Register NOW for these Bogleheads Speaker Series Events

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
akam

Re: Register NOW for these Bogleheads Speaker Series Events

Post by akam »

"Unable to join
Looks like the meeting URL is incorrect. Please check the URL and try again."

Anyone else getting this message?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

From the chat screen:
In case you are having any issues viewing, please exit and rejoin teh event. Thank you
Close the browser tab, then click on the link in the email to join. Worked for me, the meeting has started.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Jacotus

Post by Jacotus »

Many of us who just registered are unable to access the video stream due to not having a correct link: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=337069

If Vanguard is handling the technical backend, color me not surprised...
femgineer

Post by femgineer »

Yes, the link in ics file (calendar entry file) goes nowhere. I received no email other than registration confirmation.

Unfortunate.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

After looking the calendar invitation link over, I believe it got truncated somewhere.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

Hello Bogleheads!

The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is excited to announce the next installment of the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, April 10, 2020, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bill Bernstein in conversation with Bob Pisani (register)

Please register to see Dr. Bill Bernstein talk about the markets, investing, and his new book, The Delusions of Crowds: Why People Go Mad in Groups, with CNBC senior markets correspondent Bob Pisani. We’re thrilled to partner with Spark Network to use a new platform for this event. And we’re introducing a new feature—you’ll have the opportunity to connect for additional discussion in video rooms after the conversation.

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is provided free of charge. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the Bogle Center to help offset our costs and continue with this and other educational programs.

The event will be recorded and posted to the Bogle Center’s website. Stay tuned for announcements of future speakers.

The Bogle Center Board
Bogleheads® is a registered trademark of the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a non-profit 501(c) that supports Bogleheads initiatives worldwide.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Bogle Center wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:30 pm Hello Bogleheads!

The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is excited to announce the next installment of the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, April 10, 2020, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bill Bernstein in conversation with Bob Pisani

Please register to see Dr. Bill Bernstein talk about the markets, investing, and his new book, The Delusions of Crowds: Why People Go Mad in Groups, with CNBC senior markets correspondent Bob Pisani. We’re thrilled to partner with Spark Network to use a new platform for this event. And we’re introducing a new feature—you’ll have the opportunity to connect for additional discussion in video rooms after the conversation.

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is provided free of charge. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the Bogle Center to help offset our costs and continue with this and other educational programs.

The event will be recorded and posted to the Bogle Center’s website. Stay tuned for announcements of future speakers.

The Bogle Center Board
None of the links enable me to register. Where can I do so.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:37 pm None of the links enable me to register. Where can I do so.
1. Register with sparknetwork.com
2. Register for BH event
3. Wait for a confirmation email
4. Confirmation email contains a link to the event as well as a link to add to your calendar
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Register HERE:

Saturday, April 10, 2020, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bill Bernstein in conversation with Bob Pisani
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Rick Ferri wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:17 pm Register HERE:

Thank you. I am quite interested in the new book.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:45 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:37 pm None of the links enable me to register. Where can I do so.
1. Register with sparknetwork.com
2. Register for BH event
3. Wait for a confirmation email
4. Confirmation email contains a link to the event as well as a link to add to your calendar
This also works:

1. Register via the "RSVP" button.
2. Download the calendar file, which is immediately available. There's no need to wait for an email (nor is there any need to confirm an email link).
3. Import the calendar file. The link is in the calendar event.

The Outlook calendar format (.ics file) can be imported with Thunderbird.

FYI - The website does not have a privacy policy.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:24 pm This also works:

1. Register via the "RSVP" button.
2. Download the calendar file, which is immediately available. There's no need to wait for an email (nor is there any need to confirm an email link).
When I did that originally the Calendar entry lacked the Virtual event URL. But when I clicked in the confirmation email the Calendar entry included the Virtual event URL. The confirmation email also includes that URL. People will need that to access the video on Apr 10th.

I'm using Google Calendar. Perhaps it works differently with the .ICS file into T-Bird.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Bumping for visibility. Bill Bernstein's interview is today at 1 PM Eastern.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:36 am ^^^ Bumping for visibility. Bill Bernstein's interview is today at 1 PM Eastern.
Hi LadyGeek:

I had a conflict today. Will a replay be available later? Thanks!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I hope so, I missed the event. The link in my downloaded calendar showed a login screen. I wasn't going to create an account, so I'll wait for the replay.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:58 pm I hope so, I missed the event. The link in my downloaded calendar showed a login screen. I wasn't going to create an account, so I'll wait for the replay.
Thanks!
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:58 pm I hope so, I missed the event. The link in my downloaded calendar showed a login screen. I wasn't going to create an account, so I'll wait for the replay.
And had you logged in your real name would have appeared in the attendees list rather than your Bogleheads user name. This is something that needs to get fixed for the next session in May. It's not only a privacy issue but BH user names are more recognizable than real names (except of course when they're the same.)

I got a post-event survey in which I made that point. I encourage others who get the survey to do likewise.

That said, if you enjoy Bill Bernstein you'll enjoy watching the video.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Are you saying that the attendee list was publicly visible? :?:

I'm glad I never registered.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:55 pm Are you saying that the attendee list was publicly visible? :?:
Yes :oops:
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

Fellow Bogleheads,

The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to present the next event in the Bogleheads® Speaker Series!

Saturday, May 8, 2021, 1 p.m. eastern time: A conversation with Christine Benz and Kara Beth Vance on smart planning at every life stage.

Morningstar director of personal finance Christine Benz and fee-only financial planner Kara Beth Vance of Timothy Financial will discuss some of the key financial planning and investing considerations at various life stages. In this conversation, they'll share tips for people just starting out in their financial lives, retirees, and everyone in between.

Please note that the first and last name entered during registration will be displayed for those who participate in the live chat during the event. Feel free to use an alias if you aren’t comfortable with having your name displayed in the chat.

The Bogleheads® Speaker Series is provided free of charge. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the Bogle Center to help offset our costs and continue with this and other educational programs. The event will be recorded and posted to the Bogle Center’s website.

Stay tuned for announcements of future speakers.

The Bogle Center Board

Bogleheads® is a registered trademark of the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.
Bogleheads® is a registered trademark of the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a non-profit 501(c) that supports Bogleheads initiatives worldwide.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A reminder that the event is this coming Saturday.

I have added the event to the blog's Calendar of Events, which we're using to track Bogleheads chapter meetings.

See the US Chapters forum for all chapter activity. Many chapters are meeting virtually via Zoom.

My Firefox browser didn't work with the event registration. I had to use Chrome's private browser window (extensions disabled) to get the registration to work. Also, I did not use my Bogleheads username nor my real name. Have fun, be creative (but keep it family friendly).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ A reminder that the meeting is tomorrow.
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to present the next event in the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bogleheads Speaker Series: Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on preparing for college

New York Times financial columnist and author Ron Lieber’s new book, The Price You Pay for College, provides a roadmap to help families navigate the often difficult and confusing journey of preparing for college. In this discussion with Rick Ferri, Ron will touch on the most important college-planning topics, from choosing the right school to figuring out the right ways to save, borrow, and bargain for a better deal.

Please note that the first and last name entered during registration will be displayed for those who participate in the live chat during the event. Feel free to use an alias if you aren’t comfortable with having your name displayed in the chat.

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is provided free of charge. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the Bogle Center to help offset our costs and continue with this and other educational programs. The event will be recorded and posted to the Bogle Center’s website.

The Bogle Center Board
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Speaker Series event has been entered in the blog's Calendar of Events.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bumping for visibility. The Speaker Series event is tomorrow.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bumping for visibility. The meeting starts in 2 hours.
Mike Nolan

Post by Mike Nolan »

Thanks, all, for your continued interest in the Bogleheads Speaker Series. The monthly Speaker Series is going on hiatus for now, but please stay tuned for announcements about future events, both virtual and, eventually, in-person. Virtual events hosted by the various Bogleheads chapters will continue, so check out the calendar of events for upcoming sessions.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm sorry to hear that. This thread is now removed as a 'sticky' topic from the top of the forum. When the series resumes, I'll put it back to the top.

Mike is referring to the efforts of the US & Non-US Bogleheads chapters in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum.

The blog's Calendar of Events (and Bogle Center website Calendar of Events) have been updated to remove the Speaker Series subscription list. We'll put it back when the Speaker Series continues.
MisterCheesyDibbles

Post by MisterCheesyDibbles »

For 2023 ?