could create an entity account using the EIN and buy $10k that way. That is much less dicier.
I do! How do I do that?
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/he ... rnmore.htm

Instructions for LLC and Sole Proprietor accounts (among others) are here.
LTCM

Post by LTCM »

BrokerageZelda wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 pm
calwatch wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:44 pm Do you have a solo 401k? You could create an entity account using the EIN and buy $10k that way. That is much less dicier.
I do! How do I do that?

So this is something the Treasury allow businesses to do with their cash balances? Buy bonds and then report the interest earned as income?
Anything else I should know? I assume I can't avoid tax by using them to buy qualified education with the proceeds like with a personal purchase?
55% VUG - 20% VEA - 20% EDV - 5% BNDX
LTCM

Post by LTCM »

Treasury Direct wrote:We are having difficulty verifying the information you provided when opening your account. For your protection...
Ugh. Such a pain.
55% VUG - 20% VEA - 20% EDV - 5% BNDX
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

LTCM wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:56 pm So this is something the Treasury allow businesses to do with their cash balances? Buy bonds and then report the interest earned as income?
Anything else I should know? I assume I can't avoid tax by using them to buy qualified education with the proceeds like with a personal purchase?
On the application, you enter both your EIN (for your business, not for the solo 401k) and your SSN. I assume that the 1099 posts on the EIN when you cash out, but the EIN points to your SSN when you created it. If you were conservative, you should only use the I Bonds purchased under your SSN, as supposedly the I Bonds are purchased on behalf of the sole proprietorship, but I see no guidance either way.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes ... 653/page/3
The IRS is looking for 1099-INT bank interest income to be reported on Line 1040 / Line 2b. The bank sends your 1099-INT with your EIN on it. The IRS gets it. The IRS sees that the EIN belongs to your SMLLC, and that SMLLC belongs to you, and only you. The IRS will look for the income reported on that 1099-INT, on your 1040/2b (and Schedule B if required). If it's not there, you'll probably get a letter asking why.
Phantom0606

Post by Phantom0606 »

Team - i tried creating a account but its saying i need additional verification through snail mail which may take a couple of weeks.

Am i able to buy these in June if thats when my account gets approved or would it not be worth it?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Phantom0606 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 am Team - i tried creating a account but its saying i need additional verification through snail mail which may take a couple of weeks.

Am i able to buy these in June if thats when my account gets approved or would it not be worth it?
Is your credit frozen?

Anyway, if it takes 2-3 weeks, you still have time to meet the June 30 purchase deadline.
Phantom0606

Post by Phantom0606 »

Yea i believe i froze it temporarily from a cyber security perspective.
BrokerageZelda

Post by BrokerageZelda »

Phantom0606 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 am Team - i tried creating a account but its saying i need additional verification through snail mail which may take a couple of weeks.

It sounds like you're worried that you'll have fewer months at 3.54% if you buy in June or later. That's not actually true.

You won't lose any time with the big interest rate as long as you purchase by the end of October, because the initial rate is always locked for six months after purchase.

If you buy in June, you get 3.54% for six months through the end of November.
If you buy in July, you get 3.54% for six months through the end of December.
If you buy in August, you get 3.54% for six months through the end of January.

etc. No rush.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Phantom0606 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:44 am Yea i believe i froze it temporarily from a cyber security perspective.
Maybe that is the trick, me spouse and I both unfrooze all our credit when we created out TD accounts. We were able to create them without having to mail any form with MSG. Our accounts were later locked (shortly after opening them), but we were both able to unlock them via phone. No issues since unlocking them that first time. We completed I Bond purchases last year and this year without issues.
Arby

Post by Arby »

neurosphere wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:49 am
A purchase on Jan 28th is the same as a purchase on Jan 4 (for example). That is, come February 1, both purchase dates will have counted as a one-month holding period and earn the same interest.
Is the flip side......redeem at the beginning of the month rather than at the end also true?
BrokerageZelda

Post by BrokerageZelda »

Arby wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:16 am
A purchase on Jan 28th is the same as a purchase on Jan 4 (for example). That is, come February 1, both purchase dates will have counted as a one-month holding period and earn the same interest.
Is the flip side......redeem at the beginning of the month rather than at the end also true?
Yes. Treasury back-dates all purchases to the first of the current month. That means that interest is always credited at the beginning of the month. So if you redeem during the final week of the month, you get the same redemption value as you would by redeeming during the first week of the month.
Arby

Post by Arby »

LTCM wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:04 am
Treasury Direct wrote:We are having difficulty verifying the information you provided when opening your account. For your protection...
Ugh. Such a pain.
I'm considering buying but anticipate problems since I live overseas but don't have an "official" US address. Anyone know how they verify info?
BrokerageZelda

Post by BrokerageZelda »

Arby wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:32 am
LTCM wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:04 am
Ugh. Such a pain.
I'm considering buying but anticipate problems since I live overseas but don't have an "official" US address. Anyone know how they verify info?
If I were in your situation, I would probably give TD customer service a call (without volunteering your identity) to ask if they have any rules or processes for US persons living abroad.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

BrokerageZelda wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:29 am
Arby wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:16 am
Yes. Treasury back-dates all purchases to the first of the current month. That means that interest is always credited at the beginning of the month. So if you redeem during the final week of the month, you get the same redemption value as you would by redeeming during the first week of the month.
If you purchase near the end of the month and sell near the start of the month you can effectively reduce the 3 month interest penalty (if redeemed before 5 years) to something closer to 2 months.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

LTCM wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:56 pm
BrokerageZelda wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 pm
I do! How do I do that?

So this is something the Treasury allow businesses to do with their cash balances? Buy bonds and then report the interest earned as income?
This is new information for me, that an LLC counts as a separate entity. I knew trusts were an example of a "non-human" entity. But calwatch implies that somehow a solo401 is needed? I can't find information on that. I don't think the 401k need exist or otherwise plays a role? It seems merely the existence of the LLC (or other similar entity) is sufficient. Do I have that correct?

I have an LLC. So that means between my wife and me and LLC, we could buy $30,000/year in Series I savings bonds online?

I wonder what happens if the LLC no longer exists when the bonds are redeemed? Hmm.
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
drk

Post by drk »

BrokerageZelda wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 pm https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/he ... rnmore.htm

That page is for creating a Treasury Direct account for various entities, not buying Series I Bonds. The Series I Bond detail page explicitly excludes "Corporations, partnerships, other entities" in its eligibility table.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

drk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:24 pm
BrokerageZelda wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:21 pm https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/he ... rnmore.htm

That page is for creating a Treasury Direct account for various entities, not buying Series I Bonds. The Series I Bond detail page explicitly excludes "Corporations, partnerships, other entities" in its eligibility table.
The table where certain entities are not allowed to own savings bonds are for “paper” bonds only.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

HueyLD wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:29 pm The table where certain entities are not allowed to own savings bonds are for “paper” bonds only.
yes, I see it specifically says "yes" with regards to owning online bonds as a "corporation".

I will admit to feeling way behind on this topic, not previously knowing an LLC or partnership for example could buy savings bonds. In all the previous bond discussions regarding limits, there are frequent suggestions or reminders that a trust can buy bonds, but none that I recall have mentioned an LLC or sole proprietorship. I suspect there are as many people on BH that have side gigs (or main gigs, lol) than have trusts. I also suspect that this was a change introduced with online bonds, so it's a relatively "new" feature? :D
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
drk

Post by drk »

HueyLD wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:29 pm The table where certain entities are not allowed to own savings bonds are for “paper” bonds only.
:oops: Thanks for noting that. Treasury Direct's horrible design strikes again.

Have you purchased Series I Bonds with an LLC?
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

Solo 401k was just used as an example of a person with an entity EIN. There is no requirement to have an EIN to open an account as a sole proprietor. The "sole proprietor" definition is very fuzzy and there are no guidelines for determining who is or isn't a sole proprietor. If you have a solo 401k, you obviously earned enough self employment income to definitely qualify. Someone whose income consists solely of W-2 wages and regular interest and dividends, not so much. Sorry for the confusion.
ballons

Post by ballons »

2 TD accounts created and funded in less than 5 minutes. I thought this was going to be more difficult.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

calwatch wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:42 pm Solo 401k was just used as an example of a person with an entity EIN. There is no requirement to have an EIN to open an account as a sole proprietor. The "sole proprietor" definition is very fuzzy and there are no guidelines for determining who is or isn't a sole proprietor. If you have a solo 401k, you obviously earned enough self employment income to definitely qualify. Someone whose income consists solely of W-2 wages and regular interest and dividends, not so much. Sorry for the confusion.
Got it. But if any org has it's own EIN, that's almost by definition an independent entity, right?

So a sole-proprietor working with an EIN (rather than SS#) is certainly an entity so, --> "entity"
An LLC by definition has its own EIN --> "entity".

I know people with TWO LLCs. E.g. ME. Does that mean I can buy $40,000 in online I-bonds (me, spouse, LLC#1, LLC#2)? I'm seriously considering opening a new TD account for my LLC, buying bonds, and "seeing what happens".
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

No Plans...

I don't want another account.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Bama12 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:54 pm No Plans...

But, I would love another $10,000 in I-bonds! :wink:
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

neurosphere wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:33 pm

Not me.

I would love to have another $10,000 in Vanguard S&P Small Cap 600 Value-VIOV :)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

neurosphere wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:33 pm

Me too! I wish they would increase the annual purchase limit.
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

anon_investor wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:08 am
Phantom0606 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:44 am Yea i believe i froze it temporarily from a cyber security perspective.
Maybe that is the trick, me spouse and I both unfrooze all our credit when we created out TD accounts. We were able to create them without having to mail any form with MSG. Our accounts were later locked (shortly after opening them), but we were both able to unlock them via phone. No issues since unlocking them that first time. We completed I Bond purchases last year and this year without issues.
Me and my wife both created TD accounts last November without unfreezing our credit, and had no issues. It seems like a lottery if people have issues or not.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:04 am
Me and my wife both created TD accounts last November without unfreezing our credit, and had no issues. It seems like a lottery if people have issues or not.
Did TD lock your account shortly after you opened it? I am pretty sure they locked my and my spouse's accounts shortly after opening them because when you create the account you can only add 1 bank account, and after we created our accounts we proceeded to add our other bank accounts, and the accounts were pretty much locked shortly thereafter. Fortunately a phone call for each of us was all it took to unlock and no issues since. My spouse has not made any account changes since then, the only change I did was to add a second phone number.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Personally I use a central "transfer" account (a CMA @ Fidelity), which is what I use to link to other accounts. It basically never has any funds in it, unless they came from someplace else or need to be sent to someplace else.

This makes it so I only need to link a single account to places like TX. And I don't need to change accounts if I switch my checking/saving to a different account (I'll just link those to my "transfer" account).

This has made my banking much simpler, as I don't have a spider web of different accounts linked to multiple other accounts. And (at least in my mind) this is more secure, as if money is pulled/pushed from any other account (not through my "transfer" account) that's a red flag to investigate immediately, and if I somehow have an account compromised, the only risk is whatever is in the account as the transfer account is basically a "firewall" between the other accounts.

And "worst case" is I need to do two transfers to get funds somewhere (such as an ACH pull from "savings" two days prior to a scheduled pull from TD [from the transfer account]). That's fine by me...
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

anon_investor wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:22 am
Did TD lock your account shortly after you opened it? I am pretty sure they locked my and my spouse's accounts shortly after opening them because when you create the account you can only add 1 bank account, and after we created our accounts we proceeded to add our other bank accounts, and the accounts were pretty much locked shortly thereafter. Fortunately a phone call for each of us was all it took to unlock and no issues since. My spouse has not made any account changes since then, the only change I did was to add a second phone number.
Nope, they have never locked our accounts. Though we've only ever added once bank account to each TD account. Not because we knew that might cause an issue, but only because we only use one bank account for linking to other stuff.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ImUrHuckleberry wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:16 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:22 am
Nope, they have never locked our accounts. Though we've only ever added once bank account to each TD account. Not because we knew that might cause an issue, but only because we only use one bank account for linking to other stuff.
Interesting. I wonder if most people never have issues and we only hear about the people on BH complaining they have an issue...
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

BrokerageZelda wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:06 am

It sounds like you're worried that you'll have fewer months at 3.54% if you buy in June or later. That's not actually true.

You won't lose any time with the big interest rate as long as you purchase by the end of October, because the initial rate is always locked for six months after purchase.

etc. No rush.
Thank you. This was helpful. If you purchase "out of phase" like this, you still get the current attractive interest rate for 6 months. What happens after new rates kick in November? Say I purchase the bond in June, do the announced November rates kick in for MY bond in December instead and last an additional month as well? I admittedly haven't phrased this question very well, but hopefully you understand what I'm asking.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:40 pm
BrokerageZelda wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:06 am

etc. No rush.
Thank you. This was helpful. If you purchase "out of phase" like this, you still get the current attractive interest rate for 6 months. What happens after new rates kick in November? Say I purchase the bond in June, do the announced November rates kick in for MY bond in December instead and last an additional month as well? I admittedly haven't phrased this question very well, but hopefully you understand what I'm asking.
Yes, you will ge the new variable rate after 6 months. So in your example if you bought in June 2021 (you get 3.54% for 6 months), then in December 2021 you would start getting the new variable rate announced in November 2021 for the next 6 months, and it will then reset again, etc.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Thank you. Rush averted!
MrMars

Post by MrMars »

Just stopped in to say that I purchased my first I-Bonds this month. I've since called TD 3 times (once to reset the password, once to get a walk through on how to change purchased bond from POD to With, and once for something trivial). Every single time they have been incredibly helpful. My experience is that their customer service is what I wish customer service was like everywhere.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Article in the WSJ on I bonds. This forum is referenced as well.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-bonds-th ... yURL_share
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Topic Author
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Freefun wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:29 am Article in the WSJ on I bonds. This forum is referenced as well.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-bonds-th ... yURL_share
I saw that ! Interesting.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

anon_investor wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:28 pm Interesting. I wonder if most people never have issues and we only hear about the people on BH complaining they have an issue...
You could say the same about many things and many forums, but add me to the "haven't had an issue yet (knock on wood)" column for Bogleheads using TreasuryDirect. I've kept my account very simple though. It is just linked to my secondary bank account (which has no money in it unless I'm conducting a specific transaction, like a previous poster) and it just holds my personal I Bonds.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

imho, buying I-bonds is always worth it.
APX32

Post by APX32 »

protagonist wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:47 pm

imho, buying I-bonds is always worth it.
This is an easy call. My remaining $5k purchase for 2021 was completed earlier this week with the 3.54% rate for the next 6 months. Then I checked out my previous purchases going back to 2017. There are a couple of 3.54%s in there, a 3.64%, several 1.68%, and a 4.05%!

All together, I have almost $55k earning pretty close to 3% for the next 6 months. Where else can you get that? I only wish I could put all my cash in I-bonds.
40% SPY | 10% stonks | 50% Cash
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

2021 purchases completed today.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Random Musings wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:02 pm 2021 purchases completed today.

RM
Nice! A week ago, this was my plan as well. But then circumstances changed and dictated maximum liquidity, so I will defer my decision until October.
camillus

Post by camillus »

Bought 10k yesterday instead of making a principal payment on my 3% mortgage. Living on the edge.
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

camillus wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:51 pm Bought 10k yesterday instead of making a principal payment on my 3% mortgage. Living on the edge.
Next thing you know, you will be doing a cash out refi to invest! :twisted:
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

Does anyone know when I should see savings bonds value update on TD?

I purchased $10K in February 2021 but it still shows at $10K today.

Thank you
Angst

Post by Angst »

Doc7 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:54 pm Does anyone know when I should see savings bonds value update on TD?

Thank you
I've never paid much attention to TD's numbers, at least in the short run d/t the 3-month interest penalty that goes away after 5 years, so I'll just make a guess: You're locked out of selling your I Bond for 1 year, so perhaps you won't see any accrual until Feb 1st, 2022? Even then, note that it will still omit the 3 most recent months' interest as an early withdrawal penalty until Feb 2026.

I use #Cruncher's website when I want to get a current value for my I Bonds. It shows the full accrued interest - i.e. it does not omit the last 3 months, etc. It's also a lot quicker to "login" to than TD! Check it out here: http://eyebonds.info/ibonds/10000/ib_2021_02.html Follow its "Home" link too. The website is quite a nice resource.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Doc7 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:54 pm Does anyone know when I should see savings bonds value update on TD?

Thank you
You would not see the last 3 months of interest, so until you have accrued 4 motnhs of interest will it show you as having any interest. So you will not see any interest until July 1, and it would only be 1 months worth.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:49 pm

Thank you
You would not see the last 3 months of interest, so until you have accrued 4 motnhs of interest will it show you as having any interest. So you will not see any interest until July 1, and it would only be 1 months worth.
I think they are actually past 4 months already...

I've got TD synced to Fidelity's "full view" (aka eMoney), and it shows me updates monthly.

But if I recall, when you go to the TD site, the default view only shows what's redeemable (or what was purchased)... At least I'm pretty sure the last time I looked, it showed all my bonds < 1 year as $10k without accrued interest. Seems like I had to click on my bond to get to the details to see how much interest had accrued...

But I might be wrong, as I only login to TD to buy (and eventually sell) bonds...
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

SnowBog wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:28 pm

Thank you

I've got TD synced to Fidelity's "full view" (aka eMoney), and it shows me updates monthly.

But if I recall, when you go to the TD site, the default view only shows what's redeemable (or what was purchased)... At least I'm pretty sure the last time I looked, it showed all my bonds < 1 year as $10k without accrued interest. Seems like I had to click on my bond to get to the details to see how much interest had accrued...

But I might be wrong, as I only login to TD to buy (and eventually sell) bonds...
You're right 4 months have past, unless they were really purchased in March instead of Feb.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:30 pm
SnowBog wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:28 pm

Thank you

You're right 4 months have past, unless they were really purchased in March instead of Feb.
Wouldn't that still be 4+ months? :? March (purchased anytime in the month counts), April, May, June... 1, 2, 3, 4... ETA: Would have to been purchased in February to have 4 months passed... Purchases in March will hit 4 months in July...
Last edited by SnowBog on Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.