Register NOW for these Bogleheads Speaker Series Events

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Register NOW for these Bogleheads Speaker Series Events

Post by Bogle Center »

The Board of Directors of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to announce registration for the first two Bogleheads Speaker Series LIVE video events.

Saturday, November 14, 2020 1-2 p.m. EST.
Carl Richards: “The Sketch Guy”

We’re thrilled to present a conversation with Carl Richards, also known as “The Sketch Guy” for his singular ability to turn complex financial concepts into simple, easy-to-understand sketches. Carl will be speaking with Morningstar director of personal finance and Boglehead favorite Christine Benz.

Saturday, December 5, 2020 1-2 p.m. EST
Dan Ariely: Professor of Psychology and Behavioral Economics at Duke University
and author of the New York Times bestseller Predictably Irrational.

Dan will translate his academic research into accessible insights that can help improve the choices we make about finance, health, and our personal lives. Author and investment adviser Allan Roth will moderate a Q&A with Dan at the end of the session.

The sessions are live video events and will be recorded for later viewing.

Click HERE to register for The Bogleheads Speaker Series

Sincerely yours,
The Bogle Center Board of Directors

Rick Ferri - President
Bill Bernstein – Vice President
Allan Roth – Treasurer
Ben Holland – Secretary
Christine Benz - member
Gail Cox - member
Laura Dogu – member
Rich Guerra – member
Mike Nolan – Member
Last edited by Bogle Center on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bogleheads® is a registered trademark of the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a non-profit 501(c) that supports Bogleheads initiatives worldwide.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Register NOW for these Bogleheads Speaker Series Events

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now a sticky at the top of the forum.

You can select one or both of the series when you register. The form allows you to ask questions for the speakers.

I just registered.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Me too.............just registered......... :sharebeer
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

You might want to add the day of the week to the dates, both on the registration website and in the first post in this thread. Hopefully I am being accurate when I say that I think they are:

Saturday, November 14, 2020 1-2 p.m. EST

(And perhaps something might be done to make it easier to translate times to other time zones. The days are long past I could always get the direction right by imagining a TV announcer saying "8 pm, 7 pm Central.")
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:17 pm You might want to add the day of the week to the dates, both on the registration website and in the first post in this thread. Hopefully I am being accurate when I say that I think they are:

+1

I would also point out that the US is the only country that uses mm/dd/yy time format as in the 11/14/20 and 12/5/20 in the registration confirmation. Everywhere else it's dd/mm/yy (or some other unambiguous format.) Fortunately this isn't an issue with 11/14/20 and 12/5/20 since there's no 14th month and 12th May has already passed. But this is something our sponsors might want to consider with future postings for the benefit of international Bogleheads.
(And perhaps something might be done to make it easier to translate times to other time zones. The days are long past I could always get the direction right by imagining a TV announcer saying "8 pm, 7 pm Central.")
There are numerous websites that provide easy time zone conversion, e.g. Time Zone Converter – Time Difference Calculator. Perhaps add a link like Saturday, November 14, 2020 1-2 p.m. EST

One more thing. I registered last night. The confirmation page said, "You will receive an email with your registration details." So far nothing. I mention this because it's not clear if my email went astray or if the intent is to send the email closer to the event, along with a link to the view the session. If the latter then perhaps it's worth saying so in the confirmation page.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:16 am
One more thing. I registered last night. The confirmation page said, "You will receive an email with your registration details." So far nothing. I mention this because it's not clear if my email went astray or if the intent is to send the email closer to the event, along with a link to the view the session. If the latter then perhaps it's worth saying so in the confirmation page.
This is my situation also. No confirmation email so far.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Same here. The form has a "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page which goes to:
I submitted the form.

Don't email Vanguard directly, use the form. The emails from the event website will be coming from one address and they can handle it appropriately. They'll know that a bunch of them weren't sent. This could be a one-time "Sorry, forgot to enable email responses on the event website" and will fix it.

Update: I received an email, the same as Bylo Selhi's below. There's no need to contact them.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:51 am Same here. The form has a "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page which goes to:
I submitted the form.
As did I.
Don't email Vanguard directly, use the form. The emails from the event website will be coming from one address and they can handle it appropriately. They'll know that a bunch of them weren't sent. This could be a one-time "Sorry, forgot to enable email responses on the event website" and will fix it.
No need any more to contact Vanguard. Rebecca's response, "Thank you for your email. We are currently looking into this issue and should have a resolution shortly."
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have just registered and my confirmations went immediately to the Spam folder. Check yours.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

I registered as well but would like to suggest that asking for our names and BogleHead ID eliminates some important security protections.

Perhaps I am a bit old school, but I prefer some anonymity when discussing my finances.

Just a polite suggestion.

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Good point - I agree on remaining anonymous.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

WoodSpinner wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:20 pm I registered as well but would like to suggest that asking for our names and BogleHead ID eliminates some important security protections.

Perhaps I am a bit old school, but I prefer some anonymity when discussing my finances.

Just a polite suggestion.

WoodSpinner
I wondered about this when I saw the name requirements and then became concerned on seeing the BH user name field. Edit to update that the user name field apparently is optional.
Last edited by Fallible on Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Didn't get anything in my spam folder. But did receive an email from Vanguard saying they're aware of the problem and are looking into it and will get back to me.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:17 am I have just registered and my confirmations went immediately to the Spam folder. Check yours.
I did. Not there.

What I did find is 112 emails from one of the presidential campaigns. Someone must be trying to prank me. And I'm not even eligible to vote :oops:
WoodSpinner wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:20 pm I registered as well but would like to suggest that asking for our names and BogleHead ID eliminates some important security protections.

I agree. However when we register for in-person Bogleheads meetings we have to provide both names as well. Doesn't Vanguard see that information at that time too?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Right, no confirmation email yet for me, either.
Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:25 pm...I agree. However when we register for in-person Bogleheads meetings we have to provide both names as well. Doesn't Vanguard see that information at that time too?...
I don't remember Vanguard being involved in the registration process in any way.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:25 pm I agree. However when we register for in-person Bogleheads meetings we have to provide both names as well. Doesn't Vanguard see that information at that time too?
I was unaware that Vanguard was involved in any way with the event described in this email - is it? As for Boglehead meetings, I haven't been to one but wouldn't guess Vanguard would have access to names except if a physical presence at a Vanguard facility was involved. In the latter case yes, I can see Vanguard demanding your name, fingerprints, voice print, DNA, etc.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Right, no confirmation email yet for me, either.

I took a screenshot of the screen with the confirmation number, though, and if I go to the registration web page, click "already registered," and enter my email and confirmation number, it says I'm registered and lists the event correctly. So I'm just going to sit tight and not worry too much about it. I didn't see anything saying attendance is limited (unlike the old in-person meetings).
Bylo Selhi wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:25 pm...I agree. However when we register for in-person Bogleheads meetings we have to provide both names as well. Doesn't Vanguard see that information at that time too?...
I don't remember Vanguard being involved in the registration process in any way.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:50 pm...I was unaware that Vanguard was involved in any way with the event described in this email - is it?...
I don't know, but their logo is on the event page. I think their relationship with the event ought to be clarified.

[Added] It has been, see this posting below.
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:00 pm
tibbitts wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:50 pm...I was unaware that Vanguard was involved in any way with the event described in this email - is it?...
I don't know, but their logo is on the event page. I think their relationship with the event ought to be clarified.

Note the Contact Us that LadyGeek posted upthread, "Rebecca Hochhaus, Vanguard_Conference_Services@vanguard.com, Vanguard." So they must at least be involved in the registration and maybe also donation payment processing.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:50 pmAs for Boglehead meetings, I haven't been to one but wouldn't guess Vanguard would have access to names except if a physical presence at a Vanguard facility was involved. In the latter case yes, I can see Vanguard demanding your name, fingerprints, voice print, DNA, etc.
I'm 99% sure that we had to show photo ID to board the bus to Vanguard and that their staff used it to verify that we were registered for the conference.

If they also managed to get my fingerprints, voice print and/or DNA their technique was so subtle that I missed it ;)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^As one of the conference volunteers, I am 100% sure the photo ID was needed to get on the bus to Vanguard. Last year, the Vanguard staff verified IDs as we got onto the bus.

I still don't have an email to confirm my registration. I didn't save the confirmation number because it would be in the email. That didn't happen.

You can recover your confirmation number under the "Register" button --> "Already registered? --> "Forgot your confirmation number?" --> enter your email. Email sent. Email not received.
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

We in no way intended to compromise anyone’s privacy.

We hope this post resolves your concerns:

1) Registering with your Bogleheads ID is not a requirement, just optional.
2) Providing your name is also being made optional and hopefully has been resolved by the time you read this.
3) There is no affiliation between Vanguard and the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a.k.a. Bogle Center. Vanguard graciously volunteered to host these events using their technology and expertise at no cost to the Bogle Center. They will not receive any of the donations and are not involved in the donation process. All contributions go directly into a Bogle Center bank account.

Thank you,

The Bogle Center Board
Bogleheads® is a registered trademark of the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a non-profit 501(c) that supports Bogleheads initiatives worldwide.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:17 pm You might want to add the day of the week to the dates, both on the registration website and in the first post in this thread. Hopefully I am being accurate when I say that I think they are:

A Google Calendar invitation is the easiest way I know to not miss things because you forgot what time they are. It deals with time zone differences flawlessly. One could be sent to registered attendees, or a calendar event could be posted here. I would do it myself if I posted using my real name.

I guess we could also have an Outlook invitation for the working stiffs.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

For those concerned about privacy, you can cancel the registration and re-register.

- Login with your confirmation number, then modify the registration --> Cancel (light color button) --> Cancel (red button)
- Register with the information you'd like to publicly provide. At the time of this post, the name is still required. Fill in the fields as you feel appropriate.

I just re-registered with an alternative name, alternative email, and saved the confirmation number. No email has been received from either registration.

Once they start sending out emails and I know what my first confirmation number is, I'll cancel my first registration.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

I'm encouraged by the speakers the Bogle Center board has lined up so far. This event will be a different 'feel' than the normal 200 personal Bogleheads Conference that is usually held in October. Lots more people will be able to participate this year! I've told everyone in my family and all my friends about this virtual event since they have never been able to attend the in-person Conference! I invite you to do the same!
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Bogle Center wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:38 pm We in no way intended to compromise anyone’s privacy.

We hope this post resolves your concerns:

1) Registering with your Bogleheads ID is not a requirement, just optional.
2) Providing your name is also being made optional and hopefully has been resolved by the time you read this.
3) There is no affiliation between Vanguard and the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, a.k.a. Bogle Center. Vanguard graciously volunteered to host these events using their technology and expertise at no cost to the Bogle Center. They will not receive any of the donations and are not involved in the donation process. All contributions go directly into a Bogle Center bank account.

Thank you,

The Bogle Center Board
Thanks for the clarification, appreciate your looking into it.

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

My registration emails just arrived (in my Inbox, not Spam folder) so apparently they're cleared the logjam.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:57 am My registration emails just arrived (in my Inbox, not Spam folder) so apparently they're cleared the logjam.
See you, Bylo, at the BH event. Now, you have to sort out your voting [smile].

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Same here. I just canceled my "extra" registration.

I hope to see both of you (Bylo and VictoriaF) at the BH event.
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

The issue that caused no email response has been resolved.

Thank you for putting up with our growing pains!

The Bogle Center Board
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Just got my confirmation, "from" Vanguard <vanguard_conference_services@vanguardevent.com>.

I am having some issues trying to install Microsoft Teams but I will spare you the details until I can phrase them more clearly. If you aren't already using it, allow time. I thought it was easy because it downloaded and installed the app itself easily--a little too easily in my opinion--but the app is no good without an account to go with it...

Uh, apparently I have to set up an account "with" Microsoft Teams itself. If I use my regular email address to set up that account, is it going to be available to other participants within the meeting?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You don't need to install anything.

Link in email --> Watch on the web instead --> Join anonymously (or Sign In)

If you join anonymously, you'll get a "The live event hasn't started" message. If I got this far, it means that the organizer is allowing anonymous logins. I hope.

If you sign in (pick a Microsoft account), you'll get a "You cannot access this right now" error message and are blocked from seeing the event.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bogle Center wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:43 pm The issue that caused no email response has been resolved.

Thank you for putting up with our growing pains!

The Bogle Center Board
Some additional growing pains. Can you please confirm attendees do not need to install Microsoft Teams and can access the event anonymously, i.e. a public event, as I described above?

By "Public event" I mean configuring the meeting to not require a login.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:37 pmI am having some issues trying to install Microsoft Teams...
I don't think you need to install anything, have an account with Microsoft or sign in to view the event.

When I click the Teams Live: Join virtual session link in the registration email it takes me to a Microsoft web page that offers to let me watch the live event in Microsoft Teams using either Download the Windows app or Watch on the web instead. When I choose the web option it gives me the choice to sign in using my Microsoft ID or Join anonymously. The latter takes me straight to the event page. (That page currently states that the event hasn't started yet, as one would expect. But it does show "The Bogleheads Speaker Series - November 14, 2020" title.)

This is with Windows. I don't see why this wouldn't work with iOS or Linux. Windows users generally have a Microsoft email account, e.g. hotmail.com or outlook.com, associated with their Windows license. That will work to sign in to Teams if one wants to do so. With iOS and Linux this may be different because, of course, there's no need to have a Microsoft account in the first place.

It's possible that joining anonymously limits your ability to use certain features like ask questions. I haven't looked into any of that sort of stuff.

Added: From the horse's mouth- Join a meeting without a Teams account. But note:
1. If no one admits you to the meeting within 15 minutes, you'll be removed from the lobby. If that happens, you can try joining again.
2. Some features of Teams meetings aren't available to guests.

So questions for the organizers: Are anonymous entries allowed using the email link and if so, what features does that disable?
Last edited by Bylo Selhi on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I accessed the event from Linux, no issues. The only time an OS matters is when you install an app.

Without an app, the event video and audio is managed by your web browser which works in any OS - including Apple.

You have the opportunity to ask a question as part of your registration form. The Live event "Q&A" chat window is available now (seems to work...), but access will depend on the host's preferences.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I'm looking forward to this new speaker series that brings a new dimension to Bogleheads!

We hope you can join us.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
treypar

Post by treypar »

I registered and have a confirmation code. I have not received the registration email with details. Do I need to register again?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Do you still have the confirmation code page viewed in your browser? If not, try hitting the "back" button to get to the page. Double-check your email address on that page.

I never got a confirmation email and then saw that I mistyped the email address. I cancelled my reservations and reregistered with the correct email address. I then got a confirmation email.
Allan Roth

Post by Allan Roth »

Carl Richards and Dan Ariely are two outstanding speakers. I've learned a lot from both of them. Very generous that they have donated their time to help us!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Very cool! I registered and got my confirmation emails immediately. Looking forward to them!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Don't be left out! :oops:

Registration is still open. Reserve your spot now!

Click HERE to register for The Bogleheads Speaker Series

:sharebeer
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
arcticpineapplecorp.

I registered but never received a confirmation. just sent an email to Rebecca Hochhaus the event planner as she wrote "Thank you for your email.

We are currently looking into the situation and should have a solution shortly. You will receive confirmation with all the pertinent information once this fix is identified.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. "

That was back on 10/28/2020.

Haven't heard anything since.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You may have made a type in the email address. Try registering again. You should get a confirmation email.

Or, go to The Bogleheads Speaker Series --> Already registered? --> Forgot your confirmation number? --> enter your email address. I don't know if it checks if your email is registered, but if you don't get an email, then that's the problem.
arcticpineapplecorp.

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:06 pm You don't need to install anything.

If you join anonymously, you'll get a "The live event hasn't started" message. If I got this far, it means that the organizer is allowing anonymous logins. I hope.

If you sign in (pick a Microsoft account), you'll get a "You cannot access this right now" error message and are blocked from seeing the event.
Just corrected my issue (apparently I didn't select a speaker when I registered). Anyway, got the email but don't see a "watch on web instead" link, only links to "add to calendar" and "join virtual session" with MS Teams (which I don't want to have to install if I don't have to.

Is there a way to get the link to watch on web?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm not sure what you mean. There's no link per se, just follow these steps.

At least that's how I think it should work.
Christine Benz

Post by Christine Benz »

The Bogleheads Speaker Series kicks off THIS SATURDAY. I'm so excited that everyone will get to hear from Carl Richards in the first event (Saturday, Nov. 14) and from Dan Ariely on December 5. I'll be interviewing Carl this Saturday, drawing from questions that many of you have already submitted.

Please join us by registering here! https://web.cvent.com/event/a6933eef-96 ... 63/summary

I'm grateful to both Carl and Dan for donating their time to speak to us. Please stay tuned for more wonderful speakers coming up in 2021!

Christine Benz
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Only two days until the first Bogleheads Speaker Series event with Carl Richards moderated by Christine Benz.

Register up now> Bogleheads Speaker Series
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I just clicked on the “join the session” link per the email and it said the link is invalid.

I guess they don’t want people to attend.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

HueyLD wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:26 am I just clicked on the “join the session” link per the email and it said the link is invalid.

I guess they don’t want people to attend.
You’re about a day early. Session is on Saturday. I expect that the link will work then. :D
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Topic Author
Bogle Center

Post by Bogle Center »

We are excited about tomorrow's event with Carl Richards and Christine Benz. It’s going to be terrific.

Register HERE for the Bogleheads Speaker Series Live video events

Everyone is a volunteer. Donations are greatly appreciated!

The Bogle Center Board