Vanguard Beacon

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Steadfast

Vanguard Beacon

Post by Steadfast »

There is a new Vanguard app available on the iTunes App Store: Vanguard Beacon. It appears to be a development version featuring a more modern interface, but it does function. All of my accounts appear on the dashboard with the exception of a 529 account.
We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
mhc

Re: Vanguard Beacon

Post by mhc »

I received an email about Vanguard Beacon today. I rarely use the existing app, so I'm not eager to try the new one.

Do you like the new app better than the existing app?
avenger

Post by avenger »

It’s hard to say it’s any better.
It froze on me twice. I’m intrigued, but I’m not getting my hopes up.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
changingtimes

Post by changingtimes »

I've been using it for a few months. The nicest part (for Android) is being able to use fingerprint login. But I can't yet see full details on some of my unusual accounts (brokerage account owned by a trust, inherited IRA).

It seems like it will eventually be a decent replacement for the current rickety app, but it's not there yet.
InvestorHowie

Post by InvestorHowie »

I also installed it earlier today. Froze on me twice while getting set up but a couple app restarts got me in. I like the interface better than the existing app and iOS users can use FaceID which is long overdue. I imagine I will use it quite often as long as it keeps improving.
Investing should be more like watching paint dry or watching grass grow. If you want excitement, take $800 and go to Las Vegas. --Paul Samuelson
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Steadfast wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:07 pm There is a new Vanguard app available on the iTunes App Store: Vanguard Beacon. It appears to be a development version featuring a more modern interface, but it does function. All of my accounts appear on the dashboard with the exception of a 529 account.
Interesting. No ship theme?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

InvestorHowie wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:03 pm I also installed it earlier today. Froze on me twice while getting set up but a couple app restarts got me in. I like the interface better than the existing app and iOS users can use FaceID which is long overdue. I imagine I will use it quite often as long as it keeps improving.
I have been using FaceID on the old iOS app for ages.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
Steadfast

Post by Steadfast »

Well, a lighthouse is a beacon, and were once relevant to ships, so I suppose there is a torturous path to a maritime theme here.
abuss368 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:23 pm
Steadfast wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:07 pm There is a new Vanguard app available on the iTunes App Store: Vanguard Beacon. It appears to be a development version featuring a more modern interface, but it does function. All of my accounts appear on the dashboard with the exception of a 529 account.
We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Steadfast wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:56 pm Well, a lighthouse is a beacon, and were once relevant to ships, so I suppose there is a torturous path to a maritime theme here.
abuss368 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:23 pm
Stay the course!
InvestorHowie

Post by InvestorHowie »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:54 pm
InvestorHowie wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:03 pm I also installed it earlier today. Froze on me twice while getting set up but a couple app restarts got me in. I like the interface better than the existing app and iOS users can use FaceID which is long overdue. I imagine I will use it quite often as long as it keeps improving.
I have been using FaceID on the old iOS app for ages.
You know what, you're absolutely right and I was absolutely wrong. I just realized I had given up on the old app long ago because after the FaceID I was dropped into a painful experience. The 'employer 401k' UI, for instance, is absolutely horrid. And sadly has not been improved past the 'dashboard' screen yet in the new app.

My mistake -- here's hoping for a better experience ahead!
Investing should be more like watching paint dry or watching grass grow. If you want excitement, take $800 and go to Las Vegas. --Paul Samuelson
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

mhc wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:27 pm I received an email about Vanguard Beacon today. I rarely use the existing app, so I'm not eager to try the new one.
This has been my experience as well. I really don’t use the app as I don’t typically log in unless I am planning to buy additional shares.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

You should consider logging into the Vanguard website and providing feedback on the experience. Feedback, good or bad, is critical, can may help with improvements.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I have the old Vanguard app, but I never use it. I doubt I would like the new app. I hate using apps for financial matters. The screen on my phone is just too small. I prefer to work from my laptop where the screen is large enough that I can read the numbers, and there's enough real estate to display the numbers in context. Can you tell I'm getting old and crotchety?
changingtimes

Post by changingtimes »

The new app at least doesn't make you log in again to see your employer account, as the old Android app has been doing for quite some time.
horste

Post by horste »

I got the email today and downloaded the new app for Android. I have not experienced any freezing. Still feels bare bones but the interface is fresh. It's a better visual of accounts but I haven't done more than poke around.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Installed Beacon ipad version. Deleted after a few minutes of “usage”.

1) ipad orientation is not able to rotate. I use a bluetooth keyboard, and orientation does not work this way. You need to hold the ipad like a phone, so why call it an “ipad” version ?

2) Little functionality is there.

3) Old platform fund-only accounts not supported.
While I will migrate soon, but not for this reason. App is not even close to useful vs older app.

Website > old app > new app
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

That is interesting. I have not yet downloaded the app. I am still using the website as I simply do not log on much.

Best.
Tony
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

It is definitely a work in progress but I think it shows potential for being better than the current app.

I appreciate the chance to get an early look.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet